Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,639 members, 7,801,858 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:20 AM

Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? (34871 Views)

Understanding Female Circumcision And Its Effect On The Girl Child / Female Circumcision Still Pratice In Nigeria!!! / Why Is Male Circumcision More Acceptable Than Female Circumcision? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by mosiate(f): 8:48pm On Sep 29, 2005
Is anything wrong with female circumsion? I heard that females that are circumcised do not have urges. Maybe that's why some Nairaland girls (I refuse to mention names) lipsrsealed do not have urge. Some say it will not make ladies promiscuous, whatever. I believe there are people that know better about this, they should please educate me?
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by hotangel2(f): 12:50am On Sep 30, 2005
Female circumcision i believe is done so that the girl will no be "do oko kiri adugbo"(nigerians know the meaning). I seriously dont know why they would wanna circumsize a girl. It's weird. what do they cut? Any pictures? lipsrsealed

Anyways yeah.. it's done so that the girl will not have sexual urges.. Hmm.. i cant wait for the elders to contribute. smiley
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by Latoya(f): 11:33am On Sep 30, 2005
HA what does this mean?"do oko kiri adugbo"(nigerians know the meaning).

female circumsion is to stop women feeling****not to run after man.it makes them not to even feel hurny not to talk of having sex.What is wrong with it is that its an abuse to womanhood.
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by kamakula: 4:15am On Oct 04, 2005
why do people not want girls to have sexual urges?

In our society, its not like girls are typically going around picking up guys anyway?

If anything, there could be reason for reducing the sexual urge of guys given the way society currently operates.
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by vexxy(f): 12:19am On Oct 05, 2005
I'm not exactly sure but I believe it's when the clitoris of the woman is cut off. Very painful, I imagine seeing as though there are 4000 nerve endings there.

I highly doubt that it can stop one from having sexual urges since they do no originate from that origin.
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by flickr: 12:20am On Oct 05, 2005
well, research has shown (though not exactly definite), that female circumcision does correlate to reduced sexual desire. Not sure how, but there is a link.
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by vexxy(f): 12:29am On Oct 05, 2005
You may have a point. One could feel ashamed of the mutilation and not wanting others to see them the way they are they stay away from thoughts of that nature. I'll have to do more research on it.
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by Owen(m): 12:37pm On Oct 10, 2005
Everything is wrong with it angry

1 Like

Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by Seun(m): 1:03pm On Oct 10, 2005
They cut your clitoris. This makes sex very painful for some, while and the 'lucky' ones will only be unable to experience orgasm. It is a wicked act perpetrated by wicked and stupid people.

Imagine the damage that will be done to a marriage in which the woman can't enjoy sex with her husband because of something her parents did to her. Or a situation where the act of sex is very painful. Female circumsition if like cutting off the tip of a man's penis because you don't want him to enjox sex. The clitoris is the female equivalent of a man's penis.

Ok, I think I have made my point. Female circumsition is evil and any parent who circumsizes a child in the year 2005 deserves to be imprisoned. angry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by Nobody: 5:09pm On Oct 10, 2005
but if it's only the "head" that has been cut away, it's the woman still able to experience orgasm through indirect stimulation?
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by vexxy(f): 5:13pm On Oct 10, 2005
Orgasm is normally reached through stimulation of the clitoris. It's the only ONLY part of the female body that's made strictly for pleasure. Men don't even have a part of the body only used for pleasure. There are over 4,000 nerve endings there.

You may also reach orgasm though stimulation of the G spot during intercourse but you must use certain sexual positions to reach that specific area.

It's cruel and unsual punishement and whomever does it should go directly to jail.
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by joshjosh(m): 10:51pm On Oct 13, 2005
mmmmmmmmm if you thought education was expensive try ignorance they say. illeteracy which is not just lack of education is a very cruel thing. it rubs one of dignity and decency. i am not for any form of mutilation.

i must ask how some of you knew the aim of circumcission which is done not only for female both male kids too. so uncircumcised sisters enjoy sex than circumcised sisters? i dont think so. well you tell me. i have not finished my education

as far as i know almost every girl i grew up with in my area were circumcised and i know too that they were sexually active even before 15. when i went to the boarding house at around 11/12yrs of age most of the girls that came into school with us were almost glorified prostitutes including the ones you would say were villagers.

