Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,892 members, 7,802,875 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:35 AM

Price Of New Tyre - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Price Of New Tyre (28143 Views)

Which Is The Best Cost Effective New Tyre? / How Long Does A Car Tyre Stay Before They Expire? Expert Opinions Needed / Trailer Loses Tyre While Driving On Lagos Road This Morning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Price Of New Tyre by juliuskay(m): 9:51am On Jan 05, 2015
What is the price for new tyre (Michelin and continental tyre 205/60 R16).

1 Like

Re: Price Of New Tyre by Nobody: 10:11am On Jan 05, 2015
Between 22k and 25k, depending on where u are buying. Price in Abj may not be same as in Lag

2 Likes

Re: Price Of New Tyre by juliuskay(m): 10:59am On Jan 05, 2015
Thanx man...
Re: Price Of New Tyre by fanex: 4:16pm On Jan 05, 2015
please stay away from brand new tires unless you are buying directly from the Company or you can guarantee its authenticity. from a reliable source, an expired tire is actually better than most brand new tires imported into most African countries.
Re: Price Of New Tyre by nurey(m): 6:45pm On Jan 05, 2015
fanex:
please stay away from brand new tires unless you are buying directly from the Company or you can guarantee its authenticity. from a reliable source, an expired tire is actually better than most brand new tires imported into most African countries.

How can you talk like this, are you into tire marketing or you did a comprehensive survey.
I bought two brand new tires (double king), and it has never given me probs for month
Re: Price Of New Tyre by Denn(m): 11:09pm On Jan 05, 2015
fanex:

Which company?

You should have said the op should be wary of fake tires.
Re: Price Of New Tyre by fanex: 7:10am On Jan 06, 2015
its almost impossible to tell a tire is fake so the op stands no chance of knowing. there are few good tire companies in naija but stil i will be skeptical of buying off them because of Africa's zero quality control culture. building a tire goes beyond black rubber, it is a delicate process that ensures that the rubber must withstand even the most rigorous punishment without exploding.
Denn:

Which company?

You should have said the op should be wary of fake tires.

Re: Price Of New Tyre by fanex: 7:14am On Jan 06, 2015
I wouldn't travel long distance with those tires though. speak to the big interstate transporter they will shed more light one this matter. sounds like a cheaper option but safety from high speed explosion is the reason.
nurey:

How can you talk like this, are you into tire marketing or you did a comprehensive survey.
I bought two brand new tires (double king), and it has never given me probs for month
Re: Price Of New Tyre by Denn(m): 8:40am On Jan 06, 2015
fanex:
its almost impossible to tell a tire is fake so the op stands no chance of knowing. there are few good tire companies in naija but stil i will be skeptical of buying off them because of Africa's zero quality control culture. building a tire goes beyond black rubber, it is a delicate process that ensures that the rubber must withstand even the most rigorous punishment without exploding.

I understand your point but I still believe there are good new tires in Nigeria.

I have not bought a tire in a long while but might do so soon.

I remember buying a new tire sometime Ago and travelled the next day to ilorin. The tyre had a 'pimple' [apologies for lack of the proper word] When I came back and I had to change it when I came back. That experience made me understand that cheaper does not mean better with tires.

Genuine tires are available but expensive. If Goodyear can sell my vehicle tire at almost $200 USD (shipping cost not included) each in far away America, I wonder why I hope on getting the same quality here at N25,000. Which is less than $150 USD.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Price Of New Tyre by Denn(m): 8:42am On Jan 06, 2015
Like engine oil, a good tire is important.

If you can buy a very expensive car, buying quality tires should not be negotiated.

My life is more important than any cost saving.

When you hit that next pot hole, it might be the quality of the tires that determine if you will post on Nairaland the next day

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Price Of New Tyre by Denn(m): 8:50am On Jan 06, 2015
Another point, tokunbo tires are discarded tires... They were discarded for a reason.

Most tokunbo tires with ample thread are snow tires.

I tend to wonder why Nigerians will put on snow tires designed to withstand sub zero temperatures on our blistering hot lagos ibadan express way...

Guys over there usually have two tire sets... One for summer and one for winter... Or maybe all weather tires with snow chains.

Buy good engine oil, buy good tires, do not wire your fans directly, do not remove thermostat, do not ignore check engine warning lamps, do not use snow tires in Nigeria.

The above warnings should be placed on every vehicle sent to Nigeria to remind us.... Just like the sticker in the picture

3 Likes

Re: Price Of New Tyre by nurey(m): 4:21pm On Jan 06, 2015
fanex:
I wouldn't travel long distance with those tires though. speak to the big interstate transporter they will shed more light one this matter. sounds like a cheaper option but safety from high speed explosion is the reason.
When my car was bought I had a lot of issues with tire infact my brother inlaw bought so called tokunbo tires, na still issues so we sourced for two brand new tires for front wheels since that was really delicate on getting to the market (Isale eko tire market) I saw GT radial, dunlop, pirelli etc but one tire struck me it was double king one thing you notice at that place is picnics, sienna, space wagon and yes they were all using that tire and those cars are used to pack loads double their recommended weight so I moved to one of the drivers who used four sets and asked him verdict on the tire, said he has been using for more than a year with no issues.

