Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,890 members, 7,806,582 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:38 PM

Buy Or Not To Buy? Converted Nissan Primera SE - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Buy Or Not To Buy? Converted Nissan Primera SE (4072 Views)

Hmnm... To Buy Or Not To Buy. Mercedes Benz 1988 500 SEC / Hand Drive Converted Vehicles. Your opinions. / MAZDA 6. To Buy Or Not To Buy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buy Or Not To Buy? Converted Nissan Primera SE by sleekcm(m): 10:47am On Jan 06, 2015
Good Morning ladies and gentlemen, I seek your advice on a converted Nissan Primer a SE (2000 model). The car was shipped from Scotland last year and converted from RHD to LHD in Lagos. Are there mechanical issues that occur as a result of this? I'm afraid this could be an issue in the future.
A mechanic certified the car okay bar leakage of break oil. He said the oil seal will need replacement.
The car was test driven and drives pretty fine.
I need sincere and knowledgeable advice from the house please.

@Siena,Ikenna and others, please do give your opinions on this.

Thank you.
Re: Buy Or Not To Buy? Converted Nissan Primera SE by sleekcm(m): 11:24am On Jan 06, 2015
Some pictures...

Re: Buy Or Not To Buy? Converted Nissan Primera SE by sleekcm(m): 11:47am On Jan 06, 2015
More pictures...

Re: Buy Or Not To Buy? Converted Nissan Primera SE by sleekcm(m): 11:48am On Jan 06, 2015
More...

Re: Buy Or Not To Buy? Converted Nissan Primera SE by fanex: 12:19pm On Jan 06, 2015
please walk away from this ship wreck even without the modification this car is bad. walk away.

1 Like

Re: Buy Or Not To Buy? Converted Nissan Primera SE by sleekcm(m): 12:36pm On Jan 06, 2015
Thank you Fanex. It would really be nice if you could give reasons why I shouldn't consider this "ship wreck".

More contributions please.
Re: Buy Or Not To Buy? Converted Nissan Primera SE by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jan 06, 2015
use an OBD II car scanner to scan the car to know if there are issues.
Re: Buy Or Not To Buy? Converted Nissan Primera SE by sleekcm(m): 1:19pm On Jan 06, 2015
@Chiebube, that option isn't available. Thanks for your input.

More please...
Re: Buy Or Not To Buy? Converted Nissan Primera SE by fanex: 1:57pm On Jan 06, 2015
i think you need to buy it to find out. happy motoring.
sleekcm:
Thank you Fanex. It would really be nice if you could give reasons why I shouldn't consider this "ship wreck".

More contributions please.
Re: Buy Or Not To Buy? Converted Nissan Primera SE by Coldplay007(f): 3:05pm On Jan 06, 2015
fanex:

It would do a lot of us some good if you can educate us on reasons why you think its a 'shipwreck' and why he should walk away from the vehicle...
thats what NL is known for.. Educating the ignorant..
I have a friend that has been using a converted Nissan Primera for a couple of years now and he has had no issues with it..

3 Likes

Re: Buy Or Not To Buy? Converted Nissan Primera SE by sleekcm(m): 3:11pm On Jan 06, 2015
fanex:

Thank you for your "insight".
Re: Buy Or Not To Buy? Converted Nissan Primera SE by nurey(m): 3:35pm On Jan 06, 2015
If it had been a wagon I would have vowed you bought it from my family friend, but as I have seen the dash board and that car sign from your monitor I can tell your passenger airbag is gone and the driver air bags too won't work infact you will have air bag warning light illuminated on your dash, you may also have the check engine light on I can tell you that car was not converted by a professional to the book.

Just make sure to check the ECU of that car, also the reverse camera may or may not work again but above all that car is a solid rock the only downside is as it age, with dents and all it becomes distorted.

