Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,810 members, 7,802,608 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:15 PM

Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? (34872 Views)

Understanding Female Circumcision And Its Effect On The Girl Child / Female Circumcision Still Pratice In Nigeria!!! / Why Is Male Circumcision More Acceptable Than Female Circumcision? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by omowhyou(m): 5:32pm On Jul 02, 2007
female circumcision is bad for the female because it deprive them of sexual satisfaction. God did not say women should be circumcised, it for men and it's for a purpose. those enforcing it should be arrested.
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by moondust(m): 5:35pm On Jul 03, 2007
everything is wrong with it
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by Elgaxton(m): 4:30pm On Jul 17, 2007
Na question be dis!

allow them circumcise u or ur sister now then u go know wether anything dey wrong wit am
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by Nobody: 5:17pm On Jul 17, 2007
Female circumcision is babaric! angry Why the hell would anyone want to mutilate the female Instruments??
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by omowhyou(m): 11:19am On Jul 18, 2007
To deprive the females sexual satisfaction. I personally think it's about time our government should set up a law that will punish offenders. This tradition must stop.
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by finemocha(f): 11:24pm On Jul 19, 2007
u know, if we all start cutting of guys' dicks they would be less promiscious as well.
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by omowhyou(m): 8:51am On Jul 20, 2007
That will be very wicked. But, as u know without THAT THING u lady's will have nothing to fight for any more, it's gives u the best time of ur life. So why the cutting?
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by MsEbz(f): 11:29am On Jul 28, 2007
Everything is wrong with it, it's maiming someone's precious genitals period no matter what reasons or w/e, it makes it seem like their is something wrong with female sexuality or pleasure for a woman, female circumcision is selfish and worse than barbaric. I don't even know where to begin, it makes no sense as to why anyone would think it's okay, it's sick
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by spoilt(f): 9:46pm On Jul 30, 2007
seems to me that its almost unanimous that female circumcision is archaic and out dated so how come its still being done? who are these people still hacking up their daughters?
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by Galadriel(f): 9:55pm On Jul 30, 2007
Female Circumcision, what's wrong with it?

Everything!!!! Its a horrible nightmare that I would never wish upon my enemy's daughter!
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by sage(m): 9:37pm On Jul 31, 2007
Copied from Vanguard

http://www.vanguardngr.com/articles/2002/columns/human/ha31072007.html

David, (45), a banker revealed that he was planning to take his two-year old daughter for circumcision at the end of the year. He explains why, and gives insight into some methods used in the olden days to keep the chastity of young girls. Read on:

The level of development of girls is so advanced that they are capable of doing things that their parents can’t even imagine. A friend of mine is dating one secondary school girl on the side because he has a girlfriend he intends to marry whom we all know. He is a divorcee. He told us that the girl is better in bed than his fiancé. The way this girl dresses alone is enough to convince you that she must be something else. And to make matters worse, she was the one that threw herself at him by force. And my friend said he was forced to accept her advances so that she will not ridicule him among her peers in the neighbourhood. And just when he thought he would just take her to bed a couple of times and dump her, he is the one that is doing the chasing around now.

The other day, three young girls were discussing at the back of my window at home. The oldest of them couldn’t have been more than 14-15 years. I was shocked at what was coming out of these children’s mouths. Two of them were trying to persuade the third on the need to allow herself to be deflowered at barely twelve years. That it is no longer fashionable to be a virgin and that when other young girls discover, they will make fun of her, and call her a bush girl. Can you imagine that?
Recently in our neighbourhood, a 17-year- old girl just gave birth to a baby for their Mallam. We heard through gossips of course, that the girl had been engaged in sexual activities right from age eight. Her teacher was their houseboy who lived with them for nine years.

According to the story, the girl confessed that the houseboy used to do it with her every blessed (or is it cursed) day. Immediately he left, she descended on the gate man because she could not hold her desires anymore. The family I’m talking about is a very rich one, in fact, the father is a celebrity of sort. These are people we used to look at as being above board with the hope that one will be like them some day. You can imagine the disgrace she has brought to the family, because she has had the gate man’s baby. Naturally, the man has been sent packing, but that doesn’t erase the fact that the baby is his own. It is a matter of time before the man will return for his child.

This is why I think that apart from teaching them how to keep one’s self-respect, there is need for a kind of precautionary measure to be put in place. That was why I wanted to go and have her circumcised, but now that I am better enlightened about the health implications, I will not do it again. I don’t have a clear cut idea what I will do yet, but there are other methods available.

In the olden days, there were other methods that were used on young girls to ensure they were not messed up before marriage too. It included the use of juju and since that too has its own demerits and it’s not even advisable in this day and age, I still don’t know yet. But I know that I will not go for circumcision again.

Can you explain some of these methods? The methods? I can’t say all of them, but I know of the one that they will put padlock in place, not physically. The padlock will be kept somewhere, and it’s actual mission is to stop anything entering the young girl. Until the padlock is unlocked by the parents or those who know about it, the girl remains a virgin. Another is to wear beads or cord around her waist, some call it Bebedi. I think it is now in vogue again among ladies. You see the beads peeping out of their waist bands when they wear skirts or a pair of trousers. Some even have bebedi made from gold or other expensive trinkets. But the bebedi I’m talking about is not like these ones.

This one is medicinal, it has mystical powers. While the girl is wearing it, nobody can get there unless he knows the password to break it. There is a very good motive behind most of the things our forefathers did. You know that such a method can help in the prevention of rape in the society now that the thing is so rampant and women are always so helpless. To make matters worse, it is difficult so seek redress for rape. I know that personally, I will just kill anybody that does that to my daughter, unless she can not identify the person or people. So, you see that this circumcision thing too must have its own merits.