I have been using it for 5months inflated with 35psi and I have never guaged or topped the pressure if used for long travel it reads 40 to 42 but when cold goes back to 35 the car has done lagos to ilorin several times, mainland to badagry and epe several times, infact an expert (Gazzuzz) recently told me that tire was made with re-enforced wire sometin sometin forgotten. How much did I pay for it #11,000 only.

people go talk say nah chinko, but chinko sef get levels.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Price Of New Tyre by tsiriman(m): 4:57pm On Jan 06, 2015
Last year June i bought 4 Michelin Primacy 3 Tires 225/50 R17 98W for 35k each.

1 Like

Re: Price Of New Tyre by javijabor1(m): 11:18am On Jan 07, 2015
Thank you OP for this post, i'm about to buy new tyres for my ride.

Double King??
Re: Price Of New Tyre by milestonejnr(m): 12:45pm On Jan 07, 2015
You can get brand new linglong tires for 23k... bought mine some weeks back and it has been good so far good
Re: Price Of New Tyre by IdaraCHODB(m): 7:06pm On Jan 08, 2015
Driving in the opposite lane, I watched in horror as the rear right tire of Toyota Sienna 1999/2000 model exploded on the expressway in Abuja, as a result the driver lost control, the vehicle then swerved to the right and the Volkswagen Golf that was driving alongside crashed into it before going headfirst into the street gutter totaling it and imprisoning the driver and front passenger. Within an instant the Sienna had also somersaulted and was now lying on its roof.

The upturned Sienna had as a consequence of the impact with the other vehicle, spilled some of its occupants onto the road, seriously injured them while tangling some in the wreckage of the car including a women whose flesh tore open from the feet almost to the knee cap.

Interestingly, one guy walked out of the entire accident as if nothing had happened when a few good Samaritans found and used a razorblade to free him from the seatbelt he wore, he just dropped and then walked out of the wreck like he was one of us bystanders/rescuers, if you were not told he was involved in the accident, you would not be able to tell. Also, a little girl also escaped with minor injuries to the head, i strongly suspect it was her mother whose injuries I described earlier.

The rest of the occupants of either vehicle either died or were seriously injured, I witnessed two of the occupants of either vehicle give up the ghost minutes later.

If you ever wondered if spending dearly on tires is worth it, the above story and this link should hit the nail on the head: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/auto-blog/how-tires-work-17547347

Tires are one of the most important safety equipment on a car, don't buy cheap and keep checking that they are operating within the recommended parameters.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Price Of New Tyre by deept(m): 6:04am On Jan 20, 2015
Where in Lagos can I get the tyres?

Thanks
Re: Price Of New Tyre by nurey(m): 6:53am On Jan 20, 2015
deept:
Where in Lagos can I get the tyres?

Thanks

I got mine at Isale Eko, around the Area of Oba of Lagos palace lagos island they also sell at lagos international trade fair around ojo side where lasu is situated.
Re: Price Of New Tyre by ivoryhouse(m): 9:27am On Jan 20, 2015
I bought a set of 4 tires about 18months ago at 32.5k each only to discover they are china tyres. I took the tyres for fitting and I hsd to get involved when the two attendants at the fittinf station were arguing whether it should be 78 or 90 psi for a tyre with 35psi rating.. I feel the cause of tyres exploding in Nigeria is mainly due to over inflation. Buy a tyre guage for 2k and be sure, and try and know the correct guage for your automobile.
I also decided to stop buying tires in Nigeria so I order my tyres and for $110usd I get really great tires that will last. That's my 2kobo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Price Of New Tyre by sehawale: 9:27pm On Jun 01, 2015
tsiriman:
Last year June i bought 4 Michelin Primacy 3 Tires 225/50 R17 98W for 35k each.

Trisriman, please where did you buy from? I want to buy exactly same. Also let us know if the tyres are still doing well till date. Thanks
Re: Price Of New Tyre by divinelove(m): 4:32pm On Jun 02, 2015
when ur time don reach even if u r riding on a tire of 1m each, accident will still occur and u will be dead in seconds angry angry whatever tire you use jst ensure it has not expired and pray for safe Journey God dey double king (china) or michelin

6 Likes

Re: Price Of New Tyre by omicron(m): 7:40am On Jun 03, 2015
Let us not give the impression that tire associated road accidents are only a question of tire brands and whether they are new or tokunbor.

Have you not seen Nigerians that inflate their tires to 70psi when the maximum pressure should have been 44psi! I have seen a lot, 50, 60 and 70psi.

For me, that is a more common cause of burst tires.

So, in as much as you buy quality and genuine tires, do not disregard other safety points, and be gentle (doesnt mean slow) while driving.

