Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,275 members, 7,780,623 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:51 PM

Official: Alonso And Mikel's 'passing' Records - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Official: Alonso And Mikel's 'passing' Records (2632 Views)

Watch Costa Reaction To Being An Unused Substitute And Mikel's Expressions / Eden Hazard And Mikel Training Together,the Fans React [photo] / Difference Between Yaya Toure And Mikel Obi(and Every Other Nigerian Best) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Official: Alonso And Mikel's 'passing' Records by tocdee(m): 3:24pm On Dec 11, 2008
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N162481081211-1113.htm

Liverpool fans have known it for years but now it's official - Xabi Alonso is English football's pass master.
The midfielder became the first Premier League player to complete 1,000 successful passes during 2008-09 against Blackburn.

Opta stats show Alonso has hit 1,005 accurate passes this term, creating 26 goalscoring chances in the process.

Chelsea midfielder Jon Obi Mikel is second with 957 successful passes and 12 chances created.

Next comes Arsenal's Denilson (922 and 27), followed by Chelsea and England midfielder[b] Frank Lampard [/b] (901 and 48).

To think that the guy was almost forced out of Liverpool for Gareth Barry makes me cringe with disgust. Kudos to Mikel, now replicate it for your country and we'll probably win Fifa 2001! grin

Re: Official: Alonso And Mikel's 'passing' Records by tkb417(m): 3:38pm On Dec 11, 2008
so Denilson makes passes more than Carrick and Scholes?
where do u get these things from?
do they do drugs there?
Re: Official: Alonso And Mikel's 'passing' Records by Sauron1: 3:40pm On Dec 11, 2008
tkb417:

do they do drugs there?

Don't dwell on stats like passing. . . . . . . . .Most of Mikel's passes are sideways passes and backwards passes.
How many of those passes have led to goal assist?
How many of those are KEY passes?? That is where Anderson, Scholes and Carrick are superior.
Re: Official: Alonso And Mikel's 'passing' Records by DrKitaun(m): 4:00pm On Dec 11, 2008
Alonso pass master

grin grin grin

*hissing out of thread* embarassed
Re: Official: Alonso And Mikel's 'passing' Records by tkb417(m): 4:06pm On Dec 11, 2008
what happened to cesc, Scholes, carrick, Anderson
Re: Official: Alonso And Mikel's 'passing' Records by tocdee(m): 4:08pm On Dec 11, 2008
tkb417:

do they do drugs there?

If you read carefully (which you can't seem to ), you'll spot the phrase 'Opta Stats' (Official EPL Statistics body). How many matches have Carrick and Scholes played this season? How many,on the other hand, has Denilson played?

~Sauron~:

Don't dwell on stats like passing. . . . . . . . .Most of Mikel's passes are sideways passes and backwards passes.
How many of those passes have led to goal assist?
How many of those are KEY passes?? That is where Anderson, Scholes and Carrick are superior.

Then again you can't select the stats you want and disregard those that don't support your pre-concieved ideas. Such stats rated Makelele as the best defensive midfielder in his prime for example. And who says Scholes and Carrick have more assists than anyone else this season? ANDERSON?? SUPERIOR Don't make me laugh.

Dr Kitaun:

Alonso pass master

grin grin grin

*hissing out of thread* embarassed

You got one better? Tell us. And yes, he even passed the ball into Chelsea's net grin grin.
Re: Official: Alonso And Mikel's 'passing' Records by tkb417(m): 4:16pm On Dec 11, 2008
If you read carefully (which you can't seem to ), you'll spot the phrase 'Opta Stats' (Official EPL Statistics body). How many matches have Carrick and Scholes played this season? How many,on the other hand, has Denilson played?

Thats true, i get impatient reading baseless stats!!
THE OPTA lads are on drugs!! I mean it. they should upgrade their systems. This is a sign that whatever they're using isnt working
Re: Official: Alonso And Mikel's 'passing' Records by Sauron1: 4:24pm On Dec 11, 2008
tocdee:

Then again you can't select the stats you want and disregard those that don't support your pre-concieved ideas. Such stats rated Makelele as the best defensive midfielder in his prime for example. And who says Scholes and Carrick have more assists than anyone else this season? ANDERSON?? SUPERIOR Don't make me laugh.

Don't be excited, amigo.
I am sure OPTA awards a title for players who have the highest number of passes, don't they??
What should i expect from the fans that are yet to win the league in 18 seasons??
Re: Official: Alonso And Mikel's 'passing' Records by Ibime(m): 5:56pm On Dec 11, 2008
tocdee:

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N162481081211-1113.htm

Liverpool fans have known it for years but now it's official - Xabi Alonso is English football's pass master.
The midfielder became the first Premier League player to complete 1,000 successful passes during 2008-09 against Blackburn.

