Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,437 members, 7,808,568 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:33 PM

Renewable Energy Is The Solution To Nigeria's Power Situation. - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Renewable Energy Is The Solution To Nigeria's Power Situation. (3813 Views)

3-day Renewable Energy Workshop In Abuja / HEAVY RAIN DOWNPOUR IN LAGOS: What Is The Situation Of Things In Your Area? / How my inverter is saving me in this poor power supply and no-fuel situation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Renewable Energy Is The Solution To Nigeria's Power Situation. by baba11(m): 11:26am On Jan 01, 2015
I'm opening this thread as an addendum to this:

https://www.nairaland.com/684167/inverter-users-lets-experience

As we all know, we have many of them in the range of:

solar
Inverter
Biogass
Biomass
Tidal waves
Wind energy
Small hydro electricity generation etc

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Renewable Energy Is The Solution To Nigeria's Power Situation. by baba11(m): 11:34am On Jan 01, 2015
My effort,experience and research so far reveal s that people shy away from using it due to initial cost it entails and lack of adequate awareness.....

The most used in Nigeria is solar and inverter energy solutions. The former is peculiar to northern part of the country while the latter is being used through out the whole federation including north.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Renewable Energy Is The Solution To Nigeria's Power Situation. by baba11(m): 11:38am On Jan 01, 2015
I think to really solve the electricity sorry state,government needs to active take part and gives necessary support to what and whom it's due for.

Your view are highly welcome and appreciated my fellow nairalanders......

CC:
israel7732
kiekie1
sleekman
richmon74
Zeestone99
c0ogumo
Re: Renewable Energy Is The Solution To Nigeria's Power Situation. by c0ogumo(m): 3:41am On Jan 02, 2015
I agree with you baba11.
Some people are aware of Renewable Energy and some are not. Some of the people that are aware do not believe that its the solution to our power situation due to the failure of our solar street lights. The failure is due to bad design and using cheap materials in order for the contractor to make more profit.
You can start your Solar Home installation for as little as N300K and add to it later as the money becomes available. This will not sustain you for 24hrs but will at last make a difference.

Whatsapp: 973-204-1296
BBM PIN: 79395A2D
Email: info@solardepotng.com
Re: Renewable Energy Is The Solution To Nigeria's Power Situation. by sleekman(m): 7:06am On Jan 02, 2015
Renewable energy is still quite expensive and a little inefficient. Govt would prefer bringing in generators than ba3s, solar panels and inverters cos fuel must be sold and forex outflow checked. Solar power manufacturers must be encouraged 2 setup shop here. They should encourage vertical integration in this sector just as they are doing in d car and sugar industries
Re: Renewable Energy Is The Solution To Nigeria's Power Situation. by acorntree(m): 8:14am On Jan 02, 2015
baba11:
I'm opening this thread as an addendum to this:

https://www.nairaland.com/684167/inverter-users-lets-experience

As we all know, we have many of them in the range of:

solar
Inverter
Biogass
Biomass
Tidal waves
Wind energy
Small hydro electricity generation etc
Of all these means of generating electricity only the solar technology is efficient and reliable. Note: because of the high cost of procuring solar panels + inverter + batteries+others assesories, you can only use it as a backup. So one still need a stable means of electricity which only the government can provide. Such kind of power generation can only be achieved through building dams, nuclear power technology, gas power, or any other system using a replaceable source of energy which can easily be replenished. And these technology are beyond individual.
A kilowatt of electricity is costly to generate. What we pay to NEPA is subsidized. Individual power generation either through solar or any other technology is not the best solution to power problem. Bulk generation is the only workable solution just like mass production. It will be cheaper in the long run, and easy to maintain. A company generate electricity from solar farm (in kw) then distributes to individual.
Re: Renewable Energy Is The Solution To Nigeria's Power Situation. by paranorman(m): 10:29am On Jan 02, 2015
acorntree:

