Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,464 members, 7,808,645 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:49 PM

Increasing Cases Of Incest Among Nigerian Men - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Increasing Cases Of Incest Among Nigerian Men (1419 Views)

Handsomeness Of Middlebelt-nigerian Men / Igbo-Nigerian Men Are The Most Handsome Men In Africa! / American Women That Marry Nigerian Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Increasing Cases Of Incest Among Nigerian Men by earTHMama: 8:11pm On Dec 14, 2008
Increasing cases of incest worry lawyers
Written by Simeon Ndaji
Saturday, December 13, 2008

A Lagos State commissioner and two other lawyers in Lagos recently condemned the increasing cases of incest and other forms of violence against women in the country calling on the authorities to check the situation.

The commisioner Mrs Joke Adufulire, Niyi Agboola and Group Captain, Yomi Sotubo, spoke at the launch of a book entitled Beacon of Hope produced by a non-governmental organisation, Project Alert.

The three women canvassed the empowerment of women to enable them fight the menace

Mrs Adefulire who launched the book with N500,000:00 on behalf of the First Lady of Lagos State said the only way to stem the tide of  women abuse and maltreatment in their homes was to empower them through employment or involve them in business so that they can support the home-front.

The Commissioner who was the Special Guest at the occasion revealed that there were rampant cases of women abuse, and particularly shocking are cases of fathers having sex with their own daughters.

She narrated how a married woman in tears confided in her how her husband had sex with their daughter and she could not  report the matter to the appropriate quarters because of  the consequences, and the risk of  incurring the wrath of her husband.

Mrs Adefulire said that her husband cannot afford to beat her because she always contributed to the home-front, adding that, any woman who assisted her husband financially  would not incur the wrath of her husband and before any man would molest a wife that is of immense assistance to him he must think twice.

She told the audience to help develop the girl-child so that she can be empowered spiritually and academically so that she can know her right. The Chief Launcher, Rtd. Grp. Capt.Yomi Sotubo, also a lawyer, called for support for Project Alert to curb women abuse and other forms violence against women.

Launching the book with undisclosed amount, Mr   Niyi Agboola   who presided as the chairman of the   occasion pledged his support for Project Alert, and donated himself  (as a counsel) one case  for one year.

He  said that he had observed that the issue of  violence against women had been going on for a long time.“We ‘re in a masculine based-society where whatever the man does appears right ”.

He cited a case of an Igboman who had  spent over 40 years in Lagos, and when he shared his property gave all to the male child,but gave nothing to girls who apparently were more in number.But for his intervention he had a rethought and gave something to the girls.

He also cited instances where women also beat their husbands,but insinuated that it was rather absurd for husbands to molest their wives,and such anomaly  Project Aklert was poised to correct and eradicate in the long run.

In her  speech, Executive Director,Project Alert On Violence Against Women,Mrs Josphine Effah-Chukwuma said that Project Alert was a product of research and a documentation of cases of women’s right violation .

She said : “I ‘m an incurable optimist ,and we expect that the project will go a long way to achieve a zero tolerance for all forms of violence against women, She called on the men to be part of the solution,and not the problem.

Project Alert’s goodwill Ambassador,Kate Henshaw-Nuttal expressed  her delight to support the NGO.She said,:“I’ll continue to fight women causes ,”and she launched the book with N150,000 and pledged her continued support to Project Alert and other NGOs.

Reviewing the book,Mrs Femi Falana said it was quite unfortunate that women still contend with the issue of maginalisation and discrimination.

The media people are often referred to as the‘gentlemen of the press’ even when the females constitute the media crew.  

What’s wrong with ,‘Lady of Press’?Mrs Falana believes that women are as strong as men,and even stronger in some cases,and should have equal right with their male counterpart.She said that Beacon of Hope with 617 volume is not an ordinary book , but cases.There are 22 reported cases,and the book is a relevant instrument in the hands of lawyers.It’s equally a good book for women and others.

She concluded that judging from the cases in the book the law did not favour women .She referred to an aspect of the provision of the law that favoured employment of men,and she also said that in the case of taking a passport a woman was expected to take permission from her husband ,and why not vice versa,she queried. The Chief Launcher ,Rtd. Grp. Capt. Yomi Sotubo launched the book with N250,000.

It will be recalled that the project was officially launched on November 29,2007,and the three years project intend to reach as many men/boys as possible to achieve a zero -tolerance for all forms of Gender-Based Violence.

One seeming striking poser or challenge before the male gender is:pause a second,and consider the women you often hold dearest to your heart- your mother,daughter and sister.How do you feel if they are violated?