Opta stats show Alonso has hit 1,005 accurate passes this term, creating 26 goalscoring chances in the process.

Chelsea midfielder Jon Obi Mikel is second with 957 successful passes and 12 chances created.

Next comes Arsenal's Denilson (922 and 27), followed by Chelsea and England midfielder[b] Frank Lampard [/b] (901 and 48).

Passing is a much overlooked part of Lampard's game. 48 chances created from 922 passes says it all. Just because he makes hard passes look simple and doesn't overelaborate with his passes, some overlook his passing prowess.
Re: Official: Alonso And Mikel's 'passing' Records by bgees(m): 6:20pm On Dec 11, 2008
Alonso is really a master passer.

I remember two seasons ago at stamford bridge. Alonso was in d liverpool half, and kuyt was very well marked in the chelsea 18 yard box. Btw them ,it was very crowded. Still alonso connected a very impressive ground pass that set kuyt one on one with cech. But we all know kuyt is hot-headed when facing goal.anyway, he did'nt compose himself and his power shot hit d bar with cech just lying there helpless. And we later eventually lost 1-nil thanks to that voodoo-goal from fetish drogba.

But it is clear for all to see even if the arsenal boys and scummies won't acknowledge d fact. that XABI ALONSO CAN PASS THE BALL BTW GOD AND THE DEVIL!
Re: Official: Alonso And Mikel's 'passing' Records by Ibime(m): 6:41pm On Dec 11, 2008
Scholes has been injured. . . .

But how can tkb and Sauron compare Carrick and Anderson's passing ability with Alonso and Denilson?. . . . levels pass levels abeg. . . . . there are many things Denilson cannot do, but passing is his strongest point. . . . he is one of the best in the Prem at that. . . . as for Alonso, everyone should know he is a passmaster by now. . . .

Anderson simply does not exist in this category, although all round he is a great player, he only has one foot and that does not help the frequency of his passing. . .

Carrick can pass, but not with the frequency of Scholes, Fabregas, Alonso and Denilson. . . . the aforementioned are quick nippy passers of the ball whilst Carrick is more of a middle range passer and he is not nippy.
Re: Official: Alonso And Mikel's 'passing' Records by doyin13(m): 7:57pm On Dec 11, 2008
@Ibime. . .

I can think of many worse than Carrick at passing the ball
and very few that are better.

I can understand Fabregas being seen as better though I prolly put them
at par, but Denilson is not as good a passer as Carrick.

Alonso in my opinion is overrated as a passer.
His range is huge yes, but he doesn't do the killer pass very well.
Re: Official: Alonso And Mikel's 'passing' Records by Sauron1: 8:06pm On Dec 11, 2008
Ibime:

But how can tkb and Sauron compare Carrick and Anderson's passing ability with Alonso and Denilson?. . . . levels pass levels abeg. . . . . there are many things Denilson cannot do, but passing is his strongest point. . . . he is one of the best in the Prem at that. . . . as for Alonso, everyone should know he is a passmaster by now. . . .

This is fallacy. . . . . .Lets remove Anderson from this list cos he does not get enough games but Carrick??
There's no English player better than Carrick when it comes to passing the ball. . . . .That is the best English passer of the ball bar Scholes.
Denilson?? Denilson is not comfortable in possession to save Wenger's blushes.

Carrick can pass, but not with the frequency of Scholes, Fabregas, Alonso and Denilson. . . . the aforementioned are quick nippy passers of the ball whilst Carrick is more of a middle range passer and he is not nippy.

Please remove Denilson from that list. . . . . . . .Fabregas can pass the ball. . . . .Scholes is the grandmaster!!
Alonso?? No way but he is a better tackler than Carrick. Denilson does not even come close.
I understand the stats are heavily dependent on the number of games the players have played but then. . . . . . . .
Who dare compares Michael Carrick to Denilson?? Come on!!!!!
Re: Official: Alonso And Mikel's 'passing' Records by toluxa1(m): 8:10pm On Dec 11, 2008
~Sauron~:

Chelsea midfielder [b]Jon Obi Mikel is second with 957 successful passes and 12 chances created. [/b]

Re: Official: Alonso And Mikel's 'passing' Records by tkb417(m): 8:12pm On Dec 11, 2008
I can think of many worse than Carrick at passing the ball
and very few that are better.

I can understand Fabregas being seen as better though I prolly put them
at par, but Denilson is not as good a passer as Carrick.