Of all these means of generating electricity only the solar technology is efficient and reliable. Note: because of the high cost of procuring solar panels + inverter + batteries+others assesories, you can only use it as a backup. So one still need a stable means of electricity which only the government can provide. Such kind of power generation can only be achieved through building dams, nuclear power technology, gas power, or any other system using a replaceable source of energy which can easily be replenished. And these technology are beyond individual.
A kilowatt of electricity is costly to generate. What we pay to NEPA is subsidized. Individual power generation either through solar or any other technology is not the best solution to power problem. Bulk generation is the only workable solution just like mass production. It will be cheaper in the long run, and easy to maintain. A company generate electricity from solar farm (in kw) then distributes to individual.
well written. The prob of this country is bad leadership, no futuristic plans and we are so not proactive.. We'v got gas and oil dont we? So why can't we just utilize this gold we got here and lets see the results. Just imagine us; one of the top ten oil producers have non effcient refineries and extensive gas lines ?! Just take a look at brazil, they are energy independent!
Our government is a burden on us, sorry to say..
Re: Renewable Energy Is The Solution To Nigeria's Power Situation. by baba11(m): 11:24pm On Jan 02, 2015
c0ogumo:
I agree with you baba11.
Some people are aware of Renewable Energy and some are not. Some of the people that are aware do not believe that its the solution to our power situation due to the failure of our solar street lights. The failure is due to bad design and using cheap materials in order for the contractor to make more profit.
You can start your Solar Home installation for as little as N300K and add to it later as the money becomes available. This will not sustain you for 24hrs but will at last make a difference.

Whatsapp: 973-204-1296
BBM PIN: 79395A2D
Email: info@solardepotng.com
Mind you,i am a fellow engineer in the field like you,whatever,i will add you up to share ideas about our work.Back to your comment:I can infer that people generally are skeptical about the whole stuff i.e they fear to use it since there's not much awareness and also,the initial costs drive them away.Most middle class men cannot afford it let alone lower class men but rich men do due to economic situation in the country.So ones need to keep up with the pace and use original materials for integrity sake!!!
Re: Renewable Energy Is The Solution To Nigeria's Power Situation. by baba11(m): 11:43pm On Jan 02, 2015
sleekman:
Renewable energy is still quite expensive and a little inefficient. Govt would prefer bringing in generators than ba3s, solar panels and inverters cos fuel must be sold and forex outflow checked. Solar power manufacturers must be encouraged 2 setup shop here. They should encourage vertical integration in this sector just as they are doing in d car and sugar industries
I support you wholeheartedly but can't we think of settling up others apart from solar and inverters. I remember ed some years back I wanted training and information on biogass and biomass, I couldn't get any.We engineers have to think strategically in invention and innovation to upgrade our country through settling up any of these;supplying it to the national grid and making cool money grin
sleekman:
I support you wholeheartedly but can't we think of settling up others apart from solar and inverters. I remember ed some years back I wanted training and information on biogass and biomass, I couldn't get any.We engineers have to think strategically in invention and innovation to upgrade our country through settling up any of these;supplying it to the national grid and making cool money grin
sleekman:
sleekman:
sleekman:
sleekman:
sleekman:
sleekman:
I support you wholeheartedly but can't we think of settling up others apart from solar and inverters. I remember ed some years back I wanted training and information on biogass and biomass, I couldn't get any.We engineers have to think strategically in invention and innovation to upgrade our country through settling up any of these;supplying it to the national grid and making cool money.....Lol...Small hydro power generation is the most viable option here!!!!!
Re: Renewable Energy Is The Solution To Nigeria's Power Situation. by baba11(m): 12:07am On Jan 03, 2015
acorntree:

