Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,398 members, 7,808,430 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:49 AM

What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. (2806 Views)

Is Atheism The Way? I Am Searching For Answers / From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony / Atheism : The Actual Fulfillment Of This Prophecy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by Nobody: 10:34am On Jan 06, 2015
Those who know me personally (especially those who knew me 3-2 years back) can't stop to wonder how I, the once chivalrious youth who defended and preached the gospel as though I had been told that the rapture was the next minute, would suddenly become an Atheist.

Even if I took a time travel back to inform the ME of 3-2 years ago that I'd eventually lose faith in the Jewish Deity, I would've given 'ME' a hot slap.

The current and incessant inquiry I keep getting from my friends and family is "What changed you? What took you away from God?"

I must say, I've lost a huge number of my friends due to this and sadly, won't be getting them back any time soon but I will not pretend to believe in what is proven to be outrightly false and ridiculous just because I wish to keep my friends. How long will it last?

It's only my true friends (some of whom are Muslims, Christians, Agnostics, Atheists, Trad, e.t.c) that I have left.

So, back to the reason for the thread, WHY did I lose faith in the Jewish Deity? What triggered that effontery? cool

Admittedly, it was really hard thinking back to where it all started. I mean, I didn't give it much thought until recently when I got an eureka moment after viewing one of my old Facebook profiles and viewed all my messages (old and lost) before stumbling upon that wonderful conversation. It was filled with familiar questions that I believe at least 90% of Christians have [at one point] had troubles answering but shoved aside.

1.) "Where did Cain get a Wife?"

My reply [as most honest Christian replies would be] was: "I dunno, but I believe God must have created them (the nations he went to) aside for him or perhaps, the people of those nations were also descendants of Adam"

Then he threw some Nagasaki bombshells: "If they were created aside, that is to say, not born of Adam who is purported to be the Father of mankind, why is the Adamic Curse such as Death, Labour pain, e.t.c equally binding on them as well since they neither tasted the forbidden fruit nor were they born of Adam (thus inheriting the sin and the curse)??

And if they were indeed Adam's Descendants, does it mean that during Adam's lifetime he was able to give birth to nations and Cain, being the first son, witnessed this happening and was still a marriable youth when they had grown to marriable ages (since he went to get a wife from from a people he watched grow)

And yes, does it mean that the world was populated by the means of in-cest??!"

2.) Lastly, you want me to believe that in the course of Human history; which your Bible says is just 6000 years ago, over 75 Billion People descended from just two Humans

Think about it

Oh boy, that was evidently too much for me but I made it appear as though it was nothing (most Christians do that) so I shoved it aside and gave him the "God works in mysterious ways" kind of answer. But deep down, I knew it made absolutely no sense at all; it was too absurd to come from an All-Knowing God.

I traced that conversion to have been the start of my journey out of the age-old delusion.

1 Like

Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by Nobody: 10:42am On Jan 06, 2015
and you have chosen the wrong part

1 Like

Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by tonnieblaise(m): 10:42am On Jan 06, 2015
**clears throat**....so o what do you want us to do now?

2 Likes

Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by Nobody: 10:48am On Jan 06, 2015
Have a chat with a real Jehova Witness and you'd get the answers to these questions. Trust me.
Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by malvisguy212: 10:55am On Jan 06, 2015
I copy the answer I reply to an atheist, about Cain and hia wife;

it's a choice,you love God or you Reject
Him,concerning the wife of cain;bible
does not specifically say it only cain and
abel was the son of adam,. Although Cain does seem to be the firstborn, the text is not clear that Abel was the second born, but only that he was the second son. Later, the narrative indicates that Adam and Eve produced "other sons and daughters." So, it is possible that Adam and Eve
produced daughters between the births
of Cain and Abel. It is also likely that others sons and daughters
were produced after the birth of Abel.
We don't know how old Cain and Abel
were when Cain murdered his brother,
but they seem to be at least young
adults, since they are both engage in a
trade. for their living.
Although the period of time between the birth of Cain and the death of Abel is not given in the Bible, it would seem that this period was probably over 100 years, since the birth of Adam's next son, Seth is said to have occurred when Adam was 130 years old. Adam and Eve could have produced many daughters during that period of time.
It is possible cain would have marry one
of this sister, the law of incest was not giving meaning it not a theological problems, Paul say''as long as there is no law there is no violation of law or sin.

