Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,315 members, 7,808,064 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:20 AM

Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? (28408 Views)

Lady Mocks Women Who Think Attachment Is A Sin But Use Wool To Make Their Hair / Catholic Archbishop Of Kampala Warns Women To Stop Beating Their Husbands / It Is Mandatory For As A Christian To Love Your Enemies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Nobody: 12:25am On Jan 19, 2015
Hiswordxray:
In the book of first Corinthians Paul gave certain instructions and he gave a reason for each of these instructions. Some he said it is directly from the Lord, another he said it's from the wisdom that God gave him, yet another he said it's just an advice. But when it came to the issue of women covering their hair he said "Now if anyone is disposed to be argumentative and contentious about this, we hold to and recognize no other custom [in worship] than this, nor do the churches of God generally." (1Cor 11:16).
Paul didn't say didn't say this is directly from the Lord and he didn't say if women didn't cover their hair they will go to Hell.

But Paul said this is a custom. Custom tells you what you need to do to be a part of a group or a society. And to be a part of the Church as at that time you must cover your hair as a woman.
But the gospel tells you what you need to do to make heaven and have a foretaste of heaven on earth.

Women covering hair is nothing but a custom for believer as at the time that verse was written. But if you choose to follow it fine and if you don't want to follow it there is nothing wrong with that.
everything in the bible is about the Jewish custom.. And u ain't a Jew. So that shouldn't be ur personal business
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by KoloOyinbo(m): 12:31am On Jan 19, 2015
Arcsniper:
everything in the bible is about the Jewish custom.. And u ain't a Jew. So that shouldn't be ur personal business

I don't understand this. The Bible speaks of Jews but is for Christians (actually for everybody).

When pedants try to impose irrelevant customs on fellow Christians I think that it warranted a comment from the poster. Its a FORUM after all.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by BaddieKay(f): 9:11am On Jan 19, 2015
All dis people saying its only a custom u shouldn't follow,why don't Men go into the church wearing their caps or covering their head?You guys should stop using d part of d bible that only Encourages ur worldly Excesses...Your head is uncovered from Monday to Saturday,What will a few hours of covering ur head in church cost you? Good morning
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by talk2sonia(f): 12:14pm On Jan 19, 2015
Guys please I'm new here in this commentary box but please wen u check 1 Corinthians 11 v 6 don't forget to read from verse 6-16. it will give u a clear answer to this argument. Pls not be bias. More emphasis should be given to verse 13, 14,15. SHIKENA cool
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jan 19, 2015
A flash of what i saw this morning made me come here to write this.
I usually follow nairaland from time to time because i have had my own very tough spiritual challenges and God saw me through it all.
Not more than five days ago, i wanted to study the word and after praying that God should lead me where to read and where i was led to was Mark 13 from vs 14-27. It was talking about the awful horror that would take place. Unlike me i said some prayer concerning that event.
Fast forward to this morning around some minutes to 8 in the morning, i was half awake half asleep and the flash came just like a dream i was hearing shouts as if it was from afar and then it was coming closer then i started seeing flying objects bigger than planes like all these flying objects that aliens use to fly to earth in all these movies flying all over, there where giant beings that where not human walking around, there was destruction everywhere, i panicked but then i remembered what i read from the Bible which was for everyone to remain where they were. I was sitting on a couch, i just held the person next to me and started singing praises and everything vanished.
All these took place in less than 3 minutes, i jumped up from my bed and had to look for a way to share.
I do not know when this will happen but i just want to use this medium to tell all those waiting on the Lord that are getting weary to stand firm because he is coming soon and for unbelievers to please repent and be prepared for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ because he is coming soon.
Please if you can share with your family and friends. Thank you.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by hotgunz(m): 7:27pm On Jan 19, 2015
MarieSucre:
After verse 5 we should stop reading, hmmmnnn. After Genesis bible don end be dat? enough with the cherry-picking mister. verse 14 and 15 give verse 5 context.
hmmmmm guess u re one of ds new generation remix bible church...
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by MarieSucre(f): 12:43pm On Jan 20, 2015
hotgunz:
hmmmmm guess u re one of ds new generation remix bible church...
I do not go to a new generation church. i'm not a pentecostal. what does verse15 mean pls.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by MarieSucre(f): 12:47pm On Jan 20, 2015
BaddieKay:
All dis people saying its only a custom u shouldn't follow,why don't Men go into the church wearing their caps or covering their head?You guys should stop using d part of d bible that only Encourages ur worldly Excesses...Your head is uncovered from Monday to Saturday,What will a few hours of covering ur head in church cost you? Good morning
Because thats not what the bible says. thats how some catholic sects whip themselves and some pentecostals walk barefoot. You wan holy pass God.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by JesusisLord85: 1:16am On Jan 21, 2015
talk2sonia:
Guys please I'm new here in this commentary box but please wen u check 1 Corinthians 11 v 6 don't forget to read from verse 6-16. it will give u a clear answer to this argument. Pls not be bias. More emphasis should be given to verse 13, 14,15. SHIKENA cool

Nonsense. You are here trying to pick pieces of a letter written to a particular group. What IS obvious from this letter is that women who pray with their head uncovered, are an abomination... Not to me, but God.