I beg to differ on these.Solar energy is not that reliable and most of the time it fails at short interval.We have to start thinking on other types nay solar. Inverter is Okay in as much as you don't overload it;not overused or using inferior /substandard materials but it will be very daft to supply inverter to the national grid using this approach .Why?You are taking and giving back to IT ...A kilowatt of electricity is expensive and Nigerian s are wastage When it comes to energy,but relying on general harnessing of them not single out any is the KEY!!!!!
Re: Renewable Energy Is The Solution To Nigeria's Power Situation. by baba11(m): 12:09am On Jan 03, 2015
paranorman:

well written. The prob of this country is bad leadership, no futuristic plans and we are so not proactive.. We'v got gas and oil dont we? So why can't we just utilize this gold we got here and lets see the results. Just imagine us; one of the top ten oil producers have non effcient refineries and extensive gas lines ?! Just take a look at brazil, they are energy independent!
Our government is a burden on us, sorry to say..
hmmmm..that's why there must be a change...
Re: Renewable Energy Is The Solution To Nigeria's Power Situation. by sleekman(m): 8:04am On Jan 03, 2015
Who says solar is d most efficient? Where will natural gas go? Why do u think almost all d developed world is going 4 natural gas? Its most cost effective, efficient and reliable.
Re: Renewable Energy Is The Solution To Nigeria's Power Situation. by sleekman(m): 8:10am On Jan 03, 2015
baba11:

Some of our engineers are lazy while some are looking out 4 security(economic). The govt can perhaps start by establishing and changing patenting laws in d country. People with ideas will rather travel out of d country 2 setup shop for this singular reason.
Re: Renewable Energy Is The Solution To Nigeria's Power Situation. by sleekman(m): 8:14am On Jan 03, 2015
baba11:

Some of our engineers are lazy while some are looking out 4 security(economic). The govt can perhaps start by establishing and changing patenting laws in d country. People with ideas will rather travel out of d country 2 setup shop for this singular reason. In some other countries some people don't look 4 jobs. They just think and innovate. They get paid 2 release the next big idea. The policy of continuously purchasing firearms outside d country when in fact we can create jobs here in d country through innovation. So in essence lots of policies on d macro level have 2 change and on d micro level a body created 2 safeguard independent innovators.
Re: Renewable Energy Is The Solution To Nigeria's Power Situation. by baba11(m): 8:55am On Jan 03, 2015
sleekman:
Some of our engineers are lazy while some are looking out 4 security(economic). The govt can perhaps start by establishing and changing patenting laws in d country. People with ideas will rather travel out of d country 2 setup shop for this singular reason.
I support you and these are the major challenges we face in our country.How do one dissuade an engineer from working in a bank and other non-engineering based sector when there's no alternative for us.I believe we can make change to this status quo in our own little way!
Re: Renewable Energy Is The Solution To Nigeria's Power Situation. by sleekman(m): 6:26pm On Jan 03, 2015
baba11:
I support you and these are the major challenges we face in our country.How do one dissuade an engineer from working in a bank and other non-engineering based sector when there's no alternative for us.I believe we can make change to this status quo in our own little way!
Yes we can. In most developed countries people that start out in technological/innovative entrepreneurship started with paid employment and with their salaries start producing things in their backyard. Once they are confident they can get a market 4 a product and fashion out a way 2 produce such a product @ a profit then they go 4 patenting and then find a way 2 source capital. There are special banks and venture capitalists always ready 2 finance a profitable product/idea.
The idea should be get a good paying job, save and then use savings 2 start inventing a product. For instance, literate welders and engineers should be able 2 team up 2geda and build machines currently being imported into this country. Rather what we have is when someone gets a good paying job they don't want 2 take any risks so they buy cars, houses, designer clothes etc. Instead of fetching ideas 4rm d net and redesigning and re-applying these 4d local environment.
Re: Renewable Energy Is The Solution To Nigeria's Power Situation. by zeestone99(m): 8:07pm On Jan 03, 2015
I don't think renewable energies re unreliable, they re very reliable but expensive nd not affordable to d common man, one problem with dis country is we lack proper orientation, we waste energy because we r so used 2 it nd no one is takin it serious, wen i was in sch my lecturer was lecturing on a course titled energy nd all d whole light bulb was switched on in d afternoon, datz vewi wrong....
Wen using renewable energy we v to save energy, datz y wen I install inverters 4 my clients I mk load seperation mandatory, using generators causes more harm Dan good in our environment n I tink we all knw dat, frm greenhouse gasses to ozone layer blablabla.... Since our govt is nt ready to provide power due to dier selfish reasons , renewable energy is our only source of clean energy, wht we shud pray 4 is d price reduces alongside tech advancement
Re: Renewable Energy Is The Solution To Nigeria's Power Situation. by solarcel: 12:14am On Jan 04, 2015
When we say renewable energies like solar power are very expensive today, then what would we have said about their cost 10 - 20 years ago. The fact is that solar discussions is gaining popularity because the product is fast gaining wide acceptance. What may have led to this sudden change?

