Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,934 members, 7,806,708 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:24 PM

Story Of My Life...how Ignorance Destroyed My Interview!!! - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Story Of My Life...how Ignorance Destroyed My Interview!!! (4615 Views)

My Interview Experience With A Banking Firm / My Interview Experience / NLNG - My Interview & Confusion. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Story Of My Life...how Ignorance Destroyed My Interview!!! by sugarbuns(f): 9:02am On Jan 04, 2015
So I decide to write about one of the most embarrassing days of my life. It will be in series with questions I faced. It was my first time in Nairobi, Kenya, couldn't believe my luck an opportunity to be interviewed by top brand companies for a fellowship programme. Ok, let me start at the beginning. I applied for a fellowship that I wasn't even qualified for, no MBA, zero professional courses. In fact I had made no effort to improve myself in the 2 years after my NYSC. I concentrated solely on getting a job and earning money (typical Naija mentality).
Luckily I got a mail to attend with an all expense paid trip ( return flight, hotel and a lovely, lovely buffet) to Nairobi. It was my first time there, I was excited.
I bought my clothes, got my yellow card and renewed my passport. I googled assessment centre activities. I prepared for everything; maybe some interview questions here and there BUT with how it turned out I guess it wasn't good enough.
My interviewers were 2 Germans and a nice Kenyan lady, I was a bit nervous but I did a good job of faking it (fake it till you make it lol).
The first question was pretty easy then one of the deal breakers came:
Interviewer: Where do you see yourself in 5 years.
Me: In sales & marketing. I would like to cover product management and branding.
Interviewer (with a smile on his face): Hmmm, but sales and marketing are 2 different things.
Continue reading:

http://..com/2015/01/embarassing-interview-day-1.html?m=1

If you would like me to feature your unique experience on my blog please send mail tenniye@gmail.com
Names will not be published.

2 Likes

Re: Story Of My Life...how Ignorance Destroyed My Interview!!! by Isryl02(m): 9:08am On Jan 04, 2015
Chai lipsrsealed
Sorry eh undecided
Buh, post the full gist, or this thread will just die a natural death cheesy

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Story Of My Life...how Ignorance Destroyed My Interview!!! by hahn(m): 9:56am On Jan 04, 2015
Isryl02:
Chai lipsrsealed
Sorry eh undecided

Similar to Nigeria's economy

1 Like

Re: Story Of My Life...how Ignorance Destroyed My Interview!!! by Nobody: 10:15am On Jan 04, 2015
Give the lady a break, she posts a lot of stuff here FREE, a CLICK on the blog link won't hurt smiley

------Modified----
That was an elightening piece, I think most multinational coys separate their Sales n Marketing Dept howbeit local coys merge them to cut cost

OP pls notify me of the rejoinder to the first part. Thanks smiley

3 Likes

Re: Story Of My Life...how Ignorance Destroyed My Interview!!! by sugarbuns(f): 10:51am On Jan 04, 2015
TheWhiteKnight:
Give the lady a break, she posts a lot of stuff here FREE, a CLICK on the blog link won't hurt smiley

------Modified----
That was an elightening piece, I think most multinational coys separate their Sales n Marketing Dept howbeit local coys merge them to cut cost

OP pls notify me of the rejoinder to the first part. Thanks smiley
Aiit will keep you posted.
Re: Story Of My Life...how Ignorance Destroyed My Interview!!! by Trippledots(m): 11:04am On Jan 04, 2015
wow....did she loose the job eventually?
Re: Story Of My Life...how Ignorance Destroyed My Interview!!! by Nobody: 11:12am On Jan 04, 2015
Seriously,you didn't get me curious enough to click on that link. Nice try tho.

