Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,498 members, 7,781,507 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:47 PM

Simple Ways To Prevent Your Car From Being Stolen - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Simple Ways To Prevent Your Car From Being Stolen (18413 Views)

Photo: Is This The Best Way Of Securing Your Car From Theft? / Tips on How To Protect Your Car From Being Stolen This Christmas Period / Where's Your Car From? Automobile, And Their Origins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Simple Ways To Prevent Your Car From Being Stolen by AutosBay(m): 3:28pm On Dec 27, 2014
Car theft is nothing new because everything of value attracts thieves and therefore extra care must be taken to prevent the loss of one’s valuables like a car to thieves, who most times strike when and where you least expect.
A car doesn’t have to be expen­sive to be a target. Thieves often steal vehicles just to strip them of their parts and metal compo­nents. Others steal cars to use as getaway vehicles while commit­ting other crimes. It doesn’t mat­ter if you drive a new luxury se­dan or an old pickup truck. Car theft is a reality that you need to guard against. Multiple devices are available that help protect against your vehicle getting sto­len.
Car theft is a serious prob­lem, and there is no right or wrong answer as far as what you should use to prevent it. How­ever, always lock all your doors, keep your windows up and follow basic common sense whenever leaving your vehicle. Additional security measures do help pre­vent your car from being stolen, but only if you use them consis­tently and in the way they are intended.

1. Car Alarm

Nearly everyone is familiar with the basic car alarm.
One advantage of car alarms is that they make it harder for a car thief to operate anonymous­ly. Thieves don’t want attention, and a loud, blaring siren is bound to get the attention of anyone nearby, including the car owner. As a result, the thief is more likely to bypass a car with an alarm for a vehicle without one.
The disadvantage of car alarms is how common they are and how often they go off acci­dently. The panic button on the key fob in someone’s pocket often gets pushed accidently, either in the pocket or while the owner is pulling the keys out, and this triggers a false alarm.

2. Steering Wheel Lock

A steering wheel lock bar slides over the steering wheel and locks in place, preventing a thief from being able to turn the wheel be­cause the bar hits the car door, preventing the wheel from turn­ing. The bar is typically made out of hardened metal to make it dif­ficult to cut. It also slides inward to make it more compact when not in use, allowing you to store it quickly. under the seat or in the trunk.
One advantage of the steering wheel lock bar is that it’s simple and easy to use. It fits onto the steering wheel in seconds and just requires a key to remove it. It is also cost-effective.

3. Kill Switch

A kill switch works either as a stand-alone device or with an alarm system. When a thief tries to start the car without a key, the kill switch cuts off the fuel to the car or shuts off the electri­cal system, preventing the thief from taking the car anywhere. The kill switch is disengaged with a plastic key or an entry code, much like a car alarm­.

Source: http://www.dailytimes.com.ng/article/simple-ways-prevent-your-car-being-stolen?utm_content=bufferfd7f2&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Simple Ways To Prevent Your Car From Being Stolen by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:45pm On Dec 27, 2014
Nice tips.

1 Like

Re: Simple Ways To Prevent Your Car From Being Stolen by AutosBay(m): 3:46pm On Dec 27, 2014
GAZZUZZ:
Nice tips.

Thanks.
Re: Simple Ways To Prevent Your Car From Being Stolen by colossus2: 3:59pm On Dec 27, 2014
Nice one AutosBay.
First time when I read sweet topic from you, unlike those "which car symbol is this" and the likes grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Simple Ways To Prevent Your Car From Being Stolen by ajuwarhodes(f): 4:00pm On Dec 27, 2014
U just reminded me of what I shld do fast.but I don't know how much the steering wheel lock might cost

1 Like

Re: Simple Ways To Prevent Your Car From Being Stolen by AutosBay(m): 4:46pm On Dec 27, 2014
colossus2:
Nice one AutosBay.
First time when I read sweet topic from you, unlike those "which car symbol is this" and the likes grin

Thanks.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Simple Ways To Prevent Your Car From Being Stolen by Nobody: 10:07pm On Dec 27, 2014
ajuwarhodes:
U just reminded me of what I shld do fast.but I don't know how much the steering wheel lock might cost

What type of car do you drive?

Tell me so I'd advice you accordingly.

1 Like

Re: Simple Ways To Prevent Your Car From Being Stolen by Nobody: 3:04pm On Dec 30, 2014
If only I saw this post earlier.... cry
Re: Simple Ways To Prevent Your Car From Being Stolen by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:53pm On Dec 30, 2014
Do this and no thief will come near your car.