In essence, what I’m trying to say is that there are immense benefits in the culture and traditions of our people, it is because we do not take time to examine them that we end up with all these mix ups. The western ideas have bastardised everything and this is not good. Even the people we are copying have their own cultures and traditions and they are not going to condemn them for our sake.

I would prefer a situation where we will sift the good from the bad and make use of the good ones in this modern times. This circumcision thing we have talked about now is very good, at least health wise.

Now that I know it has grave health implications, I can decide that I will not do it for my daughter. But there is nothing wrong in the other two or three examples I have explained to you. Nobody will get hurt as long as they obey the rules. But, people will shy away from it because they say it is juju, it is archaic and it is against religious practices.

Well, what do we then expect from a society that is not being guided by any rules, there are no checks to stop people from doing evil, or immoral acts. And these are the reasons why the crime rate in the western world are so high. Once you commit a crime and luck shines on you such that you are not caught, you can get away with even murder. And even when you are caught, they take you to the courts where the court processes can take eternity. At the end of the day, the culprit may still walk away free. So, where are the checks and balances.

There is nothing one can say right now that you will not have something negative to say about it. So I will just keep quiet. Honestly, I will not seek the circumcision alternative again. I have told you, there are other methods one can use to make sure that a girl child stays clean and pure until her wedding night. I will still be searching for the right one to adopt for my daughter.

Siji (54), a businessman says it is unheard of where he comes from. He has this to say:
Female circumcision is done almost in all cultures, but where I come from, they do not circumcise women. The Ijebus do not circumcise their women. Just as it is unheard of in some cultures that a woman is not circumcised, so it is unheard of in Ijebuland that you should circumcise women. Perhaps, that is why people say derogatory things about the chastity of Ijebu women. They say the Ijebu woman is wayward and can’t be satisfied by one man.

Some say that any man who marries an Ijebu woman becomes her slave. They even say that the Ijebus have a lot of mystical powers, that they use them for their female children to succeed in their marriages. But this is not so because they forget that the Ijebu community also comprises of men. why would any sane thinking group of people, empower its women to oppress the men? Or are they saying that Ijebu women don’t marry Ijebu men? These are all lies. Any Ijebu woman who does not know how to entertain and care for her man is not a true Ijebu woman. And the same goes for the Ijebu man. They are more like their Lagos counterpart in terms of social life. They love to party and just live good generally. So, no one will take kindly to acts that will affect the peace of mind and enjoyment of the other person. Perhaps, that is why Ijebu people do not circumcise their daughters. And if they do so in some parts of Ijebu land, I ma yet to hear of it.

So what is your take on the practice of circumcision? Naturally, the un-circumcised women are better than circumcised ones. I have read that there is something special about the power of the clitoris. God knows why He put it there. If it is not good, He would not have placed it there and in such a position too. So, personally, I think it is good. I am pleased with myself and my woman when we ake love and I am able to satisfy her. What is the joy of making love if the woman will not enjoy it? It is as if you are raping the woman. And if she is not responding to my efforts, I get turned off.

Personally, I don’t like frigid women, they deflate a man’s ego. Many of them just lie down there waiting for you to finish the job, and I can tell you from experience that there is no enjoyment in that. That is why I am always amused when I hear stories about men forcing or intimidating women into sexual affairs. How do you go to bed with a women who has no feelings for you? Something must be wrong with either of them. But because human beings are complex creatures, for the man, the instinct to subdue the female may be overwhelming. For me, I don’t like it. I am Ijebu, my wife is Ijebu, so my children cannot be circumcised.
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by sage(m): 9:40pm On Jul 31, 2007
I posted one last week i think, but looks like Seun deleted it

A man in that one blamed not circumsising women for the present state of society and concluded it by beign hypocritic and saying he wanted a circumsised woman as a wife and one not circumsised as a mistress . He says making love to the uncircumsised woman is better coz she responds but he still wants his wife circumsised
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by Galadriel(f): 2:41pm On Aug 01, 2007
Some people are still considering this now!!! God save we girls oh!!!
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by american1(f): 4:26am On Aug 05, 2007
I think Female Circumcision is plain Masochism in its rawest form. I say this because it is suppose to stop the women from having pleasure during sex. Why should the man have all the pleasure aren't women worthy of having pleasure as much as the man. To cut a womens clitoris off is disgusting and savage. angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by k0be: 7:57am On Aug 05, 2007
chineke meeeeee, still scratching my head.
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by koolnd: 9:50am On Aug 19, 2014
Female genital: In many countries of the world, the female gender has always been subjected to all kinds of agonizing and traditional practices that have a long way in dehumanizing them

http://www.scharticles.com/practice-female-genital-mutilation-cutting-duruigwe/
Re: Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? by zachzach: 4:22pm On Jul 19, 2017
Vongauche:
I am not against it because it is yet to be proven that (at least, i have no experience of the fact that) circumsised females DO NOT have less libido than their uncircumsised counterparts. I will be all for it if it could be done hygenically by a licenced medical pratictioner and at birth.

Based on my girlfriend, she definitely doesn't have a reduced libido (in fact very much the opposite) but that's not the issue, it's that circumcision of girls makes it harder if not impossible for them to orgasm.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Does 'Have A Drink' Mean In The Western Society? / Pictures Of Lovely Geles You Wouldn't Mind Wearing? / Ooni Ogunwusi Gets The Key Of Sumerset, Franklin Township In America. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.