Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,445 members, 7,808,595 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:58 PM

Why There Can't Be Evidence For God - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why There Can't Be Evidence For God (12755 Views)

Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? / Fulfilled Prophecies: Evidence For The Reliability Of The Bible / The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by Pr0ton: 2:47pm On Dec 28, 2014
So I was pondering on this verse about faith i.e Hebrews 11:1. Soon I began to realize the implausibility of any EVIDENCE/PROOF for God as long as FAITH is involved. Here are some translations of Hebrews 11:1

GOD'S WORD® Translation

Faith assures us of things we expect and convinces us of the existence of things we cannot see.

King James Bible
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

New International Version
Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.

International Standard Version
Now faith is the assurance that what we hope for will come about and the certainty that what we cannot see exists.

So I began to realize why John and Paul emphasize on faith in other to have any connection with God. They also knew that there could not be any proof for God's existence. The existence of God should be accepted by faith.

Trying to know more on faith, I looked it up on Wikipedia and I got this:

"Faith is defined as confidence or trust in a being, object, living organism, deity, view, or in the doctrines or teachings of a religion, as well as confidence based ON NO scientific, plausible, testable, demonstrable evidence whatsoever.

Again, there can't be any PROOF for God as long as FAITH is involved, for the availability of PROOF nulifies FAITH. And remember, without faith it's impossible to please God. To put Heb 11:6 in a clear term, your belief in God must be on the ground of no evidence only by this your acceptable.

Then no matter how theists try to find evidence for God they'll always fail if truly their God exists. In even trying to find, the are pulling faith down and displeasing their God.

Another interesting fact is if the evidence for God is in anyway possible then God is part of nature, and not supernatural. Take air for example, you can't see it but you can prove it exists. It then becomes nature and not supernatural. The same works with any possible proof for God.

Tag: Dapo777, Herald9, Dopeyomi, Francistony, Rossike, Pesty100, Realtem, Masonkz, Davien, Kay17, AtheistD, Plaetton, Logicboy7 and every rationalmind I don't have in memory now.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by plaetton: 2:55pm On Dec 28, 2014
Pr0ton:
So I was pondering on this verse about faith i.e Hebrews 11:1. Soon I began to realize the implausibility of any EVIDENCE/PROOF for God as long as FAITH is involved. Here are some translations of Hebrews 11:1

GOD'S WORD® Translation

Faith assures us of things we expect and convinces us of the existence of things we cannot see.

King James Bible
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.

Now faith is the assurance that what we hope for will come about and the certainty that what we cannot see exists.
You have highlighted what most us have always insisted, .... That the proof of god is in the faith ( the head) of the believer.
Period.

So I began to realize why John and Paul emphasize on faith in other to have an connection with God. They also knew that there could not be any proof for God's existence. The existence of God should be accepted by faith.

"Faith is defined as confidence or trust in a being, object, living organism, deity, view, or in the doctrines or teachings of a religion, as well as confidence based ON NO scientific, plausible, testable, demonstrable evidence whatsoever.

Again, there can't be any PROOF for God as long as FAITH is involved, for the availability of PROOF nulifies FAITH. And remember, without faith it's impossible to please God. To put Heb 11:6 in a clear term, your belief in God must be on the ground of no evidence only by this your acceptable.

Then no matter how theists try to find evidence for God they'll always fail if truly their God exists. In even trying to find, the are pulling faith down and displeasing their God.

Another interesting fact is if the evidence for God is in anyway possible then God is part of nature, and not supernatural. Take air for example, you can't see it but you can prove it exists. It then becomes nature and not supernatural. The same works with any possible proof for God.

Tag: Dapo777, Herald9, Dopeyomi, Francistony, Rossike, Pesty100, Realtem, Masonkz, Davien, Kay17, AtheistD, Plaetton, Logicboy7 and every rationalmind I don't have in memory now.
Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by plaetton: 3:03pm On Dec 28, 2014
Pr0ton:

GOD'S WORD® Translation

King James Bible

So I began to realize why John and Paul emphasize on faith in other to have an connection with God. They also knew that there could not be any proof for God's existence. The existence of God should be accepted by faith.

You have highlighted what most us have always insisted, .... That the proof of god is in the faith ( the head) of the believer.
Period.

8 Likes

Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by holatin(m): 3:08pm On Dec 28, 2014
faith/ believe
Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by Pr0ton: 3:13pm On Dec 28, 2014
plaetton:

Period.

And if faith ceases to exist then God ceases to exist.

2 Likes

Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by Pr0ton: 3:14pm On Dec 28, 2014
holatin:
faith/ believe

Yeah. Doesn't sound like they are different, huh.

1 Like

Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by wirinet(m): 3:22pm On Dec 28, 2014
Pr0ton:

Yeah. Doesn't sound like they are different, huh.

