Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,640 members, 7,801,860 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:32 AM

Honda Accord 2007 (Manual Transmission Drive) Engine Oil Shortage - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Honda Accord 2007 (Manual Transmission Drive) Engine Oil Shortage (4179 Views)

5 Amazing Advantages Of Manual Transmission Vehicles You Never Knew / Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission / Cow Takes A Ride In Honda Accord 2007 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Honda Accord 2007 (Manual Transmission Drive) Engine Oil Shortage by Nobody: 4:43pm On Dec 31, 2014
Hello,
I used to be a volkswagen cry baby, but since i got my Honda accord...life has been bliss...
Anyway, ever since i got it nigerian used, i noted that after a month of driving, i always get an oil shortage and the oil gets very black after 2 months.
You see, i like driving very fast and maxing my gear before changing the manual gear, and unfortunately, the tachometer/ Rev counter calibration is faulty and i have to rely on engine sound to know when to change.
I have read about oil shortage on honda accords, and i hear its a factory error on some cars, and i should just top up.

What i want to know is what you honda aficionados think?
If i can switch my oil from 5w 20 to mobil 1??
If driving like a racer all the time can cause my oil level to drop and blacken more quickly
And just your opinions please.
Thank you
Re: Honda Accord 2007 (Manual Transmission Drive) Engine Oil Shortage by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:47pm On Dec 31, 2014
If it were me I would stop using 5w20 and go with heavier weighted oil like 20w50, that is if you are not ready to get a new engine.

Engine is burning oil, and the most likely culprits are your rings.

If you want to go all racer, y not get a V6? Your driving pattern does not make your oil blacken quickly, its worn out that's y you get the black oil on short mileage.
Re: Honda Accord 2007 (Manual Transmission Drive) Engine Oil Shortage by Nobody: 9:44pm On Dec 31, 2014
GAZZUZZ:
If it were me I would stop using 5w20 and go with heavier weighted oil like 20w50, that is if you are not ready to get a new engine.
Engine is burning oil, and the most likely culprits are your rings.
If you want to go all racer, y not get a V6? Your driving pattern does not make your oil blacken quickly, its worn out that's y you get the black oil on short mileage.
wait a minute...isnt 5w20 the same as xhp and 20w50??
I'm not ready to buy a new engine. and yes i will most likely buy a v6 with the next ride...i just need better clarity with the oil you mentioned
Re: Honda Accord 2007 (Manual Transmission Drive) Engine Oil Shortage by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:58pm On Dec 31, 2014
gmyguy:
wait a minute...isnt 5w20 the same as xhp and 20w50??
I'm not ready to buy a new engine. and yes i will most likely buy a v6 with the next ride...i just need better clarity with the oil you mentioned

Xhp is 5w20 mobil 1 comes in 5w30, and 0W40(which is more common). Xhp is mineral oil, while mobil 1 is synthetic.

1 Like

Re: Honda Accord 2007 (Manual Transmission Drive) Engine Oil Shortage by Nobody: 10:21pm On Dec 31, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Xhp is 5w20 mobil 1 comes in 5w30, and 0W40(which is more common). Xhp is mineral oil, while mobil 1 is synthetic.
so how do i get 20w50??...but note...i have a xhp here with me right now and it says 20w50
Re: Honda Accord 2007 (Manual Transmission Drive) Engine Oil Shortage by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:27pm On Dec 31, 2014
gmyguy:

so how do i get 20w50??...but note...i have a xhp here with me right now and it says 20w50

I guess you have been using. The wrong oil from the start, just stick with it, cause going synthetic will not help your current case.
Re: Honda Accord 2007 (Manual Transmission Drive) Engine Oil Shortage by Nobody: 10:31pm On Dec 31, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

I guess you have been using. The wrong oil from the start, just stick with it, cause going synthetic will not help your current case.
factory recommends 5w20, but only oil available here is 20w50...where can i get 5w20??
Re: Honda Accord 2007 (Manual Transmission Drive) Engine Oil Shortage by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:44pm On Dec 31, 2014
gmyguy:
factory recommends 5w20, but only oil available here is 20w50...where can i get 5w20??