Alonso in my opinion is overrated as a passer.
His range is huge yes, but he doesn't do the killer pass very well.
MINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Denilson better than Carrick?
Ibime stop that abeg
Re: Official: Alonso And Mikel's 'passing' Records by toluxa1(m): 8:13pm On Dec 11, 2008
Go Mikel . , Go
Re: Official: Alonso And Mikel's 'passing' Records by Ibime(m): 9:35pm On Dec 11, 2008
Look at you guys. . . .

We are talking about pass frequency which is what the stats are based upon. . .

For example, Usain Bolt is a faster runner than Asafa Powell, but Asafa Powell has better stride frequency. . .

When it comes to pass frequency, not many in Prem can touch Denislon. . . . we are not talking about who is the better player or who is the better passer. . . . simply, who is more likely to take more touches in a game. . . Denilson will always take more touches than Carrick.

Carrick is a good passer but he is too immobile to compete with Denilson on pass frequency. . . . Denilson is one of those nippy movers who takes many touches just like Scholes and Fabregas. . . . the fact Arsenal play that tippy tappy style also helps, whilst Man Utd favour the counterattack. . . . come on, there are many things Denilson is not but passing is his strongpoint. . .
Re: Official: Alonso And Mikel's 'passing' Records by Sauron1: 9:47pm On Dec 11, 2008
I disagree. . . . . .

Denilson is up there BECAUSE of the number of minutes he has under his belt this season.
Apart from that, any Arsenal fan would tell u he has the most inaccurate passes in the BIG FOUR.
Re: Official: Alonso And Mikel's 'passing' Records by akinalabi(m): 10:01pm On Dec 11, 2008
I'll love to verify those statistics. . .

The version I heard Ian Darke say was that Scholes had
the most complete passes in the premiership last season.

Then we have to understand what completed passes are. . .

A pass from Rio to Vidic is a completed pass. From Gallas
to Toure is a completed pass so a completed pass could
be meaningless atimes.
Re: Official: Alonso And Mikel's 'passing' Records by Sauron1: 10:08pm On Dec 11, 2008
akinalabi:

I'll love to verify those statistics. . .

The version I heard Ian Darke say was that Scholes had
the most complete passes in the premiership last season.

Then we have to understand what completed passes are. . .

A pass from Rio to Vidic is a completed pass. From Gallas
to Toure is a completed pass so a completed pass could
be meaningless atimes.

Very meaningless. . . . . . .Like i said earlier, Mikel Obi of all people leading the pile??
90% of his passes don't go forward. . . . . .Vidic to Ferdinand and back are 2 completed passes.
Those stats can sometimes be leading. Goal assists and shots on goal are even worse.

U can make the best pass in a game but if the recipient wastes the chance, the pass is useless as it has not led to a goal.
On the other hand, if your worst pass to a teammate leads to a goal, u would be credited with a goal assist.
Tell me soccer statistics make any sorta sense.
Re: Official: Alonso And Mikel's 'passing' Records by tocdee(m): 4:37pm On Dec 12, 2008
What's all the talk about. Its stats for crying out loud! Verified and culled from a very reliable source. And if you really think that Alonso isn't the best forward passer of the ball, then watch ANY of Liverpool's games with an eye on the guy. Its the strongest part of his game. He picks passes from 6-60 yards with ease. that's why he could score from the centre of the field (Luton, Newcastle). can't we just agree?
Re: Official: Alonso And Mikel's 'passing' Records by ow11(m): 4:55pm On Dec 12, 2008
I wonder If all this dust raised about OPTA stats would have been kicked up if a certain Ronaldo or Berbatov was atop that chart. Some people use the stats to buttress their argument but ridicule it when it doesn't put their fav player on top. lipsrsealed
Re: Official: Alonso And Mikel's 'passing' Records by tkb417(m): 5:03pm On Dec 12, 2008
I wonder If all this dust raised about OPTA stats would have been kicked up if a certain Ronaldo or Berbatov was atop that chart. Some people use the stats to buttress their argument but ridicule it when it doesn't put their fav player on top.

exactly!!! STATS that measure pass frequency and not accuracy should be applauded!!
or are we not saying the same thing? grin grin grin
Re: Official: Alonso And Mikel's 'passing' Records by bgees(m): 6:48pm On Dec 12, 2008
@tkb417,

ow11 is clearly refering to cranky girls like u.
Was his post so hard for u to understand?