What you are saying in essence is that athough the king is dancing stark naked, faith makes people believe the king is fully clothed according to the fashion sense or preference of each believer or each set of believers.

4 Likes

Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by Pr0ton: 3:30pm On Dec 28, 2014
wirinet:

What you are saying in essence is that athough the king is dancing stark naked, faith makes people believe the king is fully clothed according to the fashion sense or preference of each believer or each set of believers.

I find this a bit difficult applying it to the argument I proposed.

3 Likes

Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by wirinet(m): 3:45pm On Dec 28, 2014
Pr0ton:

I find this a bit difficult applying it to the argument I proposed.

I am surprised you did not get the allegory. Since you postulated that God cannot be proven, seen or tested but can only exist by faith in the mind of the believer, it is only comparable with the story of the King who was dancing naked, but the king's tailor made everybody believe be was wearing an invisible royal regalia ( i hope you know the story). People believed and told the king he was wearing the most beautiful royal regalia there is according to their faith, until a little innocent boy came along and told the king the truth.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by Pr0ton: 4:00pm On Dec 28, 2014
wirinet:

wirinet:

I am surprised you did not get the allegory. Since you postulated that God cannot be proven, seen or tested but can only exist by faith in the mind of the believer, it is only comparable with the story of the King who was dancing naked, but the king's tailor made everybody believe be was wearing an invisible royal regalia ( i hope you know the story). People believed and told the king he was wearing the most beautiful royal regalia there is according to their faith, until a little innocent boy came along and told the king the truth.

Lol. Yeah.

1 Like

Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by herald9: 4:18pm On Dec 28, 2014
Pr0ton:

GOD'S WORD® Translation

King James Bible

Unarguably true.
But do you also doubt the existence of a Creator?
That's the reason I can't still come in terms with atheist.
As a deist,I don't believe in the gods invented by man...But I believe in a Creator who doesn't interfere in the activities of it's creation.

One question I can't always answer is why someone will build a house and abandon it. Why Did he build it in the first place when he had no intention of using it...

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by macof(m): 4:27pm On Dec 28, 2014
Faith is the assurance and confidence in things we expect. But there's always something that gives us this "assurance"...it's either we gain this feeling of confidence through thoughts or by weighing the sides and going totally for one...with faith there's no room for doubt because ur mind has already gone through that and conquered it.
With faith you can bring others to ur beliefs without threats and fear but laying factual points that appeal to their cognisance.

You can't preach "have faith" to others or teach them how to have faith, you can only teach them what led u to faith and it's left for them to acquire that faith

Faith is not absence of proof but trust without reservation, that is to say complete limitless trust and this can only be attained when you have factual points, undeniable facts that you have seen that suggest it's plausibility...even when u haven't seen that thing u have faith on...say it is yet to happen

Example could be Having faith in Chelsea beating West brom at home, knowing fully well that West brom are injury stroke and have an even weaker team to face in form Chelsea.

3 Likes

Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by sinequanon: 4:45pm On Dec 28, 2014
Pr0ton:

This is not a definition. It is a circular argument.

Who decides what is "scientific" or "plausible" or what constitutes a "test" or "demonstration" or "evidence"? You are transferring your faith to those people.
Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by plaetton: 4:46pm On Dec 28, 2014
@macof,

I think you are confusing faith with conviction.
They are two different things.
Faith is usually grounded on more faith, perhaps grounded on cascades of myth or legend piled on top each other.

Conviction , on the other hand, is grounded on knowledge, experience, statistical extrapolation, observation or other forms of anecdotal evidence.

3 Likes

Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by Pr0ton: 4:49pm On Dec 28, 2014
herald9:

Unarguably true.
But do you also doubt the existence of a Creator?
That's the reason I can't still come in terms with atheist.
As a deist,I don't believe in the gods invented by man...But I believe in a Creator who doesn't interfere in the activities of it's creation.

One question I can't always answer is why someone will build a house and abandon it. Why Did he build it in the first place when he had no intention of using it...

Maybe if you concentrate your time in studying the flaws in nature you could conclude that everything came by chance afterall. However, I do welcome the idea of Deism sometimes.
Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by Pr0ton: 4:59pm On Dec 28, 2014
sinequanon:

This is not a definition. It is a circular argument.

Who decides what is "scientific" or "plausible" or what constitutes a "test" or "demonstration" or "evidence"? You are transferring your faith to those people.

The current Wikipedia's definition is consistent with the general definition of faith and that from Heb 11:1.

Paul even has it in Romans 8:24b as

New Living Translation
If we already have something, we don't need to hope for it.

