Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,720 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:57 PM

Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings (41706 Views)

Amaechi: Govs Asked Jonathan To Share Oil Savings Because He Was Mismanaging It / Amaechi Accuses Wike Of Squandering Over N40bn In Few Months / Why Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan – Fani-kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings by ElRey01: 5:29pm On Jan 05, 2015
Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has again launched a public attack on President Goodluck Jonathan, accusing him of squandering $25billion crude oil savings left behind by his administration.

Mr. Obasanjo made the allegation while hosting the South-West women leaders at his residence in Abeokuta Monday.
He said his administration left over $25 billion to his successor, Musa Yar’adua, who raised the sum to $35 billion.

Mr. Obasanjo said he also left $40billion in Nigeria’s foreign reserve account after paying the outstanding debt at the time.

He said former President Yar’adua also raised the reserves to $60billion.

Under President Jonathan, the reserves has plummeted to $40billion, Mr. Obasanjo said.

The new claims followed a series of public denunciation of Mr. Jonathan’s government by the former president.

In 2014, Mr. Obasanjo repeatedly lambasted the current government, accusing the president of promoting and tolerating corruption, and failing to provide security for Nigerians.

Mr. Obasanjo also released a book mid-December scolding the president as a self-centred politician who thinks less of the country and fraternises with corrupt and questionable characters.

In his comments on Monday, Mr. Obasanjo said he was not fighting the president, nor was Mr. Jonathan fighting him. He said he was more concerned about the interest of the country, and therefore cared less about criticisms.

“Our economy should not have been this bad. When I was leaving office about eight years ago, I left a very huge reserve after we had paid all our debts. Almost $25billion we kept in what they called excess crude. The excess from the budget we were saving as reserve for the rainy days. When we left in May 2007, the reserve was said to have been raised to $35billion,” he said.

“But today, that reserve has been depleted! Today, that reserve has been depleted. The reserve we left when we finished paying all our debts, our debts that was about 40billion dollars, that is including debt forgiveness, the remaining debt was not more than $3billion. Our reserve after we had paid off this debt was about $45billion. As I said, they continued till the end of 2007, I heard that the reserve increased to almost $67billion before the end of the year. Our reserve now, learnt is left with around only $30billion.

“That is why the Naira has been falling against the dollar. What would now happen, I learnt if you want to buy a dollar now, it’s about N192 or N195. What it means is this, what you have been buying at N150 to a dollar, now you need N192 or N195 to buy it. That is the real situation. Is there any remedy? There is, but it does not come overnight because it means we have to give up all the bad things we have been doing,” Mr. Obasanjo said.

“I know that God did not create Nigeria not to be rich or great. Is it that the people he created in Nigeria are not knowledgeable enough or not intelligent enough? Or is that they don’t know their rights? Our problems in Nigeria, let’s look at the foundation of our leadership. In the profession I know very well, the military, what we normally say is that there are no bad soldiers but bad officers. If you see a situation where the soldiers are not doing well, we need to examine the officers in charge. So it is in the family, the community, the town and the country,” he said.

He denied being against President Jonathan.

“I have no grudges against Jonathan and I think Jonathan equally has no grudges against me. I’m not quarrelling with Jonathan but all I know is that whatever is good for Nigeria, that I’m ready to die for,” he said.

“I emphasize that whatever is good for Nigeria, is what I’m ready to defend with my life. Whoever, I emphasize, whoever says he would not do anything good to Nigeria, even if he says he’s ready to go ‘konko below’, I’m ready to square it up with such a person. I say again, whoever that person may be, I want you to get that correctly. If this country is going to change for the better, it would start from the top and if it’s going to be otherwise, it would start from the top, too,” the former president stressed.

On the forthcoming election, Mr. Obasanjo said he’s not apprehensive as being speculated, just as he advised the electorates to vote for candidates with integrity and good records.

“I have no apprehension over this coming elections. I have no fears over the forthcoming elections. I have had some little experience about this country. I was a military head of state and I was also a civilian president, so what is left?’

“So, if I talk, I know what I’m saying. Whoever wants, should listen to me and whoever feels otherwise, may turn a deaf ear. But when I’m talking, I’m talking with my understanding and intellect. I’m drawing from my experience and from what I’ve learnt with others and from other countries and fellow eminent citizens of the world that I relate with. But leave all of that.