Adam and his children does not have genetic defeat in them because they are in a state of perfection
Adam,eve,methusalah, Cain,Noah ,seth, all died at a goog old age around 900years upwards because they are in a perfection,but when there genetic defeat started, Abraham,Isaac,Jacob and Moses died below 200,infacte it was the time of Moses God oder him to number isreal and each man with his family after that God gave the law of incest.
Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by spacyzuma(m): 10:55am On Jan 06, 2015
This is gonna be interesting. I'm curious to read the rest of Reiyvinn's story.
Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by Hiswordxray(m): 10:55am On Jan 06, 2015
I'm just wondering, why did you write this post?

To me, no amount of Bible contradictions or inaccuracies can annul my encounter with God.

When you don't know somebody and all you have is a written book about him there is a high tendency to disbelieve his existence. But how can you meet a person and still believe he doesn't exist.
Tell me that God doesn't exist is like saying the father who gave birth to you, took care of you, watch you grow up does not exist. It absolutely ridiculous.

How can you see, touch, feel, hear and know somebody and yet still believe he doesn't exist because a book written about him is inaccurate.

Your problem my friend is that you didn't know God, all you knew was the Bible.
It a pity. I grieve for you my friend.

3 Likes

Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by Nobody: 10:56am On Jan 06, 2015
lilmaxfidel:
and you have chosen the wrong part

The last time I checked, there are over 4200 "paths" (or religious beliefs) and mathematically speaking, chosing the right path will be 1/4200. (Even worse than "baba ijebu" premium lotto)

Furthermore, if there was a god out there who wants humans to worship only him/her/it and disregard the over 1 Millions god of many other religions, that god would have to come out with significantly irrefutable proof of his/her/its existence rather than leave humans to kill themselves and each other over books written by scientifically and intellectually fact-deficient Stone Age goat rearers. cool

6 Likes

Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by Nobody: 11:09am On Jan 06, 2015
No10:
Have a chat with a real Jehova Witness and you'd get the answers to these questions. Trust me.

That's the same response I get from JWs I meet online. I didn't tell you that I have 3 Uncles who were one Rank-and-File and two Elders.

I have had discussions with lots of them on this topic and of course, added nothing but more salt to the wound.

There's alot you don't know about what you believe in and the Watchtower Organization will do everything in their power to make sure you don't find out.

Recommended reads: JWFacts, SilentLambs, [url=http=http://jwsurvey.org]JWSurvey[/url] and Watchtower Quotes (I know you won't even dare click them, you're programmed to run away from them so never mind)

2 Likes

Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by undercat: 11:12am On Jan 06, 2015
You're being a little too hasty here.

There are religions other than christianity. Non christian does not equal atheist, you know. If you reject YHWH, what about the other forms of God? Your bible based objections certainly don't apply to them. If these are the only objections you have, I'm afraid you are not atheist.

And how sure are you that atheism is not the delusion? You know that once you admit to the possibility that God exists, you admit that you might be wrong, at the very least. At most, you would have conceded that God exists, according to one nasty variant of the ontological argument.

The issue of whether Adam and Eve could have populated the earth in 6000 years was recently raised on here, and it was discovered that they can, mathematically. Assuming that they have two children who both go on to have two chlidren each who also go on to have two children each, and assuming they do this every 30 years, then in 6000 years the offspring of Adam and Eve would have become 2^200, which is probably enough to populate even Jupiter.

This is why you need more objections.

Reiyvinn:
Those who know me personally (especially those who knew me 3-2 years back) can't stop to wonder how I, the once chivalrious youth who defended and preached the gospel as though I had been told that the rapture was the next minute, would suddenly become an Atheist.

