Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,951 members, 7,806,745 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:26 PM

7 Types Of Atheists - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 7 Types Of Atheists (19232 Views)

Home Of Atheists, Freethinkers, Agnostics. / Why Are Demons Afraid Of Atheists? / What Is Your Position On Letting Your Children Play With Children Of Atheists? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by logoscope(m): 5:38pm On Dec 28, 2014
Do u mean this whole complex system came in existence by chance? The probability of this system coming together by chance is so infinity small that it would require a miracle. Take 10 cards numbered 1-10 and try by chance when its going to line up numerical i.e 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10. Then take 100 cards, 1000 cards. If you understand maths you could just calculate it. BTW God is my father, he loves me so much and I also do love Him very much. He gave the blood of His Son Jesus as ransom for my sins and the Holy Spirit as my guide.
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by Nobody: 6:07pm On Dec 28, 2014
UyiIredia:

Crap! I hate the label agnostic because it misses the point. First, any and all atheists can (and many do) use the term agnostic to define themselves. Dawkins (an outspoken atheist) has done such. Saying that u don't think we can answer the question of God's existence doesn't remove the fact that you are skeptical of his existence. BTW you can have agnostic deists and theists. Sagamite is an agnostic deist on NL. This should tell you that the term is simply a qualifying one and answers the epistemological question (on adequacy of knowledge of God) and not the actual theological question (of whether God exists). If you don't think there's a God you are an atheist, period.

First, tell me the meaning of Agnostic.

The fact that you hate the word doesn't make it any less what it really is.

And what point exactly is it missing? undecided
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by manmustwac(m): 6:28pm On Dec 28, 2014
logoscope:
Do u mean this whole complex system came in existence by chance? The probability of this system coming together by chance is so infinity small that it would require a miracle. Take 10 cards numbered 1-10 and try by chance when its going to line up numerical i.e 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10. Then take 100 cards, 1000 cards. If you understand maths you could just calculate it. BTW God is my father, he loves me so much and I also do love Him very much. He gave the blood of His Son Jesus as ransom for my sins and the Holy Spirit as my guide.
Listen dude. There are 250 million sperm cells in each ejaculation. So lets say if it takes a man up to 12 ejaculations to fertilize the egg (that is to get a woman pregnant) that will be 3 billion sperm cells wasted in the process. Which means at that ratio you and me got here on the odds of 3 billion to 1. Now that is if it only takes up to 12 ejaculations it dose take some men more. Now consider the population of nigeria 170 million, the USA 300 million, the UK 60 million, that is just about up to 2 ejaculations. So as far as am concerned we got here by chance and you and i are living proof of that wink

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by Nobody: 6:42pm On Dec 28, 2014
manmustwac:
Listen dude. There are 250 million sperm cells in each ejaculation. So lets say if it takes a man up to 12 ejaculations to fertilize the egg (that is to get a woman pregnant) that will be 3 billion sperm cells wasted in the process. Which means at that ratio you and me got here on the odds of 3 billion to 1. Now that is if it only takes up to 12 ejaculations it dose take some men more. Now consider the population of nigeria 170 million, the USA 300 million, the UK 60 million, that is just about up to 2 ejaculations. So as far as am concerned we got here by chance and you and i are living proof of that wink

This post just gave me an "eyegasm"!!! cheesy

1 Like

Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by KLand(m): 6:56pm On Dec 28, 2014
I am not an atheist; I believe in God.

"The fool has said in his heart,“ There is no God.” They are corrupt, and have done abominable iniquity; There is none who does good."

http://bible.us/Ps53.1.NKJV
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by pak: 7:19pm On Dec 28, 2014
manmustwac:

Never met you before but used to have a perception of you as an intelligent atheist but seriously, this post falls really short.....

The only excuse is, if you tell me mathematics is your weak point because that your take on the probability of conception is laughable at best. . . The possibility of a healthy woman conceiving through unprotectedsex with a healthy man in her fertile cycle is between 15% to 20%.
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by Nobody: 7:24pm On Dec 28, 2014
lol most of the atheists here claiming to be "seekers" are in all reality wafflers. They are not "deep thinkers" of any kind (real deep thinkers would have long spotted the illogical nature of the theory of evolution) but are insecure folks seeking (pun intended) to assuage their fear with pseudoscience.
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by Nobody: 7:25pm On Dec 28, 2014
manmustwac:

Actually, although it usually takes just one sperm to fertilize an egg, you require a lot more sperm to break down the egg for that one sperm to penetrate. You have not been studying your biology textbook well enough.