For one thing, recent trends shows that the prices of solar power cost has dropped drastically. Take for instance the cost of a solar panel in Nigeria as at 2006 and compare with the present price, you'll see that it's 2 times higher by then. The same applies to all other components of a solar system. No doubt, those of us who have used qualitative solar power system for years knows that it is cost-effective and reliable than the traditional petrol generators.

You'll find out that many Nigerians can afford to fuel their generators with 4 liters or more daily, but before they realize it they have spent over N230,000 by the end of the year. Little did they know, that a complete starter solar package can be purchased with a lesser amount, with the capacity to power most appliances in the home and with several years of free and green electricity. Check the following link to see how some Nigerians have saved 79% from generator fuel costs.http://www.solarcel.com.ng/?page_id=400.

That doesn't mean I don't identify with those who tag solar power system to be expensive, because I think they are referring to the upfront cost. The facts still remains that solar power systems are the most affordable and reliable. But then, how can the average Nigerian benefit from this power solution without staking all he has. This is a challenge that the public and/or private sector has to address as soon as possible. How?
Let's take a cue from another high-cost good - a brand new car. Why is it easier for most persons to own one in the developed world but very tasking to own one in the developing countries like Nigeria. The answer is simple. Their system of consumer purchase have been 'financially treated'. So people buy and pay at their own pace and this gives room for them to upgrade or replace items whenever suitable. Some companies America, Germany and UK are now offering financing options for solar power systems.

I guess if we had a developed 'fairly used' solar materials market, then many Nigerians would own a solar generator the same way we have patronized the market for 'fairly used cars'. However, there seems to be a way out for the average Nigerian. Some local solar companies are now offering financing options to make the solution more affordable. For example, Solarcel generators http://www.solarcel.com.ng/accepts a free trial, 20% deposit, 6 months instalment and one of the most affordable prices in the market.

In summary, maybe we should request reviews from those who have used qualitative solar solutions over the years to provide us with their experience and how they have benefited over the years.