Too late, when you get a new engine, or fix ur current engine then u can go synthetic. Search car talk, there's a thread dedicated to synthetic oil by chiebube.
Re: Honda Accord 2007 (Manual Transmission Drive) Engine Oil Shortage by Nobody: 11:21pm On Dec 31, 2014
is that oil grade available in lagos? 5w20. i haven't seen it around
Re: Honda Accord 2007 (Manual Transmission Drive) Engine Oil Shortage by abatically(m): 1:17am On Jan 01, 2015
gmyguy:
is that oil grade available in lagos? 5w20. i haven't seen it around

5w20 is available on konga

Re: Honda Accord 2007 (Manual Transmission Drive) Engine Oil Shortage by Nobody: 1:38am On Jan 01, 2015
abatically:

5w20 is available on konga
i think i should just switch the oil on my next change. i'll do some oil treatment to try to get most of the sludge in there out now. What do you think?
Re: Honda Accord 2007 (Manual Transmission Drive) Engine Oil Shortage by nurey(m): 9:00am On Jan 01, 2015
gmyguy:
i think i should just switch the oil on my next change. i'll do some oil treatment to try to get most of the sludge in there out now. What do you think?

What they are telling you is that the damage has already been done, using 5w20 now would cause increased oil shortage and you would need to be topping the oil continuously or regularly which may lead to engine failure if neglected.

What you need to do now is
1. Manage that engine like that
2. Find someone who can rebuild your engine
3. Buy a new engine and replace the old one
Re: Honda Accord 2007 (Manual Transmission Drive) Engine Oil Shortage by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jan 01, 2015
nurey:

What they are telling you is that the damage has already been done, using 5w20 now would cause increased oil shortage and you would need to be topping the oil continuously or regularly which may lead to engine failure if neglected.

What you need to do now is
1. Manage that engine like that
2. Find someone who can rebuild your engine
3. Buy a new engine and replace the old one
technically ...its more economical and very cheaper to keep topping one litre every month, than over hauling the entire engine. The car runs fine and no problems at all. I'd rather keep using it like this. My mechanic said he could check the seals and replace them for me, in 3/4 hours mechanic work. I just feel, the problems now are only wj=hat the eye sees...The mileage is just 100k miles now. I'd rather use the car for 1 to 2 more years and sell. It has a better re sale value than most european cars...i got it for 1mill...and am sure i can still sell for that or even more
Re: Honda Accord 2007 (Manual Transmission Drive) Engine Oil Shortage by nurey(m): 5:24pm On Jan 01, 2015
gmyguy:
technically ...its more economical and very cheaper to keep topping one litre every month, than over hauling the entire engine. The car runs fine and no problems at all. I'd rather keep using it like this. My mechanic said he could check the seals and replace them for me, in 3/4 hours mechanic work. I just feel, the problems now are only wj=hat the eye sees...The mileage is just 100k miles now. I'd rather use the car for 1 to 2 more years and sell. It has a better re sale value than most european cars...i got it for 1mill...and am sure i can still sell for that or even more

Managing that engine with the adherent problem will not let the engine last also reason why people stay away from Nigerian used vehicle after you have abused the car you will now sell it but do be truthful to the buyer what is wrong with the engine if you eventually decide to sell.

Also u bought it for 1m and you expect to sell it for same or even more a 03/05 EOD Nigerian used sells between 700k to 900k depending on trim and gadgets available auto transmission I wonder how much your manual trans would command in the market also adding the abused trim level. Lol
Re: Honda Accord 2007 (Manual Transmission Drive) Engine Oil Shortage by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jan 01, 2015
nurey:

Managing that engine with the adherent problem will not let the engine last also reason why people stay away from Nigerian used vehicle after you have abused the car you will now sell it but do be truthful to the buyer what is wrong with the engine if you eventually decide to sell.

