Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,729 members, 7,806,001 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:55 AM

Advice On Long Distance Journey - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Advice On Long Distance Journey (20266 Views)

Ladies What Is The Longest Distance You Have Driven A Car? / Which Vehicle Do You Prefer For Long Distance Journey Within Nigeria And Why? / V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice On Long Distance Journey by d33types: 1:09pm On Dec 29, 2014
I haven't driven upto 6 hours straight before, especially on the highways.I have the strength and will though.

The anxiety is fear for the stability/durability of my car.It's a Honda accord 97 which has never given me headaches: no overheating, brakes, transmission or "legs" issues.I religiously do regular maintenance.I have this fear that this car that rarely disappoints will do when I travel

please, I need the house to guide with with a checklist of what I need to do on my car so as to have a successful journey.long distance drivers..especially.thanks alot.

cc;lomomike,siena,ikenna,gazzuz,cityng and other gurus

2 Likes

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by alfa0: 1:25pm On Dec 29, 2014
How many years of experience do you have in Driving.?
if you are not experienced ,please don't do it,but if you have experience,then you need to conquer your fears.please dont go highway when you have fears all over you,least you might cause disaster...i will advise you forget about driving yourself.please take public transport..when your mind is matured enough in driving ,then go highway.Its not your car,Its your mind that is trying to confuse you.

cheers

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by TrishaP(f): 1:45pm On Dec 29, 2014
I think a proper maintenance should be taken before embarking on the journey. 2ndly, when u go for 3hrs straight u can cut the journey by relaxing somewhere like a fast food for like 30mins before you continue and 3rdly, according to the oga at the top said it is the mind that controls everything.

So don't be scared my dear, it's no big deal

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by d33types: 1:54pm On Dec 29, 2014
thanks alfa,trishaP.

I've been driving for 7yrs.all the while intracity.I enter the express way for an average of 10minutes and never interstate.My car is always serviced.Any small fault is well taken care of.at least the obvious ones

just got my personal car about a year ago though
Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by TrishaP(f): 1:56pm On Dec 29, 2014
d33types:
thanks alfa,trishaP.

I've been driving for 7yrs.all the while intracity.I enter the express way for an average of 10minutes and never interstate.My car is always serviced.Any small fault is well taken care of.at least the obvious ones
Your welcome
Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by alfa0: 2:03pm On Dec 29, 2014
d33types:
thanks alfa,trishaP.

just got my personal car about a year ago though

7 years of driving intracity is different from 6 straight hours on highway..i know it can not be same experience.
From what you said you car is well maintained..so its clearly fears,well you can get a second person who is more qualified than you do,to guild you while you do your first long trip.please ignore all other speed racers as you will see many of them on highway.please don't let their speed induce you.

7 Likes

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Nobody: 9:42pm On Dec 29, 2014
d33types:
I haven't driven upto 6 hours straight before, especially on the highways.I have the strength and will though.

The anxiety is fear for the stability/durability of my car.It's a Honda accord 97 which has never given me headaches: no overheating, brakes, transmission or "legs" issues.I religiously do regular maintenance.I have this fear that this car that rarely disappoints will do when I travel

please, I need the house to guide with with a checklist of what I need to do on my car so as to have a successful journey.long distance drivers..especially.thanks alot.

cc;lomomike,siena,ikenna,gazzuz,cityng and other gurus

There's no reason why any car that is well maintained cannot make a 6 hour trip.

When I was shuttling between Los Angeles, California and Dallas, Texas, I had a 1998 or so BMW 528i. 24 hours non stop door to door and the car never broke a sweat. I'm usually doing over 100 mph and occasional forays into the 150mph range sometimes for an hour.

The key is your maintenance regiment on your vehicle.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by TCD: 6:53am On Dec 30, 2014
There is no big deal difference riding intra city and highway. Road is road. Just follow same safe driving rules you shouldn't have any difficulty.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by d33types: 7:49am On Dec 30, 2014
thanks y'all.I'll do this.

1 Like

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by alfa0: 10:21am On Dec 30, 2014
TCD:
There is no big deal difference riding intra city and highway. Road is road. Just follow same safe driving rules you shouldn't have any difficulty.

i disagree with you sir,

Intra city and Highway driving are totally two different things.