Even if I took a time travel back to inform the ME of 3-2 years ago that I'd eventually lose faith in the Jewish Deity, I would've given 'ME' a hot slap.

The current and incessant inquiry I keep getting from my friends and family is "What changed you? What took you away from God?"

I must say, I've lost a huge number of my friends due to this and sadly, won't be getting them back any time soon but I will not pretend to believe in what is proven to be outrightly false and ridiculous just because I wish to keep my friends. How long will it last?

It's only my true friends (some of whom are Muslims, Christians, Agnostics, Atheists, Trad, e.t.c) that I have left.

So, back to the reason for the thread, WHY did I lose faith in the Jewish Deity? What triggered that effontery? cool

Admittedly, it was really hard thinking back to where it all started. I mean, I didn't give it much thought until recently when I got an eureka moment after viewing one of my old Facebook profiles and viewed all my messages (old and lost) before stumbling upon that wonderful conversation. It was filled with familiar questions that I believe at least 90% of Christians have [at one point] had troubles answering but shoved aside.

1.) "Where did Cain get a Wife?"

My reply [as most honest Christian replies would be] was: "I dunno, but I believe God must have created them (the nations he went to) aside for him or perhaps, the people of those nations were also descendants of Adam"

Then he threw some Nagasaki bombshells: "If they were created aside, that is to say, not born of Adam who is purported to be the Father of mankind, why is the Adamic Curse such as Death, Labour pain, e.t.c equally binding on them as well since they neither tasted the forbidden fruit nor were they born of Adam (thus inheriting the sin and the curse)??

And if they were indeed Adam's Descendants, does it mean that during Adam's lifetime he was able to give birth to nations and Cain, being the first son, witnessed this happening and was still a marriable youth when they had grown to marriable ages (since he went to get a wife from from a people he watched grow)

And yes, does it mean that the world was populated by the means of in-cest??!"

2.) Lastly, you want me to believe that in the course of Human history; which your Bible says is just 6000 years ago, over 75 Billion People descended from just two Humans

Think about it

Oh boy, that was evidently too much for me but I made it appear as though it was nothing (most Christians do that) so I shoved it aside and gave him the "God works in mysterious ways" kind of answer. But deep down, I knew it made absolutely no sense at all; it was too absurd to come from an All-Knowing God.

I traced that conversion to have been the start of my journey out of the age-old delusion.

1 Like

Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by Busybody2(f): 11:14am On Jan 06, 2015
Hiswordxray:

To me, no amount of Bible contradictions or inaccuracies can annul my encounter with God.

When you don't know somebody and all you have is a written book about him there is a high tendency to disbelieve his existence. But how can you meet a person and still believe he doesn't exist.
Tell me that God doesn't exist is like saying the father who gave birth to you, took care of you, watch you grow up does not exist. It absolutely ridiculous.

How can you see, touch, feel, hear and know somebody and yet still believe he doesn't exist because a book written about him is inaccurate.

To answer your query in bold - it's because they need a hand behind their back to gently guide then and steer them in the right direction.

So you are on the right path by telling Mr Reiyvinn that God is not just an entity in the Bible alone so he should desire a personal encounter with him

2 Likes

Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by Nobody: 11:17am On Jan 06, 2015
Hiswordxray:

But you'd cry "foul!" when a Muslim, Buddhist and Hindi tell you the same about his/her encounter with his/her God(s). Sounds legit! grin

Same as above. I believe Buddhist shouldn't be wrong in saying that Buddha is the Almighty God of the Universe, right?

Now that's absolutely ridiculous! grin

Tell me, how does God fell? Is he soft or hard? Is he light skinned or dark? Pleeease!

2 Likes

Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by Nobody: 11:18am On Jan 06, 2015
Reiyvinn:

Recommended reads: JWFacts, SilentLambs, [url=http=http://jwsurvey.org]JWSurvey[/url] and Watchtower Quotes (I know you won't even dare click them, you're programmed to run away from them so never mind)
. Hahahhaha. What makes u think I won't? . Am not a witness btw,jst love their articles and the way they seem to have answers to some of these questions. I'd certainly click those links.
Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by Hiswordxray(m): 11:30am On Jan 06, 2015
Reiyvinn:

But you'd cry "foul!" when a Muslim, Buddhist and Hindi tell you the same about his/her encounter with his/her God(s). Sounds legit! grin

Same as above. I believe Buddhist shouldn't be wrong in saying that Buddha is the Almighty God of the Universe, right?

