Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,370 members, 7,781,023 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:37 AM

What Damages Your Tire - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Damages Your Tire (1744 Views)

How To Determine The Age Of A Car Tire (Photos) / The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years / What Would Be The Appropriate Reaction If Auto Mechanic Damages Your Car. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Damages Your Tire by milestonejnr(m): 3:33am On Dec 28, 2014
Whenever you see someone driving a well maintained car, I suggest you applaud him (not her.. girls don't always deal on car stuffs). Owning a car is one thing while maintaining a car is a different ball game altogether. When you have a car, you have another virtual family to bother about...the routine checks, alignment, wheel balancing etc.

But for now, I want to talk about TIRES...yes, tires.
Do you agree with me that tires are one important part of a car? It is the only part of the car that makes contact with the road (if somewhere else in your car makes contact with the ground, I suggest you meet your mechanic), so it should be regularly inspected.

It is advisable to change your car tires whenever you notice they are no longer good for driving. I know you must have seen or heard about car tires bursting on highway; this is hazardous and may cost you something you may not like. It is advisable you change your car tires every 40,000 - 50, 000 miles. This tire of a thing is not cheap ooo, you can ask anyone that drives Range Rover.

THINGS THAT CAN DAMAGE THE TIRES

1. Under-inflation: In this condition, the tires will not be placed correctly on the road. This causes excessive wear and loss of grip and may lead to sudden tire failure. This causes wears on both sides of the tire[img][/img]

2. Over-inflated: This will make the tire rapidly wear in the center of the thread. This will also reduce the smoothness of your ride.
Note this: In some car manuals, it is advisable to increase the pressure in your tires when you want to transfer heavy loads. Even when you over inflate your tires for high loads, remember to reduce afterwards.[img][/img]

3. Misaligned wheels: As a result of wheel misalignment, the front tires may wear unevenly. This alignment could be done for a small fee.
[img][/img]

Always look for signs of damage, cuts, bulges and potential blowout. Ensure the tire is wearing off evenly.

source:http://ogbunyamaemeka..com/2014/12/things-that-can-damage-your-tires.html

1 Like

Re: What Damages Your Tire by boolet: 6:12am On Dec 28, 2014
Good insight.

3 Likes

Re: What Damages Your Tire by Nobody: 8:02am On Dec 28, 2014
milestonejnr:

Bla bla bla ...always look for signs of damage, cuts, bulges and potential blowout. Ensure the tire is wearing off evenly.

SOURCE: / kmaq9fw

What's the meaning of that bolded? Pls amend the source.

1 Like

Re: What Damages Your Tire by milestonejnr(m): 10:01am On Dec 28, 2014
lomomike:

ok sir
Re: What Damages Your Tire by Coldplay007(f): 5:36pm On Dec 29, 2014
milestonejnr:
Whenever you see someone driving a well maintained car, I suggest you applaud him (not her.. girls don't always deal on car stuffs) . Owning a car is one thing while maintaining a car is a different ball game altogether. When you have a car, you have another virtual family to bother about...the routine checks, alignment, wheel balancing etc.

But for now, I want to talk about TIRES...yes, tires.
Do you agree with me that tires are one important part of a car? It is the only part of the car that makes contact with the road (if somewhere else in your car makes contact with the ground, I suggest you meet your mechanic), so it should be regularly inspected.

It is advisable to change your car tires whenever you notice they are no longer good for driving. I know you must have seen or heard about car tires bursting on highway; this is hazardous and may cost you something you may not like. It is advisable you change your car tires every 40,000 - 50, 000 miles. This tire of a thing is not cheap ooo, you can ask anyone that drives Range Rover.

THINGS THAT CAN DAMAGE THE TIRES

1. Under-inflation: In this condition, the tires will not be placed correctly on the road. This causes excessive wear and loss of grip and may lead to sudden tire failure. This causes wears on both sides of the tire[img][/img]

2. Over-inflated: This will make the tire rapidly wear in the center of the thread. This will also reduce the smoothness of your ride.
Note this: In some car manuals, it is advisable to increase the pressure in your tires when you want to transfer heavy loads. Even when you over inflate your tires for high loads, remember to reduce afterwards.[img][/img]

3. Misaligned wheels: As a result of wheel misalignment, the front tires may wear unevenly. This alignment could be done for a small fee.
[img][/img]

Always look for signs of damage, cuts, bulges and potential blowout. Ensure the tire is wearing off evenly.

source:http://ogbunyamaemeka..com/2014/12/things-that-can-damage-your-tires.html

I take offense at the bolded.. undecided
I demand an apology and a retraction in that order..
If not.....