“Good governance comes from voting, from selection of leaders. It is now left to you to decide who you cast your vote for because if you throw away your votes and tomorrow you are saying good governance, once you throw away your votes you have lost out. That is one. Find out the track records of achievements of those you want to vote for. What have they achieved in the past and not what they have said’.

“Truly, the price of crude has fallen, but anyone who is wise enough should know that since we depend on just one resources, and since we have no control over its pricing, we should be planning for this type of situation and the way out of it. Our inability to have reserve has brought us into this economic quagmire,” he said.

Earlier in her speech, the Iyalode of Yorubaland, who led the women, noted that President Obasanjo has become a good repository of everything that makes for nationhood.

“You are the hand and eye in all the nooks and crannies of Nigeria. You are the voice everybody is waiting to hear his response on any topical issue in the public domain. We believe we are in the right place to discuss with you some knotty issues bleeding our hearts as we have seen you as a beacon of hope and lights for the nation”, Ms. Lawson told Obasanjo.

On state of the nation, the women said they were concerned about current happenings in the country, going by the current atmosphere of fear and uncertainty.

She said the nation is plagued by insecurity, economic downturn, poverty, corruption, among other challenges.

“The unabated nefarious activities of the insurgents which have placed us as a people on the throes of war is worrisome to us, because womenfolk is the most affected. Countless Nigerian women have lost their lives, husbands, children, relatives and sources of livelihood as a result of the despicable acts of killing and wanton destruction by the Boko Haram insurgents,” she said.
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/174294-obasanjo-attacks-jonathan-accuses-president-squandering-oil-savings.html

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings by Elslim: 5:34pm On Jan 05, 2015
Baba don taya for hm pickin, Jona Tan (born finish) is finished!
Sai Buhari
NEXT

223 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings by FastShipping: 5:41pm On Jan 05, 2015
Obasanjo was the architect of our country's problem. He saw an honest man in Buhari but went for Yar'Adua and a dunce od vice president called Jonathan who later ascend to the throne after the demise of Yar'Adua.

Obasanjo should go and sit down in one corner.

108 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings by ziccoit: 5:49pm On Jan 05, 2015
Honestly GEJ misdemeanor in power has overshadowed whatever evils OBJ might have committed during his time.

253 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jan 05, 2015
watching this drama in 3D
**modified** I think someone is using the money to learn English.

12 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings by wise7(m): 5:55pm On Jan 05, 2015
i guess when some feeds you,you should twist the finger and not bite

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings by abdulahi001: 5:56pm On Jan 05, 2015
Hmnn!!!
Re: Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings by laimo(m): 5:59pm On Jan 05, 2015
Jonathan has finished Nigeria.
That's the summary of OBJ's statement.

Let's Vote.

185 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings by laimo(m): 6:00pm On Jan 05, 2015
Jonathan has finished Nigeria.
That's the summary of OBJ's statement.

Let's Vote. Change!

106 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings by Zeezy99: 6:03pm On Jan 05, 2015
The gods and the devils seems to have agreed to work together to make sure GEJ never wins in 2015.

85 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings by Alphaoscar: 6:07pm On Jan 05, 2015
Enough is enough!!! Gej must go back to Otuoke forever in 2015!!!

Sai Buhari.

196 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings by SweetJoystick(m): 6:13pm On Jan 05, 2015
GEJ nefa see anything grin

69 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings by petrov10: 6:16pm On Jan 05, 2015
General obasanjo still showing his ugly face

13 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings by coolhamid(m): 6:17pm On Jan 05, 2015
Though we would all agree that Jonathan has failed us but obasanjo imposed him on us .He has no right to blame Jonathan .

20 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings by dridowu: 6:19pm On Jan 05, 2015
All is well with my country.
Feb 14 2015
Change must be activated

85 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings by ZACHIE: 6:24pm On Jan 05, 2015
FFK of old. 2013, precisely

``The charge that our foreign reserves were heavily depleted between 2007 and 2013 cannot be convincingly or logically denied. In 2007, President Olusegun Obasanjo left $45 billion in our foreign reserves and $22 billion in our Excess Crude Account. If the two figures are added up the amount that you will come up with is $67 billion of savings for our country. This is the figure that Obiageli Ezekwesili cited. It represents what was in both our foreign reserves and our Excess Crude Account put together.