Now that's absolutely ridiculous! grin

Tell me, how does God fell? Is he soft or hard? Is he light skinned or dark? Pleeease!
I won't cry foul if a person of another religion claim the same thing. I would simply tell them my God is the Almighty not theirs and if they argue then we can go into a contest to prove which God is stronger.

But anyway, you can believe what you want to believe. I just want you to know that the God you claim does not exist is my friend and we walk together.

Just because you didn't see something doesn't mean it does not exist. You can't claim to have seen everything that exist in this world but you can choose to believe what you want.

1 Like

Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by johnydon22(m): 11:43am On Jan 06, 2015
Hiswordxray:

I won't cry foul if a person of another religion claim the same thing. I would simply tell them my God is the Almighty not theirs and if they argue then we can go into a contest to prove which God is stronger.

But anyway, you can believe what you want to believe. I just want you to know that the God you claim does not exist is my friend and we walk together.

Just because you didn't see something doesn't mean it does not exist. You can't claim to have seen everything that exist in this world but you can choose to believe what you want.
And how did you know yours is the almighty and not theirs? This is what the op means ever religion think theirs is the almighty and they all claim to have a personal encounter with this their friend and walk with him.(whatever that means)
Anyways no emotional strings attached or sentiments... am just pointing out a few points for you! carry on bro grin

4 Likes

Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by Nobody: 11:45am On Jan 06, 2015
undercat:

There are religions other than christianity. Non christian does not equal atheist, you know. If you reject YHWH, what about the other forms of God? Your bible based objections certainly don't apply to them. If these are the only objections you have, I'm afraid you are not atheist.

And how sure are you that atheism is not the delusion? You know that once you admit to the possibility that God exists, you admit that you might be wrong, at the very least. At most, you would have conceded that God exists, according to one nasty variant of the ontological argument.

The issue of whether Adam and Eve could have populated the earth in 6000 years was recently raised on here, and it was discovered that they can, mathematically. Assuming that they have two children who both go on to have two chlidren each who also go on to have two children each, and assuming they do this every 30 years, then in 6000 years the offspring of Adam and Eve would have become 2^200, which is probably enough to populate even Jupiter.

I didn't say this was the sole reason for my Atheism. I said this was the kick-starter.

The seed of doubt planted gave me the effontery to research into Theism in general. Remember I said this was 3 to 2 years ago. Alot can happen within that time.

However, I'm even considering being a Pastafarian. I'd rather worship the Flying Spaghetti Monster than love a god that kills innocent children just to prove a point; I'm to humane for that! (fortunately, such a god only exists in books and minds, not in reality: i.e. A fairy-tale)
Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by Weah96: 11:57am On Jan 06, 2015
Mary told her boyfriend that she was impregnated by God. And the nigga believed it, because he allegedly had a dream and God spoke to him in the dream. That was the one that I couldn't overlook. It made me realize that whoever wrote the book expected a sheep like audience. How can married men believe that rubbish story?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by spacyzuma(m): 11:58am On Jan 06, 2015
Reiyvinn:

However, I'm even considering being a Pastafarian. I'd rather worship the Flying Spaghetti Monster than love a god that kills innocent children just to prove a point; I'm to humane for that! (fortunately, such a god only exists in books and minds, not in reality: i.e. A fairy-tale)

hahaha.

