Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,942 members, 7,803,086 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 08:58 AM

4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not (27324 Views)

Thread For PHD Students / Presidential Scholarship Scheme For Ist Class Nigerian Graduates For Phd Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not by kinibigdeal(m): 10:36pm On Dec 27, 2014
Good Reasons To Do A PhD

1. To achieve something significant

Some of us who have ambitions to make money should just become an entrepreneurs and forget Phd. But if you are
ambitious in that you wish to challenge yourself,
push yourself to new heights or achieve a
difficult goal, then a doctorate may be for you.

2. To discover or learn something new

Some of us are very curious when we are young, we love to learn new thing, i think you will make a great research. If you feel a
driving force pushing you to explore and learn
new things, then you may love research, and find
a doctorate is perfect for you.

3. To improve yourself and your life

Doing a PhD for the sake of a pay rise is not a
good reason. But if you want to improve your
abilities to understand and solve problems,
increase your confidence, make yourself a better
communicator and gain skills that may lead to a
better job, then a doctorate may be right for
you.

4. It fits you/Natural to you

Some people are made for a doctorate. You
might have grown up doing countless little
'research projects' as hobbies. You might have a
natural thirst for knowledge or an insatiable
appetite for reading books about a particular
topic. You might have had a life-long fascination
- even obsession - about something significant.
If this sounds like you, and you can tailor a
doctorate to suit your particular needs, then
you'll love it.

Bad Reasons To Do A PhD

Most of us have several reasons for wanting to
do a doctorate, and of course they're not all
good.

1. Peer Pressure

If you're thinking of a doctorate because all your
friends are going to try, well done on having
some clever friends. But you will have to do the
doctorate, not them. How will you feel if they all
achieve their PhDs while you struggle on, year
after year, getting further and further into debt? and we all know Nigeria professors

2.Horrible Job

If you are doing a job that you hate and just
want to quit - then find another job. A PhD is
not an escape hatch through which you fall into
a better world, it is a long steep staircase that
takes extreme perseverance to climb.

3.Fulfilling the Ambitions of Others

If your partner or parents think that you should
do a doctorate because they wished that they
had - tell them to do one themselves. It must be
your own ambition that drives you, not the
ambition of anyone else. Otherwise you will
resent them during the tough times of your work
and blame them if it goes wrong.

4. Rebelling

If everyone is telling you to go and get a job
and you don't like being told what to do, then
make sure you are rebelling towards something
you want, and not simply away from irritating
parents or a boring town.

5.Misplaced Genius Complex

If you think you are brilliant and will solve all of
the world's problems, but every one of your
undergrad lecturers is telling you that your
ideas are unworkable and that you are not cut
out for a doctorate - it is quite likely that they
are right and you are wrong.

6. Insecurity

You might feel that your talents are never
appreciated and you crave more respect from
people around you. Perhaps you like the idea of
impressing by showing a CV with 'Dr' on
it. This is not as daft as it sounds, for doctors do
genuinely receive preferential treatment, and in
some countries are treated with enormous
respect. You are more likely to get a better job
as well. However, if insecurity is your main
driving force then you may struggle, for you will
be surrounded by professors and post-docs who
are more experienced than you throughout the
course of your PhD. You will receive respect from
them when you earn it, not because of the `Dr'
which they have themselves.

7. You've Done This Kind of Thing Before
If you have worked in a similar area, you may
have already done research or activities very
similar to those that you will do during a
doctorate. Or perhaps you have done a research-
based project for your MSc. This is excellent
experience and will help you, but a word of
warning: most people think they know what they
are letting themselves in for, and they are
wrong. An undergraduate or MSc project does
not give a proper taste of a PhD any more than Working in
industry is very different from academia. Even for
someone with experience, the doctorate is not as
easy as you might think.

