Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,561 members, 7,809,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:53 PM

Repeated Burning Of 08/09 Toyota Corolla Ac Compressor - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Repeated Burning Of 08/09 Toyota Corolla Ac Compressor (4376 Views)

Bus Burning At Technoil Filling Station, Ojodu, Lagos (Photos) / Vehicle Is Burning On 3rd Mainland Bridge (photos) / Burning Vehicle Along Lagos-ibadan Express Causes Traffic (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Repeated Burning Of 08/09 Toyota Corolla Ac Compressor by Teextoo(m): 7:37am On Jan 05, 2015
Hello Guys, I need your help and advice on what to do about my 09 toyota corolla (south african version) ac compressor. My car's ac compressor has been burning repeatedly since mid November last year and am on the 4th compressor now which was changed on 18th December with an adapted 507 new compressor as last resort on advice of the technician; to my chagrin, it burnt on 26th December almost setting the engine on fire after burning out the belt.
So I decided to let it rest and drive without ac till the christmas festivities are over. Now, I would have loved to scrap the car but it's a manual transmission and am enjoying it.
Please Nairalanders, help me out cos I have always bragged to my friends who are none members that there is no issue in this world that you guys can't handle.
Thanks

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Repeated Burning Of 08/09 Toyota Corolla Ac Compressor by mayor2013: 8:47am On Jan 05, 2015
Your case seems critical and in tackling this issue the entire wiring system has to be checked. Am sure your car wasn't like this and some road side rewires must have done some Acradabada on it. Get a competent electrician to check it for you. Am sure the previous electrician must have done some wrong connections

1 Like

Re: Repeated Burning Of 08/09 Toyota Corolla Ac Compressor by chukel(m): 9:06am On Jan 05, 2015
Teextoo:
Hello Guys, I need your help and advice on what to do about my 09 toyota corolla (south african version) ac compressor. My car's ac compressor has been burning repeatedly since mid November last year and am on the 4th compressor now which was changed on 18th December with an adapted 507 new compressor as last resort on advice of the technician; to my chagrin, it burnt on 26th December almost setting the engine on fire after burning out the belt.
So I decided to let it rest and drive without ac till the christmas festivities are over. Now, I would have loved to scrap the car but it's a manual transmission and am enjoying it.
Please Nairalanders, help me out cos I have always bragged to my friends who are none members that there is no issue in this world that you guys can't handle.
Thanks
i guess u have been replacing ur compressor with wrong ones not made for ur car. driving a car is not cheap and if u intend enjoying and reaping the benefits of the car, u have to spend money on quality parts. endeavor to buy the correct compressor with a matched part number. it may be expensive, but that is the price u pay to enjoy ur ac. secondly, u have to change that technician. there is something he is not doing right. there may be impurities in the system which will need flushing. he may not be lubricating the system well with the correct oil or adequate quantity, thus making the compressor work so hard and burn off. finally, make sure the original electrical connection of ur ac has not been altered.

3 Likes

Re: Repeated Burning Of 08/09 Toyota Corolla Ac Compressor by Teextoo(m): 9:45am On Jan 05, 2015
chukel:
i guess u have been replacing ur compressor with wrong ones not made for ur car. driving a car is not cheap and if u intend enjoying and reaping the benefits of the car, u have to spend money on quality parts. endeavor to buy the correct compressor with a matched part number. it may be expensive, but that is the price u pay to enjoy ur ac. secondly, u have to change that technician. there is something he is not doing right. there may be impurities in the system which will need flushing. he may not be lubricating the system well with the correct oil or adequate quantity, thus making the compressor work so hard and burn off. finally, make sure the original electrical connection of ur ac has not been altered.
I have been changing it with the exact 1.8 corolla compressor that it came with till the last repair when the technician advised on adapting a 507 for it.
Re: Repeated Burning Of 08/09 Toyota Corolla Ac Compressor by senator2k9(m): 10:04am On Jan 05, 2015
Bro listen to my advice carefully.
1. Does ur compressor have a relay? If no, pls fix it sharply..
2. This is d most important one......if ur AC system does not have a THERMOSTAT wired to it, it wil make ur compressor to be working continuously, there by knocking the compressor in less than a week of usage. The thermostat regulates the compressor, switch it off wen its becoming too cold frm d inside n allows d compressor to breathe. I wil snap my own n show u.
3. Does he add compressor oil before adding gas? This could knock n compressor too.
4. They might be a blockage in d entire system (u didn't tell us wat happened to d 1st compressor dat came with d car) let him get d entire system flushed down to the condenser. Some pple put thinner in d system and use a vulcaniser to pump air into the system flushin out all d dirts in s system. Since the previous compressors have been knocking, u jst cnt replace another compressor without flushing. FLUSHING is necessary.
5. Finally, let ur technician change d dryer (AC filter), and also check the Expansion ValVe . I'm assuring u if all dese is done u wil thanks me a million. Wil upload pixs soon for u to see