I'm agnostic, but I am kinda a fan of the Invisible Pink Unicorn: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible_Pink_Unicorn
"Invisible Pink Unicorns are beings of great spiritual power. We know this because they are capable of being invisible and pink at the same time. Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them." — Steve Eley

I believe all religion is man-made. Created to explain the things in their environment that they did not understand. And somehow, some smarter people used religion and idea of all-powerful, invisible deities to control and manipulate people around them. And somehow, it got out of control. cheesy
I mean, I just had to research the history of Invisible Pink Unicorn, or Scientology, or Mormons (Latter Day Saints) or some Nigerian churches to realize this. One common factor is that they are all founded by one/few strong persons with larger-than-normal charisma with a lust/desire for power/control over other people.

2 Likes

Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by johnydon22(m): 11:58am On Jan 06, 2015
Reiyvinn:

I didn't say this was the sole reason for my Atheism. I said this was the kick-starter.

The seed of doubt planted gave me the effontery to research into Theism in general. Remember I said this was 3 to 2 years ago. Alot can happen within that time.

Hahahahahahaha pastafarian atleast u will be worshipping something u can eat...spaghetti... hahahahahahaha cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by Nobody: 12:04pm On Jan 06, 2015
malvisguy212:
I copy the answer I reply to an atheist, about Cain and hia wife;

it's a choice,you love God or you Reject
Him,concerning the wife of cain;bible
does not specifically say it only cain and
abel was the son of adam,. Although Cain does seem to be the firstborn, the text is not clear that Abel was the second born, but only that he was the second son. Later, the narrative indicates that Adam and Eve produced "other sons and daughters." So, it is possible that Adam and Eve
produced daughters between the births
of Cain and Abel. It is also likely that others sons and daughters
were produced after the birth of Abel.
We don't know how old Cain and Abel
were when Cain murdered his brother,
but they seem to be at least young
adults, since they are both engage in a
trade. for their living.
Although the period of time between the birth of Cain and the death of Abel is not given in the Bible, it would seem that this period was probably over 100 years, since the birth of Adam's next son, Seth is said to have occurred when Adam was 130 years old. Adam and Eve could have produced many daughters during that period of time.
It is possible cain would have marry one
of this sister . . .

Now here is the problem. God exiled Cain to NATIONS!!

To purport that Adam and Eve could've produced Nations between Cain and Abel would make it even weirder. Do you know how many years it takes to raise such multitude? Hey. How old would Cain be by then-- even to the point of being able to till the ground!? Think again, dude. It's obvious the writers of that account were presenting Cain and Abel as the first two children of Adam before any other.

Furthermore, why would the Children between Cain and Abel be sent away from their family to make up a Nation (or Nations) elsewhere?

Have you forgotten that according to that same account, when Yahweh cursed Cain, he placed a mark on his; an identifying mark to the Nations so that he doesn't get killed when seen?? Does that sound like Cain being sent to his distant Family members

. . .the law of incest was not giving meaning it not a theological problems, Paul say''as long as there is no law there is no violation of law or sin.

Adam and his children does not have genetic defeat in them because they are in a state of perfection
Adam,eve,methusalah, Cain,Noah ,seth, all died at a goog old age around 900years upwards because they are in a perfection,but when there genetic defeat started, Abraham,Isaac,Jacob and Moses died below 200,infacte it was the time of Moses God oder him to number isreal and each man with his family after that God gave the law of incest.

That's laughable at all levels because if every human that exists is a descendant of Adam and Eve, there will forever be in-cest.

Regarding Adam being a perfect being, do you seem to make it that Adam retained his perfection even after falling in the garden? Are you really preaching the Bible or something else

Lastly, let me reiterate this again:

Do you want us to believe that over the course of just 6000 years, over 75 Billion people had descended from just two humans [with a ratio of over over 75 Million per Year since the days of Adam]?

3 Likes

Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by godsgift233: 12:17pm On Jan 06, 2015
Reiyvinn:

The last time I checked, there are over 4200 "paths" (or religious beliefs) and mathematically speaking, chosing the right path will be 1/4200. (Even worse than "baba ijebu" premium lotto)

Furthermore, if there was a god out there who wants humans to worship only him/her/it and disregard the over 1 Millions god of many other religions, that god would have to come out with significantly irrefutable proof of his/her/its existence rather than leave humans to kill themselves and each other over books written by scientifically and intellectually fact-deficient Stone Age goat rearers. cool

good write up. i concord bro

3 Likes

Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by godsgift233: 12:34pm On Jan 06, 2015
undercat:

When you understand why
you dismiss all the other
possible gods, you will
understand why we (atheists) dismiss yours.