1 Like

Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by acenazt: 7:27pm On Dec 28, 2014
I believe there Is God But I believe religion is crap and I believe a sin is committed if one feels guilty. Where do I fall??
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by Nobody: 7:29pm On Dec 28, 2014
cold:
Number 6 aptly describes most Nigerian Atheists. After years of indoctrination & professing Christianity or Islam, they suddenly discover at some in their adult lives they simply can't reconcile their sense of reasoning with their faith. They're left with no option than to take the only logical path but at the same time do not want to rock the boat taking into consideration how notoriously religious Nigerians can be. They have no qualms lynching you if you dare as much as say you're not a religious man let alone say 'there is no god'. You're a dead man walking.

the fantasy in your head is not necessarily true. Seun (the owner of this site) has been open as an atheist since this site opened in 2005 (probably even longer) and no one seems to have lynched him yet. The use of fatalistic hyperbole has often become the calling card of the insecure atheist.
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by HAZAZEL: 7:30pm On Dec 28, 2014
Pyrrho:
Good question and observation.
But I av one question for you.
Do you know the God that created the order?
Is it olodumare, jeus' father or thor's dad, chineke, yahweh, or the vague 'oneness' claimed by hindu doctrine. There are lots of them.

Or u jst decide to leave ur argument at the level of an imaginary source of "ORDER"?
If this is the case u ar not religious but theist. And also a 'seeker' according to the op.
Can u tell wat ur purpose is?

Hmmm your observation is on point. I think then the business of us all should not be asking if there is God, but searching for who the TRUE one is.
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by HAZAZEL: 7:48pm On Dec 28, 2014
biafranqueen:
Are you saying we came from Adam and Eve?

There is a possibility. Do you want us to look into it?
If yes you might want to arm yourself with basic religeous knowledge as regards the beginning of times. Shall we?
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by HAZAZEL: 8:03pm On Dec 28, 2014
Ishilove:

We came from the Big Bang and Bruno the Ape is our cousin grin

lol. I dismissed big bang the second I read it. Is that your blog@soulspasms? You sounded very harsh as regards the copyright o lwkm...... Judging from your wasimi tales you will make a standard writer. Kudos.
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by manmustwac(m): 8:07pm On Dec 28, 2014
pak:

Never met you before but used to have a perception of you as an intelligent atheist but seriously, this post falls really short.....

The only excuse is, if you tell me mathematics is your weak point because that your take on the probability of conception is laughable at best. . . The possibility of a healthy woman conceiving through unprotected sex with a healthy man in her fertile cycle is between 15% to 20%.
15 to 20% only means that the odds are 5 to 1 instead of what i said which was 12 to 1. Meaning that it will take 1 billion and 250 million sperm cells to fertilize the egg instead of what i said which was 3 billion. But then remember that depends on the age of the woman dosen't it? Besides if we add all the sperm ejaculations that get lost to masturbation and used condoms the odds of you and i making it to life are a lot higher than 12 to 1 which equaled to 3 billion to 1 in my last post dosen't it?
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by Oduduwaboy(m): 8:12pm On Dec 28, 2014
sinequanon:
Most atheists belong to the following category..

8.) The refugee
Takes refuge in "atheism". Too terrified to think freely and independently. Terrified by concepts like judgement and hell fire. Seeks comfort in camaraderie of other refugee "atheists". Accepts any idea that shelters him from his terror of god and hell fire. In front of theists, bares teeth and barks like a dog to hide fear. Needs frequent therapy sessions questioning religious texts, and needs validation from theists in the form of "winning" arguments. Uses humour, anti-religious cartoons and rhetorical questions to try to drown out underlying terror and confusion.

Most atheists on Nairaland fall into this category.
Ridiculous. Most atheist learn to live only by the courage of their convictions. Their is no god to pray to, no pastor to sooth their 'soul' with sweet lies. Usually atheist are few and far between in the community. Wherein lies the refuge then? You are a liar seeking to bring atheists to your ridiculous low-level; go back to church this night to continue telling lies to the pews!

2 Likes

Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by Oduduwaboy(m): 8:19pm On Dec 28, 2014
realtem:
Chai, the thread was for atheists to have a nice time o. Theists have come in with their wahala.
They want to win 'souls' na!

