Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,510 members, 7,808,866 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:18 PM

Advice On Long Distance Journey - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Advice On Long Distance Journey (20276 Views)

Ladies What Is The Longest Distance You Have Driven A Car? / Which Vehicle Do You Prefer For Long Distance Journey Within Nigeria And Why? / V6 Fuel Economy On Long Distance Journey (Lagos - Abuja) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by JOF2: 10:13pm On Mar 01, 2015
Broda, if you know youhave fears better let some drive you,then you drive along the way to build your confidendence.

The true ability of a car is not known unless you have driving at least 6-10 hrs hourney none stop
Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Nobody: 10:13pm On Mar 01, 2015
Ensure your car is in top shape.

Obey all driving & traffic rules.

Make sure all your particulars are up to date.

'Pot wells' come without warning, do NOT overspeed or move too close to the vehicle in front of you.

When you see NPF or FRSC men on the road just drive slowly towards them on the defined single lane & obey their instruction.
If it's a military checkpoint, do NOT make or receive calls within or around the checkpoint & face the drums blocking your lane giving enough room to move out ONLY when you are beckoned to do so.

3 Likes

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by slap1(m): 10:17pm On Mar 01, 2015
Conquer your fears. The only way to have a highway driving experience is to drive on the highway. Like someone said, obey the rules of driving. Safe trip.
Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Nobody: 10:20pm On Mar 01, 2015
Seen to unseen....

Dash board.... What kind of warning sign do you have on your dash board. Air bag(red) don't move.
Check engine. Orange; no issues. red; don't move.
Oil shortages; don't move
Battery; don't move, your journey might stretch into the night, then u'd understand why u shouldn't have moved.

Suspension: check your "shocks," your road stability- you don't want to drive at high speeds of about 100km/h with bad stabilizers, sadly some vehicles have missing stabilizers. Check your tie rods too.

Tires: you'll need good tires with proper threads, chances are , if you come across road safety, they'll try to place a coin btw the tire threads, if it doesn't hold, problems.
Check your wheel alignments, trust me, you need this one for your long trip, else u find yourself fighting with your wheels all through.
Check your Hub(tire) system. If it makes a slight roomy hum, it has issues. Your ball joints too need to be looked into, specially for honda cars. Let's just say they have reputation for pulling wheels. You could also throw in your staring rack too.

Transmission. How does your vehicle shift? Is it noisy or smooth. What's the response time when you step on the gas? Does it rev high before response?

Brakes: very sharp breaks needed! You'd know why, when some Jack a..s.s overtakes you at alarming speed, more so, if that Jack....a..ss drives a luxury bus.

Mirrors! Trust me, on the high way, vehicles just appear behind you, before u blink, they are beside you and while u are pondering, they are gone.... So u don't assume there's no car beside you and just swerve..... You must look.

Wipers: wait for the rains, at high speed, u'd understand why city driving is so much different from highway driving... Your speed make the rain pellets seem to hit harder at ur car.

Experience and a calm clear head! Let's just say if this is your first time, don't pick any chicks.....

Music..... Needed to break long monotonous views.... U need to give ur brain something else other than endless stretch of roads.

Cooling..... Check your radiator, and cooling system,

Instincts...... Never rule out instincts in travels..... Listen and obey!

Prayers! Pray dude!

Jesus: you know u need him even if the Trip is short!

Do not fear! Step on the gas bro, and do low speeds till u get accustomed to the movement. Avoid racing other cars too...

Your car age and mileage isn't an issue in as much as you maintain properly. .

14 Likes

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by streetshuttle(m): 10:21pm On Mar 01, 2015
TrishaP:
I think a proper maintenance should be taken before embarking on the journey. 2ndly, when u go for 3hrs straight u can cut the journey by relaxing somewhere like a fast food for like 30mins before you continue and 3rdly, according to the oga at the top said it is the mind that controls everything.

So don't be scared my dear, it's no big deal

Jst to add to d add i quoted. There is no big deal in driving, all you need is to first conquar your fear. Then aside fear, get your car to your mechanic to do proper check up and other needfull. When u drive for like an hour or more or even less, pack off shoulder and excercise your legs to avoid cramps. Most importantly, make sure that your brain, legs, hands, eyes, ears and all other parts of your body are engage, as in up and running, that is y i prefer traveling with manual type of vehicle, auto will make you lazy, pls and pls, don't ever carry partners that can sleep in the front seat. It will affect your driving, cause your to sleep and you know what that means. Try and get water in your car, exra fan belt, first aid box, fire extinguisher, tourchlight, among others. That's my little advice.

