Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,307 members, 7,808,041 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:30 AM

Policeman Battered By Naval Officer Goes Blind (pictured) - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Policeman Battered By Naval Officer Goes Blind (pictured) (34693 Views)

Hairstylist Battered By Her Jealous Husband In Lagos (photos) / Soon-To-Wed Fake Naval Officer Arrested In Lagos (photo) / Naval Officer Mistaken For A Robber, Lynched In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Policeman Battered By Naval Officer Goes Blind (pictured) by lalasticlala(m): 12:16pm On Dec 27, 2014
Now begs to eat, calls for justice

BY JOB OSAZUWA AND CHIZOBA IKENWA

When Emmanuel Mbilla was enlisted into the Nigeri­an Police Force 31 years ago, he might have dreamt of serving the country meritoriously and gloriously before handing over the baton to the next generation. Such dream has now been shattered by one ugly encounter with a naval officer.

Just four years for the long serving of­ficer to say goodbye to serving his country in uniform, what seems a tragedy struck on February 22 which abruptly cut short his long anticipated exit from the force. The singular incident had steadily sunk hole into his pocket, leaving him to now beg before he eats.

The victim’s second wife, Patience Mbilla, who witnessed the incident, told Saturday Sun that it all started when the naval officer, Enejor, drove recklessly to hit the pavement of her shop with his ve­hicle.

It has been nine months since the As­sistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) has been suffering after being allegedly attacked on the eye by the naval rating, identified as Warrant Officer Unaji Ene­jor on February 22 in the Kirikiri area of Lagos State.

Saturday Sun learnt that the 50-year-old victim had suffered glaucoma on his left eye before the incident, and a punch from his attacker on his right eye dealt a big blow to his overall sight.

All efforts made by Mbilla to regain his failing sight proved abortive. He told Saturday Sun that he had visited many hospitals in Lagos in a quest for a cure for his battered eye.

Presently, the policeman, who was previously doing virtually everything on his own, including driving his car, has now turned vegetable, relying on his two wives for help.

In her narration, the second wife said: “My husband and I were in my shop, when we suddenly heard a loud noise like a crash just outside my shop. We rushed out, only to find out that the pavement at my shop was hit by a vehicle. My hus­band told the driver of the vehicle to find a solution to what he had done, but the driver quickly identified himself as a na­val officer and told us to get out, boasting that we could not do nothing. My husband also identified himself as a police officer.

“The man wanted to escape, but my husband refused him, only for the na­val officer to forcefully hit my husband in the eye with the car key. My husband fell to the floor, screaming for help. At that point, the naval officer ran away but unfortunately for him, his car got stuck in a gutter. It was the sympathizers that were running after him that were able to stop him from escaping. Two other na­val men immediately came and wanted to help their colleague escape but the crowd overwhelmed them, and the assailant was eventually taken to the Kirikiri Police Division. Later, the case was transferred to Panti, Yaba, where he was released on bail.”

Saturday Sun further gathered that an investigative panel was set up to look into the incident by the naval command. But Mrs Mbilla accused the Navy of hiding the suspect.

“The police have written letters to the Navy. They sent two officers from the Navy to enquire about the incident. I told them what I knew about the matter and they promised to return to meet my hus­band, but we have not seen them since then. I believe they are hiding the naval officer from us. We demand justice,” she stated.

Speaking on the challenges they have been facing in the aftermath of the inci­dent, she said that life had been tough for them as their financial well has run dry and they now run from pillar to post to fend for the family.

“Since the incident, it has not been easy for me and my family. We have spent all we have on treatment; going for one test after other in different hospitals and eye check centres. My husband can’t do anything anymore as I have to be with him 24 hours to take care of his needs. We have spent over a million naira and I have sold almost all the valuables we have.

“He always feels pain and headache. We still buy drugs weekly. We want the Navy to produce the officer that attacked my husband so that he can share in our burden. Most importantly, we want justice to take its course but without further de­lay”, she lamented.

She also pleaded with well meaning Nigerians, authorities including the Lagos State government and NGOs to come to their aid financially and otherwise.

The victim, who hails from Ohafia Lo­cal Government Area in Abia State, is the only surviving child of his parents, with two wives and six children under his roof. Until his blindness, he was the breadwin­ner of his family.

Before he was rendered blind, the re­tirement plan, it was gathered, of the po­liceman who was a United Nations Peace Keeping ambassador was to establish a security outfit.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=97336

Re: Policeman Battered By Naval Officer Goes Blind (pictured) by Nobody: 12:18pm On Dec 27, 2014
Nigerian force is something else. Policemen, naval officers, custom officers, the NA et al, all acting as if they re above the law. They don't obey traffic rules.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Policeman Battered By Naval Officer Goes Blind (pictured) by sortpub(m): 12:20pm On Dec 27, 2014
I dont understand this competition amidst Nigeria arm forces, i thought they are meant to protect the nation against internal insurection and external aggresion. But instead they prefer to fight the citizens and themselves.
Lord have mercy

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Policeman Battered By Naval Officer Goes Blind (pictured) by Abduletudaye(m): 12:21pm On Dec 27, 2014
angry

Lalasticlala abi?? This is going to FP for sure...