Hopefully, you will find that more of the good
reasons apply to you than the bad ones. Be
honest with yourself. You are thinking of
embarking on something that can change your
life, either for better or worse, depending on
you.
Source: www.findaphd.com/advice/finding/why-do-phd.aspx

Yes that's the source

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not by Dreyl(m): 8:16am On Dec 28, 2014
Nice one
Mods frontpage asap!
Re: 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not by akinsadeez(m): 8:39am On Dec 28, 2014
lovely post. Some people spend ten years on PHD programmes in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not by Chuukwudi(m): 8:50am On Dec 28, 2014
spanzed:
Just in case I would be back to modify

You suck!!!
Re: 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not by spanzed(m): 9:02am On Dec 28, 2014
Chuukwudi:

You suck!!!
I just hope you not referring to me
Re: 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not by markpenk: 9:09am On Dec 28, 2014
Interesting... been thinking about this for a while now. Why would I want to get a ph.d? Is it because of my desire for accomplishments, my quest for knowledge in business and leadership or simply because I like the sound/looks of Dr. in front of my name? Hmmm... food for thought. Thanks OP. This has got me thinking more about why I should get a ph.d

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not by geeworld1(m): 9:11am On Dec 28, 2014
am sure the o.p parents wanted him to take the ph.d program bt he declined

...thats my own opinion

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not by CrazyScientist: 9:25am On Dec 28, 2014
[size=20pt]STILL GONNA DO IT! grin[/size]

10 Likes

Re: 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not by Wisepac: 10:14am On Dec 28, 2014
nice write up
Re: 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not by amakufrancis(m): 10:21am On Dec 28, 2014
Noted
Re: 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not by whizbee(m): 1:54pm On Dec 28, 2014
Me love ds
Re: 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not by harrysterol(m): 3:50pm On Dec 28, 2014
Dreyl:
Nice one
Mods frontpage asap!
stop the campaign tongue
Re: 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not by PhilipTosin(m): 6:00pm On Dec 28, 2014
Don't allow this guy to discourage you. If you desire to go for Ph.D, please do. Simply follow the laws of success and success will be certainly yours..

4 Likes

Re: 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not by iamrealdeji(m): 11:10pm On Dec 28, 2014
markpenk:
Interesting... been thinking about this for a while now. Why would I want to get a ph.d? Is it because of my desire for accomplishments, my quest for knowledge in business and leadership or simply because I like the sound/looks of Dr. in front of my name? Hmmm... food for thought. Thanks OP. This has got me thinking more about why I should get a ph.d
Even Dr Sikiru Ayinde Barrister is not only a Dr,but the first barrister I knew and the most famous barrister in Nigeria without a university degree not to talk of phd

3 Likes

Re: 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not by liveyourlife: 2:08am On Dec 29, 2014
ok

But you can organise everything BTW lecturer and student on http://
Re: 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not by fpeter(f): 9:49am On Dec 29, 2014
I am still thinking.....
Re: 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not by Nmeri17: 9:50am On Dec 29, 2014
op as u kno the good and the bad why u come dey open thread like seamstress. wetinq again u want make I talk undecided
Re: 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not by olayincar(m): 9:51am On Dec 29, 2014
Okay...
Everything is just by d Grace of God
Re: 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not by olisaEze(m): 9:52am On Dec 29, 2014
Ok so......wht's next undecided
Re: 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not by CoCoLav(f): 9:52am On Dec 29, 2014
Hmmn.

I just might give it a serious thought.
Re: 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not by Nobody: 9:52am On Dec 29, 2014
undecided abegi jare, so far u're in Nigeria n u want u certificate to be relevant, do phD #shikena
Re: 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not by donMIG(m): 9:55am On Dec 29, 2014
Like say u Na d type wei like flexin abi?I wan get d 1 wei pass PhD ...I wan turn Einstein!black 1!
Problems
I hate book
Hate party
But I luv girls
Dream crushed
Re: 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not by Nobody: 9:58am On Dec 29, 2014
Ok
Re: 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not by smileandlove(f): 9:59am On Dec 29, 2014
@op it is written as PhD or Ph.D and not what I see most people write here. Pls just a correction.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not by martincbarton: 9:59am On Dec 29, 2014
But it still an advancement that can be useful anytime in life.

1 Like

Re: 4 Good Reason Why You Should Go For Phd And 7 Bad Reasons Why You Should Not by CosmoFab: 9:59am On Dec 29, 2014
A lot of people, especially Nigerians who are obsessed with titles go for it because it sounds good to attach it to their name.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do You “wear” “spray” Or “apply” Perfume? / Shell/spdc Scholarship 2016/2017 / “CredenceOne”, WAEC’s New Device To Tackle Malpractice!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.