Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,117 members, 7,807,374 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:51 PM

Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? (7294 Views)

Super Eagles Team Arrives Kaduna (photos) / Nigerian Ambassador To South Africa Hosts Super Eagles Team At His House. Pics / This Is How The Next Super Eagles Team Should Be (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by randombee: 6:14pm On Dec 12, 2008
I think the USA '94' team was and is still Nigeria's best.

It will take us time to build such a team again.

1 Like

Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by Sauron1: 6:20pm On Dec 12, 2008
The 2000 team that lost to Cameroun in the Nations Cup was the BEST!!!
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by A40(m): 11:06pm On Dec 12, 2008
USA 1994 no question!! Nigeria was balling out of control back in those days they where the guys that made me love football so much
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by Nobody: 11:07pm On Dec 12, 2008
USA 94 team. The only team i could conveniently beat my chest and say was better than any team from Africa, north America, most of South America and a good part of Europe.
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by Sauron1: 11:12pm On Dec 12, 2008
A-40:

USA 1994 no question!! Nigeria was balling out of control back in those days they where the guys that made me love football so much

Are u sure the Tunisia 94 boys were better than Ghana/Nigeria 2000??

I believe the 2000 team were more complete, solid and can score goals.
Kanu, Ikpeba, Babangida, Oliseh(prime), Agahowa(prime), Okocha(prime). . . . . . .
They had to be the unluckiest Naija team ever assembled.
Bonfrere Jo built a solid squad only for a visually impaired referee to deny Naija their Nations Cup trophy.
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by kaypumpin2(m): 11:14pm On Dec 12, 2008
Had to be theTUNISIA/ USA 94 team that narrowly lost out Baggio during the most tedious 120 secs in the history of Nigeria football.There was tenacity,guile,swagger and artistry soccer-wise.This team was even 5th in FIFA ranking prior to the world Cup.The Amunekes,Amokachis,Oliha,Rufai(@his peak then) and not forgetting the goal-machine Rashidi Yekini.Chidi Nwanu,Eguavon,Finidi et al.Spirited Nigerian footballers coached by the no nonsense Westerhof. i salute abeg

1 Like

Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by A40(m): 11:33pm On Dec 12, 2008
~Sauron~:

Are u sure the Tunisia 94 boys were better than Ghana/Nigeria 2000??

I believe the 2000 team were more complete, solid and can score goals.
Kanu, Ikpeba, Babangida, Oliseh(prime), Agahowa(prime), Okocha(prime). . . . . . .
They had to be the unluckiest Naija team ever assembled.
Bonfrere Jo built a solid squad only for a visually impaired referee to deny Naija their Nations Cup trophy.
Without a doubt they ruled Africa and impressed in their first ever World Cup fighting teams like Argentina and Italy to a stand-still they had to resort to dodgy tactics to beat us we where that good
Finidi George (Rated as one of the best wingers in the world at that time)
Amuneke
Rashidi Yekini
Uche Okechukwu
Ben Iroha
Peter Rufai
Sunday Oliseh
Austin Okocha
Austin Eguavoen
Daniel Amokachi

We played with so much flair and entertainment back in those days.Nigeria has not produced a team that good
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by tkb417(m): 1:19pm On Dec 13, 2008
USA 94 for me

Sauron
that 2000 team were shambolic
drew with Guinea, conceeded 2 goals on our turf in a Nations cup finals!!!
they should be castrated especially Victor Ikpeba
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by youngies(m): 5:35pm On Dec 13, 2008
USA 94 team is a complete team, no passenger! It was part of the team that metamorphosed into ATLANTA 96 team. 

We have not seen another team with character like the USA 94 team
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by Olaolufred(m): 4:46pm On Dec 15, 2008
USA '94 Team remains the best.

I saw how the Team turned the Argies and the Nerrazurris into training boys.

They were able to beat SUPER by funny tactics and referree helps

because eagles were taking everyone including Joao Havelange by surprise.

The Team '94 is to be remenbered forever.

That was the only year Nigeria became the 6th best footballing nation in the world.

What a beautifull year to remember.
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by Olaolufred(m): 4:51pm On Dec 15, 2008
The 2000 team that lost to Cameroun in the Nations Cup was the BEST!!!

Sauron talks at time like a baby born Yesterday.

May be you came later than 1994.

Ask elders, or go to archives.

2000 team is a struggling team
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by Ibime(m): 11:40pm On Dec 15, 2008
What is Sauron talking about?. . . . 2000 team was a joke. . . . did we not start Chukwu in the final? . . . . what is the name of that Ijaw boy that used to play centre-back? . . . . Furo Iyenemi, abi something like that. . . what a joke . . . that team was rubbish.