13 Likes

Re: Story Of My Life...how Ignorance Destroyed My Interview!!! by dabiko(m): 11:28am On Jan 04, 2015
Lol, bros just click the link na.
Re: Story Of My Life...how Ignorance Destroyed My Interview!!! by dabiko(m): 11:30am On Jan 04, 2015
No10:
Seriously,you didn't get me curious enough to click on that link. Nice try tho.
grin bros just click the link...No big deal na!
Re: Story Of My Life...how Ignorance Destroyed My Interview!!! by Goddygee(m): 11:39am On Jan 04, 2015
Isryl02:
Chai lipsrsealed
Sorry eh undecided
hahahahah guy u funny o
Re: Story Of My Life...how Ignorance Destroyed My Interview!!! by Nobody: 11:42am On Jan 04, 2015
dabiko:
grin bros just click the link...No big deal na!
. Ok Sir!!! Right away.
Re: Story Of My Life...how Ignorance Destroyed My Interview!!! by sugarbuns(f): 11:45am On Jan 04, 2015
No10:
. Ok Sir!!! Right away.
Hmmmmmm
Re: Story Of My Life...how Ignorance Destroyed My Interview!!! by Nobody: 11:52am On Jan 04, 2015
sugarbuns:

Hmmmmmm
. Aloha.
Re: Story Of My Life...how Ignorance Destroyed My Interview!!! by Oluwatosean(m): 12:08pm On Jan 04, 2015
abeg, make person wey don read finish tell me the rest of d story. I don budget my 2mb for nl

6 Likes

Re: Story Of My Life...how Ignorance Destroyed My Interview!!! by chymystique(f): 12:12pm On Jan 04, 2015
Embarassing Interview Day 1
So I decide to write about one of the most embarrassing days of my life. It will be in series with questions I faced. It was my first time in Nairobi, Kenya, couldn't believe my luck an opportunity to be interviewed by top brand companies for a fellowship programme. Ok, let me start at the beginning. I applied for a fellowship that I wasn't even qualified for, no MBA, zero professional courses. In fact I had made no effort to improve myself in the 2 years after my NYSC. I concentrated solely on getting a job and earning money (typical Naija mentality).
Luckily I got a mail to attend with an all expense paid trip ( return flight, hotel and a lovely, lovely buffet) to Nairobi. It was my first time there, I was excited.
I bought my clothes, got my yellow card and renewed my passport. I googled assessment centre activities. I prepared for everything; maybe some interview questions here and there BUT with how it turned out I guess it wasn't good enough.
My interviewers were 2 Germans and a nice Kenyan lady, I was a bit nervous but I did a good job of faking it (fake it till you make it lol).
The first question was pretty easy then one of the deal breakers came:

Interviewer: Where do you see yourself in 5 years.

Me: In sales & marketing. I would like to cover product management and branding.

Interviewer (with a smile on his face): Hmmm, but sales and marketing are 2 different things.

Me thinking: Na wah oh I know even know sef. This one no be my country when all these pharmaceutical and insurance pepo they do all together. Ol' boy I don Bleep up, all these Naija jobs and their adverts when dey jam am (sales and marketing) don kee me).
I felt like dying, I think I almost crapped my pants because I had made a really cute fool of myself. I somehow in all my enlightened years did not know that their was a huge difference all though they are easily confused. Bush geh like me smiley

So first lesson:
Sales and Marketing are two different things oh if I had tried using google.com I found that out.

So let's define it:

Marketing:
It should consist of strategies that you can measure your reach and work to persuade your prospects that you are the company for them. It's the message that prepares the prospect for the sale. It could consist of advertising, public relations, social media, relationship marketing, brand marketing, viral marketing, and direct mail.
Sales:
The sales process consists of interpersonal interaction. It is often done by a one-on-one meeting, cold calls, and networking. It's anything that engages you with the prospect or customer on a personal level rather than at a distance. Most the time the prospect or potential customer has been driven to you via marketing efforts.

Similarity: They are both aimed at increasing revenue.
Without marketing you would not have prospects or leads to follow up with, but yet without a good sales technique and strategy your closing rate may depress you. Marketing and sales should work simultaneously, but in most companies they are departments that don't even speak to each other.