I have used Double King (11k) for a year now. I have done daily city driving with it and travelled Asaba to Otukpo, Benue thrice, Asaba to Enugu twice and Sapele to Asaba via Benin thrice. I do average 100kmph highway and try not to exceed 120kmph

1 Like

Re: Price Of New Tyre by tsiriman(m): 10:45pm On Jun 04, 2015
sehawale:

Trisriman, please where did you buy from? I want to buy exactly same. Also let us know if the tyres are still doing well till date. Thanks

I bought in Katsina road in kaduna metropolis
Re: Price Of New Tyre by eromspete(m): 2:19pm On Jun 06, 2015
Car tyres have ratings and specifications that should be complied with during selection/purchase. The vehicle manufacturer will state compatible tyre specs on the car manual.

Buying tyres in Nigeria is a very tricky task because of fake products. I'd like to advise that cheap tyres are not usually the safe option. Please do a small study before purchasing tyres and also DO NOT OVER/UNDER INFLATE.

They include but not limited to the following;

- Max inflation pressure
- Max load capacity
- Maximum allowable speed
- Direction of rotation

For example, if a tyre has a code like this on its side - P205/65R15 94H here's what each part means:

‘P’ means it is a passenger tyre
205’ refers to the section width of the tyre when it is properly inflated. The section width is the distance between the tyre's exterior sidewalls.
‘65’ is a percentage describing the tyre's 'aspect ratio'. This ratio relates to the comparison between the tyre's section height and width.
‘R’ stands for radial, which is a common tyre type and relates to its construction type.
‘15’ is the wheel's diameter in inches
‘94’ describes the tyre's load rating, which in this case is 670 kg. This is an index and relates to the maximum load that a tyre can carry at its maximum speed capability
‘H’ is a code for the speed rating and in this case it means it is rated to travel at 210 km/h, when carrying a maximum load of 670 kg

4 Likes

Re: Price Of New Tyre by plendil: 6:57pm On Jun 07, 2015
omicron:
Let us not give the impression that tire associated road accidents are only a question of tire brands and whether they are new or tokunbor.

Have you not seen Nigerians that inflate their tires to 70psi when the maximum pressure should have been 44psi! I have seen a lot, 50, 60 and 70psi.

For me, that is a more common cause of burst tires.

So, in as much as you buy quality and genuine tires, do not disregard other safety points, and be gentle (doesnt mean slow) while driving.

I have used Double King (11k) for a year now. I have done daily city driving with it and travelled Asaba to Otukpo, Benue thrice, Asaba to Enugu twice and Sapele to Asaba via Benin thrice. I do average 100kmph highway and try not to exceed 120kmph

quite right. I bought my Chinko "Boto" from Michelin for just 9k and have been using it for more than a year now, and yes, I do quite a lot of travelling. The issue of over inflation is a serious problem in these parts

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Price Of New Tyre by jossytech(m): 9:57am On Oct 29, 2015
I use Yokohama, d Japanese brand n continental n have reach 160-180km on my camry, all tyre has speed limit n psi is 35, t, v are 118m limit while some are above, check details o ln ur tyre n speed accordingly only on good dual carriageway high way
Re: Price Of New Tyre by mejai(m): 4:26pm On Dec 09, 2015
I once bought a new tyre and after some weeks, I had a flat tyre. the cause? a piece of broken glass dat shouldn't have done such. it's sad.
Re: Price Of New Tyre by sherbol: 9:33am On Dec 10, 2015
plz i nid d hse advice on tyres. i ve a toyota camry 02 with follow com tires 205/65R15. i nid tyres dat will raise d car a bit to avoid contact with d ground. plz also advice on d brand of tyre i can buy.
tanks
Re: Price Of New Tyre by ayokenny37(m): 10:06am On Dec 10, 2015
GUY getting bigger tyres is not the solution. get a good mechanic to raise the back of ur car.

quote author=sherbol post=40864393]plz i nid d hse advice on tyres. i ve a toyota camry 02 with follow com tires 205/65R15. i nid tyres dat will raise d car a bit to avoid contact with d ground. plz also advice on d brand of tyre i can buy.
tanks[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Price Of New Tyre by baconline(m): 9:56am On Dec 11, 2015
Chinko tyre is a hundred times better than Tokunbo, do not smell a Tokunbo tyre ever. If you must buy tokumbo then look for light truck or LT
Re: Price Of New Tyre by zdi77(m): 12:27am On Aug 04, 2017
see this link https://www.oduaki.com/117-tyres-rim you will get good tyres there
Re: Price Of New Tyre by omakay(m): 12:57am On Aug 04, 2017
Guys, whats your view on this?

I changed the tyres of a toyota camry 2001 model (drop light) from the regular P205/65/R15 to P215/65/R15.

It was also gauged at 40psi.

This act improved the height of the vehicle though. But i would like to hear from the house as regards remarks and suggestions.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Only Correct Way To Drive In Lagos State / Post Your Current Car Picture. / 15 Annoying Things Our Neighbours Do With Their Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.