in my five yrs at secondary school, i cannot remember any girl apart from the token SU and the deeper life people that were not sexually active. and since you asked the teachers took them as ex-gratia payment for their services to the education of the nation. i wish some of those people can be jailed but looking back most of those "repressed circumcised" were willing participants and i just asked my 2 sisters who were with me at school then as senior and junior too. some of these alleged sexually repressed babes ended up marrying these monsters any way.

ok i hear that people are not enjoying sex because of some clit being cut. pls give me a break. where did you guys grow up? you mean to convince me most women we have in nigeria are sexually frustrated? i dont buy that. i always thought sex was more than the joystick being in the right place business.

again i am not saying any one should be circumcised but i dont buy the idea that libido drops because some skin has been stretched. and i suggest it is mostly done to make that part of the anatomy look beautiful and since you ask this is one of the thing that attracts the white people to the black woman. i am not charging for this info. if you have seen most caucasian parts you will thank God for these things.

for those of you in the know. most uncircumcised willy and xxxxxxxxx looks unsightly in my opinion. i dont believe everything african custom and practice is bad. the lovely ms winfrey and her group dont have answers to all things black. circumcision started way back biblical times.

now if you are married go celebrate the tonight if you are not good things come to those who wait. sex is not all it is cooked up by the media to be. we have only one life let's use it well. there is more to life's beauty and joy than sex. and o sex in its right context and enviroment is great. oooo thanks be to good for the great things He has done. only a wise God like Him could have created something so pleasurable cut or no cut. i hope i didnt spoil any one.

have a good evening

2 Likes

Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by Seun(m): 12:21am On Oct 14, 2005
The fact that a woman isn't enjoying sex doesn't prevent her from having sex with a teacher to win a favor or having sex with boys in class out of curiousity (or a desire for gifts or attention) and pretending to enjoy it. Remember, when it comes to sex, women are experts at pretending.

I won't pretend to be an expert, but please read:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/medical_notes/241221.stm (BBC)

1 Like

Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by joshjosh(m): 11:41am On Oct 14, 2005
i am not any white man hater. i am not a racist. in fact i admire many things about them. half of the people on auntie "BBC" pay roll are on drugs at any one time and are homosexuals. i take whatever they say about these things with a pinch of salt.

they like the police are what we call institutional racist and that is not my opinion but that of LOrd McPherson and his inquiry.

the culture of bozz and drugs amongst the caucasian fuels their promiscuity and not their uncircumcission. high libido for a lady i would imagine is a state of mind rather than clitoral erection or pleasure. give me abused uncircumcised lady and tell me how aroused she was and i will tell you how fulfilled a circumcised lady enjoys being respected and treathed well for the human being she is rather than a sex object.

ok i know some people's brain is between their legs but do we spend 10% of our life time doing sexual things. what about good old love. sex is not what it is cracked up to be my dear brother.

i stand to be corrected though. i am all hears now. have a great day
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by nferyn(m): 9:50pm On Oct 19, 2005
joshjosh:

i am not any white man hater. i am not a racist. in fact i admire many things about them. half of the people on auntie "BBC" pay roll are on drugs at any one time and are homosexuals. i take whatever they say about these things with a pinch of salt.

they like the police are what we call institutional racist and that is not my opinion but that of LOrd McPherson and his inquiry.

the culture of bozz and drugs amongst the caucasian fuels their promiscuity and not their uncircumcission. high libido for a lady i would imagine is a state of mind rather than clitoral erection or pleasure. give me abused uncircumcised lady and tell me how aroused she was and i will tell you how fulfilled a circumcised lady enjoys being respected and treathed well for the human being she is rather than a sex object.

ok i know some people's brain is between their legs but do we spend 10% of our life time doing sexual things. what about good old love. sex is not what it is cracked up to be my dear brother.

And what's your point? Do you think everything is well and dandy with female genital mutilation?

Btw, male circumcision is just cutting of the foreskin, nothing even remotely close to female circumcision;
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by nferyn(m): 10:00pm On Oct 19, 2005
joshjosh:

Everyone that starts a sentence with a denial such as i am not any white man hater. i am not a racist. usually is just that: a racist

Or what would you call:

* they like the police are what we call institutional racist

Meaning? Could you make an argument out of this gibberish

* the culture of bozz and drugs amongst the caucasian fuels their promiscuity

How can you call this anything else but racist?

