Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,781 members, 7,802,418 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:02 PM

REVEALED: Jonathan’s Friends Aiding Buhari -by Suleiman Gaya - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / REVEALED: Jonathan’s Friends Aiding Buhari -by Suleiman Gaya (2541 Views)

Jonathan’s Friends Using Niger Delta Avengers To Destabilize Buhari’s Govt- MEND / Kano Youths Burn Gaya And Muhmud's Houses During Protest (Photos) / REVEALED: Jonathan's Friends Aiding Buhari To Win (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

REVEALED: Jonathan’s Friends Aiding Buhari -by Suleiman Gaya by Change2015(m): 12:13am On Jan 01, 2015
Nigeria’s presidential election is 46 days away. But one of the major tragedies facing the PDP candidate, incumbent President Goodluck Jonathan is that by their actions and overzealousness, many of his aides, friends and associates are doing a great disservice to him. Many of them still delude themselves that divisive utterances and manipulation of religion are going to serve as effective tools in 2015, as it did in 2011.

They do not seem to realise that Nigerians are now wiser, knowing very well that both Christians and Muslims bear the brunt of their leaders’ failings or incompetence. Muslims and Christians drive on the same bad Nigerian roads, buy from the same market, spend the same currency. There is no strong naira for Christians or weak one for Muslims.

Instead of presidential aides and associates of President Jonathan to market him as the leader that has made unprecedented strides in agriculture, or one that has enriched enrolment into basic schools from 23 million in 2010 to 29 million two years later, they are busy offending millions of northerners and Muslims and making them turn their backs on the President.

There are so many positives to market Jonathan with: In the first ever meeting I was privileged to have with the President in 2012, he felt offended when I told him, in response to a question he asked me, that I was an indigene of Kano State. He remarked that young men of my generation represent the best hope for this country, and that we should always look at ourselves first and foremost as Nigerians.

By invoking religion, trying desperately to paint General Muhammadu Buhari as a Muslim fundamentalist who is going to introduce Shari’a in all nooks and crannies of Nigeria, with a view to getting Christians to hate the man and vote against him, these supposed friends are making it look as if the President hasn’t achieved anything positive to market him with.

Chief Femi Fani-Kayode is a leader I hold in deep esteem. But I am getting more and more disappointed in him these days, owing to the way he goes about disparaging Islam in the way he hurls insults on Buhari, as well as abusing the Hausa-Fulani for the same reason. No Muslim worth the name, for example, will be happy with Fani-Kayode’s description of Buhari’s behaviour as belonging to the “6th century Saudi Arabia,” as he did in his article entitled: Questions Buhari Must Answer, published in his column in this newspaper on December 15th, instant.

Perhaps even worse is his quoting a pastor of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Bosun Emmanuel, whose sermon, as quoted by Fani-Kayode in his article entitled A word for Yemi Osinbajo, published on December 22nd, instant in this newspaper, as telling Christians not to have anything to do with Muslims. He quoted the pastor as saying, in his ‘famous sermon’ titled ‘The Nigerian Church’, that “woe be unto any believer who joins hands with the enemies of God in an attempt to bury the Church and destroy the gospel.”

He was, in that article, trying hard to paint the vice-presidential candidate of the APC, Professor Yemi Osinbajo, in dark light for accepting to play “second fiddle” to a man who is a “notorious troubler of the (Christian) faith.” He added an unfortunate clincher: “woe unto the children of light that secretly delight in darkness and that seek to thwart the counsel of God for their nation by joining hands with the sons of Boko and the daughters of Haram.”

I know the man is going to try to deny this or colour it in some other way, but the fact remains he has succeeded through these write-ups, among several others before then, to alienate Muslims and make them a subject of mockery by Christians. What the Fani-Kayode’s of this world don’t seem to know is that there are millions of Muslims out there that want to vote for Jonathan in the forthcoming presidential election, as they did in 2011.

Showing contempt for their religion could only make many of them change their minds. My senior colleague, Mr. Azubuike Ishiekwene, writing in his column, Conversation With Azu, published in Leadership newspaper of last Friday, quoted the Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria, a collection of the main conservative Christian churches, as planning a “52 weeks of all-round prayers for Nigeria,” which, very unfortunately, specifically includes praying to God “to upturn all plots by the All Progressives Congress if their hidden agenda is to Islamise Nigeria.”