He's using jazz angry

6 Likes

Re: Policeman Battered By Naval Officer Goes Blind (pictured) by Nobody: 12:23pm On Dec 27, 2014
That's so bad. Terrible.

2 Likes

Re: Policeman Battered By Naval Officer Goes Blind (pictured) by temitemi1(m): 12:25pm On Dec 27, 2014
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Policeman Battered By Naval Officer Goes Blind (pictured) by Nobody: 12:28pm On Dec 27, 2014
It's a good thing to be strong. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Policeman Battered By Naval Officer Goes Blind (pictured) by SeverusSnape(m): 12:28pm On Dec 27, 2014
So unfortunate... He should sue the Nigerian Navy, I'm sure the case will be ruled in his favour, I still recall the young lady that was battered and beaten blue black by some navy personnel some years back, She sued the Navy and was compensated with millions. Let this man do the same, Some of these military men are just full of themselves and need to be taught a lesson or two.

8 Likes

Re: Policeman Battered By Naval Officer Goes Blind (pictured) by remsonik1: 12:30pm On Dec 27, 2014
Wickedness....seems every uniformed man belonging to the armed forces in this country is an animal

1 Like

Re: Policeman Battered By Naval Officer Goes Blind (pictured) by AutosBay(m): 12:34pm On Dec 27, 2014
What a pity.

1 Like

Re: Policeman Battered By Naval Officer Goes Blind (pictured) by Nobody: 12:41pm On Dec 27, 2014
They should go and batter tompolo or those insurgents up north

3 Likes

Re: Policeman Battered By Naval Officer Goes Blind (pictured) by size38: 12:41pm On Dec 27, 2014
This is a good news. Nigerian police are full of nonsense. Eg Mathew mbu.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Policeman Battered By Naval Officer Goes Blind (pictured) by Dapresident(m): 12:42pm On Dec 27, 2014
Ok oO we don hear.. FP tinz
Re: Policeman Battered By Naval Officer Goes Blind (pictured) by size38: 12:43pm On Dec 27, 2014
This is a good news. Nigerian police are full of nonsense. Eg Mathew mbu. I feel very, very happy each time I hear of d military officers dealing with d police.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Policeman Battered By Naval Officer Goes Blind (pictured) by Collynzo22: 12:49pm On Dec 27, 2014
size38:
This is a good news. Nigerian police are full of nonsense. Eg Mathew mbu. I feel very, very happy each time I hear of d military officers dealing with d police.
You are an evil man with a 38 Kb brain.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Policeman Battered By Naval Officer Goes Blind (pictured) by seangy4konji: 12:50pm On Dec 27, 2014
Ehh yaaaa.

She hi na police self wan render some couples blind some weeks ago for no reason.

Na scores be day and still counting.

Make god help am. It fit be d karma if some people weh him self don make their life miserable at some point.

#justsaying.

1 Like

Re: Policeman Battered By Naval Officer Goes Blind (pictured) by Lusaint(m): 12:50pm On Dec 27, 2014
Sori o
Re: Policeman Battered By Naval Officer Goes Blind (pictured) by AdmiralISAAC(m): 12:53pm On Dec 27, 2014
Power corrupts angry

1 Like

Re: Policeman Battered By Naval Officer Goes Blind (pictured) by D9ty7(m): 12:54pm On Dec 27, 2014
And in case this makes frontpage, I WAS HERE.
---- Now back to the topic
All those uniformed men think they are somewhat above the law. But hey! Do we have laws in this country? I doubt it.

1 Like

Re: Policeman Battered By Naval Officer Goes Blind (pictured) by Nobody: 12:56pm On Dec 27, 2014
Nigeria Armed Forces sef...
Using wicked force since 1960 angry
I think the naval officer should be produced and made to face the law. Imagine using a metal to hit the sight organ in an unexpected mannerism...sorry police officer. Two wives sef and plenty children...may we not be confronted with a difficult situation like this next year. Amen.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Policeman Battered By Naval Officer Goes Blind (pictured) by tnthommie(m): 12:57pm On Dec 27, 2014
Bad
Re: Policeman Battered By Naval Officer Goes Blind (pictured) by alberto2k(m): 1:03pm On Dec 27, 2014
I say dis one is strONG undecided