Also u bought it for 1m and you expect to sell it for same or even more a 03/05 EOD Nigerian used sells between 700k to 900k depending on trim and gadgets available auto transmission I wonder how much your manual trans would command in the market also adding the abused trim level. Lol

i use an 07 accord, not 03 model. I got a good deal from a distressed seller. The car was worth more than that. I don't get all this engine talk you saying...Thats why its a used car, whether tokunbo or 9ja used. If i sell for 2Mill sef...anyone buying gotta know it'll come with some deficiency. I changed all the tires and got a new battery. This oil issue has been on, since i got the car in sept 2013. The car is a lot more reliable than my prev volkswagen. and thats why hondas and toyotas attract a high ridiculous re sale value. Its not being wicked...its a trend here in Nigeria. Am not saying i gonna sell for more than i got it. Am just trying to express my confidence in the value of the car
Re: Honda Accord 2007 (Manual Transmission Drive) Engine Oil Shortage by nurey(m): 9:07pm On Jan 01, 2015
gmyguy:
i use an 07 accord, not 03 model. I got a good deal from a distressed seller. The car was worth more than that. I don't get all this engine talk you saying...Thats why its a used car, whether tokunbo or 9ja used. If i sell for 2Mill sef...anyone buying gotta know it'll come with some deficiency. I changed all the tires and got a new battery. This oil issue has been on, since i got the car in sept 2013. The car is a lot more reliable than my prev volkswagen. and thats why hondas and toyotas attract a high ridiculous re sale value. Its not being wicked...its a trend here in Nigeria. Am not saying i gonna sell for more than i got it. Am just trying to express my confidence in the value of the car

Boss I am not trying to diss you a make you feel bad, you have asked for help and necessary information has been passed whether to use or ignore the info, that can only be answered by you alone, bros do the needful, Goodday sir.

1 Like

Re: Honda Accord 2007 (Manual Transmission Drive) Engine Oil Shortage by Nobody: 9:50pm On Jan 01, 2015
nurey:

Boss I am not trying to diss you a make you feel bad, you have asked for help and necessary information has been passed whether to use or ignore the info, that can only be answered by you alone, bros do the needful, Goodday sir.

Please, read what you said and let me know what input is useful in what you said...No offence taken, but its quite obvious its just a comment, of your opinion and no advice on type of oil or any issue that is relevant or useful to me. No offence, just it wasn't useful...

My bad, your first comment on point.
The 2nd comment nah just Simon Cowell
Re: Honda Accord 2007 (Manual Transmission Drive) Engine Oil Shortage by justcallbuki(f): 6:31pm On Jan 02, 2015
gmyguy:
Hello,
I used to be a volkswagen cry baby, but since i got my Honda accord...life has been bliss...
Anyway, ever since i got it nigerian used, i noted that after a month of driving, i always get an oil shortage and the oil gets very black after 2 months.
You see, i like driving very fast and maxing my gear before changing the manual gear, and unfortunately, the tachometer/ Rev counter calibration is faulty and i have to rely on engine sound to know when to change.
I have read about oil shortage on honda accords, and i hear its a factory error on some cars, and i should just top up.

What i want to know is what you honda aficionados think?
If i can switch my oil from 5w 20 to mobil 1??
If driving like a racer all the time can cause my oil level to drop and blacken more quickly
And just your opinions please.
Thank you
sorry guys,what is a manual transmission oil?
Re: Honda Accord 2007 (Manual Transmission Drive) Engine Oil Shortage by ZIMDRILL(m): 6:40pm On Jan 02, 2015
justcallbuki:
sorry guys,what is a manual transmission oil?

he is trying to say his car is manual shift
Re: Honda Accord 2007 (Manual Transmission Drive) Engine Oil Shortage by justcallbuki(f): 6:55pm On Jan 02, 2015
ZIMDRILL:

he is trying to say his car is manual shift
Thanks boss,that's d correction i wanna make cos all they av bn discussing is d engine oil.i wonder oo
Re: Honda Accord 2007 (Manual Transmission Drive) Engine Oil Shortage by chuka5000(m): 8:30am On Jan 03, 2015
Op doesn't know the difference between auto transmission oil, gear oil and engine oil and he's at the point of insulting the other guy who adviced him.
Re: Honda Accord 2007 (Manual Transmission Drive) Engine Oil Shortage by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:23am On Jan 03, 2015
chuka5000:
Op doesn't know the difference between auto transmission oil, gear oil and engine oil and he's at the point of insulting the other guy who adviced him.

i assume that gear oil you mean gearbox oil for a manual

so technically gear oil can be both gearbox oil but if one would say i want gear oil the next question is, is your car automatic or manual

from what i gather here its either people mention it straight by saying automatic transmission oil or AFT

but AFT or automatic transmission oil and gear oil (which i assume is used to describe gearbox oil for manual) are all gearbox oil
Re: Honda Accord 2007 (Manual Transmission Drive) Engine Oil Shortage by nas00(m): 4:21pm On Jan 04, 2015
chuka5000:

Bros eeeh!