The same group also wants God to “to purge corruption in the opposition,” conveniently ignoring the corrupt in government, whose actions are badly affecting tens of millions of downtrodden Christians, not just Muslims. But what do these people take their fellow Christian brethren for, people who cannot read between the lines and see this as a cheap, sad way of campaigning for President Jonathan? Do they think attacking Islam (though they hardly do so directly) is going to appeal to Muslims and make them re-elect the President? Can anyone between Jonathan and Buhari win the presidency with only the votes of members of his faith? We all know it isn’t possible for anyone, however powerful, to Islamise Nigeria, as falsely being peddled by some religious leaders.

But the consolation is that even among their flock, these leaders are fast losing respect, and it is the reason this time around, religion will not be manipulated to play such a significant factor in determining who wins next year’s presidential election. For me, a Hausa-Fulani Muslim, I feel very, very bad to see this going on as a campaign for any presidential candidate because many of us of my generation don’t even care whether the next president is a Christian or Muslim.

All we care about is the Nigerian leader that would deliver the goods – make this country a better place for all, irrespective of our diversity. And, I bet you, this belief is shared by the 75 percent of the Nigerian population that are under the age of 35, who are being denied legitimate opportunities just because they were not born with silver spoons in their mouths.

Similarly, it was totally uncouth for the PDP National Secretary to call General Buhari an illiterate jackboot, as he did lately, just because the man doesn’t hold a Ph.D, as Jonathan does. Does this man know that 80 percent of the over 67 million unemployed Nigerians (rated by the National Bureau of Statistics) do not have university degrees, and that he could incur their wraths by this reckless statement? And for those making the mistake of lumping all Muslim as Boko Haram, let them know that majority of us are guided by the Holy Qur’an and teachings of the great Prophet of universal peace and harmony, who freely told all Muslims, in a charter of privileges and rights he granted all Christians at Mount Sinai in 628 C.E., to fight for Christians.

He said, “the Christians are my citizens, and by Allah I hold out against anything that displeases them. No compulsion is to be on them. No one is to destroy a house of their religion, to damage it, or to carry anything from it to the Muslim’s houses.

The Muslims are to fight for Christians. Their churches must be respected. They are neither to be prevented from repairing them nor the sacredness of their covenants.” The Holy Prophet of Islam concluded the charter by directing all Muslims the worlds over to abide by this covenant till the Last Day (of judgement). A vast majority of those causing all sorts of trouble and drawbacks for this country are less than 3.5 percent of the population, those aged 65 and above, and many of them can be found around both Jonathan and Buhari, among Christians and Muslims.

The voices of Chief Tony Anenih (a Christian) and Alhaji Tanko Yakasai (a Muslim) were among the most hilarious in the effort to stop Jonathan from assuming the presidency in acting capacity in 2010 when President Yar’adua was terminally ill and the nation was tottering. Today, they are shockingly among the biggest beneficiaries and enforcers of the Jonathan Administration. In the same vein, one should not be surprised if Chief Edwin Clark or Asari Dakubo become kitchen cabinet members of a Buhari Administration.

It may sound impossible, but it is the way of our politicians. It is, therefore, up to such leaders of the young generation as Femi Fani- Kayode to lead in the crusade for peaceful, united Nigeria where Muslims and Christians have equal rights to prosper. In achieving that, they don’t have to lump up all Hausa-Fulanis and insult us as having the tendency of ‘born to rule’ or any such nomenclature. Personally, I don’t believe in it. It isn’t a workable idea. They should therefore tone down their divisive campaign. It is an evil wind that will blow no one no good, especially as Nigeria is bigger than both Jonathan and Buhari.

http://www.opinionnigeria.com/revealed-jonathan-s-friends-aiding-buhari-by-suleiman-gaya/

16 Likes

Re: REVEALED: Jonathan’s Friends Aiding Buhari -by Suleiman Gaya by Change2015(m): 12:15am On Jan 01, 2015
One of the more thoughtful commentaries on the election campaign so far.

4 Likes

Re: REVEALED: Jonathan’s Friends Aiding Buhari -by Suleiman Gaya by Change2015(m): 12:17am On Jan 01, 2015
People promoting ethnic or religious division are simply misguided and anti Nigeria.