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/dec/13/303.html
Re: Increasing Cases Of Incest Among Nigerian Men by earTHMama: 8:14pm On Dec 14, 2008
She narrated how a married woman in tears confided in her how her husband had sex with their daughter and she could not report the matter to the appropriate quarters because of the consequences, and the risk of incurring the wrath of her husband.

Mrs Adefulire said that her husband cannot afford to beat her because she always contributed to the home-front, adding that, any woman who assisted her husband financially would not incur the wrath of her husband and before any man would molest a wife that is of immense assistance to him he must think twice

I believe the issue of incest in Nigerian society is not a new found culture. We can't continue to ignore thousands of girls abused by their fathers everyday. I hope that the war will be wedged appropriately in due course as women get more education and earn better salaries. Nigerian men that are involved in this act should be ashamed of themselves.
Re: Increasing Cases Of Incest Among Nigerian Men by lucabrasi(m): 8:31pm On Dec 14, 2008
earTHMama:

I believe the issue of incest in Nigerian society is not a new found culture. We can't continue to ignore thousands of girls abused by their fathers everyday. I hope that the war will be wedged appropriately in due course as women get more education and earn better salaries. Nigerian men that are involved in this act should be ashamed of themselves.
totally agree,when the obj one happened and the former minister akinyele was interviewed,rather than condemning the action he was actually tacitly justifying obj and saying its not a new phenomenon,aparently its been happening since the 70s or 80s then the popular slogan for it then was"na me born am,na me give am belle" showing it was wide spread and not just in rich and priviledged circles, the onus is on the girls to actually be bold enough to name and shame their fathers,no one can claim ignorance in this age of glabalisation and enlightenment
Re: Increasing Cases Of Incest Among Nigerian Men by earTHMama: 8:54pm On Dec 14, 2008
totally agree,when the obj one happened and the former minister akinyele was interviewed,rather than condemning the action he was actually tacitly justifying obj and saying its not a new phenomenon,aparently its been happening since the 70s or 80s then the popular slogan for it then was"na me born am,na me give am belle" showing it was wide spread and not just in rich and priviledged circles, the onus is on the girls to actually be bold enough to name and shame their fathers,no one can claim ignorance in this age of glabalisation and enlightenment

Point of Correction: Obj did not commit an incest. Even if he slept with his daughter in law. You can only accuse him of incest if he sleeps with Iyabo or Gbenga or any of his relations. Moji, Gbenga's estranged wife was abused sexually by her own father and not Obj.
Re: Increasing Cases Of Incest Among Nigerian Men by congoshine(m): 9:23pm On Dec 14, 2008
Gambari pa Fulani . . . . . . . . .?
Re: Increasing Cases Of Incest Among Nigerian Men by lucabrasi(m): 9:35pm On Dec 14, 2008
earTHMama:

Point of Correction: Obj did not commit an incest. Even if he slept with his daughter in law. You can only accuse him of incest if he sleeps with Iyabo or Gbenga or any of his relations. Moji, Gbenga's estranged wife was abused sexually by her own father and not Obj.
ok,thank you o i have heard, but there was no need for the correction because i never said obj commited incest,i mentioned  the obj one  because of akinyele's interview which was the main thrust of my comment and the context akinyele made the comments in,in your hurry to "correct"every comment made on your thread you didnt wait to ask what i meant before going off on one,i know obasanjo's son didnt get married to his sister or step sister
Re: Increasing Cases Of Incest Among Nigerian Men by earTHMama: 9:38pm On Dec 14, 2008
ok,thank you o i have heard, but there was no need for the correction because i never said obj commited incest,i mentioned  the obj one  because of akinyele's interview which was the main thrust of my comment and the context akinyele made the comments in,in your hurry to "correct"every comment made on your thread you didnt wait to ask what i meant before going off on one,i know obasanjo's son didnt get married to his sister or step sister
Ok; I had to react because most people had accused him of that in the past. It's everywhere on youtube and that is a gross misconception: I'm sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwdCzyqYO9A
Re: Increasing Cases Of Incest Among Nigerian Men by lucabrasi(m): 2:06am On Dec 15, 2008
no worries, and furthermore i think incest mostly happens amongst the rich because that is where the daughters dont want to say anything partly because of the fright and also because they have more to loose, the allowance,the cars,money e.t.c

(1) (Reply)

Why Are Yoruba Kings Barred From Seeing Dead Bodies? / Igbos In The UK Launch "ONYE" (diaspora Stories) Documenting Growing Up Abroad. / Agura Of Gbagura Abeokuta (MKO Abiola King) Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.