`Worse still this was after it had plummeted to a shameful $30 billion under late President Umaru Yar’Adua. Had it not been for the fact that whatever was coming in after we left in 2007 and over the last 4 years was being recklessly shared and spent by the Yar’Adua and later Jonathan administrations our foreign reserves ought to have doubled and reached at least $100 billion dollars by now. That is just the foreign reserves alone and I am not even adding the Excess Crude Account figures yet. If I were to do that I would be talking about an expected increase of up to $150 billion by today. That is what we ought to have in the savings kitty today if the two governments that succeeded Obasanjo knew anything about prudence, good management and fiscal discipline.

```The difference is that under Obasanjo it was ”save, save, save” whilst under Yar’Adua and later Jonathan it has been ”spend, spend, spend’. Yet if they insist on spending the question is what do they have to show for such high expenditure and what has this cost the Nigerian people in real terms. I believe that these are legitimate questions.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/opinion/118037-oby-ezekwesili-president-jonathan-and-the-67bn-question-by-femi-fani-kayode.html

Fastforward 2015, FFK has eaten up all his words and is now kissing the stinking azzes of looters and pillagers.

154 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings by Brightology2(m): 6:32pm On Jan 05, 2015
Baba iyabor u're d major prob of dis country,y nt relax in ur farm there or u 4gotten dat u were d 1 dat solve d maths dat brought jonathan 2 power? Instead looking 4 a solution,u started ur blame game.

6 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings by darkroses(m): 6:33pm On Jan 05, 2015
A word is enough 4 a wise

6 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings by huptin(m): 6:35pm On Jan 05, 2015
A lot of questions need to be asked about how a country can save $67Billion dollars and pay up its debts when Oil price was hovering around $30 to $75, but the country's reserve suddenly got depleted to about $40Billion when the price of oil was selling far above $100 per barrel yet we have borrowed more without any corresponding major infrastructure to show for it. GEJ's economic managers have a lot of explaining to do.

136 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings by Montaque(m): 6:36pm On Jan 05, 2015
Obj spoke like how our religious leaders would have spoken.
That's patriotism.

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings by DIVINE78: 6:38pm On Jan 05, 2015
Jonathan don't sayo with our money. No be better sayo sef. Na monkey tail.

17 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings by omowolewa: 6:40pm On Jan 05, 2015
Heay yeah!
Re: Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings by harthonder(m): 6:52pm On Jan 05, 2015
With All His PhD

1. Buhari actually took over power from
Shagari because his administration was
very corrupt. It was full of financially
mismanagement and corruption. 2.
When Buhari was in power, many
corrupt politicians were arrested and sent to jail for their financial crimes.
Infact people with questionable wealth
were unable to show it off for fear of
being arrested like we have today. 3. He
introduced war against indiscipline.
Students were in their classrooms, workers dare not come to work late,
people were not allowed to litter the
streets with dirts, etc. 4. He introduced
the famous environmental sanitation
that we have today. 5. We have no
external debt during buhari, infact he paid all our debts to zero. 6. Inflation
came down from 23% percent to 5%
during the time of Buhari. 7. Our naira
was so strong and it could compete
internationally with pounds and dollars.
8. He built 3 refineries in Kaduna, Warri and Portharcourt. 9. He created 20 oil
depots when he was in PDTF. 10. Under
PDTF, he constructed more roads than
the Nigerian government in the past 15
years. 11. While under PDTF, he
supplied text books to schools and drugs to hospitals. 12. He was the first
head of state to allow women in his
administration. He even discovered
Dora Akinyuli. 13. He has no foreign
account or houses abroad. 14. He has
just 2 houses, one in Kaduna and one in his home town. 15. He was never
convicted of any financial crime and
when he was in PDTF, he never
collected any salary
because he was already collecting his
pension. 16. He stood against IMF and the World Bank when he was asked to
devaluate the naira. This was because
naira could be spent abroad and also
competing with dollar and that coming
from an African nation, he was hated by
the west. 17. Concerning religion, his cook and driver are Christians. So what
more do u need to trust and vote for
this man except if you are seeing
religion and tribe. Now for President
Jonathan. What did he achieve? He