3 Likes

Re: Repeated Burning Of 08/09 Toyota Corolla Ac Compressor by senator2k9(m): 10:20am On Jan 05, 2015
1st pix is d dryer, while the other is the thermostat. Normally inbuilt bt when it is damaged, it can be replaced with this type in dis pix. Simple test for thermostat can be done. When d AC is on, watch compressor as it rotates, it wil MAGNET for like 5minues (or less) and stop for some few seconds and continues again. Bt if its working continuously. Knw dat either there's no thermostat or the one present is Bad.

4 Likes

Re: Repeated Burning Of 08/09 Toyota Corolla Ac Compressor by Teextoo(m): 10:55am On Jan 05, 2015
Thanks people, for your great response. @Senator, I don't know about relay but the system was always flushed when installing new compressor. It was 2 days after adapting to 507 compressor that I noticed that the thermostat wasn't working and I took it back to be replaced, but it still went ahead to burn and almost setting my engine on fire.
Re: Repeated Burning Of 08/09 Toyota Corolla Ac Compressor by chukel(m): 11:16am On Jan 05, 2015
Teextoo:

I have been changing it with the exact 1.8 corolla compressor that it came with till the last repair when the technician advised on adapting a 507 for it.
also try and change ur expansion valve next time not just the compressor.
Re: Repeated Burning Of 08/09 Toyota Corolla Ac Compressor by senator2k9(m): 11:42am On Jan 05, 2015
Did the thermostat work? I.e after replacing it?
Check ur expansion valve also, there must be a blockage also.......also check ur AC return pipe(the pipe dat carries hot gas). If dat pipe is expired, or worn it wil start peeling its rubber components into the cooling system also. Remember I mentioned that the flushing should be done with the condenser also not jst d pipes. Pls check d dryer also, it might be blocked . The dryer is the gas filter

2 Likes

Re: Repeated Burning Of 08/09 Toyota Corolla Ac Compressor by Mmgboji(m): 2:59pm On Jan 19, 2021
Teextoo:
Thanks
I am having this same issue on my Camry 2004 4Cyl. How did you eventually resolve this issue?
Re: Repeated Burning Of 08/09 Toyota Corolla Ac Compressor by adanny01(m): 8:52pm On Jan 19, 2021
Teextoo:
Thanks

This is a very common issue with especially the SA model, infact the range of Corolla and Camry of the year.

my friend bought a 2010 Corolla very cheap because the previous owner tried and gave up on the AC. The previous owner handed to him 3 working compressors but all would cut out after 20 minutes of cooling. The expansion valve was changed several times. A Peugeot compressor was used but the vibration and loss of power was something else.
Re: Repeated Burning Of 08/09 Toyota Corolla Ac Compressor by Peppermintflav: 11:39am On Jan 20, 2021
Teextoo:
Thanks
Normally when you change compressor you should also change the drier bottle and condenser. A thorough flush of the system is also advisable, cos when a compressor knocks it circulates some metallic particles through the system.
Finally change your technician.... 4 compressors in less than a year is a no no.

2 Likes

Re: Repeated Burning Of 08/09 Toyota Corolla Ac Compressor by alphaNomega: 10:03am On Jan 21, 2021
Mmgboji:

I am having this same issue on my Camry 2004 4Cyl. How did you eventually resolve this issue?

I can bet you the OP eventually sold the car without solving the issue. Maybe because I did not see his message in 2015 to advise him..but you are a lucky bastard so listen up.

Like someone earlier said, the burnt/knocked compressor has thrown debris into the system so putting a new compressor would place you in a monthly cycle of AC compressor replacement.

Now modern AC systems have very tiny orifices in the system that makes it impossible to get all the debris out by "flushing"

Solution?

Total overhaul of the AC system.