Like the poster above me tried to point out, Automatic transmission fluid (ATF) is simply GEAR OIL meant for automatic gears. You didn't need to separate it from gear oil, as that broadly covers transmission fluid for both manual and automatic transmissions.

@gmyguy: Reduction of engine oil levels is a fairly common problem reported on most Honda Accord forums, with varying degrees of severity.
The ideal solution is to have your engine replaced by an OEM with warranty. This may be expensive, depending on your budget.
On the other hand, there is no harm in topping of your engine oil at regular intervals for the time being.

May God provide you the means for a 2014 or 2015 Accord this year cool

1 Like

Re: Honda Accord 2007 (Manual Transmission Drive) Engine Oil Shortage by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jan 04, 2015
chuka5000:
Oh sorry, i will modify my topic. I simply meant to say my honda accord is manual drive, not automatic drive.
Re: Honda Accord 2007 (Manual Transmission Drive) Engine Oil Shortage by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jan 04, 2015
nas00:

Bros eeeh!

Like the poster above me tried to point out, Automatic transmission fluid (ATF) is simply GEAR OIL meant for automatic gears. You didn't need to separate it from gear oil, as that broadly covers transmission fluid for both manual and automatic transmissions.

@gmyguy: Reduction of engine oil levels is a fairly common problem reported on most Honda Accord forums, with varying degrees of severity.
The ideal solution is to have your engine replaced by an OEM with warranty. This may be expensive, depending on your budget.
On the other hand, there is no harm in topping of your engine oil at regular intervals for the time being.

May God provide you the means for a 2014 or 2015 Accord this year cool

Yeah cool,
i did some oyinbo forum research too, and its what you said....there's cheaper and expensive routes. I'll go with the most convenient, which is the cheaper.
Like i said earlier. The car works like a pro...just my curiousity killing the cat, so the engine still feels like brand new. Recently washed the engine, and i think that kinda helped...wonder why
Re: Honda Accord 2007 (Manual Transmission Drive) Engine Oil Shortage by chuka5000(m): 6:05am On Jan 05, 2015
ZIMDRILL:

i assume that gear oil you mean gearbox oil for a manual

so technically gear oil can be both gearbox oil but if one would say i want gear oil the next question is, is your car automatic or manual

from what i gather here its either people mention it straight by saying automatic transmission oil or AFT

but AFT or automatic transmission oil and gear oil (which i assume is used to describe gearbox oil for manual) are all gearbox oil

ATF not aft
Re: Honda Accord 2007 (Manual Transmission Drive) Engine Oil Shortage by Bashino: 9:30am On Apr 01, 2015
Use a Mobil 1 oil, though the shortage would still persist. Just check regularly and top up when necessary. My Honda v6 2007 does same, there is nothing mechanics haven't told me. I was recently told its a normal thing in some Honda cars. To find out more, whenever you drain your oil, check the quantity that comes out, you would find out that their is enough oil in the engine, but for guage reason always top up when the guage indicate below. Give ur engine the best food and you would see its productivity.
Re: Honda Accord 2007 (Manual Transmission Drive) Engine Oil Shortage by Nobody: 7:35pm On Apr 03, 2015
Bashino:
Use a Mobil 1 oil, though the shortage would still persist. Just check regularly and top up when necessary. My Honda v6 2007 does same, there is nothing mechanics haven't told me. I was recently told its a normal thing in some Honda cars. To find out more, whenever you drain your oil, check the quantity that comes out, you would find out that their is enough oil in the engine, but for guage reason always top up when the guage indicate below. Give ur engine the best food and you would see its productivity.

love the honda v6...bet she drives fast

(1) (Reply)

My Experience While Learning To Drive / Matching Car Paint For My Car. / How Much Can I Get A Used Opel Calibra Engine?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.