1 Like

Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by sinequanon: 5:07pm On Dec 28, 2014
Pr0ton:

The current Wikipedia's definition is consistent with the general definition of faith and that from Heb 11:1.

Paul even has it in Romans 8:24b as

New Living Translation
If we already have something, we don't need to hope for it.

I know next to nothing about religious texts. smiley

I am just saying that most people accept scientific assertions on the same basis as they do any [other] religious assertion, i.e on faith.

Faith is all about your "confidence" in a particular "belief".

If you gain your confidence "first hand", then you are furthest removed from faith. Anything else is degrees of faith, and that includes scientific assertions.
Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by herald9: 5:07pm On Dec 28, 2014
Pr0ton:

Maybe if you concentrate your time in studying the flaws in nature you could conclude that everything came by chance afterall. However, I do welcome the idea of Deism sometimes.

Flaws?
Do you mind pointing out some cause I think everything about nature is perfect, well scripted and acted out on daily basis...

If there was a hitch,we'd probably be suffering from it's consequences.
Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by plaetton: 5:16pm On Dec 28, 2014
herald9:

Flaws?
Do you mind pointing out some cause I think everything about nature is perfect, well scripted and acted out on daily basis...

Sickle cell anaemia is a well known flaw in nature.
Myopia and other ocular diseases are also flaws.
Albinism, hemophilia, dwarfism, etc.
The list is endless.

Unless, of course, you want to blame the devil,.. again.

5 Likes

Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by Pr0ton: 5:16pm On Dec 28, 2014
macof:
Faith is the assurance and confidence in things we expect. But there's always something that gives us this "assurance"...it's either we gain this feeling of confidence through logical thoughts or evidence by weighing the sides and going totally for one...with faith there's no room for doubt because ur mind has already gone through that and conquered it.
With faith you can bring others to ur beliefs without threats and fear but laying factual points that appeal to their cognisance.

You can't preach "have faith" to others or teach them how to have faith, you can only teach them what led u to faith and it's left for them to acquire that faith

Except what led to your faith isn't based on faith then it's no longer faith. Faith deals with assumption which is still faith.

Faith is not absence of proof but trust without reservation, that is to say complete limitless trust and this can only be attained when you have factual points, undeniable facts that you have seen that suggest it's plausibility...even when u haven't seen that thing u have faith on...say it is yet to happen

Example could be Having faith in Chelsea beating West brom at home, knowing fully well that West brom are injury stroke and have an even weaker team to face in form Chelsea.

Guess plaetton has answered you on that one.

Your only assured by assumptions that Chelsea would beat West brom. The result, in the end, may favour your view, and it may not. It doesn't neccessarily give you the future it only gives you the possibility.
Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by Pr0ton: 5:19pm On Dec 28, 2014
sinequanon:

I know next to nothing about religious texts. smiley

I am just saying that most people accept scientific assertions on the same basis as they do any [other] religious assertion, i.e on faith.

Faith is all about your "confidence" in a particular "belief".

If you gain your confidence "first hand", then you are furthest removed from faith. Anything else is degrees of faith, and that includes scientific assertions.

That's where you go wrong with science. Science is based on evidence. Religion is based on faith. smiley
Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by sinequanon: 5:28pm On Dec 28, 2014
Pr0ton:

That's where you go wrong with science. Science is based on evidence. Religion is based on faith. smiley

That is a popular statement that few people bother to examine.

Religion is also based on evidence, e.g the Bible.

Science does not accept some religious evidence and interpretations.

Similarly, religions do not accept some scientific evidence and interpretations.

And, as I explained, science is also based on faith.

They are all a mixture of evidence, interpretation and faith.

Try and pinpoint the different. Nobody has, imo. They just resort to repetition of their position, as you have done.
Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by plaetton: 5:29pm On Dec 28, 2014
Pr0ton:

He is honest enough to admit that he is clueless about religious texts, yet he believes with conviction that science is just like religion.

This same fella knows soooo much about science that he excludes anthropology and psychology as scientific disciplines.

Don't mind this irrationally exuberant non godbeliever, who just happens to be rabidly anti-atheist and anti- science.

6 Likes

Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by Pr0ton: 5:30pm On Dec 28, 2014
herald9:

Flaws?

Plaetton answered you there. In addition, study this mode of nutrition called parasitic mode of nutrition. Two participants are involved; the parasite and the host. The parasite, usually smaller than the host, feeds on its host. The host doesn't benefit, it only gets harmed in the process. Example in man is the parasite Ascaris (roundworm) which lives in the intestine. It sucks digested food from its host. The worm itself is indigestible which makes things worst. It continues its activity which eventually results to abdominal pain, indigestion, anaemia and even death if they are many. Some like the hookworms cut holes into the intestinal walls, suck blood and other fluids.