No doubt 1994 was the best team. Amuneke and Finidi on both wings can never be surpassed. Westerhof said that those boys were so fit, there was no need for a second defensive midfielder alongside Oliseh. The amount of work that Finidi and Amuneke did both defensively and offensively meant that the defensive frailty of Okocha was nuanced. Not to mention that The Bull was pressing defenders so hard up the pitch, they couldn't venture forward to put pressure on our somewhat light central midfield.
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by sherrylo: 7:13pm On Dec 16, 2008
Sure the US94 team.
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by Muza(m): 7:22pm On Dec 16, 2008
any nigerian except those who dont watch football will tell you,
Tunusia/USA 94 team.
Till this moment we dont have anything close to that team.
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by dayokanu(m): 7:41pm On Dec 16, 2008
@ Ibime,

Okocha was even a benchwarmer in the US 94 team. It was Amokachi, Adepoju, Siasia or even Oliha that held the midfield
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by dree1: 7:46pm On Dec 16, 2008
De USA '94 Team - FOREVER
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by tkb417(m): 8:02pm On Dec 16, 2008
Okocha was even a benchwarmer in the US 94 team. It was Amokachi, Adepoju, Siasia or even Oliha that held the midfield
Siasia was a striker
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by ajadrage: 8:09pm On Dec 16, 2008
The Eagles of 94 were perhaps the best team ever assembled in the history of Nigerian football. Remember it was a team that started it's build up from 1990, when they won silver against all odds at the nations cup in Algeria. By Senegal 92, the team met a formidable foe in a Ghana squad that boasted names like Tony Yeboah, Abedi Pele, Nii Lamptey etc and we got knocked out for third place. But their day was stil to come.

Prior to their 94 world cup heroics, they had actually won the nations cup in Tunisia in style, whetting appetites with their masterful display of total football. their dominance of African football was to such an extent that it was already assumed that retaining the crown in SA 96 was a given, pity, the 'dark goggled' one spoilt that fun for everyone. That team produced the fragments of future national teams who tried in vain to fill the oversized boots left by Westerhof's boys.

Trust the big Dutch to wield the big stick on any erring player. An important factor to note about the team was their discipline and commitment to playing good football, they all played for each other and aside the politics which reared itself in USA, might have even played the final world cup game.
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by earTHMama: 8:36pm On Dec 16, 2008
Without a doubt they ruled Africa and impressed in their first ever World Cup fighting teams like Argentina and Italy to a stand-still they had to resort to dodgy tactics to beat us we where that good
Finidi George (Rated as one of the best wingers in the world at that time)
Amuneke
Rashidi Yekini
Uche Okechukwu
Ben Iroha
Peter Rufai
Sunday Oliseh
Austin Okocha
Austin Eguavoen
Daniel Amokachi

We played with so much flair and entertainment back in those days.Nigeria has not produced a team that good

You forgot to add:

Thompson Oliha
Chidi Nwanu
Uche okafor
Emeka Ezugo
Michael Emenalo
Reuben Agboola
Efan Ekoku
Samson Siasia
Stephen Keshi
Peter Rufai

That team was the bomb. i had a crush on Emmanuel Amuneke then, he was my best dude in that team.
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by Sauron1: 8:53pm On Dec 16, 2008
Ibime:

What is Sauron talking about?. . . . 2000 team was a joke. . . . did we not start Chukwu in the final? . . . . what is the name of that Ijaw boy that used to play centre-back? . . . . Furo Iyenemi, abi something like that. . . what a joke . . . that team was rubbish.

Blame Bonfrere for starting Chukwu in the final. . . . .but didn't he get the first goal against Cameroun?? undecided undecided
That same team had Ikpeba, Okocha and Kanu at full pelt. The attack was more fluid and the Naija team was super-balanced.
It was unfortunate the squad did not win the Cup of Nations that year.

No doubt 1994 was the best team. Amuneke and Finidi on both wings can never be surpassed. Westerhof said that those boys were so fit, there was no need for a second defensive midfielder alongside Oliseh. The amount of work that Finidi and Amuneke did both defensively and offensively meant that the defensive frailty of Okocha was nuanced. Not to mention that The Bull was pressing defenders so hard up the pitch, they couldn't venture forward to put pressure on our somewhat light central midfield.