2 Likes

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by sule5727: 10:22pm On Mar 01, 2015
alfa0:
How many years of experience do you have in Driving.?
if you are not experienced ,please don't do it,but if you have experience,then you need to conquer your fears.please dont go highway when you have fears all over you,least you might cause disaster...i will advise you forget about driving yourself.please take public transport..when your mind is matured enough in driving ,then go highway.Its not your car,Its your mind that is trying to confuse you.

cheers
good advice thanks
Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Nobody: 10:23pm On Mar 01, 2015
Pls check on your tyres . Very very important.
Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by johnjon: 10:27pm On Mar 01, 2015
TCD:
LOL you guys are funny fa. Someone reading this who hasn't driven highway before will think its a big deal.

I still maintain it is not. it's the same road. it's the same cars you see in city you will see In highway, the same human beings driving the cars both in city and highway.

and to those mentioning reaction times being low, agility and alertness etc. I would think all those are even needed more in jam packed intracity driving where there are more cars , and keke or motorcycle drivers can just cut in from anywhere, add pedestrians crossing road at will.

intracity is even more difficult.

Anyone who can drive intracity succesfully with all these then highway will be a piece of cake.

chyket:
Its no big deal.Once you get into the expressway,you will adapt immediately and after about an hour ,you will forget all these fears.
Personally I think its easier to drive on the highway than intracity.
The major thing you need to do is try and have a companion so that you don't sleep off on the steering.

Spot on!

I agree with you guys.
Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by chyket(m): 10:27pm On Mar 01, 2015
Its no big deal.Once you get into the expressway,you will adapt immediately and after about an hour ,you will forget all these fears.
Personally I think its easier to drive on the highway than intracity.
The major thing you need to do is try and have a companion so that you don't sleep off on the steering.

2 Likes

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Btruth: 10:28pm On Mar 01, 2015
d33types:
I haven't driven upto 6 hours straight before, especially on the highways.I have the strength and will though.

The anxiety is fear for the stability/durability of my car.It's a Honda accord 97 which has never given me headaches: no overheating, brakes, transmission or "legs" issues.I religiously do regular maintenance.I have this fear that this car that rarely disappoints will do when I travel

please, I need the house to guide with with a checklist of what I need to do on my car so as to have a successful journey.long distance drivers..especially.thanks alot.

cc;lomomike,siena,ikenna,gazzuz,cityng and other gurus
Where do you want to drive to?..... Maiduguri?
Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by TrishaP(f): 10:28pm On Mar 01, 2015
streetshuttle:

Jst to add to d add i quoted. There is no big deal in driving, all you need is to first conquar your fear. Then aside fear, get your car to your mechanic to do proper check up and other needfull. When u drive for like an hour or more or even less, pack off shoulder and excercise your legs to avoid cramps. Most importantly, make sure that your brain, legs, hands, eyes, ears and all other parts of your body are engage, as in up and running, that is y i prefer traveling with manual type of vehicle, auto will make you lazy, pls and pls, don't ever carry partners that can sleep in the front seat. It will affect your driving, cause your to sleep and you know what that means. Try and get water in your car, exra fan belt, first aid box, fire extinguisher, tourchlight, among others. That's my little advice.
I'm not the driver in question.
Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by TrishaP(f): 10:30pm On Mar 01, 2015
drlawizle:

Coming from a woman....hmmmm
You don't think women drives, do you?

1 Like

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by papercoin(m): 10:31pm On Mar 01, 2015
Take on your fear b4 taking on the highway, your car with regular maintanance would take ya there *eehm check your bushen & barlin wello I fear honda legs especially the front*

Btw don't forget ya fuel pump
Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Edusouls(m): 10:31pm On Mar 01, 2015
trust your instincts, you are not new to driving anymore, you are experienced just that you are not used to highways..once you try it you will get used to it, get new tyres first, align your steering wella, change engine oil, check fan belt, dont turn on a.c to avoid much stress on the engine dont do over 120 maximum or less than 90minimum, always stay on the right lane,dont be in a hurry to overtake unless it is a clear course, slow and steady you will be there..

1 Like

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by smsdigito: 10:34pm On Mar 01, 2015
I just decided to comment here because i see some people saying alot of things about driving long distance.

Well, like a few of those who commented have rightly said, adequate maintenance is number 1, number two is ur experience, numb 3 is the will power and inner believe and energy that YOU CAN and finally It is God that saves.

Let me tell this readers something that will beat their imagination when it comes to this, years ago, after my first 6 months of being on the steering and against all warnings and advise, i drove from lagos with my family to my village about 11 hours from lagos and back after spending 1week there . Can you beat that?
Up till today some of my friends still doubt if i drove myself and even i myself atimes i wonder how i managed to achieved, but all things are possible if only you believe.

5 Likes

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by madgoat(m): 10:36pm On Mar 01, 2015
Ikenna351:

So the same way you drive when you have a tyre blowout and brake hard in the city, its the same way you drive when you experience the same on highway?