1 Like

Re: Policeman Battered By Naval Officer Goes Blind (pictured) by Rapmaestro(m): 1:07pm On Dec 27, 2014
SeverusSnape:
So unfortunate... He should sue the Nigerian Navy, I'm sure the case will be ruled in his favour, I still recall the young lady that was battered and beaten blue black by some navy personnel some years back, She sued the Navy and was compensated with millions. Let this man do the same, Some of these military men are just full of themselves and need to be taught a lesson or two.
compensated ke? Here in Nigeria Wake up jo..
Re: Policeman Battered By Naval Officer Goes Blind (pictured) by SeverusSnape(m): 1:11pm On Dec 27, 2014
Rapmaestro:
compensated ke? Here in Nigeria Wake up jo..
Yes, They will. If he has a good legal team and witnesses, He'll surely win.
Re: Policeman Battered By Naval Officer Goes Blind (pictured) by Rapmaestro(m): 1:15pm On Dec 27, 2014
SeverusSnape:

Yes, They will. If he has a good legal team and witnesses, He'll surely win.
they'll keep adjoining abi na postponing till the complainant dies and by the way I was talkin about the woman you mentioned. How sure are you that she was compensated?

1 Like

Re: Policeman Battered By Naval Officer Goes Blind (pictured) by otokx(m): 1:16pm On Dec 27, 2014
Violence is not the way; trying to feel pity for the policeman but its not working. Some policemen are currently doing illegal road block at UNIPORT secondary school extorting Nigerians. There is another one on East West road at Obiri Ikwerre interchange. They are all over the place.
Re: Policeman Battered By Naval Officer Goes Blind (pictured) by SeverusSnape(m): 1:20pm On Dec 27, 2014
Rapmaestro:
they'll keep adjoining abi na postponing till the complainant dies and by the way I was talkin about the woman you mentioned. How sure are you that she was compensated?
She was compensated, It's something that made headlines all over the country then, That was 2006 or so. The incident was recorded on a mobile phone, The case lasted for some months.
Re: Policeman Battered By Naval Officer Goes Blind (pictured) by PerfumeRepublik: 1:20pm On Dec 27, 2014
sortpub:
I dont understand this competition amidst Nigeria arm forces, i thought they are meant to protect the nation against internal insurection and external aggresion. But instead they prefer to fight the citizens and themselves.
Lord have mercy
Re: Policeman Battered By Naval Officer Goes Blind (pictured) by Rapmaestro(m): 1:41pm On Dec 27, 2014
SeverusSnape:

She was compensated, It's something that made headlines all over the country then, That was 2006 or so. The incident was recorded on a mobile phone, The case lasted for some months.
yeah rii, this is Nigeria my bro. I have heard of an issue where the complainant was paid some amount to say he/she has been duly compensated.. The person, knowing fully well that if he/she did not collect the money, he/she would not be able to get any money.. What do you think that person will do? Ofcourse collect say like 100k and lie that he/she has been compensated.. Dunno sha o, jes sayin noni

1 Like

Re: Policeman Battered By Naval Officer Goes Blind (pictured) by Trailblazer1(m): 1:49pm On Dec 27, 2014
Though it is universally true that Power corrupts, the Nigerian case is exponentially unimaginable.

Every Tom, Dick and Harry in Nigeria vested with little power abuses it with impunity.
From the uniform men(force) to the semi-uniform(corporate Agbero) and non-uniform men (local agbero), all are power drunk. And from this hierarchy they oppress the less powerful till it gets to the powerless masses who bears the brunt of this ignominious charade.
When you see the military intimidating the police, you'll be forced to show compassion. The same police goes further to intimidate the corporate and local agbero, at the end all the aggression is transferred to the defenseless masses.

Power has now been converted to a tool for oppression and intimidation.

May God save us all from being victimized.

8 Likes

Re: Policeman Battered By Naval Officer Goes Blind (pictured) by Syphax(m): 1:51pm On Dec 27, 2014
I would have loved to make fun of him but he is from the same LGA with me.
Re: Policeman Battered By Naval Officer Goes Blind (pictured) by SeverusSnape(m): 1:53pm On Dec 27, 2014
Rapmaestro:
yeah rii, this is Nigeria my bro. I have heard of an issue where the complainant was paid some amount to say he/she has been duly compensated.. The person, knowing fully well that if he/she did not collect the money, he/she would not be able to get any money.. What do you think that person will do? Ofcourse collect say like 100k and lie that he/she has been compensated.. Dunno sha o, jes sayin noni
Okay... Let's just see how this one plays out.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Corper Who Was Killed While Trying To Prevent Robbery Buried Amidst Tears(pics) / Youths Burn Imo Police Station Over Killing Of Two Siblings (Photos) / "Missing" 300-Level Student, Priscilla Ojong Reunites With Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.