I can proudly say the dash and interior arrangement of that car is better than the 2007-2012 camry.
Re: Buy Or Not To Buy? Converted Nissan Primera SE by fanex: 4:12pm On Jan 06, 2015
firstly conversions is a serious business. its either you supervise the job yourself or give it to a honest mechanic. if a honest conversion is to be done on this particular model it will cost more than the car it self. you friend either got lucky or something.
theres a good reason why such an executive looking car is so cheap. its a badly put together car. the engine wouldnt last more than 100k miles. parts are cheap but not readily available. some parts are very expensive because of its executive looking nature .
Coldplay007:

It would do a lot of us some good if you can educate us on reasons why you think its a 'shipwreck' and why he should walk away from the vehicle...
thats what NL is known for.. Educating the ignorant..
I have a friend that has been using a converted Nissan Primera for a couple of years now and he has had no issues with it..
Re: Buy Or Not To Buy? Converted Nissan Primera SE by oluwaseunla(m): 4:45pm On Jan 06, 2015
OP, first, that is not a 2000 model Nissan Primera. That is a P12 Primera, which started in 2002 and ended in 2008.

Generally, Primeras are excellent work horses, if they are not abused. Personally, I won't advise you to buy a converted P12, because most times, Nigerians are known to make a bad job of conversions, except you are sure this one was well done.

Another thing you have to consider is that P12 is known to be the least reliable Primera, some folks believe that it is because it is the first Primera, Nissan produced since their alliance with Renault, and that the P12 inherited some unreliability from Renault. So a converted one is a no-no for me.

Lastly, there must be an obd port somewhere, I'm not so familiar with the P12 but at least, I know that the Primeras from 2000 models (P11-144) are capable of self-diagnosis. You can google the process. Take care.
Re: Buy Or Not To Buy? Converted Nissan Primera SE by sleekcm(m): 5:30pm On Jan 06, 2015
nurey:
If it had been a wagon I would have vowed you bought it from my family friend, but as I have seen the dash board and that car sign from your monitor I can tell your passenger airbag is gone and the driver air bags too won't work infact you will have air bag warning light illuminated on your dash, you may also have the check engine light on I can tell you that car was not converted by a professional to the book.

Just make sure to check the ECU of that car, also the reverse camera may or may not work again but above all that car is a solid rock the only downside is as it age, with dents and all it becomes distorted.

I can proudly say the dash and interior arrangement of that car is better than the 2007-2012 camry.
The reverse camera still works.

Re: Buy Or Not To Buy? Converted Nissan Primera SE by sleekcm(m): 5:33pm On Jan 06, 2015
@Ouwaseunla, excellent advice, thank you.
Re: Buy Or Not To Buy? Converted Nissan Primera SE by Nobody: 11:03pm On Jan 06, 2015
The problem with most naija converts is that most wires end up not being connected properly. This happened in a 2004 Rav4 sport, in my house. The wire connecting the ECU to the obd aint there again.
Re: Buy Or Not To Buy? Converted Nissan Primera SE by nissparts(m): 9:23am On Jan 07, 2015
1. It has an OBD port
2. That display does not necessarily mean there's an airbag problem
3. Take a pic of the display screen with the car started and not at ACC as you have done, so I can see the warning lights that are on

1 Like

Re: Buy Or Not To Buy? Converted Nissan Primera SE by Nobody: 9:36am On Jan 07, 2015
nissparts:
Take a pic of the display screen with the car started and not at ACC as you have done, so I can see the warning lights that are on
+1. He seemed to have just shut down the engine when he took the pic and was afraid to burn further fuel grin
Re: Buy Or Not To Buy? Converted Nissan Primera SE by sleekcm(m): 5:12pm On Jan 07, 2015
@nissparts will do.
Re: Buy Or Not To Buy? Converted Nissan Primera SE by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jan 07, 2015
i wont buy any car i cannot scan. If the obd II port has been disconnected. Let the seller fix it before inspection. If you dare buy it without the OBD II port working properly, you will settle for a rip off by our beloved Nigerian mechanics when you buy it and it has issues. How many of our mechanics can use OBD I ?

1 Like

Re: Buy Or Not To Buy? Converted Nissan Primera SE by Nobody: 7:44pm On Jan 07, 2015
OP, I think you should walk away if the OBD port is absent.

(1) (Reply)

Verify Your Car Plate Numbers To Know If It Is Genuine / Why Does My Car Overheats When AC Is Switched On? / Speedometer Stops Working, Odometer Reading Wipe Off, Toyota Camry 1999

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.