1 Like

Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by Oduduwaboy(m): 8:23pm On Dec 28, 2014
Pyrrho:
No.
But can't this source be something else than someone somewhere seated on a throne, and with angels are hovering around, while one of his disobedient troublesome creation which is locked up somewhere terrible and some of his other creation would end up to share in his fate(unavoidable fate). While some others would spend eternity worshipping, praising... Dat is a whole lot of thinking, don't you think?
Yeah. This creates the idea of a petty and puerile god who wanna 'show' some naughty creatures who is boss!
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by Nobody: 8:24pm On Dec 28, 2014
Oduduwaboy:

Ridiculous. Most atheist learn to live only by the courage of their convictions. Their is no god to pray to, no pastor to sooth their 'soul' with sweet lies. Usually atheist are few and far between in the community. Wherein lies the refuge then? You are a liar seeking to bring atheists to your ridiculous low-level; go back to church this night to continue telling lies to the pews!

Really? They seem to spend an inordinate amount of time here mewling about "god".
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by manmustwac(m): 8:25pm On Dec 28, 2014
Oduduwaboy:

They want to win 'souls' na!
and they complain about us when we post on their topics
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by sinequanon: 8:26pm On Dec 28, 2014
Oduduwaboy:

Wrong.

The fact that you are ranting is evidence of what I described. You don't live off the courage of your convictions. You are continually worrying about and fighting over theist's convictions in an attempt to reassert your own flaky "conviction".
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by AdamuUcheOla: 8:52pm On Dec 28, 2014
sufido123:
There is a group I would call atheist deniers. This description fits most theists that do not know that they are potentially atheists too. If you are a Christian and the Budhist God is the real one, you are an atheist because you don't believe in God. If you are a Muslim and sango, Amadioha, balogun, Oloku are the Gods of Africans, then you are an atheist because you don't believe in God. The permutations are too numerous to contemplate.

Everyone in this world is potentially an atheist because no one really knows what the real God is. The theist are gambling that their God is the right one while the atheists don't want to gamble or wager on that issue. Therefore, theists are gamblers on the issue of religion while atheists are non gamblers.

Theists sometimes wave the theory of pascal wager in support of this gamble. The truth is that there is no Evidence of God. As for those who ask how we came about, the real question is how did God come about?

I am a humanist. I believe in the inherent goodness of mankind. I do not believe in superstition which also includes religion. It is surprising that it is the theists that are so scared of their own fellow humans and petrified by death in spite of their almighty God. Christians are even more absurd in their ways.

What can I say about Muslims? they are killing everyone all over the world for Allah because Allah can't fight for himself. This saddens them and they are unhappy even in their utopia of sharialized Islamic caliphates. Buhari wants Egyptian styled Moslem Brotherhood in power as if we are not already screwed with religion in Nigeria,

I thought your comment was very intelligent and interesting to read; until the last sentence. Religion or in this case non-religion shouldn't mix with politics...from all the available historical evidence; they just don't mix properly.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by biafranqueen: 8:58pm On Dec 28, 2014
HAZAZEL:

There is a possibility. Do you want us to look into it?
If yes you might want to arm yourself with basic religeous knowledge as regards the beginning of times. Shall we?
Why not can we start with the story of Adam and Eve an what the meaning is in Hebrew and Aramaic?

First do you agree that human fossils are found ‘dated’ earlier than Adam’s genealogies could possibly allow?

Looking at historical doc's from the early church in the 18th and 19th centuries , because white and non-white people looked different, a minority of Christians thought that God had created non-whites separately from Adam, and so they must have descended from pre-Adamic creatures. Hence pre-Adamism took the form of polygenism, or multiple creations of different races.

Adam is a metaphor for Israel “When they fail [Israel], like Adam and Eve, they are exiled from the land”
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by HAZAZEL: 9:24pm On Dec 28, 2014
Weah96:

[size=16pt]90% of the people reading this thread have no idea what atheism is. You're one of them. [/size]

Why not help us. Educate us on what atheism means we pray.
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by yungchop: 9:24pm On Dec 28, 2014
I weep for some people.. Papa God I know say you dey gidigba! If you will like to have a front seat on judgement day to watch how God will punish those mofos click like... cool
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by HAZAZEL: 9:34pm On Dec 28, 2014
biafranqueen:
Why not can we start with the story of Adam and Eve an what the meaning is in Hebrew and Aramaic?