Your dashboard will have to come off for this. Replace all major AC components i.e. dryer, evaporator, compressor, condenser, AC lines ( residual gunk could be picked up and thrown into circulation again, you will be lucky if your dryer can filter them but you will have to replace the dryer about 2-3 times)

REPLACE ALL THE O-RINGS. Very important to prevent leaks

Pull a vacuum on your AC system before recharging with refrigerant. You need someone with a vacuum pump and knowledge of how to properly use it to get it done. Did I mention you also need AC pressure gauges? You don't want to overcharge your now-expensive and go back to square one, do you? Optimal value for the low pressure side is 40 - 47 psi

Anything short of the above, I guarantee you will work on that AC within 4 weeks

6 Likes

Re: Repeated Burning Of 08/09 Toyota Corolla Ac Compressor by Mmgboji(m): 1:11pm On Jan 21, 2021
alphaNomega:

I can bet you the OP eventually sold the car without solving the issue. Maybe because I did not see his message in 2015 to advise him..but you are a lucky bastard so listen up.

Like someone earlier said, the burnt/knocked compressor has thrown debris into the system so putting a new compressor would place you in a monthly cycle of AC compressor replacement.

Now modern AC systems have very tiny orifices in the system that makes it impossible to get all the debris out by "flushing"

Solution?

Total overhaul of the AC system.

Your dashboard will have to come off for this. Replace all major AC components i.e. dryer, evaporator, compressor, condenser, AC lines ( residual gunk could be picked up and thrown into circulation again, you will be lucky if your dryer can filter them but you will have to replace the dryer about 2-3 times)

REPLACE ALL THE O-RINGS. Very important to prevent leaks

Pull a vacuum on your AC system before recharging with refrigerant. You need someone with a vacuum pump and knowledge of how to properly use it to get it done. Did I mention you also need AC pressure gauges? You don't want to overcharge your now-expensive and go back to square one, do you? Optimal value for the low pressure side is 40 - 47 psi

Anything short of the above, I guarantee you will work on that AC within 4 weeks

Thanks Boss. The car is currently at the technician's workshop. He also recommended a total overhaul of the system. We have changed the compressor, condenser, evaporator, discharge hoses and valves. I will insist now that we take the car to another workshop to vaccum it before recharging with refrigerant. Your comment came right at the nick of time.
Thanks a lot Boss.

4 Likes

Re: Repeated Burning Of 08/09 Toyota Corolla Ac Compressor by alphaNomega: 3:17pm On Jan 21, 2021
Mmgboji:

Thanks Boss. The car is currently at the technician's workshop. He also recommended a total overhaul of the system. We have changed the compressor, condenser, evaporator, discharge hoses and valves. I will insist now that we take the car to another workshop to vaccum it before recharging with refrigerant. Your comment came right at the nick of time.
Thanks a lot Boss.
Please make sure they replace ALL the O-rings with new ones. One faulty ring will compromise the entire job.
Re: Repeated Burning Of 08/09 Toyota Corolla Ac Compressor by henryutd(m): 7:26pm On Jan 21, 2021
adanny01:

This is a very common issue with especially the SA model, infact the range of Corolla and Camry of the year.

my friend bought a 2010 Corolla very cheap because the previous owner tried and gave up on the AC. The previous owner handed to him 3 working compressors but all would cut out after 20 minutes of cooling. The expansion valve was changed several times. A Peugeot compressor was used but the vibration and loss of power was something else.

The Bold is what I am currently experiencing. How did he resolve that?
Re: Repeated Burning Of 08/09 Toyota Corolla Ac Compressor by henryutd(m): 7:39pm On Jan 21, 2021
Dear alphaNomega
I have Corolla 010 which was erroneously bought because the owner has changed the compressor to 507 peugeot. I am currently experiencing vibration and loss of power when I am using the AC especially under heavy use in a hot weather.
The loss of power makes the AC ineffective and I am helpless. I understood your explanations but the technicians in Onitsha can't do a thorough job.
Is there any alternative?
Re: Repeated Burning Of 08/09 Toyota Corolla Ac Compressor by Mmgboji(m): 7:54pm On Jan 21, 2021
alphaNomega:
Please make sure they replace ALL the O-rings with new ones. One faulty ring will compromise the entire job.

We eventually found a workshop with vaccum pump. The system was vaccum pumped and recharged with Refrigerant. The technician installed a thermostat with turned the compressor clutch on and off at intervals. I've been cruising the whole town test-driving the job and it's been cooling like a fridge. I pray it endures the test of time.

We changed virtually including all O-rings.

Thank you so much for your kind advice.

5 Likes

Re: Repeated Burning Of 08/09 Toyota Corolla Ac Compressor by adanny01(m): 8:05pm On Jan 21, 2021
henryutd:

The Bold is what I am currently experiencing. How did he resolve that?