7 Likes

Re: REVEALED: Jonathan’s Friends Aiding Buhari -by Suleiman Gaya by temitemi1(m): 12:27am On Jan 01, 2015
All these ur nonsense won't stop his coming back as d president of this Nation... GEJ till 2019!!!

4 Likes

Re: REVEALED: Jonathan’s Friends Aiding Buhari -by Suleiman Gaya by fagbalex(m): 12:36am On Jan 01, 2015
temitemi1:
All these ur nonsense won't stop his coming back as d president of this Nation... GEJ till 2019!!!

when will you get brain brother, remember this is 2015.

22 Likes

Re: REVEALED: Jonathan’s Friends Aiding Buhari -by Suleiman Gaya by brutef0rce101: 12:37am On Jan 01, 2015
The writer of this article is spot on. They have even makes it look like its a crime to be a Muslim, they are been bashed and ridiculed daily on this forum. I really feel for them, too bad.

10 Likes

Re: REVEALED: Jonathan’s Friends Aiding Buhari -by Suleiman Gaya by lacasa: 12:39am On Jan 01, 2015
temitemi1:

Na their type be dis ^^^ undecided

17 Likes

Re: REVEALED: Jonathan’s Friends Aiding Buhari -by Suleiman Gaya by brutef0rce101: 12:40am On Jan 01, 2015
temitemi1:

Little boy, You don't even care if that country burn to ashes, you are only after your pay. Religious war is not child's play, grow up and stop all this nonsense.

17 Likes

Re: REVEALED: Jonathan’s Friends Aiding Buhari -by Suleiman Gaya by yibomustgo(m): 12:47am On Jan 01, 2015
Change2015:
People YEEBOS promoting ethnic or religious division are simply misguided and anti Nigeria.

Yeebos are the one causing all these problems. Yeebos are the ones creating enemies for Jonathan. It is as simple as that.

7 Likes

Re: REVEALED: Jonathan’s Friends Aiding Buhari -by Suleiman Gaya by yibomustgo(m): 12:49am On Jan 01, 2015
brutef0rce101:

Little boy, You don't even care if that country burn to ashes, you are only after your pay. Religious war is not child's play, grow up and stop all this nonsense.

Yeebos are disparaging Islam because they hope this problems they are causing everywhere will eventually lead to war in Nigeria and eventually pave way for their BIAFRA.
Re: REVEALED: Jonathan’s Friends Aiding Buhari -by Suleiman Gaya by Change2015(m): 12:59am On Jan 01, 2015
yibomustgo:

Yeebos are the one causing all these problems. Yeebos are the ones creating enemies for Jonathan. It is as simple as that.

Fani Kayode is not. There are many people disturbing the peace of Nigeria instead of promoting the supposed good deeds of their candidate. And they are in every tribe, the small minded bigots.

4 Likes

Re: REVEALED: Jonathan’s Friends Aiding Buhari -by Suleiman Gaya by Change2015(m): 1:10am On Jan 01, 2015
People should marshal logic in their arguments. If gej has been such a great president, why are so many in every corner eager to see him out? What impact has he had on security, education, transport, employment etc. Even his supporters are hardly challenging the APC on the basis of what is in their manifesto, and they have produced no credible evidence to back their allegations against GMB only hoping that if they throw enough mud, something will stick. The issue based campaign the pdp insisted on has drowned in their flood of black propaganda. I am not interested in religion or ethnicity because neither pays my rent or feeds me. I want to see a Nigeria that is heading in a positive direction, and for all his mildness, Jonathan appears overwhelmed by his responsibilities.

6 Likes

Re: REVEALED: Jonathan’s Friends Aiding Buhari -by Suleiman Gaya by Unekz(m): 2:30am On Jan 01, 2015
sai buhari

6 Likes

Re: REVEALED: Jonathan’s Friends Aiding Buhari -by Suleiman Gaya by Eziachi: 2:52am On Jan 01, 2015
I have warned our people that character assassination of Buhari, Muslims and northerners is not smart and a complete disservice to Jonathan who planted this seed with aid of his public paid Josef Geobbels.