The same way you drive bumper to bumper in the city (which 70% of Nigerians are guilty of in the city), is the same gap one should give other vehicles on highway on high speed?

So the same way you would swerve in the city to avoid jumping potholes or hitting objects, is the same way one should swerve when on highway and on highspeed and sees a big pothole or swerve to avoid bush meat that ran out suddenly from bush?

So the same way you would drive while negotiating a corner/bend in a city, is the same method one must apply when negotiating a bend on high-speed on highway?

So the same way a vehicles suspension and brakes would generally behave in the city, is the same way the vehicle would do on high-speed on highway?

Federal Road Safety Commission really need to take the testing of drivers driving skills before issuing new Driver's Licences and renewing the expired ones, seriously. Because the cause of high rate of death on our highways is so pronounced in this thread.

Ikenna

Dude, stop ranting. Someone reading your posts will think its rocket science to drive on the highway... I wonder wat the big deal is and why u are making it sound like a very difficult task. You are just causing unncessary panic. The OP is not new to driving. He has been driving for 7yrs and it will be shameful if after all dat years of experience he cannot manage highway driving. Wats d big deal in d highway sef?
Everything u mentioned above are precautions a good driver should take whether its intra-city or on the highway. Ideally, u should not even be driving bumper to bumber in d city, its bad driving. Should a good driver swerve anyhow in d city to avoid potholes?
Driving on d highway is easier... Just dnt over speed and maintain your lane.

4 Likes

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by andyanders: 10:37pm On Mar 01, 2015
alfa0:
How many years of experience do you have in Driving.?
if you are not experienced ,please don't do it,but if you have experience,then you need to conquer your fears.please dont go highway when you have fears all over you,least you might cause disaster...i will advise you forget about driving yourself.please take public transport..when your mind is matured enough in driving ,then go highway.Its not your car,Its your mind that is trying to confuse you.

cheers

Truth said herein. Never go on Highway when you have fear. You cannot make it. If you want, go with an experienced driver by your side. He will help you conquer fear. He drives and you too can drive.Never EVER try it alone. It is not easy because when you are been overtaken by a big luxurious Bus or Truck, the waive alone can throw you off the road and that is an accident.

Please, and please never try it alone.

1 Like

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Edusouls(m): 10:38pm On Mar 01, 2015
TrishaP:
I think a proper maintenance should be taken before embarking on the journey. 2ndly, when u go for 3hrs straight u can cut the journey by relaxing somewhere like a fast food for like 30mins before you continue and 3rdly, according to the oga at the top said it is the mind that controls everything.

So don't be scared my dear, it's no big deal
hahaha dear have you driven 6hours on the highway before, it is a big deal, women and mouth shir...
Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Sylverbox(m): 10:42pm On Mar 01, 2015
Oga, driving interstate isn't as difficult as people make it seem. Just be alert and look out for other road users.
I hope you know your way well too cos that may pose a problem too...there are some routes u must not ply in the evenings or at night...
Now to your car, what is your prsent mileage, tht not withstanding, check your tyres(change them if need be), make sure you change the oil, oil filter, have your brakes checked, balance ur wheel n align them....take enough cash for the unforeseen....have a safe trip bro...

1 Like

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Maser: 10:42pm On Mar 01, 2015
TCD:
LOL you guys are funny fa. Someone reading this who hasn't driven highway before will think its a big deal.

I still maintain it is not. it's the same road. it's the same cars you see in city you will see In highway, the same human beings driving the cars both in city and highway.

and to those mentioning reaction times being low, agility and alertness etc. I would think all those are even needed more in jam packed intracity driving where there are more cars , and keke or motorcycle drivers can just cut in from anywhere, add pedestrians crossing road at will.

intracity is even more difficult.

Anyone who can drive intracity succesfully with all these then highway will be a piece of cake.

You're clearly wrong in your advice and I doubt if you've driven highway before. I drive long distance nearly every two weeks on very rough Nigerian roads and with 20 years driving experience under my belt.

I can tell the OP that intra-city is completely different from long distance.

In long distance note the following;

Drive at a speed you can control, for a starter please maintain at most 100km/hr

Leave gap between you and other vehicles in case of eventuality

Be foresighted and keep you gaze afar off in order to spot potholes and gradually steer off(not swerve) before you approach.

If you meet any unexpected pothole whilst on speed, do not attempt to swerve off it (this could throw you off the road into the bush). Just slow down a bit and take your foot off your brake and enter the pothole. The worst that could happen is damage to your shock or bottom plate but at least you'll be alive and your car intact.

Be careful on snaky or bending roads, slow down whilst you move on them to avoid being thrown off the road.

Be very cautious of whatever lies ahead that you can't see properly whether a bend, or a hill or mirage.