First do you agree that human fossils are found ‘dated’ earlier than Adam’s genealogies could possibly allow?

Looking at historical doc's from the early church in the 18th and 19th centuries , because white and non-white people looked different, a minority of Christians thought that God had created non-whites separately from Adam, and so they must have descended from pre-Adamic creatures. Hence pre-Adamism took the form of polygenism, or multiple creations of different races. Proponents of this idea often thought that non-whites were inferior beings who could be treated as slaves. Pre-Adamism thus became the scientific justification for slavery, and a defense for racism.

Pre-Adamites were also an integral part of the now-discredited gap theory. In this the pre-Adamites were soulless beings which all perished in a catastrophe called ‘Lucifer’s Flood’, which allegedly occurred between verses 1 and 2 of Genesis 1 ‘in the far-distant dateless past’.

Adam is a metaphor for Israel “When they fail [Israel], like Adam and Eve, they are exiled from the land”

Ok. First the pre-adamic theory at its most fundamental is flawed especially under the light of modern science, we have ample proof that factors such as use and disuse as propounded by larmack provide a more logical proof as to why different races exist. The theory of use and disuse simply means that parts of the body that are constantly used improve while those in constant disuse diminish. Take the blacks for example, before of our habitat our melanin glands are more active than those of scandinavians who are not exposed to as much sun-light as we are.
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by sufido123: 9:45pm On Dec 28, 2014
AdamuUcheOla:

I thought your comment was very intelligent and interesting to read; until the last sentence. Religion or in this case non-religion shouldn't mix with politics...from all the available historical evidence; they just don't mix properly.

I understand your frustration but the sentence is based on Buhari's support for the imposition of sharia in Nigeria. That last sentence was intended to convey to everyone that religion should be personal and not imposed. This is also your position.

We said the same thing but in a different way. I guess if Buhari's name was not mentioned, you would have been ok. If that offended you, I am sorry but no offense was intended.

1 Like

Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by sufido123: 9:54pm On Dec 28, 2014
Oduduwaboy:

I agree with you that it takes a lot of courage for atheists to be who they are for now. However, Atheists are not as few as you think. Many Nigerians especially men are non believers but they dare not speak up. The world is moving away from religion. Religion is already dead in most European countries. In the U.S., it is on life support. In the next 50 years it would be a non issue

4 Likes

Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by biafranqueen: 10:02pm On Dec 28, 2014
HAZAZEL:

Ok. First the pre-adamic theory at its most fundamental is flawed especially under the light of modern science, we have ample proof that factors such as use and disuse as propounded by larmack provide a more logical proof as to why different races exist. The theory of use and disuse simply means that parts of the body that are constantly used improve while those in constant disuse diminish. Take the blacks for example, before of our habitat our melanin glands are more active than those of scandinavians who are not exposed to as much sun-light as we are.
Lets beak this down. My research shows religious Christian scholars put Adam and Eve created a little over 6,000 years ago. Homo Sapiens communicated via the spoken word around 100,000 years ago. What is your assessment? Jesus Christ said: narrow is the part that leads to life. You people have to understand that the bible is just parables and like Christ said you can do work greater than who?

Jesus Christ gave you a hint on the nature of God, by saying that 'GOD is spirit'. 'Not God is a spirit'. Therefore the image of God is God's equivalent. Image in Genesis has shown that Adam was a prophet of God. You believe that God was visiting Adam in garden of Eden which portrays the state of spiritual consciousness. Please note that the noun 'Adam' is a common noun. The word 'Adam' was used to denote the messenger of God. The creation of man in Genesis is symbolic, just like bread is symbolic for body of Christ.
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by HAZAZEL: 10:18pm On Dec 28, 2014
biafranqueen:
Lets beak this down. My research shows religious Christian scholars put Adam and Eve created a little over 6,000 years ago. Homo Sapiens communicated via the spoken word around 100,000 years ago. What is your assessment? Jesus Christ said: narrow is the part that leads to life. You people have to understand that the bible is just parables and like Christ said you can do work greater than who?