Remember the ultraviolet ray from the sun that causes skin cancer.
Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by herald9: 5:33pm On Dec 28, 2014
plaetton:

Sickle cell anaemia is a well known flaw in nature.
Myopia and other ocular diseases are also flaws.
Albinism, hemophilia, dwarfism, etc.
The list is endless.

Unless, of course, you want to blame the devil,.. again.

oopz!

Well, this shouldn't stop us from appreciating the other side of nature with it's awesomeness, amazing and complex characteristics... There must be an intelligent Creator responsible for it...

Saying it's chance is just like pointing to a house and telling me the house built itself... doesn't add up and doesn't make sense.

Someone with no name is responsible for it...It's as simple as that.

Lolz, the devil? What is that?

3 Likes

Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by Pr0ton: 5:38pm On Dec 28, 2014
sinequanon:

That is a popular statement that few people bother to examine.

Religion is also based on evidence, e.g the Bible.

Science does not accept some religious evidence and interpretations.

Similarly, religions do not accept some scientific evidence and interpretations.

And, as I explained, science is also based on faith.

They are all a mixture of evidence, interpretation and faith.

Try and pinpoint the different. Nobody has, imo. They just resort to repetition of their position, as you have done.

Even a Bible scholar would denounce your claim. What evidence is in the Bible? They are stories and teachings that are to be taken upon faith. Your told in the Bible that Jesus, a son of God (who you don't even have evidence for), came sometime to the world, died for your sins, resurrected and returned to heaven. A rational mind would reason "is this true?" then the next thing is "if you don't believe you shall perish in eternal lake of fire".. faith again.

6 Likes

Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by manmustwac(m): 5:45pm On Dec 28, 2014
Pr0ton:

science searches for the answers and backs it up with facts while faith is just what you choose to believe based on trust false confidence and false hope

3 Likes

Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by herald9: 5:46pm On Dec 28, 2014
Pr0ton:

Plaetton answered you there. In addition, study this mode of nutrition called parasitic mode of nutrition. Two participants are involved; the parasite and the host. The parasite, usually smaller than the host, feeds on its host. The host doesn't benefit, it only gets harmed in the process. Example in man is the parasite Ascaris (roundworm) which lives in the intestine. It sucks digested food from its host. The worm itself is indigestible which makes things worst. It continues its activity which eventually results to abdominal pain, indigestion, anaemia and even death if they are many. Some like the hookworms cut holes into the intestinal walls, suck blood and other fluids.

Remember the ultraviolet ray from the sun that causes skin cancer.

I don't argue with this... You're right.

But you mean all these came to be by chance?

1 Like

Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by sinequanon: 5:48pm On Dec 28, 2014
Pr0ton:

Even a Bible scholar would denounce your claim. What evidence is in the Bible? They are stories and teachings that are to be taken upon faith. Your told in the Bible that Jesus, a son of God (who you don't even have evidence for), came sometime to the world, died for your sins, resurrected and returned to heaven. A rational mind would reason "is this true?" then the next thing is "if you don't believe you shall perish in eternal lake of fire".. faith again.

All that means is that you personally reject the evidence, not that there is no evidence. A religious person will tell you that they have prayed and felt their god. That, for them is evidence. You are told that the light in your room comes on because electrons are flowing down a wire. That, for you is evidence, although you have never seen an "electron".

What science have you questioned? How have you questioned it? Let us be honest, most of it you repeat without any first hand experience, so you are relying on faith.
Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by Pr0ton: 5:50pm On Dec 28, 2014
herald9:

That's the only option left, tho seems too complex to be.
Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by sinequanon: 5:53pm On Dec 28, 2014
herald9:

It is not as simple as people make out. For example, sickle cell can confer immunity to malaria. There are a whole list of so-called "flaws" that have turned out to be scientific ignorance.
Re: Why There Can't Be Evidence For God by plaetton: 5:58pm On Dec 28, 2014
herald9:

oopz!

Well, this shouldn't stop us from appreciating the other side of nature with it's awesomeness, amazing and complex characteristics... There must be an intelligent Creator responsible for it...

Saying it's chance is just like pointing to a house and telling me the house built itself... doesn't add up and doesn't make sense.

Someone with no name is responsible for it...It's as simple as that.
Lolz, the devil? What is that?
What you should ponder is whether chance, random arrangement and interactions of matter over a period of billions of years is capable of evolving intelligent arrangements and intelligence.
The answer is already yes.
Snow flakes are the clearest example of very intelligent, very mathematically precise, very awesomely beautiful arrangement of molecules formed in a very short period of time by purely random coincidence of natural events.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Great Men That Fell In Bible Because Of Women / Any Muslims Who Converted To Christainity? / What Is Your Take On Harvest And Bazaar?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.