Smith O. - http://www.solarcel.com.ng/
Re: Renewable Energy Is The Solution To Nigeria's Power Situation. by baba11(m): 11:26am On Jan 04, 2015
sleekman:
Who says solar is d most efficient? Where will natural gas go? Why do u think almost all d developed world is going 4 natural gas? Its most cost effective, efficient and reliable.
Does natural gas has high output yield?
Re: Renewable Energy Is The Solution To Nigeria's Power Situation. by baba11(m): 11:34am On Jan 04, 2015
zeestone99:
I don't think renewable energies re unreliable, they re very reliable but expensive nd not affordable to d common man, one problem with dis country is we lack proper orientation, we waste energy because we r so used 2 it nd no one is takin it serious, wen i was in sch my lecturer was lecturing on a course titled energy nd all d whole light bulb was switched on in d afternoon, datz vewi wrong....
Wen using renewable energy we v to save energy, datz y wen I install inverters 4 my clients I mk load seperation mandatory, using generators causes more harm Dan good in our environment n I tink we all knw dat, frm greenhouse gasses to ozone layer blablabla.... Since our govt is nt ready to provide power due to dier selfish reasons , renewable energy is our only source of clean energy, wht we shud pray 4 is d price reduces alongside tech advancement
Good to know that you are an installer like me.I'll need to add u up inorder to rub mind together!!!
Re: Renewable Energy Is The Solution To Nigeria's Power Situation. by baba11(m): 11:36am On Jan 04, 2015
sleekman:
Yes we can. In most developed countries people that start out in technological/innovative entrepreneurship started with paid employment and with their salaries start producing things in their backyard. Once they are confident they can get a market 4 a product and fashion out a way 2 produce such a product @ a profit then they go 4 patenting and then find a way 2 source capital. There are special banks and venture capitalists always ready 2 finance a profitable product/idea.
The idea should be get a good paying job, save and then use savings 2 start inventing a product. For instance, literate welders and engineers should be able 2 team up 2geda and build machines currently being imported into this country. Rather what we have is when someone gets a good paying job they don't want 2 take any risks so they buy cars, houses, designer clothes etc. Instead of fetching ideas 4rm d net and redesigning and re-applying these 4d local environment.
Are you ready to team up with me?
Re: Renewable Energy Is The Solution To Nigeria's Power Situation. by Drmaverick: 1:57pm On Jan 04, 2015
11 Phones To Watch Out for in 2015 - Part 1
In technology can only go one place...UP. Latest improvements are abound, processors are at blistering speed ,cameras are at eagle eye quality and cost...well,can only go one place...UP...lol.

No hope in sight yet for Blackberry as their products are not on my list(sorry to BB users,myself included) so without furthermore ado I give you the phone to watch out for in 2015....not in any particular order shaaa.

Samsung Galaxy S6-If you're a Samsung fan but would rather stick to a phone than a phablet then the S6 will be just what you're looking for. Samsung's finally expected to tackle the plastic build quality criticism that its S-series handsets have received, using an all-metal design in line with that of the Galaxy Alpha.

complete article: http://targetdex..com/2015/01/11-phones-to-watch-out-for-in-2015-part.html

Re: Renewable Energy Is The Solution To Nigeria's Power Situation. by solarcel: 3:35pm On Jan 04, 2015
When we say renewable energies like solar power are very expensive today, then what would we have said about their cost 10 - 20 years ago. The fact is that solar discussions is gaining popularity because the product is fast gaining wide acceptance. What may have led to this sudden change?

For one thing, recent trends shows that the prices of solar power cost has dropped drastically. Take for instance the cost of a solar panel in Nigeria as at 2006 and compare with the present price, you'll see that it's 2 times higher by then. The same applies to all other components of a solar system. No doubt, those of us who have used qualitative solar power system for years knows that it is cost-effective and reliable than the traditional petrol generators.

You'll find out that many Nigerians can afford to fuel their generators with 4 liters or more daily, but before they realize it they have spent over N230,000 by the end of the year. Little did they know, that a complete starter solar package can be purchased with a lesser amount, with the capacity to power most appliances in the home and with several years of free and green electricity. Check the following link to see how some Nigerians have saved 79% from generator fuel costs.http://www.solarcel.com.ng/?page_id=400.

That doesn't mean I don't identify with those who tag solar power system to be expensive, because I think they are referring to the upfront cost. The facts still remains that solar power systems are the most affordable and reliable. But then, how can the average Nigerian benefit from this power solution without staking all he has. This is a challenge that the public and/or private sector has to address as soon as possible. How?
Let's take a cue from another high-cost good - a brand new car. Why is it easier for most persons to own one in the developed world but very tasking to own one in the developing countries like Nigeria. The answer is simple. Their system of consumer purchase have been 'financially treated'. So people buy and pay at their own pace and this gives room for them to upgrade or replace items whenever suitable. Some companies America, Germany and UK are now offering financing options for solar power systems.