2 Likes

Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by malvisguy212: 1:01pm On Jan 06, 2015
Reiyvinn:

Now here is the problem. God exiled Cain to NATIONS!!

To purport that Adam and Eve could've produced Nations between Cain and Abel would make it even weirder. Do you know how many years it takes to raise such multitude? Hey. How old would Cain be by then-- even to the point of being able to till the ground!? Think again, dude. It's obvious the writers of that account were presenting Cain and Abel as the first two children of Adam before any other.

Furthermore, why would the Children between Cain and Abel be sent away from their family to make up a Nation (or Nations) elsewhere?

Have you forgotten that according to that same account, when Yahweh cursed Cain, he placed a mark on his; an identifying mark to the Nations so that he doesn't get killed when seen?? Does that sound like Cain being sent to his distant Family members

That's laughable at all levels because if every human that exists is a descendant of Adam and Eve, there will forever be in-cest.

Regarding Adam being a perfect being, do you seem to make it that Adam retained his perfection even after falling in the garden? Are you really preaching the Bible or something else

Lastly, let me reiterate this again:

Do you want us to believe that over the course of just 6000 years, over 75 Billion people had descended from just two humans [with a ratio of over over 75 Million per Year since the days of Adam]?
you can't comperd. The days of Adam with present days,I gave you an example, men can stay long uptil 900 years, DO YOU THINK THIS IS NOT ENOUGH TO FILL IN A NATION? Brother 900 years is enough for a nation to be filled up.

Cain dos not have genetic defeat in him, so I repeat, that is not a theological problems.

I gave you a prove of perfection, man adam and the rest die at a good old age but Abraham downward die 200 downward, still bible say they died good old age, Adam were in a state of perfection step by step, he loos everything.
Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by Weah96: 1:05pm On Jan 06, 2015
malvisguy212:
you can't comperd. The days of Adam with present days,I gave you an example, men can stay long uptil 900 years, DO YOU THINK THIS IS NOT ENOUGH TO FILL IN A NATION? Brother 900 years is enough for a nation to be filled up.

Cain dos not have genetic defeat in him, so I repeat, that is not a theological problems.

I gave you a prove of perfection, man adam and the rest die at a good old age but Abraham downward die 200 downward, still bible say they died good old age, Adam were in a state of perfection step by step, he loos everything.

Which kyn technology was keeping human beings alive for 1000 years? Did they have different cells in their bodies from our own human cells?
Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by malvisguy212: 1:10pm On Jan 06, 2015
Weah96:

Which kyn technology was keeping human beings alive for 1000 years? Did they have different cells in their bodies from our own human cells?
you can google the scientists that are around during that period.
Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by malvisguy212: 1:16pm On Jan 06, 2015
Reiyvinn:

I copy this from one of my thread.