* in fact i admire many things about them

rolleyes rolleyes They make fantastic music full of rhythm, they know how to dance and have such good athletes rolleyes rolleyes wanna go on?

1 Like

Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by joshjosh(m): 9:58am On Oct 20, 2005
yes go on becuase in belgium everything is great.  you  missed my earlier post didn't you? 

i actually said  " mmmmmmmmm  if you thought education was expensive try ignorance they say. illeteracy which is not just lack of education is a very cruel thing. it rubs one of dignity and decency.   i am not for any form of mutilation

i am not into hating any race. call me racist as much as u like brother. it is your opinion and i think u are entitled to it.  and in my books the white man has no copyright on wisdom and health.  not even sexual health.

have a good  day
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by nferyn(m): 10:04am On Oct 20, 2005
joshjosh:

yes go on becuase in belgium everything is great.

I'm sorry... it certainly is not. I [b]hate [/b]the racist tendencies of most Belgians and I - as everyone - need to question myself constantly not to fall into the trap of ethnocentric thinking

But honestly, what does this have to do with the topic?
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by nferyn(m): 10:45am On Oct 20, 2005
joshjosh:

yes go on becuase in belgium everything is great. you missed my earlier post didn't you?

i actually said " mmmmmmmmm if you thought education was expensive try ignorance they say. illeteracy which is not just lack of education is a very cruel thing. it rubs one of dignity and decency. i am not for any form of mutilation

I'm in agreement with you on this - no point in arguing here.

joshjosh:

i am not into hating any race. call me racist as much as u like brother. it is your opinion and i think u are entitled to it. and in my books the white man has no copyright on wisdom and health. not even sexual health.

have a good day

See, just look into your own heart and re-read what you just put here.

1. Racism does not have to be hating, differentiating in thought and action is sufficient.
2. You're talking about opinions, while I pointed out what you wrote can easily be described as racist. You make derogatory remarks based on perceived characteristics of a group, which for convenience's sake could be called a 'race'
3. You assume there are races here. There is only one race, the human race. Among the human race you have different groups that have some visual and cultural markers on a group level. On the level of the individual, this does not mean anything, especially when you are trying to differentiate individuals on that basis
4. There is no copyright by anyone on wisdom or knowledge, it is hear earned through education and experience, but false ideas remain false regardless of their origin. Labeling something as 'white' to avoid criticism is escaping a real debate. Let's just look at the merits of the arguments
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by fabian(f): 11:47am On Oct 20, 2005
Please let's drop this racism thing, i believe that any one who wastes his/her time hating on the other race is just plain stupid. lets not even mention it here because I want to believe all Nairalanders have respect for other peoples races, relegions, etc.

Back to the topic.
Female circumcision is totally wrong, because its the mutilation of women's genital organs. For whatever reason should that be done? For men, its approved in the Bible- shedding of their foreskin (if you believe in the Bible, that is)
I have heard all kinds of silly reasons the people who practice this give, but the most popular is that they want to curb them of waywardness (i.e. early sexual participation)
Don't they know that it will be better if they[i] taught[/i] young girls that it is better to wait for the right time to have sex and the other disadvantages of unprotected sex, etc.
Anyway, Female Circumcision should be a Punishable offense.
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by nferyn(m): 1:50pm On Oct 20, 2005
fabian:

Please let's drop this racism thing, i believe that any one who wastes his/her time hating on the other race is just plain stupid. lets not even mention it here because I want to believe all Nairalanders have respect for other peoples races, relegions, etc.
Okay, let's make that assumptions

fabian:

Back to the topic.
Female circumcision is totally wrong, because its the mutilation of women's genital organs. For whatever reason should that be done? For men, its approved in the Bible- shedding of their foreskin (if you believe in the Bible, that is)
I have heard all kinds of silly reasons the people who practice this give, but the most popular is that they want to curb them of waywardness (i.e. early sexual participation)
Don't they know that it will be better if they[i] taught[/i] young girls that it is better to wait for the right time to have sex and the other disadvantages of unprotected sex, etc.
Anyway, Female Circumcision should be a Punishable offense.

Isn't it already a punishable offence? Maybe not enforced, but punishable nonetheless
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by vexxy(f): 1:55pm On Oct 20, 2005
I know of it being a punishable offense in the US but I wasn't aware that it was in other countries, especially those who practice is as custom.