Just because a liverpool player(and not a man utd player) is rated at d top, u boys don dey do una period. ODE OSHI!
Re: Official: Alonso And Mikel's 'passing' Records by DrKitaun(m): 7:01pm On Dec 12, 2008
Scholes

Fabregas

Carrick

Lampard

and others . . .CHIKENA !!! cool
Re: Official: Alonso And Mikel's 'passing' Records by tkb417(m): 7:10pm On Dec 12, 2008
tkb417,

ow11 is clearly refering to cranky girls like u.
Was his post so hard for u to understand?

Just because a liverpool player(and not a man utd player) is rated at d top, u boys don dey do una period. ODE OSHI!

post hard for me to understand? dullards!!!!
If u ever make use of what they call intuition ur frigging dulling arse would have known i was being sarcastic wiv ma posts and of course i dont give 3 fcks wiv STATS but what i see on d field.

The prob with illiterates like u is the inability to express urselves in public. read how Ibime clearly articulated why he feels Denilson is berra. take a cue and dont be a retard.
next time ask for permission b4 u jump into arguements u cant finish!!
Re: Official: Alonso And Mikel's 'passing' Records by bgees(m): 8:59pm On Dec 12, 2008
@tkb,

now u say, u were being sarcastic?
Stop lying, u were being stupid.
C'mon girl, admit it.
Re: Official: Alonso And Mikel's 'passing' Records by tkb417(m): 1:25pm On Dec 13, 2008
@tkb,

now u say, u were being sarcastic?
Stop lying, u were being stupid.
C'mon girl, admit it.
Yeah. I said it.
seun shld start screening people from posting

The proliferation of internet wouldnt mean ill banter Pigs like u
The Nigerian Open Uni forms are out. Get some adult education bastard.
when u can string words 2geda, come back and play with peeps
Fcking retard
Re: Official: Alonso And Mikel's 'passing' Records by allboyz(m): 8:10am On Dec 15, 2008
I careless of SATS,but talking of "Gr8" XABI ALONSO - his best skills are passing and ball control, he also have a terrifying shots and most of them are ON - TARGET, He kicks the ball with right senses and to then right degrees to make a goal attempt, i think he deserves that, but for Mikel, hmmm HELL NO, only Few reason passes were made from that man.

i think the likes of FAB4,Carrick,Gerrad are in for the list not Mikel and his frnds,
Re: Official: Alonso And Mikel's 'passing' Records by Olaolufred(m): 9:49am On Dec 15, 2008
Thanks allboyz.

Some says Good is not Good when it is not yet rewarded.

That a player has not win a Ball D'or does not mean he is not good.

What this poll said is that in Overall, Alonso had good, reasonable, accurate and goal-producing
passes more than others. It does not mean that others are not good.

However, Chelsea fans turns everything to blind arguments so that they can turn each argument to fight.

Watch all abusive languages on Nairaland sports, they are originated by chelsea fans.

Mikel is good, fine. Not in this area better than Alonso.

But i will not talk more than this, because these Chelsea fans are good at breaking bottles and stabbing.

However, this may be because they are born and raised under the bridges.

No wonder, many of them are under Oshodi and Iyana Ipaja bridges.
Re: Official: Alonso And Mikel's 'passing' Records by allboyz(m): 9:58am On Dec 15, 2008
Olaolufred:

Thanks allboyz.

Some says Good is not Good when it is not yet rewarded.

That a player has not win a Ball D'or does not mean he is not good.

What this poll said is that in Overall, Alonso had good, reasonable, accurate and goal-producing
passes more than others. It does not mean that others are not good.

However, Chelsea fans turns everything to blind arguments so that they can turn each argument to fight.

Watch all abusive languages on Nairaland sports, they are originated by chelsea fans.

Mikel is good, fine. Not in this area better than Alonso.

But i will not talk more than this, because these Chelsea fans are good at breaking bottles and stabbing.

However, this may be because they are born and raised under the bridges.

No wonder, many of them are under Oshodi and Iyana Ipaja bridges.
Abeg show some "LITTLE LOVE" to the chelsians, at least for the sake of Mikel being a Nigerian abi? its not that they worth it though,but for Christ sake, console them wit that little love, cheers
Re: Official: Alonso And Mikel's 'passing' Records by allboyz(m): 10:14am On Dec 15, 2008
to buttress his(ALONSO) qualities, on my PS 2,he has pass accuracy of 95/100 and mikel 84,

in my master league,i bidded for him for a fee of M150,000 and salary of 200,000 and still he refuse, imagine the quality of Alonso,

only if ARS can just buy him , we need him

(1) (2) (Reply)

Alex Iwobi And His Dad.. / Nigeria Muslims Attack Ahmed Musa For Posting His Christian Wife. / Goods News For Students. .. Accredit Your Online Betting Account With Airtime

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.