Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,964 members, 7,806,787 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:13 AM

How To Prevent Hired Developers From Stealing Your Source Code - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How To Prevent Hired Developers From Stealing Your Source Code (948 Views)

How To Encrypt Your Source Code / Why Are Most Web Developers From Lagos? / Ever Seen The Source Code Of Google.com? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Prevent Hired Developers From Stealing Your Source Code by Nipeks(m): 9:01pm On Dec 28, 2014
Is there a more diplomatic way of preventing your staffs from stealing your code other than locking them up and restricting them to wireless communication and storage devices.

This is what a facebook engineer (Don Pinkus) said @[url]http://www.quora.com/How-do-Google-and-Facebook-keep-their-source-codes-secure-when-hundreds-of-staff-members-have-access-to-it[/url]:

Used to be an engineer at Facebook.

Pretty much nothing physically stops you from copying and pasting the code, and sending it to yourself.

The legal & career repercussions for doing this would be severe.

Also, most of the code isn't really that cool on its own. It's not like you can just copy paste FB's code and have Facebook. You need all of the data that the algorithms use, infrastructure, and much more.

And as others said, some of the security measures are more locked down, and a lot of the employees (including many engineers) never need to interact with them (i.e. encryption)

Also, you only code on FB's codebase on your work computer. Theres pretty much no reason for the code to ever leave your work computer - so code doesn't really just "leak" over time.

Edit: if you searched hard, you probably could find snippets of FB code on Stackoverflow when employees ask questions. But after the first few weeks on the job, any engineer would realize they should anonymize the code.

I think I might have pasted 1 or 2 raw snippets of PHP on the first few days I was learning code at FB, and actually got some people to reply on StackOverflow saying "what the hell kind of PHP is that"... turns out I was pasting snippets of "Hack", our at the time very secret language.

(1) (Reply)

Newsletter And Email Blast System Built Using PHP & Mysql / Web Design Tutor Needed Urgently. / How To Add Google Adsense Codes On Your Blog/website

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.