1. The degree of mental alertness is not the same

2.Your decision making time can not be the same

3. Your speed can not be same

4. The driving skills comes to proper test on highways

5. Your car must be well maintained to do constant high speed for a long time,And assuming your car is not sound or well maintained and you still want to go high way,my brother your experience will help you a lot .
I can go on and on,but let me stop here. .

cheers

25 Likes

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by ProfJYK(m): 11:54pm On Dec 30, 2014
there is a difference BTW city and highway driving but then, a day begins a story. I did Owerri-PHC and back between 10am and 2pm same day and I am just few weeks behind the wheels.

be alert, keep your lines straight, don't over speed especially on roads single carriage ways, go with a road worthy vehicle and u will be fine.

another tip is to leave on a day and at hours that are less competitive.

also had an Owerri- Lag trip with a three months experienced driver. safe, sound and in record time (5am-11am)

just be prepared.

4 Likes

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Nep2une(m): 3:43pm On Jan 13, 2015
if your car broke down yu could just call autosave roadside assistance they make sense. they normally send a mechanic to come help yu repair the car or send a towing van to pick yu. check their site http://autosave.com.ng nd sign up for a year cover or call 07051990781

2 Likes

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by dokyOloye: 10:49pm On Feb 26, 2015
Intercity driving is way easier than intracity.
D rule is "don't speed or overspeed.
Intracity,U have lots of bends,corners,traffic,other drivers coming from sometimes 4 diff directions,mad and impatient drivers,etc.
Intercity,d road is fairly straight, U just have to calculate Ur overtakes well,and other little precautions.

5 Likes

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Nobody: 10:53pm On Feb 28, 2015
TrishaP:
I think a proper maintenance should be taken before embarking on the journey. 2ndly, when u go for 3hrs straight u can cut the journey by relaxing somewhere like a fast food for like 30mins before you continue and 3rdly, according to the oga at the top said it is the mind that controls everything.

So don't be scared my dear, it's no big deal

Coming from a woman....hmmmm

2 Likes

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by lonelydora: 2:04am On Mar 01, 2015
TCD:

A lot of difference from Highway and Intracity driving. Speed is more, Alertness is high, Time for decision making is very low, agility needed,etc.
@Op, Make sure your bow joint is in order, then you are good to go. As TrishaP stated, you can break the journey into segments. From Port Harcourt to Kaduna, i always break mine at Lokoja.

1 Like

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by chnovpaul(m): 3:01pm On Mar 01, 2015
Just as many of the above have posted, intracity driving is definitely NOT the same as intercity driving. Your driving skills are brought to the fore on the highway?

My own first test came over a year ago when I had to do Oshogbo to Awka with a Volvo S80. Spent 9 hours on the road with a 30min break in between. Just did the same journey today in 4 hours 30 mins in the same car.

As always, keep your speed to what you can handle. Never be tempted to follow other speed demons.

Secondly, keep your mind alert. Get as much rest as you can the night before your journey. Don't over eat (eating too much drains blood from the brain, and you'll end up drowsy at a point when you need your mind alert). Hydrate well, and avoid alcohol or drugs that may influence your brain.

Take a break whenever you feel you're getting drowsy.

And it makes lot of sense to have some company, if you can.

Lest I forget, keep your car top shape.

18 Likes

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Ikenna351(m): 8:45pm On Mar 01, 2015
TCD:

What you posted above could lead to a lot of sad faces. Highway drive is not a computer car game. Everything happens in seconds, no time for you to even remember what you have read here. You have to develop the skills.

Ikenna

7 Likes

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Ikenna351(m): 8:52pm On Mar 01, 2015
I Always go on empty stomach whenever I am doing long distance driving or highway drive. Even when I buy edibles and keep in my lions before I set out, I hardly touch until I get to my final destination, except water and/or FAB energy drink(s). That's all. It helps to keep me alert.

Ikenna

4 Likes

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by TCD: 9:34pm On Mar 01, 2015
LOL you guys are funny fa. Someone reading this who hasn't driven highway before will think its a big deal.

I still maintain it is not. it's the same road. it's the same cars you see in city you will see In highway, the same human beings driving the cars both in city and highway.

and to those mentioning reaction times being low, agility and alertness etc. I would think all those are even needed more in jam packed intracity driving where there are more cars , and keke or motorcycle drivers can just cut in from anywhere, add pedestrians crossing road at will.

intracity is even more difficult.