Let that be the end of the matter. Fear God and keep his commandments
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by KoloOyinbo(m): 5:33pm On Jan 22, 2015
JesusisLord85:

Nonsense. You are here trying to pick pieces of a letter written to a particular group. What IS obvious from this letter is that women who pray with their head uncovered, are an abomination... Not to me, but God.

Yes, keep all ten of them and ignore the MEN who impose outdated customs on good Christians and undermine the faith. Hair custom has nothing to do with God! How can anyone with a mature and educated faith believe such nonsense. Christianity will progress with or with such pedantic, ill educated and fundamentalist rubbish.

Cover or not as the custom of MAN.
(abomination to God? The only abomination this archaic and myopic view of our great religion) Sigh. Does the developing world have to develop spiritually and theologically as well as materially?
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Hiswordxray(m): 6:12pm On Jan 22, 2015
JesusisLord85:

Tell me where you find that in the Bible?
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by todayguest(m): 10:25pm On Jan 25, 2015
MarieSucre:
It has been proven that this is not from the bible but a doctrine propagated by man and enforced by conservative zealots why encourage it. Be careful what you support in your zeal to be holier.
from bible references cited above. It's biblical, and not an act propagated man, like you claimed. You've to prayerfully read those passages again.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by KoloOyinbo(m): 6:43am On Jan 26, 2015
todayguest:
from bible references cited above. It's biblical, and not an act propagated man, like you claimed. You've to prayerfully read those passages again.
Yes. Read prayerfully! Note how Paul talked about ADVICE for THAT group at THAT time. WHY? So we learn the lesson of respect and decency in order to use it appropriately and adapt to changing social customs as time advances and Christianity spreads to all cultures.

Sadly when we try to spread our great religion among the developing world and other cultures we must be so careful to teach the MESSAGE of the BIble (illustrated with all its wonderful metaphor and allegory) rather than a blind primitive focus on a specific literal wording.

The lesson is certainly not to inhibit any culture or force outmoded alien cultures onto others throughout changing times. Dress modestly according to the local cusoms and social mores! The idea of salvation/sin/God even caring about hair covered or not is such a nonsense!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by MarieSucre(f): 10:12am On Jan 26, 2015
todayguest:
I understand what you mean. But prayers will not alter the meaning of verse15. do not let 'longheld' traditions close your mind.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by MarieSucre(f): 10:15am On Jan 26, 2015
JesusisLord85:

i do not understand you. explain how verse5 and 6 and also verse14,15 and 16 enforces a scarf on women.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by KoloOyinbo(m): 10:54am On Jan 26, 2015
MarieSucre:
I understand what you mean. But prayers will not alter the meaning of verse15. do not let 'longheld' traditions close your mind.

Please ignore the fools who pick verses IN ISOLATION.

Read IN CONTEXT AS A WHOLE.

Verse 15 is PRECEDED BY VERSE 13 "Judge for YOURSELVES"

Also by verse 14 which speaksof "the nature of things"

Thise things in Corinth 2000 years ago are not the same as 2000 tears later and Europe or Africa or etc etc.

How can any educated Christian believe that the covering or not covering of your hair is a sin? Do they misunderstand sin so much? Have they missed the message of Christianity so much?

It is hard to forgive those who insist on reducing our faith to a set of barbaric, backward 'taboos'.

Take heart. It is only through hypocracy that they accuse! They should rejoice that people come to worship the Lord no matter what the local custom of dress is.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by todayguest(m): 6:29pm On Jan 26, 2015
MarieSucre:
this is not the tradition of men, but, an instruction from the Holy Spirit given to believers to adhere.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by MarieSucre(f): 6:38pm On Jan 26, 2015
todayguest:
this is not the tradition of men, but, an instruction from the Holy Spirit given to believers to adhere.
Thank you oo. pls tell them o. they keep saying it is the hair that must be covered. now the Holy Spirit revealed verse15, they still disagree that it is the hair that is the covering in off itself. thank you!

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Obasanjo Receives Kumuyi - More Photos / Have You Noticed All The Women Accusing Suleiman Are Into Acting/showbiz? / When Did The Apostles Become Born Again?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.