13 Likes

Re: REVEALED: Jonathan’s Friends Aiding Buhari -by Suleiman Gaya by Eziachi: 2:53am On Jan 01, 2015
temitemi1:
Here we go. Probably didn't even bother reading the article. grin grin grin

15 Likes

Re: REVEALED: Jonathan’s Friends Aiding Buhari -by Suleiman Gaya by raumdeuter: 2:54am On Jan 01, 2015
Eziachi:
I have warned our people that character assassination of Buhari, Muslims and northerners is not smart and a complete disservice to Jonathan who planted this seed with aid of his public paid Josef Geobbels.

This has actually had a negative effect and the level of hatred towards Jonathan as a result of these character assassination is unprecedented

Its when a President who has spent 6yrs on the throne has nothing to campaign on that he resorts to these tactics

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: REVEALED: Jonathan’s Friends Aiding Buhari -by Suleiman Gaya by Eziachi: 2:56am On Jan 01, 2015
yibomustgo:

Yeebos are disparaging Islam because they hope this problems they are causing everywhere will eventually lead to war in Nigeria and eventually pave way for their BIAFRA.
Igbos like Femi Fani Kayode, Reuben Abati, Doyin Okupe or Ayodele Fayose?

9 Likes

Re: REVEALED: Jonathan’s Friends Aiding Buhari -by Suleiman Gaya by Kororugged231: 3:35am On Jan 01, 2015
yibomustgo:

Bro, this is not about ibos alone ooo. We have many idiats like FFK, Okupe, Asari and co spreading hates words. Calling norths different names and ridiculing there religion. I dont know if Christian votes alone can make the clueless one come back. This religious card is going to backfire. Thats certain.

8 Likes

Re: REVEALED: Jonathan’s Friends Aiding Buhari -by Suleiman Gaya by sufido123: 3:54am On Jan 01, 2015
It is Buhari that scares the hell out of others with his calls for sharia. Tinubu has not helped matters by making sure that even in the liberal Yoruba enclave, the Muslim hold sway and are mostly in charge of Yorubaland.

Do not blame the messenger blame the message. That Apc flirted with Muslim/Muslim ticket did not even help matters.

2 Likes

Re: REVEALED: Jonathan’s Friends Aiding Buhari -by Suleiman Gaya by yibomustgo(m): 4:27am On Jan 01, 2015
[s]
sufido123:
It is Buhari that scares the hell out of others with his calls for sharia. Tinubu has not helped matters by making sure that even in the liberal Yoruba enclave, the Muslim hold sway and are mostly in charge of Yorubaland.

Do not blame the messenger blame the message. That Apc flirted with Muslim/Muslim ticket did not even help matters.
[/s]

6 Likes

Re: REVEALED: Jonathan’s Friends Aiding Buhari -by Suleiman Gaya by egift(m): 5:49am On Jan 01, 2015
Jonathan will not even know how he got defeated. The story of Jonathan Fall will be told many more years to come. Abati, Okupe and FFK will make fortune writing inside story of How Jonathan Fell.

Vote Buhari 2015 - God Bless Nigeria.

11 Likes

Re: REVEALED: Jonathan’s Friends Aiding Buhari -by Suleiman Gaya by reezee: 6:52am On Jan 01, 2015
Another bigot be like
sufido123:

2 Likes

Re: REVEALED: Jonathan’s Friends Aiding Buhari -by Suleiman Gaya by KriTic24A: 7:02am On Jan 01, 2015
brutef0rce101:

Bro, better don't bring yourself low to his abusive level. His next reply might be to abuse you.
Charity, they say begins at home. That is for those who have homes.

4 Likes

Re: REVEALED: Jonathan’s Friends Aiding Buhari -by Suleiman Gaya by Bootybuttchic(f): 7:06am On Jan 01, 2015
b
Re: REVEALED: Jonathan’s Friends Aiding Buhari -by Suleiman Gaya by agabaI23(m): 7:27am On Jan 01, 2015
Change2015:
People should marshal logic in their arguments. If gej has been such a great president, why are so many in every corner eager to see him out? What impact has he had on security, education, transport, employment etc. Even his supporters are hardly challenging the APC on the basis of what is in their manifesto, and they have produced no credible evidence to back their allegations against GMB only hoping that if they throw enough mud, something will stick. The issue based campaign the pdp insisted on has drowned in their flood of black propaganda. I am not interested in religion or ethnicity because neither pays my rent or feeds me. I want to see a Nigeria that is heading in a positive direction, and for all his mildness, Jonathan appears overwhelmed by his responsibilities.
Happy new year sir. Talking about issues based campaign, tell me where APC has campaigned with issues and not about cursing GEJ and PDP? I'm waiting. Let's talk
Re: REVEALED: Jonathan’s Friends Aiding Buhari -by Suleiman Gaya by Gbawe: 7:29am On Jan 01, 2015
yibomustgo:

Dude, this is a project in "business as usual" evil that cuts across all Nigerian ethnic groups, Femi Fani-Kayode is Yoruba and he is the most religiously bigoted of all the sycophantic supporters of GEJ. I am personally ashamed of him, Okupe, Abati, Mimiko and some others while the like of Fayose, Obanikoro, Adesiyan, Teslim Folarin et al are thugs and mercenaries who have always been 'guns for hire' to the highest bidder. This is a battle to liberate Nigeria from the tyranny of a rapacious elite made up of looters and unconscionable crooks from every ethnic group in our nation. Let us put aside the blame game and fight for the liberation of Nigeria and Nigerians. Happy new year.

7 Likes

Re: REVEALED: Jonathan’s Friends Aiding Buhari -by Suleiman Gaya by Change2015(m): 2:10pm On Jan 01, 2015
agabaI23:
Happy new year sir. Talking about issues based campaign, tell me where APC has campaigned with issues and not about cursing GEJ and PDP? I'm waiting. Let's talk

Let's say I'm not excited at the fact that some APC energy is being dissipated on responding to pdp comments. Even here... Now the pdp has a history of its candidate in government and no doubt a manifesto. The APC has its candidates and it's proposals for when in government. That we can talk about.
Re: REVEALED: Jonathan’s Friends Aiding Buhari -by Suleiman Gaya by omenka(m): 2:19pm On Jan 01, 2015

By invoking religion, trying desperately to paint
General Muhammadu Buhari as a Muslim
fundamentalist who is going to introduce Shari’a
in all nooks and crannies of Nigeria, with a view
to getting Christians to hate the man and vote
against him, these supposed friends are making
it look as if the President hasn’t achieved
anything positive to market him with.
Exactly what I've been trying to tell these guys!!

I hope the resident TANoidal trolls on Nairaland are reading this!!.

4 Likes

Re: REVEALED: Jonathan’s Friends Aiding Buhari -by Suleiman Gaya by Change2015(m): 2:28pm On Jan 01, 2015
sufido123:

You divisiveness is unworthy. For all the Muslim governors in the West do Christians feel threatened or bothered? Tinubus wife is a Christian, Fasholas wife is a Christian and he even drops her and the children at church. Nigerians are better than you think. As I live in lagos it is the best place for me and work. At least 40%of the West is Muslim. What is the problem, when we all live in peace and intermarry as we wish?

1 Like

Re: REVEALED: Jonathan’s Friends Aiding Buhari -by Suleiman Gaya by Change2015(m): 2:34pm On Jan 01, 2015
raumdeuter:

This has actually had a negative effect and the level of hatred towards Jonathan as a result of these character assassination is unprecedented

Its when a President who has spent 6yrs on the throne has nothing to campaign on that he resorts to these tactics

Then they wonder why drivers are unwilling to take their pdp vehicles to Kano from kaduna. This aspect of the campaign has been extremely distasteful, and there will be a price to pay.
Re: REVEALED: Jonathan’s Friends Aiding Buhari -by Suleiman Gaya by omenka(m): 2:42pm On Jan 01, 2015
I wish the mods can put this on the fp. This piece is so sensible.

Cc. Seun, Obinoscopy, Ishilove, Lalasticlala.
Re: REVEALED: Jonathan’s Friends Aiding Buhari -by Suleiman Gaya by Eziachi: 2:43pm On Jan 01, 2015
sufido123:

Flirted? Or that you wished that they produce a muslim ticket, then you have something to talk about?
How disappointed you must have felt when that didn't come to reality and now you call it a flirt. Who in their right mind will do that in a religious mad society like Nigeria?
Why didn't Jonathan flirt with a northern Christian?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Video: Jimi Agbaje - J.K Is Just Kidding. Jk Corner Store. A Must See Video. / Six Countries Turn Down Petroleum Minister Alison-Madueke’s Asylum Request / The Allegations Against The FCT Minister’s Sons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.