Article credit: http://marketing.about.com/cs/advertising/a/mrktingvssales.htm

@sugarbuns, hope its better as ve copied it here on NL so everybody could read the so called tale without visitng your blog tongue

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Story Of My Life...how Ignorance Destroyed My Interview!!! by emedy(m): 12:16pm On Jan 04, 2015
Oluwatosean:
abeg, make person wey don read finish tell me the rest of d story. I don budget my 2mb for nl
ok...she just went to Define Marketing and sales that's all. I see why people don't take Nigerian bloggers serious. Smh
Re: Story Of My Life...how Ignorance Destroyed My Interview!!! by sugarbuns(f): 12:45pm On Jan 04, 2015
chymystique:

@sugarbuns, hope its better as ve copied it here on NL so everybody could read the so called tale without visitng your blog tongue
@chymystique it's cool....

For more job postings and articles please check my signature+BBM channel.
Re: Story Of My Life...how Ignorance Destroyed My Interview!!! by armadeo(m): 2:58pm On Jan 04, 2015
sugarbuns:

@chymystique it's cool....

For more job postings and articles please check my signature+BBM channel.

I read the story here I didn't visit the blog. However hafbi not seen the entire write up here I most likely would have gone to the blog. I would have been disappointed.
The start up and finale don't match. I expected some exposure on the foreign pattern if interviews as against our Nigerian pattern not just the sales and matketing . secondly you are a good writer keep it up.

1 Like

Re: Story Of My Life...how Ignorance Destroyed My Interview!!! by sugarbuns(f): 3:03pm On Jan 04, 2015
armadeo:

I read the story here I didn't visit the blog. However hafbi not seen the entire write up here I most likely would have gone to the blog. I would have been disappointed.
The start up and finale don't match. I expected some exposure on the foreign pattern if interviews as against our Nigerian pattern not just the sales and matketing . secondly you are a good writer keep it up.

The assessment was quite different I intend to write about it as each question asked was new. Although I know better now, I'm well aware that not everybody knows the difference between S&M. Thanks for the compliment though.
Re: Story Of My Life...how Ignorance Destroyed My Interview!!! by lanicky(f): 3:39pm On Jan 04, 2015
chymystique:

Can't stop laughing @ dis.....u must be a naughty ladycheesy

Thanks tho
Re: Story Of My Life...how Ignorance Destroyed My Interview!!! by sbashir10(m): 4:00pm On Jan 04, 2015
Noted
Re: Story Of My Life...how Ignorance Destroyed My Interview!!! by sugarbuns(f): 4:10pm On Jan 04, 2015
[quote author=mynairatime post=29484283][/quote]
Bros why u dey vex nah?
Re: Story Of My Life...how Ignorance Destroyed My Interview!!! by chymystique(f): 4:20pm On Jan 04, 2015
lanicky:

Can't stop laughing @ dis.....u must be a naughty ladycheesy

Thanks tho

LOL, yeeaahh! And you are welcome o.. cool cool
Re: Story Of My Life...how Ignorance Destroyed My Interview!!! by ceo4eva: 6:20pm On Jan 04, 2015
chymystique:

LMAO...U did that in a polite way by craving for the OP's attention. Luv ur comic style. Kudos!

1 Like

Re: Story Of My Life...how Ignorance Destroyed My Interview!!! by chymystique(f): 6:40pm On Jan 04, 2015
ceo4eva:

LMAO...U did that in a polite way by craving for the OP's attention. Luv ur comic style. Kudos!

lol.. Thanks wink grin .
Re: Story Of My Life...how Ignorance Destroyed My Interview!!! by Lero15(m): 6:57pm On Jan 04, 2015
GNLD and some Nigerian banks have abused these terms so bad...

2 Likes

Re: Story Of My Life...how Ignorance Destroyed My Interview!!! by sugarbuns(f): 10:46pm On Jan 04, 2015
Lero15:
GNLD and some Nigerian banks have abused these terms so bad...
True, well I hope the disappointing article/ write-up helped someone today.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Graduate Trainees By Nigerites / Federal Inland Revenue Service / Marketers Required Immediately In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.