Agnostics often fall into two camps -
those who believe that all
religions can lead to God or those who
believe that true religion cannot
be discerned. This page examines both
positions in an attempt to
determine where the truth may lie.
Logically, there are several
possibilities. Atheists would say that no
religion leads to God, since He
doesn't exist. It is possible that one,
several or all religions lead to God.
ALL WAYS LEAD TO GOD:
There are hundreds of religions in the
world today, and many ancient
religions that are no longer practiced. It
is possible, and perhaps likely,
that all religions contain some truth and/
or good moral advice.
However, in examining religious
teaching, it is important to examine
the fundamental beliefs of each religion
and compare those to each
other. When this is done, it is apparent
that primary religious teachings
contradict each other. Judaism says that
the Messiah is coming,
Christianity says that He has come, and
Islam says that Mohammad
provided all the information necessary
for religious life. Obviously,
these truth claims cannot be
simultaneously true, since they
contradict
each other. Logically, we must reject the
idea that all religions lead to
God.
TRUE RELIGEON:IS IT POSSIBLE TO
DISCERN?
I believe that there are some things that
we can discern about God
from the nature of the universe. The
universe demonstrates some
remarkable evidence of design. What
kind of God designed all this, and how
can we know His true identity? Most
people who believe God
exists would agree with the argument
that the God who designed the
universe must be a personal God. For
God to put so much time and care
into the design of the universe and life, it
would seem logical to
conclude that God really cared about His
creation, and was personally
involved in it's creation. A God who did
not care about his creation would never
be expected to spend 14 billion years of
development
just so that humans would have a nice
place to live for a few thousand
years. Therefore, it would seem likely
that the true God must be a
personal God, and not the God of deism,
pantheism, Buddhism, etc. So,
it would seem that these religions
probably do not represent the true
nature of God.
ELIMINATE THE ILLOGICAL:
The powerful and personal Creator God
of the universe would probably
want to reveal Himself to His spiritual
creatures. So, it seems likely that
God would have revealed His true nature
to one or more of the
peoples of the earth. Are all the
revelations of the world religions a
reflection of God or just certain one(s)?
This is the difficult question that
cannot be answered in merely one short
page. However, I believe one can come
up with a best answer through much
study and through the
process of elimination. For example,
some religions make truth claims
that are obviously false. The LDS church
(Mormons) claims that gods are created
through procreation and that creatures
created by those gods can eventually
become gods themselves. However, this
religion suffers
from the problem of how the first god
came into existence. Logic
would dictate that God is eternal and
uncreated. All religions that claim
otherwise would seem to be logically
flawed.
BASIC RELIGEON CLAIM:
Since many religious claims contradict
one another, it would seem that
not all religions could be simultaneously
true. How can we tell which
religion(s) are true? If you examine the
world religions, most describe
ethical and moral laws that are ascribed
to God. Breaking of those laws
is an offense to God. How do different
religions handle that problem?
Many religions say that if one tries to
obey God's laws most of the time, God
will accept you. However, I believe that
we can eliminate
that idea as being true of the Creator
God of the universe. God designed
physical laws of the universe. These laws
are constant and
unbreakable. God Himself, seems to
break those physical laws only
rarely. I propose that this God would not
accept the breaking of His
moral laws so easily. In fact, from the
nature of the physical laws, it would
seem that God would not accept the
breaking of His moral laws
at all. Nearly all religions claim that God
will ignore our breaking of His
moral laws as long as we try our best.
This is where Christianity differs
from all other world religions.
Christianity says that our good works
cannot erase our bad moral choices.
Think of it in terms of our legal
systems. We are convicted of crimes on
the basis of breaking the law. If we break
a law, we are found guilty under the law.
It doesn't matter
what good things we have done in our
lives, if we break the law. We
might get a lesser sentence, but we will
still be convicted of a crime.
So, God cannot simply ignore our crimes
against Him. We will be found
guilty, despite our good works.
Christianity says that our bad deeds
(sins) must be eliminated in order to be
acceptable to God. The elimination of
sins was accomplished by the sacrifice of
the Savior
(Jesus Christ). Jesus Christ is God
Himself, who came to earth, led a sinless
life, and died on the cross as a sacrifice
to take the sins of
mankind. So, God Himself provided a
means of eliminating our sins
against Him. However, the elimination of
sins is not automatic. Since
God will allow people into His presence
after death, they must agree to
His terms. This contract is executed
through faith in the sacrifice of
Jesus Christ to eliminate our sins. By
accepting God's terms, our sins are
erased and we can stand in the presence
of God without any sin. Only
our good deeds will be counted for our
judgment. Those who don't
accept God's terms will be judged on the
basis of God's laws - and will
be found guilty.
CHRISTIANITY IS DIFFERENT :
No other religion provides a provision for
God's forgiveness of
sin, which is why I believe Christianity to
be the only true way
to God. Jesus said He is the only way to
God and that all people
must follow Him to enter heaven. All
other religions are man's attempt to
become acceptable to God. Only
Christianity says
that God alone provides the only means
to be acceptable to
Him. So, either Christianity is true and all
other religions are false or
Christianity is false and God does not
hold people accountable for law
breaking. Personally, I would not want to
rely upon God ignoring His
own rules. It doesn't seem to be logical
reasoning. This is the choice you must
make.
CONCLUSION:
So, I encourage you to examine the world
religions to see if what I am
saying is true. Don't give up on the ability
to separate the truth claims
of the world's religions. If Christianity is
true, you must make a choice
or you will be judged on the basis of your
sins against God. Let me
know if you have any questions.