2 Likes

Re: What Damages Your Tire by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:43pm On Dec 29, 2014
Coldplay007:

If not.....
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What Damages Your Tire by Coldplay007(f): 9:52pm On Dec 29, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Imagine!! See insult.. embarassed
Re: What Damages Your Tire by Nobody: 10:33pm On Dec 29, 2014
What damages your tire?

Vengeful GF that you just kicked to the curb.
Re: What Damages Your Tire by 9icetoo(m): 7:42am On Dec 30, 2014
Screeching especially when braking, spinning your tires when accelerating, taking bends and corners at high speeds, driving on loose gravel or soil (they are highly abrasive). Coldplay abeg no vex oo. Apologies. grin

1 Like

Re: What Damages Your Tire by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:01am On Dec 30, 2014
Bones! Give your tyres food to eat b4 they start picking up bones on the road grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1927820_bone20in20tyre2_jpeg3a20bf81f07ec563ae680f42ba25dfd3
Re: What Damages Your Tire by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:02am On Dec 30, 2014
Bones! Give your tyres food to eat b4 they start picking up bones on the road grin

Re: What Damages Your Tire by billy187(m): 4:22pm On Dec 30, 2014
From experience, I advise y'all invest in a device to measure tyre pressure.

A couple of weeks ago I went to one of the local vulcanizers to check my Ford's tyre pressure. I told the dude to take them all to 32psi, the recommended pressure, according to my manual. The fellow got to work and after paying him off. I was on my way.

I quicky noticed the rather uncomfortable ride, which I assumed was quite normal. It was actually when I was driving home one night that that a steady thump, thumped emanated from the rear of the car, followed up with a vibration that rattled the back seats. However, the tires looked fine when I pulled over to examine them. But when I got home and examined them in the light of my garage, what I saw alarmed me. One of the rear tires had ripped open along the thread, so badly that the underlying metallic mesh was visible.

I took the car to a second place, a more 'modern' facility quite far from the house to rotate and replace the rear tires. It was when the guy was checking the pressure that he suddenly looked me straight in the face and asked 'who filled your tyres?'

I was like "na vulcanizeroo"

"The guy fill am past 50oo."

I was like shocked shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: What Damages Your Tire by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:43pm On Dec 30, 2014
billy187:
From experience, I advise y'all invest in a device to measure tyre pressure.

A couple of weeks ago I went to one of the local vulcanizers to check my Ford's tyre pressure. I told the dude to take them all to 32psi, the recommended pressure, according to my manual. The fellow got to work and after paying him off. I was on my way.

I quicky noticed the rather uncomfortable ride, which I assumed was quite normal. It was actually when I was driving home one night that that a steady thump, thumped emanated from the rear of the car, followed up with a vibration that rattled the back seats. However, the tires looked fine when I pulled over to examine them. But when I got home and examined them in the light of my garage, what I saw alarmed me. One of the rear tires had ripped open along the thread, so badly that the underlying metallic mesh was visible.

I took the car to a second place, a more 'modern' facility quite far from the house to rotate and replace the rear tires. It was when the guy was checking the pressure that he suddenly looked me straight in the face and asked 'who filled your tyres?'

I was like "na vulcanizeroo"

"The guy fill am past 50oo."

I was like shocked shocked shocked

@ the bolded, sometimes I feel they do it on purpose just to ensure you come back. RIP rear tyre grin
Re: What Damages Your Tire by billy187(m): 6:37pm On Dec 30, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

@ the bolded, sometimes I feel they do it on purpose just to ensure you come back. RIP rear tyre grin

I just noticed a frightening bulge on one of my front tires this evening ....My dough don finis! cry

Ain't setting foot at that vulcanizer's again !!
Re: What Damages Your Tire by milestonejnr(m): 7:24pm On Jan 04, 2015
lomomike:

Lol... Am I wrong?
Re: What Damages Your Tire by milestonejnr(m): 7:25pm On Jan 04, 2015
Coldplay007:

If not.....

grin... Am I wrong?
Re: What Damages Your Tire by milestonejnr(m): 7:29pm On Jan 04, 2015
Coldplay007, apologies
Re: What Damages Your Tire by Coldplay007(f): 9:03pm On Jan 04, 2015
milestonejnr:
Coldplay007, apologies

Lol.. Better grin
Saw ur PM too.. what a gentleman unlike nurey.... tongue
Re: What Damages Your Tire by nurey(m): 7:36am On Jan 05, 2015
Coldplay007:

Lol.. Better grin
Saw ur PM too.. what a gentleman unlike nurey.... tongue

What did I do again nawa ooo. tongue

(1) (Reply)

10 Most Dangerous Roads In The World. (feeble Hearts Are Advised To Stay Away) / How To Determing A Good Toyota Camry Ac Compressor / MMT Gear Problems (multimode)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.