painted the Airports abi? What about the history of corruption in his
administration? No single corrupt
politician has been prosecuted during
Jonathan. We have the case of the
aviation minister, what happened?
It was swept under the carpet. What about the case of Faruq and Otedola
Swept under the carpet. What about the
police pension embezzlement? Swept
under the carpet. What about the
20billion dollar case? No public debate
till date. Instead swept under the carpet. He is first head of state to buy
about 10 private jets and the first head
of state to budget 1billion naira for
food. What a record breaker. He even
diverted funds of 1million dollar meant
for bayelsa into entertainment. Remember the case of Beyonce? He
claimed to have reduce poverty by 50%
but analysts are saying its just 5%.
Youths are unemployed, electricity is
worse than ever. Infact, im typing this
using generator. What more do u want? I can go on and on. The facts speak for
itself. Vote wisely

80 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jan 05, 2015
Stealing is not an act of corruption now

GMB still patience jonathan sabi speak english wella

30 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings by obi4eze(m): 6:53pm On Jan 05, 2015
This is the cluelessness, incompetence and ineptitude we have been talking about.
Fellow Nigerians, we will pay dearly if we allow this man another four-year term.

Let's kick GEJ out with our votes.
#Change is imminent.
#BuhariOsinbajo

58 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings by LRNZH(m): 6:57pm On Jan 05, 2015
Isn't what OBJ saying obvious?

Subsidy is now at 97kobo per liter of PMS and yet they cant remove subsidy because they're stealing from it.

They're increasing taxes.

They're taking more loans.

Abeg GMB for a robust Foreign Reserve.

77 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings by austinvsb1(m): 7:12pm On Jan 05, 2015
coolhamid:
Though we would all agree that Jonathan has failed us but obasanjo imposed him on us .He has no right to blame Jonathan .

Obj didn't impose anybody. All he did was give his unrivaled support to GEJ while he contested. We the electorates decided with our votes. Our president (current) is not the only government official in the world to have had a godfather root for him, Tinubu gave us fashola.

The real offense here is failing to live up to the very huge expectations of Nigerians. He has failed to secure our lives and properties and given our foods to the dogs while feeding us with bones. You can't blame obj for his failure. No one can be blamed for his cluelessness.

Now that everyone sees GEJ for what he is, 'a failure', his 2011 supporters and fans including myself are left with nothing but the choice to correct the mistakes we made back then. That is what obj is trying to do. He didn't expect this level of incompetence, no one did.

107 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings by makzeze: 7:13pm On Jan 05, 2015
All I can say is:
Vote Buhari/Osinbajo come Feb 14 2015.

57 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings by makzeze: 7:14pm On Jan 05, 2015
Jonathan dreamt yesterday.
Just hearing- Buhari!Buhari! Buhari as votes were counted in February election, he now called Reuben Abati and Doyin Okupe to start packing
his properties to Otuoke Bayelsa state.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jan 05, 2015
What do we expect from a stealing is not corruption government?

28 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Attacks Jonathan Again, Accuses President Of Squandering Oil Savings by coolhamid(m): 7:44pm On Jan 05, 2015
austinvsb1:

Obj didn't impose anybody. All he did was give his unrivaled support to GEJ while he contested. We the electorates decided with our votes. Our president (current) is not the only government official in the world to have had a godfather root for him, Tinubu gave us fashola.

The real offense here is failing to live up to the very huge expectations from Nigerians. He has failed to secure our lives and properties and given our foods to the dogs while feeding us with bones. You can't blame obj for his failure. No one can be blamed for his cluelessness.

Now that everyone sees GEJ for what he is, 'a failure', his 2011 supporters and fans including myself are left with nothing but the choice to correct the mistakes we made back then. That is what obj is trying to do. He didn't expect this level of incompetence, no one did.
U have a point Austin... OBJ helped him to secure a job but GEJ failed to live up to expectation... But U and I know that OBJ also have to share in the blame for Giving us YARADUA/GEJ..

18 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Kogi West Rerun: Smart Adeyemi Extends Lead / Akwa Ibom Residents Celebrate Umana Over Appeal Court Ruling / “Endless Alleluia!” – Joe Igbokwe Praises God Over Nnamdi Kanu’s Arrest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.