Anyone who can drive intracity succesfully with all these then highway will be a piece of cake.

17 Likes

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Ikenna351(m): 9:58pm On Mar 01, 2015
TCD:
LOL you guys are funny fa. Someone reading this who hasn't driven highway before will think its a big deal.

I still maintain it is not. it's the same road. it's the same cars you see in city you will see In highway, the same human beings driving the cars both in city and highway.

and to those mentioning reaction times being low, agility and alertness etc. I would think all those are even needed more in jam packed intracity driving where there are more cars , and keke or motorcycle drivers can just cut in from anywhere, add pedestrians crossing road at will.

intracity is even more difficult.

Anyone who can drive intracity succesfully with all these then highway will be a piece of cake.

So the same way you drive when you have a tyre blowout and brake hard in the city, its the same way you drive when you experience the same on highway?

The same way you drive bumper to bumper in the city (which 70% of Nigerians are guilty of in the city), is the same gap one should give other vehicles on highway on high speed?

So the same way you would swerve in the city to avoid jumping potholes or hitting objects, is the same way one should swerve when on highway and on highspeed and sees a big pothole or swerve to avoid bush meat that ran out suddenly from bush?

So the same way you would drive while negotiating a corner/bend in a city, is the same method one must apply when negotiating a bend on high-speed on highway?

So the same way a vehicles suspension and brakes would generally behave in the city, is the same way the vehicle would do on high-speed on highway?

Federal Road Safety Commission really need to take the testing of drivers driving skills before issuing new Driver's Licences and renewing the expired ones, seriously. Because the cause of high rate of death on our highways is so pronounced in this thread.

Ikenna

14 Likes

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by adeshola1(m): 10:04pm On Mar 01, 2015
k
Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by tola9ja: 10:05pm On Mar 01, 2015
hope is not borno grin grin grin

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by AmakaDNB(f): 10:05pm On Mar 01, 2015
ok
Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Nobody: 10:05pm On Mar 01, 2015
Model 97?
You are better off with public transport before the car quench for road.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Thebrightest(m): 10:05pm On Mar 01, 2015
All you need to do is to buy enough gala and lacassara because of hold up

2 Likes

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Nobody: 10:07pm On Mar 01, 2015
I don mistakenly book space here,abeg wetin them dey talk self.
Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Ask4bigneyo(m): 10:07pm On Mar 01, 2015
You need to glance tru FRSC handbook....
Fellow NLders, i need ur votes here...
www.micropage.opera.com/etisng/jvmeiq1rst.html
Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by chimah3(m): 10:07pm On Mar 01, 2015
Safe!!
Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Maczeelly(m): 10:07pm On Mar 01, 2015
Ok
Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Nobody: 10:08pm On Mar 01, 2015
Tires.

Make sure u have good tires.

2 Likes

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Lagusta(m): 10:09pm On Mar 01, 2015
Ikenna351:

So the same way you drive when you have a tyre blowout and brake hard in the city, its the same way you drive when you experience the same on highway?

The same way you drive bumper to bumper in the city (which 70% of Nigerians are guilty of in the city), is the same gap one should give other vehicles on highway on high speed?

So the same way you would swerve in the city to avoid jumping potholes or hitting objects, is the same way one should swerve when on highway and on highspeed and sees a big pothole or swerve to avoid bush meat that ran out suddenly from bush?

So the same way you would drive while negotiating a corner/bend in a city, is the same method one must apply when negotiating a bend on high-speed on highway?

So the same way a vehicles suspension and brakes would generally behave in the city, is the same way the vehicle would do on high-speed on highway?

Federal Road Safety Commission really need to take the testing of drivers driving skills before issuing new Driver's Licences and renewing the expired ones, seriously. Because the cause of high rate of death on our highways is so pronounced in this thread.

Ikenna

Nice submission!!!!

@TCD, driving on the highway is TOTALLY different from driving on the city streets...

Speed, overtaking, reaction time, distance between cars, alertness.... Name it all, it changes within a split second...

One needs to be more careful while on the highway..... Or would you compare driving on third mainland bridge to driving on abiodun jagun street

2 Likes

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Holuwathoby(m): 10:10pm On Mar 01, 2015

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? / Rolls Royce : 15 Eye Opening Facts You Should Know / My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.