Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,439 members, 7,808,572 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:36 PM

Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes (16762 Views)

How To Apply False Eyelashes Properly / See How To Grow Your Eyelashes Longer Here / Fake Hair, Fake Nails, Fake Eyelashes, (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes by bustyhelen(f): 1:35pm On Jan 02, 2015
Some optometrists have advised women against indiscriminate use of artificial eyelashes during the festive period to avoid damage to the cornea.

The optometrists, in separate interviews with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Lagos, also advised women to patronize experts, if they must wear the lashes.

NAN reports that the use of eye lashes has taken root in the Nigerian fashion scene, especially during festive periods.

A Consultant Optometrist, Eniola Ajayi, said: “If one must wear eye lashes, you have to follow the laid down procedures as approved by professional anesthesiologists”.

Ajayi said that the laceration of the cornea could cause a scar and in turn impair vision.

“The issues lie with the technical fixing of the lashes, which can affect the front cover of the eye, the cornea.

“It is a transparent tissue and if anything causes it to lacerate, that is, cut or bruise, and it fails to heal well, it will cause a scar which will affect vision in terms of clarity.

“If in the process of fixing the lashes, proper hygienic measures are not taken, infections can occur.

“The physical attributes of the lash, if not properly fixed, that is, if it is not correctly turned up, can begin to abrade the eye causing an erosion of the cornea over time,” Ajayi said.

Another consultant optometrist, Susu Enang, expressed concern over the use of super glue to stick the lashes.

“Although, I don’t have the authority to say people should not use these artificial lashes, I advocate sticking it with the natural ones.

“People come to my clinic with complaints associated with injuries sustained from the use of artificial lashes.

“I have a patient whose cornea suffered burns when super glue accidentally got into her eye.

“When these artificial lashes are fixed by a non professional, it can turn inward and abrade the cornea.

“Also, when glue is applied on the eye lid margin, it blocks the sebaceous glands that secrete oil to moisturise the eye.

“It consequently denies the eye of the antibiotic properties it provides, resulting in infection of the eyelid and the sebaceous glands itself.

“Interestingly, artificial lashes create room for infections because people who wear these lashes do not wash their eyes well, and also when the lashes fall out, dust and bacteria will accumulate around the eyes,” Enang said.

Speaking on the issue, Sandra Aigbe, said that glue contains chemicals like formaldehyde, which could have adverse effect on the eyes.

“Glue can cause allergic reactions causing stinging, burning, swelling and rashes.

“The use of super glue is just wrong, It can also result in temporary and permanent loss of natural lashes.”

She further advised women to be wary of using artificial lashes if there was any form of discomfort in the eye.

“Avoid fixing lashes if you have any eye infection or disease,” she said.

http://www.bellanaija.com/2015/01/02/optometrists-advise-women-against-indiscriminate-use-of-artificial-eyelashes/

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jan 02, 2015
Artificial Men fall inluv wid Artifical Women

12 Likes

Re: Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes by jerryunit48: 4:11pm On Jan 02, 2015
Chai
Re: Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes by ceo4eva: 4:11pm On Jan 02, 2015
Partial Blindness
Re: Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes by jingh(f): 4:12pm On Jan 02, 2015
artificial eye lashes ?

I can't let someone bring something close to my eyes all in d name of fashion.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes by lilbazy(m): 4:12pm On Jan 02, 2015
The eyelashes dey fit some girls...some there face go be like who lost $4.7m for agege park.

12 Likes

Re: Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes by kenp20(m): 4:12pm On Jan 02, 2015
ladies killing themselves with fake eye lashes since 19bc
Re: Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes by Jostico: 4:12pm On Jan 02, 2015
according to them,dem say na beauty....i nor know
Re: Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes by loomer: 4:12pm On Jan 02, 2015
NA WA O
Re: Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes by Lagusta(m): 4:12pm On Jan 02, 2015
I love optometrists....... smiley

But how can one babe put super glue on her eye just because she wants to fix lashes

When you were given cute natural lashes, you decided to reject them and go blind... undecided

Issokkaaayyu embarassed

1 Like

Re: Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes by Vikkie14: 4:13pm On Jan 02, 2015
grin Super Glue keh??grin imagine the damage a small drop of super glue will cause if it accidentally drops inside the eyes---all because of "looking like a calabash masquerades". Well, as the first poster has said, "ONLY FAKE/ARTIFICIAL MAN WILL MARRY AN ARTIFICIAL/FAKE WOMAN".