I guess if we had a developed 'fairly used' solar materials market, then many Nigerians would own a solar generator the same way we have patronized the market for 'fairly used cars'. However, there seems to be a way out for the average Nigerian. Some local solar companies are now offering financing options to make the solution more affordable. For example, Solarcel generators http://www.solarcel.com.ng/accepts a free trial, 20% deposit, 6 months instalment and one of the most affordable prices in the market.

In summary, maybe we should request reviews from those who have used qualitative solar solutions over the years to provide us with their experience and how they have benefited over the years.
Re: Renewable Energy Is The Solution To Nigeria's Power Situation. by zeestone99(m): 6:58pm On Jan 04, 2015
baba11:

Add me on watapp 08184171193... Letz rub minds
Re: Renewable Energy Is The Solution To Nigeria's Power Situation. by baba11(m): 8:27pm On Jan 04, 2015
zeestone99:

Add me on watapp 08184171193... Letz rub minds
I will do that but Let's wait for others to signify interest first.I believe with proper orientation, we can move mountain. We should stop cohibiting the stereotypes of 'govt will do it'.We too can make do with resources at our disposal. Someone like me, I'm so passionate about renewable energy and I believe this is high time to wake from slumber and make do with our experience and exposure. . Anybody else Who wants to be in our team should signify interest ASAP.
Re: Renewable Energy Is The Solution To Nigeria's Power Situation. by sleekman(m): 9:59pm On Jan 04, 2015
baba11:

Does natural gas has high output yield?
Natural gas has d highest output yield in d market.
Re: Renewable Energy Is The Solution To Nigeria's Power Situation. by sleekman(m): 10:02pm On Jan 04, 2015
baba11:

what are we teaming up for? What's ur idea/product and specialty?
Re: Renewable Energy Is The Solution To Nigeria's Power Situation. by baba11(m): 10:16pm On Jan 04, 2015
sleekman:
what are we teaming up for? What's ur idea/product and specialty?
Well, I want us to rubb minds,besides,we can put up something due to our team work like generation of electricity through non conventional method and probably,relaying part of it into the national grid whereas we too can generate money without Waiting for the government for job or assist. Mind you,we have several untapped means of generating electricity and I believe this is a goldmine if we ain't lazy with what we are capable of doing!
Re: Renewable Energy Is The Solution To Nigeria's Power Situation. by baba11(m): 10:26pm On Jan 04, 2015
sleekman:
Natural gas has d highest output yield in d market.
Expatiate please! Are you referring to methane like gas that can be got from the waste bin.You have to know that renewable energy has to be continous ,I mean the input supply must not be easily used up. Newly found jatropha oil can also be considered Though I don't know the classification I need to give it.We need LIKE MINDS, that's Why I want us to team up Through online platform .
Maybe later on,we can come in real to put our ideas into practical stuff. I believe we can do it with right structure on ground. I BELIEVE!
Re: Renewable Energy Is The Solution To Nigeria's Power Situation. by sleekman(m): 11:08pm On Jan 04, 2015
baba11:

Well, I want us to rubb minds,besides,we can put up something due to our team work like generation of electricity through non conventional method and probably,relaying part of it into the national grid whereas we too can generate money without Waiting for the government for job or assist. Mind you,we have several untapped means of generating electricity and I believe this is a goldmine if we ain't lazy with what we are capable of doing!

I'm not particularly focused on a particular method of generating electricity. I'm more for efficiency and cost effectiveness. For instance, I believe we can install a thousand 10MW power generators in different rivers across the country. This saves forex, cost effective and efficient. I also have an idea I'm exploring that I intend 2 sell 2d FG. All I can say 4 now is that it involves d adoption of a smart grid system.

1 Like

Re: Renewable Energy Is The Solution To Nigeria's Power Situation. by sleekman(m): 11:09pm On Jan 04, 2015
baba11:

(1) (2) (Reply)

Starting My Very Own Soap Making PLANT. 16 September, 2018 / Embryo Created From One Man And Two Women! / Www.viber.com Sign Up,viber Login And Viber Download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.