No resolution till date
Re: Repeated Burning Of 08/09 Toyota Corolla Ac Compressor by henryutd(m): 8:16pm On Jan 21, 2021
Mmgboji:

We eventually found a workshop with vaccum pump. The system was vaccum pumped and recharged with Refrigerant. The technician installed a thermostat with turned the compressor clutch on and off at intervals. I've been cruising the whole town test-driving the job and it's been cooling like a fridge. I pray it endures the test of time.

How much did it cost you? I am having the same issue here with my corolla 2010. Replaced with 507 compressor and it's vibrating with loss of power when in heavy use.
Re: Repeated Burning Of 08/09 Toyota Corolla Ac Compressor by henryutd(m): 8:17pm On Jan 21, 2021
adanny01:

No resolution till date

I will quickly sell it off if I can't manage it
Re: Repeated Burning Of 08/09 Toyota Corolla Ac Compressor by Mmgboji(m): 10:20am On Jan 22, 2021
henryutd:

How much did it cost you? I am having the same issue here with my corolla 2010. Replaced with 507 compressor and it's vibrating with loss of power when in heavy use.

The entire cost is as follows:
-Compressor ₦55,000
-Condenser ₦18,000
-Evaporator ₦20,000
-Discharge hoses ₦9,000
-Discharge Valve ₦1,500
-Thermostat ₦3,000
-Flushing gas ₦3,000
-Vaccuming ₦5000
-Refrigerant ₦4000
-Labour Charge ₦5,000

TOTAL ₦123,500

I know that's a whole lot of money. Although it can be lesser depending on your location.

2 Likes

Re: Repeated Burning Of 08/09 Toyota Corolla Ac Compressor by alphaNomega: 11:07pm On Jan 23, 2021
Mmgboji:

Glad it helped

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Repeated Burning Of 08/09 Toyota Corolla Ac Compressor by alphaNomega: 11:10pm On Jan 23, 2021
henryutd:
Dear alphaNomega
I have Corolla 010 which was erroneously bought because the owner has changed the compressor to 507 peugeot. I am currently experiencing vibration and loss of power when I am using the AC especially under heavy use in a hot weather.
The loss of power makes the AC ineffective and I am helpless. I understood your explanations but the technicians in Onitsha can't do a thorough job.
Is there any alternative?
Mmgboji could direct you to the shop he got his car fixed.
Re: Repeated Burning Of 08/09 Toyota Corolla Ac Compressor by xperiencelove(m): 10:37am On Jan 24, 2021
There was a time my two radiator fans stopped while the AC is on and I didn't know until the coldness vanished and black smoke started coming out of the engine compartment. I replaced all the AC system including the hoses except evaporator only which took a whole day to fix. Changed gasket, plug and plug wires because the plug wire melt on the plugs and the plug was chiseled out. I used the AC for another 13 months and nothing happen to it till I sold the car. Camry Envelope
Re: Repeated Burning Of 08/09 Toyota Corolla Ac Compressor by Kelvin30286063(m): 11:30am On Feb 05, 2021
Mmgboji:

The entire cost is as follows:
-Compressor ₦55,000
-Condenser ₦18,000
-Evaporator ₦20,000
-Discharge hoses ₦9,000
-Discharge Valve ₦1,500
-Thermostat ₦3,000
-Flushing gas ₦3,000
-Vaccuming ₦5000
-Refrigerant ₦4000
-Labour Charge ₦5,000

TOTAL ₦123,500

I know that's a whole lot of money. Although it can be lesser depending on your location.
Thanks for this break down. I'll like to know if your ac is still kicking after some days. I'll also like to know if the AC cools in idle cuz I have that issue too. I'm planning a complete overhaul and I want to be sure this will fix the problem before dropping this kind of money. Hoping for a response from you

1 Like

Re: Repeated Burning Of 08/09 Toyota Corolla Ac Compressor by Mmgboji(m): 2:19pm On Feb 05, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

Thanks for this break down. I'll like to know if your ac is still kicking after some days. I'll also like to know if the AC cools in idle cuz I have that issue too. I'm planning a complete overhaul and I want to be sure this will fix the problem before dropping this kind of money. Hoping for a response from you

Yeah.. It's been over 2weeks now and it's still chilling like winter in Oslo both in idle and in motion. If you must overhaul yours don't forget to insist that the system be vaccumed before recharging, otherwise it may well be an effort in futility.

1 Like

Re: Repeated Burning Of 08/09 Toyota Corolla Ac Compressor by Jaygrl(f): 8:25pm On Feb 05, 2021
Mmgboji:

Congratulations...please can I get a rough estimate of how much you spent?

Just saw that you have answered the question already

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

10 Motorcycle Riding Tips / Toyota Corolla Vs Lexus ES 330 / Expired Temporary Drivers License

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.