Do not compete with any car you see on the road

Do not apply brakes abruptly whilst on high speed

You only have split seconds to make life-critical decisions

5 Likes

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by TrishaP(f): 10:43pm On Mar 01, 2015
Edusouls:
hahaha dear have you driven 6hours on the highway before, it is a big deal, women and mouth shir...
I never said I have. But I've been on a long distance journey and we stopped at intervals to help ourselves and the car.
Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Edusouls(m): 10:43pm On Mar 01, 2015
Ikenna351:

What you posted above could lead to a lot of sad faces. Highway drive is not a computer car game. Everything happens in seconds, no time for you to even remember what you have read here. You have to develop the skills.

Ikenna

very true bro

2 Likes

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by Misogynist2014(m): 10:47pm On Mar 01, 2015
When you have Google.
Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by femi4: 10:47pm On Mar 01, 2015
See how Ikenna is instilling fears as if its a rocket science. For somebody with 7yrs intercity driving experience, I believe he will cope.

Just like TCD said, its the same road but now with some adjustment like:

1. Maintaining constant high speed

2 Higher alertness about the road (Beware of dangerous potholes) and vehicles behind you

3. Swift decision making e.g turning, changing lane, overtaking etc

2 Likes

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by madgoat(m): 10:48pm On Mar 01, 2015
Maser:

You're clearly wrong in your advice and I doubt if you've driven highway before. I drive long distance nearly every two weeks on very rough Nigerian roads and with 20 years driving experience under my belt.

I can tell the OP that intra-city is completely different from long distance.

In long distance note the following;

Drive at a speed you can control, for a starter please maintain at most 100km/hr

Leave gap between you and other vehicles in case of eventuality

Be foresighted and keep you gaze afar off in order to spot potholes and gradually steer off(not swerve) before you approach.

If you meet any unexpected pothole whilst on speed, do not attempt to swerve off it (this could throw you off the road into the bush). Just slow down a bit and take your foot off your brake and enter the pothole. The worst that could happen is damage to your shock or bottom plate but at least you'll be alive and your car intact.

Be careful on snaky or bending roads, slow down whilst you move on them to avoid being thrown off the road.

Be very cautious of whatever lies ahead that you can't see properly whether a bend, or a hill or mirage.

Do not compete with any car you see on the road

Do not apply brakes abruptly whilst on high speed

You only have split seconds to make life-critical decisions

All what you have mentioned above are what you apply in the city too. I wonder why you people are making it look like highway driving is rocket science.

1 Like

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by pak: 11:14pm On Mar 01, 2015
It's actually easier to drive inter city, as long as you're not over speeding or tired. I travel like twice every week. Sometimes 8 hr trips to Yola.
Just leave early enough. And if your car has not been giving you any warnings previously, you do not have to worry much.
My practice id that I have all the necessary oils in my car. Gear, power steering etc. Two spare tyres, spanners and what have you. You never know when they might come in handy.

And most importantly, should you ever feel drowsy, don't fight it. Just park somewhere and rest.

1 Like

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by 4tizzle(m): 11:30pm On Mar 01, 2015
For those of you saying it's the same thing UEFA champions lge and epl no be the same oh. Ask man city. Meanwhile even Fernando Alonso would tell you that F1 test practice and the main race aren't the same. When it comes to highway mental strength,experience,precision and road worthiness of the car are the main talking points .

1 Like

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by onlysose(m): 11:32pm On Mar 01, 2015
Leave early to avoid night journey
Make sure your papers are intact
Service your car
Check your tyres and the spare
When you are feeling sleepy dont wait till you get to a town, park, take a stroll, and wash your face, or take a five minute nap
You can take an escort
Dont forget your jack and spanner
Dont be afraid, when you do it once, the fear will be over
Safe journey

1 Like

Re: Advice On Long Distance Journey by dinggle: 11:42pm On Mar 01, 2015
piece of cake! Go to the mech check the legs, as in take off the 4 tires completely and inspect the legs for corrosion, break pads, shafts. If your vehicle uses A/C and your radiator fan is older than two years old change it and apply anti-freeze. Make sure your tires are fit as a fiddle and air tight, rotate all four tires in opposite direction for a better balance. Also inspect your alternator, check if it pulls power at night when you turn on your full light. If it does, either your alternator is struggling or your batter is weak. It is common for vehicles to have a hard start after a long journey with bad alternator. If you check all these you should be good. But while on your long journey I will advise that you also monitor your dashboard signals for temp guage, oil level and power boost level etc. All vehicles give signals long before major issues, sometimes we fail to observe these signals.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car? / Rolls Royce : 15 Eye Opening Facts You Should Know / 6 Fuel Saving Tips For Automatic Drivers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.