Paint it bright pink! grin

[img]http://2.bp..com/-0EnD8FzxOuo/UNyuaO4VgaI/AAAAAAAAP9M/WpHE0x5PCRc/s1600/RO+5840+COMPLETE+003.jpg[/img]
Re: Simple Ways To Prevent Your Car From Being Stolen by pragmatistm(m): 7:33am On Dec 31, 2014
lomomike:

What type of car do you drive?

Tell me so I'd advice you accordingly.
I drive nissan primera 2000, how much does the steering wheel cost?
Re: Simple Ways To Prevent Your Car From Being Stolen by davit: 8:23am On Dec 31, 2014
pragmatistm:

Steering wheel is not that expensive. I bought mine 1,500 naira. I drive Toyota corolla 03. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Simple Ways To Prevent Your Car From Being Stolen by MrWondah(m): 7:11am On Nov 28, 2018
If no be ASSU strike, person wwey enter school the day them create this thread don almost graduat

4 Likes

Re: Simple Ways To Prevent Your Car From Being Stolen by RevenGeMission: 7:11am On Nov 28, 2018
Lol
Re: Simple Ways To Prevent Your Car From Being Stolen by oluwatosink: 7:12am On Nov 28, 2018
lipsrsealed
nowadays people don't steal car again
Re: Simple Ways To Prevent Your Car From Being Stolen by ollah2: 7:12am On Nov 28, 2018
shocked shocked shocked shocked

if a 2014 post can hit the front page in November 2018 then your dreams can come true.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Simple Ways To Prevent Your Car From Being Stolen by dangoteinlaw: 7:12am On Nov 28, 2018
pragmatistm:
ppl will make responsible comment untill u see haw dirty they are on real. Nissan 2000?? Mtcheeew
Re: Simple Ways To Prevent Your Car From Being Stolen by RevenGeMission: 7:13am On Nov 28, 2018
angry grin
GAZZUZZ:
Do this and no thief will come near your car.

Paint it bright pink! grin

[img]http://2.bp..com/-0EnD8FzxOuo/UNyuaO4VgaI/AAAAAAAAP9M/WpHE0x5PCRc/s1600/RO+5840+COMPLETE+003.jpg[/img]

Only in Yankee
Re: Simple Ways To Prevent Your Car From Being Stolen by MarianaTrench: 7:15am On Nov 28, 2018
Just buy a manual transmission car... I guarantee no one will try to steal your car in Lagos grin
Re: Simple Ways To Prevent Your Car From Being Stolen by ednut1(m): 7:20am On Nov 28, 2018
Na church dem dey target now

1 Like

Re: Simple Ways To Prevent Your Car From Being Stolen by braine(m): 7:24am On Nov 28, 2018
Who resurrected this ancient 2014 post?
Re: Simple Ways To Prevent Your Car From Being Stolen by LilSmith55(m): 7:26am On Nov 28, 2018
Since 2014
Re: Simple Ways To Prevent Your Car From Being Stolen by solarview(m): 7:36am On Nov 28, 2018
grin The oldest thread to make front page

1 Like

Re: Simple Ways To Prevent Your Car From Being Stolen by tron23(m): 7:39am On Nov 28, 2018
Steering wheel lock costs about N10,000.

1 Like

Re: Simple Ways To Prevent Your Car From Being Stolen by sammyj: 7:42am On Nov 28, 2018
Hmmmmm. Cool and interesting!! grin
Re: Simple Ways To Prevent Your Car From Being Stolen by igahdavid(m): 7:43am On Nov 28, 2018
This tips are ok.
The most important thing is to get a tracker
So, you will be able to recover your car even if it's stolen.

Check our signature if you want a reliable car tracker

See some of our stolen but recovered vehicle
https://www.nairaland.com/899639/stolen-recovered-vehicles
Re: Simple Ways To Prevent Your Car From Being Stolen by XaviDayo(m): 7:45am On Nov 28, 2018
E get one local steering lock wey i dey use.......nobody fit cut am. I dey use red cloth tie am then I go put one lizard head on top.

Go touch am now......

Thief sef dey fear lizard head.

2 Likes

Re: Simple Ways To Prevent Your Car From Being Stolen by sexdoll: 7:47am On Nov 28, 2018
nothing new learnt. sad
Re: Simple Ways To Prevent Your Car From Being Stolen by larrypourl(m): 7:55am On Nov 28, 2018
MrWondah:
If no be ASSU strike, person wwey enter school the day them create this thread don almost graduat

Some don even graduate grin

1 Like

Re: Simple Ways To Prevent Your Car From Being Stolen by itiswellandwell: 8:01am On Nov 28, 2018
Help us with tips on how to prevent thieves from removing your car parts as well.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Drivers' License Expiration Is Now "5 Years" Says Federal Government / Reactions To Policemen Flagging Down Your Car / Police In UK Unveils Device That Detects Drivers That Use Phones When Driving

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.