I wonder the kind "beauty" they are drooling for that God hasn't created in them---yeah. If God wanted you to be a goddess(like most of them want), he would have made you that way---or are you the one that told God to inscribe the "Lines" on your palm??.

Fake girls/women, fake Eyelashes. Hey! Am not being hard on you ladies ooo, just saying my opinion though.

I DONT WANT ANYTHING FAKE!!! gringringrin

5 Likes

Re: Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes by santana45: 4:13pm On Jan 02, 2015
Women and quest for beauty. They should heed the advice.
Re: Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes by datguru: 4:13pm On Jan 02, 2015
Bitchessss won't stop been bitchessss
Re: Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes by dmjinc(m): 4:13pm On Jan 02, 2015
Noted undecided

1 Like

Re: Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes by youngjulious: 4:13pm On Jan 02, 2015
Una don hear stop am we de dey look like winch
Re: Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes by Akposy(m): 4:14pm On Jan 02, 2015
Those stupid eyelashes makes dem look like winch especially d colour ones.
Abeg wen boys own go come out?
Re: Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes by freshness2020: 4:15pm On Jan 02, 2015
..a 45 year old naija lady be like; I just wanna keep Barbie's legacy on!
Like seriously?

1 Like

Re: Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes by kenp20(m): 4:15pm On Jan 02, 2015
ladies make una hear ooo, artificial eye lashes is equal to partial blindness

1 Like

Re: Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes by Wendyslim(f): 4:15pm On Jan 02, 2015
It makes dem look like a dull baby. Dir is nothing like bin natural jare
Re: Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes by mustahagreens(f): 4:15pm On Jan 02, 2015
artificial claws, yansh and breast...women are funny

1 Like

Re: Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jan 02, 2015
Whom exactly are they warning,is it the average Nigerian gurl that doesn't heed to advice ¿

1 Like

Re: Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes by Precious91(m): 4:16pm On Jan 02, 2015
Men:always going simple.
Re: Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes by dhardline(m): 4:17pm On Jan 02, 2015
The way some of this eye lashes look ehh,i feel if the lady blinks fast enough she might just start flying.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes by DAVE5(m): 4:18pm On Jan 02, 2015
nothing is more appalling to me as much as dat artificial eyelash trash

1 Like

Re: Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes by qualified(f): 4:18pm On Jan 02, 2015
I have never used it.

Don't think I will ever need it. Same with those cosmeticccontact lenses.
Re: Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes by musicwriter(m): 4:18pm On Jan 02, 2015
There's no need for that really.
Re: Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes by humnsikan: 4:19pm On Jan 02, 2015
Why can't ladies just try to moderate their make-ups. Maybe we need Grandpa Buhari as president so that hijab will be compulsory for all of them.
Re: Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes by obicute007(m): 4:19pm On Jan 02, 2015
embarassed #Isallright
Re: Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jan 02, 2015
Very disgusting
Re: Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes by TCD: 4:20pm On Jan 02, 2015
Consultant optometrists or opthalmologists? Since when do they have consultant optometrists. Naija reporters sha.

3 Likes

Re: Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jan 02, 2015
In as much as I don't support extreme make-overs, some facts in this report are wrong! Superglue is never used in lash fixing. What they use is a safe sticky liquid consisting of water and starch. I stand to be corrected though.

But then, people don't have the moral right to criticise ladies who fix eye lashes, nail attachment, hair attachment, or use make-up to look good. Many guys do have hair cutz to look good. So why criticise the ladies who do these things.

Moderation is the key factor!

3 Likes

Re: Optometrists Advise Women Against Indiscriminate Use Of Artificial Eyelashes by ellechrystal(f): 4:24pm On Jan 02, 2015
Gbam. Some will fix n look like drag Queens. I once saw a lady who fixed some long lashes..Lord of host!! I mean long like she was going 4 a carnival... purple colour 4 dat matter.i c some looking like vultures. Some can't do without it. I know of a girl who looks like a rat without it.chai..

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

14-Year-Old Nigerian Fashion Designer Debuts In London & Florida / My Startup - Jide Èkó Shoes / Oluchi & Agbani Darego Shine In New Photoshoot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.