1 Like

Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jan 06, 2015
malvisguy212:

1.) Even as silly and mythical as it sounds, I'll play along with the folly and debunk the folly from its very own folly.

According to Genesis 5:3, Seth who came long after Cain and Abel was born when Adam was 130 years old. Thus, to hammer more nails to that Coffin, Adam was around (i.e slightly under or over) 100 when he had Cain and Abel. Again I ask, Did Adam and Eve Conceive A Whole Nation Within This Period don't forget that Adam didn't produce Cain when he was 1 or 10, and since Cain and Abel had already become men long before seth was born, it's apparent that least 40 should be cut from Adam for Cain, being the firstborn and at least 12 for Abel thus, even the 130 is under reduction; leaving the NATIONS with about 130 - (40 + 12) = 130 - 52 = 78 to be raised from just one generation

Can anything be more ridiculous than this

I hope you're seeing the balderdash yourself.

2.) Regarding in-cest, you still don't get the point, do you?

Ignoring the fact that you presented no evidence of in-cest being once-not-a-gentic-problem, you seem to forget that if all men descended from Adam, every marriage (including your mum and dad) is incest.

5 Likes

Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by godsgift233: 2:40pm On Jan 06, 2015
An atheist doesn’t have to be
someone who thinks he has a proof
that there can’t be a god. He only
has to be someone who believes
that the evidence on the God
question is at a similar level to the
evidence on the werewolf question.

6 Likes

Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by undercat: 2:46pm On Jan 06, 2015
godsgift233:

When you understand why
you dismiss all the other
possible gods, you will
understand why we (atheists) dismiss yours.

Meaningless statement. The rationale for atheism is very clear. Unless you are assuming that anybody who understands it must then become an atheist, that statement is so meaningless. Not everybody is easily swayed, man.
Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by undercat: 2:56pm On Jan 06, 2015
Reiyvinn:

You are probably right, but even within this your reply you are still referencing the christian God.

Then worship the Flying Spaghetti Monster, if you must. You don't have to worship anything at all, however, being an atheist.
Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by godsgift233: 3:04pm On Jan 06, 2015
undercat:

Meaningless statement. The rationale for atheism is very clear. Unless you are assuming that anybody who understands it must then become an atheist, that statement is so meaningless. Not everybody is easily swayed, man.

To understand via the heart is not
to understand.

A favorite of mine, in a similar vein
to the Seneca the Younger quote:
“If we go back to the beginning we
shall find that ignorance and fear
created the gods, that fancy
enthusiasm or deceit adorned them,
that weakness worships them, that
credulity preserves them, and that
custom respect and tyranny support
them in order to make the
blindness of men serve their own
interests".

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Kick-started My Atheism: The Stumper Questions. by spacyzuma(m): 3:10pm On Jan 06, 2015
godsgift233:

To understand via the heart is not
to understand.

A favorite of mine, in a similar vein
to the Seneca the Younger quote:
“If we go back to the beginning we
shall find that ignorance and fear
created the gods, that fancy
enthusiasm or deceit adorned them,
that weakness worships them, that
credulity preserves them, and that
custom respect and tyranny support
them in order to make the
blindness of men serve their own
interests".

I love, LOVE!, this statement! Thanks for sharing it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Bought This Drink Today With 666 On It / I Have Been Giving Half Of My Salary To A Pastor, Here's What Happened / Is Female Co - Pastor Scriptural

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.