1994 team had many liabilities abeg. . . . .Austin Eguavoen was a nuisance.
I cannot count the number of goals he got for opponents with his mis-timed tackles. Ike Okechukwu and Ben Iroha were classy though.
Stephen Keshi was anutha relic that didn't have to make the Tunisia 94 team.
They were good but they managed to win in Tunisia by a margin as thin as the skin of their teeth.
Kalusha's team gave em a run for their money in the final.
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by Hilundi: 9:02pm On Dec 16, 2008
Anytime i remember the USA team i weep 'uncoutrollably,but for inexperience and poor bench Nigeria would have gone all the way,
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by tkb417(m): 9:03pm On Dec 16, 2008
1994 team had many liabilities abeg. . . . .Austin Eguavoen was a nuisance.
I cannot count the number of goals he got for opponents with his mis-timed tackles. Ike Okechukwu and Ben Iroha were classy though.
Stephen Keshi was anutha relic that didn't have to make the Tunisia 94 team.
They were good but they managed to win in Tunisia by a margin as thin as the skin of their teeth.
Kalusha's team gave em a run for their money in the final.
yeah they managed to win in far away Tunisia while the 2000 team couldnt win at home!!
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by MrCrackles(m): 9:03pm On Dec 16, 2008
Hilundi:

Anytime i remember the USA team i weep 'uncoutrollably,but for inexperience and poor bench Nigeria would have gone all the way,

U still dey weep for USA'94 at your age? cheesy
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by PAPABOMBOY: 9:03pm On Dec 16, 2008
USA 94 team jare.

Una remember when George Finidi score goal, come run go corner begin act like sey im dey piss like dog---- grin grin grin.

where that WERE dey sef?
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by donciccio: 9:07pm On Dec 16, 2008
No painstaking that team was da' BOMB. Dino Zoff, Daniel Pasarella etc. wouldn't take a nap facing that team. All hail Super Eagles of USA "94"
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by dbaptist1(m): 9:44pm On Dec 16, 2008
guy abegiu make una file!!!!!!!!!! 4 usa '94 team
dem be d best
finidi was world best no 7 den
okocha was at his prime.,so was kanu,yekini and d rest of dem all
give it up for the, ,
DREAM TEAM USA'94 EAGLES D BEST EVER
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by akinalabi(m): 11:54pm On Dec 16, 2008
My best team is the 1980 squad even though I was quite young then.

I love the central defensive pairing of Christian Chukwu and Tunde
Bamidele. Muda Lawal was awesome in the holding midfield role and
we were flying in the wings. Felix Owolabi and Segun Odegbami were
impeccable.

Another reason why i liked that team was that anyone could pop up
and score. If you mark out Owolabi, Segun Odegbami would pop up
or even Muda Lawal like he did to get the 3rd goal in the finals against
Algeria.
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by akinalabi(m): 11:58pm On Dec 16, 2008
d-baptist:

guy abegiu make una file!!!!!!!!!! 4 usa '94 team
them be d best
finidi was world best no 7 den
[b]okocha was at his prime.,so was kanu,[/b]yekini and d rest of them all
give it up for the, ,
DREAM TEAM USA'94 EAGLES D BEST EVER

No chance.

Kanu did not even make the squad to both Tunisia and America. He made
his debut I think against Sweden before the world cup but he did not make
the squad.

Jay Jay was not super regular. I think he started only the Italy game at the
world cup.
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by debosky(m): 12:02am On Dec 17, 2008
I think he's a bit mixed up about the USA '94 side and the Atlanta (also USA) '96 side.

USA 94 was definitely the best in terms of discipline, footballing genius and team unity.

The 2000 team is arguably as good in terms of genius, and even better in talent I think, but lack of preparedness killed that side.
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by dree1: 12:15am On Dec 17, 2008
I 've always wish I lived (my youthful life n probably die) in Nigeria of d 1960s for so many reasons , And it will have been a bonus if the Super Eagles of USA 94 also existed then !

JUST A WISH, NIGERIA WILL SURELY BE GREAT AGAIN !

GOD BLESS NIGERIA!!
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by Sauron1: 12:18am On Dec 17, 2008
debosky:

The 2000 team is arguably as good in terms of genius, and even better in talent I think, but lack of preparedness killed that side.

This is your brilliant post ever. . . . . .
I thunk i was the only one that noticed the potentials in the 2000 team.
A lot of us get carried away with the trophy but if that 2000 team had been managed properly. . . .They wlda gone far in Japan/Korea.
It is still Nigeria's most balanced side. TJ Babangida, Olisheh, Kanu, Agahowa, Ikpeba, Babayaro.
Re: Which Super Eagles Team Is Your All-time Best? by JJYOU: 12:21am On Dec 17, 2008
does any one here remember anything about samco stars football club?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ex-Super Eagles Coach, Rohr Pens Three-Year Contract With Benin Republic / Osimhen, Oshoala, Ighalo, Boniface Nominated For Dubai Globe Soccer Awards / Amodu Shuaibu Returns As Eagle's Technical Director

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.