If that's the case, good! Now we need to find a way to make it come to practice. What's the use of a law if it's not upheld?
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by fabian(f): 2:03pm On Oct 20, 2005
I don't know if its punishable by law here in Nigeria, though I know that a lot of people are making efforts to abolish the act. I am not too sure now. I'll find out and get back on the topic.
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by Nobody: 3:00pm On Oct 20, 2005
as a girl who has been injustly circumcised i hope this won't happen to other girls! i felt very bad when my mum told me that part of my clitoris has been cut away, i felt even worse for the reason she gave me: "We thought it could grow too big!" what a stupid and foolish answer! this is what made me even angrier that a part of me has been cut away just because of the ignorance of my mother! Too terrible to bear!
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by nferyn(m): 3:58pm On Oct 20, 2005
I suppose it's more common among some tribes. My wife's Edo as well and she was circumcised (luckily not completely). It's only after she reached Europe that she became aware of what a horrible practice it is. Her sister is also in Europe and as she is married to an Edo man, there was a lot of pressure from the family to have her baby daughters circumcised.

It took me and my wife long hours of discussing to make sure she wouldn't do it. I even had to say that if she were to do so, I would report it to the authorities. I'm happy it didn't have to go that far.

Mind you, the pressure was really coming from the women in the family, not the men
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by vexxy(f): 4:00pm On Oct 20, 2005
nferyn: Mind you, the pressure was really coming from the women in the family, not the men

Why do you think that is?
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by nferyn(m): 4:08pm On Oct 20, 2005
vexxy:

Why do you think that is?

I have a theory, but I'm not sure you'll like it:

Women are usually the guardians of their own oppression, because they have more often a tendency to conform to society's norms. You can see this for example when muslim girls defend [i]their right [/i]not only to wear a shador, but even a burkha sad

On a more basic level, it could also be that these women thought that what they had to go through should also be done to their children/grand children/nieces (but of course, that's just a guess, I cannot scoop into their brains)
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by vexxy(f): 4:11pm On Oct 20, 2005
I asked because I was thinking the exact same thing.

But it also seems that those who have been in that sort of opression for so long claim it as their own so they in turn cannot help but defend it.
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by nferyn(m): 4:19pm On Oct 20, 2005
An interesting take on the continued persistance of ideas, even overall negative ones, in a culture is the concept of memes: ideas as replicators (comparable to genes). Negative idea's could be described as viruses for their hosts.

Meme is a term invented by Richard Dawkins, but further ellaborated by Susan Blackmoore and others
see: http://www.susanblackmore.co.uk/Books/Meme%20Machine/mmsynop.html and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by vexxy(f): 4:33pm On Oct 20, 2005
We do have a deep tendency to mimic those who influence us. One day we say something that sounds so familiar. We then stop and say, "Oh my, I've turned into my mother/father!"

Human behavior is so intriguing.
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by WesleyanA(f): 1:41am On Nov 02, 2005
what's wrong with it? EVERYTHING is wrong with it.
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by Blklov(m): 12:37pm On Nov 03, 2005
Message to Josh Josh namely the stupid man who thinks that what is having between the legs is just to piss off everyday and to Bleep off once a week timed equally to what he spends on pissing.

No wonder the marvellous Africa is condemned to ostracism and backwardness,... if only some of it's men are like JoshJosh... It'll never develop...
Some Nigerian boys here over Europe have told me : In Nigeria women are no having rights ...... !!!!!...... What a reasonable fact....
If the Nigerian women were having rights and power in Nigeria they would cut off the useless joysticks of people like JoshJosh leaving them with only a small tip for what is their real use : To piss off......

Dear JoshJosh open your mind and your ears wide and listen to what your sisters say... : They don't want to be mutilated, they want to be free...
By the Grace of the Allmighty God, one day African women will be free and have their rights too... I pray for it everyday...

Note : My wife is a beautiful African woman with a mutilated clit... And with a mutilated sexuality thanks to people like JoshJosh... Who think that sex is just a men pleasure and as fast and furious as better...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Does 'Have A Drink' Mean In The Western Society? / Pictures Of Lovely Geles You Wouldn't Mind Wearing? / Ooni Ogunwusi Gets The Key Of Sumerset, Franklin Township In America. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.