Jesus Christ gave you a hint on the nature of God, by saying that 'GOD is spirit'. 'Not God is a spirit'. Therefore the image of God is God's equivalent. Image in Genesis has shown that Adam was a prophet of God. You believe that God was visiting Adam in garden of Eden which portrays the state of spiritual consciousness. Please note that the noun 'Adam' is a common noun. The word 'Adam' was used to denote the messenger of God. The creation of man in Genesis is symbolic, just like bread is symbolic for body of Christ.

Hmmmmm your points are subtle but they are well noted. You are impying that the bible even though TRUE is coded and shouldn't be taken at face value right? How then do we comprehend it?
Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by biafranqueen: 10:28pm On Dec 28, 2014
When I was first learning before I evolved, I was given a copy of Bullinger's Companion Bible in KJV. This will help you know the meaning of the words used from the original language.

Back to my friend HAZAZEL if you take time you will find that, Adam was not created before mankind. The translators of the KJV rendered the word in Gen 1:26 to say "man", but the original language really states "mankind". In Gen 2:7, God created "the man Adam" which is a different word in the original language. In order to really understand what God is saying, you cannot depend on arguing the KJV by itself.
Another examples are - Satan in the Garden was not a snake and not a literal serpent. The definition in the original language of the word used is "Shiny one" - not snake. Anyway, this is how I started my journey to Universal truth, your on the right path my friend keep studying. Keep questioning, keep praying for understanding and break through.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by cold(m): 10:46pm On Dec 28, 2014
davidylan:

the fantasy in your head is not necessarily true. Seun (the owner of this site) has been open as an atheist since this site opened in 2005 (probably even longer) and no one seems to have lynched him yet. The use of fatalistic hyperbole has often become the calling card of the insecure atheist.
Oh really..it's either you're not clued up on the goings on in Nigeria or you're just feigning ignorance

Nigerian atheist faces death threats after release from psychiatric ward

A Nigerian atheist released from a psychiatric unit to which his Muslim family committed him by force has said he is getting death threats for blaspheming against Islam.

Mubarak Bala, a 29-year-old chemical process engineer, said he is in hiding in predominantly Muslim northern Nigeria where sharia law holds and some interpretations deem blasphemy punishable by death.

"People are threatening me, I mean life-threatening threats," he said on Thursday. He said he was too frightened of drawing attention and wouldn't allow an Associated Press video journalist or photographer to come to his hiding place
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/03/nigerian-man-insane-atheist-bala-islam[url][/url]

Nigerian atheist attacked by a mob of Christians at a child witchcraft conference

NIGERIAN atheist, Leo Igwe – a regular contributor to the Freethinker – was attacked this week by a mob of Christians at a conference he staged to discuss Child Rights and Witchcraft.

According to this report, Igwe had his glasses smashed and his bag, phone and camera stolen by the mob, numbering between 150 and 200, who were alternately singing and aggressively disrupting the conference in Calabar. After an hour and a half, the police turned up and dispersed the mob. One person was arrested.

Leo had recently returned to Nigeria from London where he attended a British Humanist Association day conference and other international humanist events held at Conway Hall over the space of a week, including the world’s first international conference on “Untouchability”, where he was invited to speak on the problem of caste discrimination in Nigeria. Whilst in London he also spoke to the BBC on the problems faced in Nigeria due to religious superstition.

Helen Ukpabio and her church, the Liberty Foundation Gospel Ministries, have run a campaign of terror against children and those committed to fighting for their rights, of which Friday’s raid was only the latest development.

The conference had been organised by the Nigerian Humanist Movement and the UK charity Stepping Stones Nigeria in response to the widespread abandonment, torture and killing of children in Akwa Ibom and Cross River State due to the belief in child “witches”.

As the conference began at around 10.30am, the religious protesters dressed in orange raided the venue and began protesting loudly

http://freethinker.co.uk/2009/08/01/nigerian-atheist-attacked-by-a-mob-of-christians-at-a-child-witchcraft-conference/[url][/url]

These are just excerpts. You can follow the link and read the stories in their entirety. These are what atheists face in Nigeria on a regular. No exaggerations here

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Types Of Atheists by zo3184: 11:00pm On Dec 28, 2014
The Rogue, which means I will kick your ass and your trickster pastor especially God of fools-Oyedepo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Has Anyone Ever Seen/met This Elisha Goodman Prayer Vendor? / Anthony Olubunmi Okogie Celebrates His 84th Birthday Today / Christian Hip Hop: A Look At The New Trend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.