Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,833 members, 7,802,668 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:34 PM

Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. (29809 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi Performs Ritual Rites Before Entering Ado-Ekiti (Photos) / Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) / Eheneden Erediauwa Begins Rites To Be Crowned New Oba Of Benin (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by holatin(m): 4:46pm On Mar 05, 2015
100Cents:

What is vjo ?

Video Journal of Orthopaedics
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by victorazy(m): 4:46pm On Mar 05, 2015
Misogynist2014:
We should start collecting groom price! Societies are just extorting men.

Go to India

1 Like

Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by 100Cents: 4:47pm On Mar 05, 2015
holatin:

Video Journal of Orthopaedics

Why did it take you so long ?
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by Nobody: 4:49pm On Mar 05, 2015
DesChyko:

From there.. Married there.
No wonder....Bros i married from Owerri, ihiagwa the list dey gave me was THREE ANGRY LOOKING PAGE...forget o...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by stinggy(m): 4:50pm On Mar 05, 2015
chimkaire:
OP Bro, you are right. But, I have in-laws who came same day, did the whole thingy same day and zoom off with my ladies cool grin
There's no fast rule to it being done in parts in my family and a few others I know.

Proudly Mbaise grin grin cool

Ummmmm... where's the Odogwu in-law-to-be, come in here, @Stinggy. Make you no fall ya hand that day, I no go help you plead with her Papa undecided grin grin grin cheesy
Been having a rethink ooo, since the day you promised me the 'edo woman' treatment embarassed sweerie u knw amma luver, nt a fighter

Btw, the intro things look cheap, seems the ripping-off comes during the trado lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
mah jus dey here dey observe tongue
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by Themandator: 4:54pm On Mar 05, 2015
My wife is from Mbaise and I'm from anambra state.... Your first two paragraphs are complete lies.,therefore, I didn't bother going any further.

4 Likes

Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by Nobody: 4:56pm On Mar 05, 2015
stinggy:

Been having a rethink ooo, since the day you promised me the 'edo woman' treatment :-[ sweerie u knw amma luver, nt a fighter

Btw, the intro things look cheap, seems the ripping-off comes during the trado lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
mah jus dey here dey observe tongue
Forget the Edo woman treat.....ama lover not a fighter undecided
Come first, we won't mercy tear your pocket grin grin grin grin

You choose trado wedding or not abi, you not the man nii sad
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by santicruz: 4:56pm On Mar 05, 2015
Women get grade. Mbaise get quality women

1 Like

Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by mekuilis(m): 4:56pm On Mar 05, 2015
Justdulla:
The thread should have been titled how to Buy a Bride in Mbaise,,No wonder most of their ladies are into runz and many are old cargoes still single,because culture put price tag on their hand like Cristiano Ronaldo transfer feez
Hey...will you shut up and learn. Dumbo!
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by Gboliwe: 5:01pm On Mar 05, 2015
I used to think that marrying from Mbaise requires one breaking a bank's vault until my cousin took a bride there in December.
I saw the list and I was shocked! Shocked because it was just normal compared to the stories I've heard.

Point is, if you find a good woman in Mbaise, go for her. You don't have to be related to Dangote or even in the middle class to have her. I wonder where all the bad and high bride price stories came out from

11 Likes

Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by Gboliwe: 5:03pm On Mar 05, 2015
mekuilis:
Hey...will you shut up and learn. Dumbo!

When you see someone with a username as "just dull a, what do you expect from a dullard? You just walk away and use your energy somewhere else

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by Curvinus(m): 5:11pm On Mar 05, 2015
Stereotypical balderdash
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by Nobody: 5:13pm On Mar 05, 2015
Justdulla:
. 'I'm not a igbo indeed'... U seem like a secondary school dropout or better still a secondary school rascal...when humans were laying comments, I didn't expect an ape to chip in...hmmmn Planets of the Apes
grin grin This fool want to take a swipe at me, but I'm gonna make you regret ever taking that decision. Silly douchebag, your head is only filled with tribal fùckeries. Useless and smelly dimwit
Just so you don't know, that was a typographical error and I don't care however you wish to translate it.
Talk more of a school drop out, your sentence construction and words usage are inchorent and lacks vigour. I laughed hysterically reading this half-baked comeback from anancephalic imp creature - your head is filled with spiteful remarks that's why you couldn't comment constructively. Fool

Now, talking about an ape, you are an orangutan look-alike who should be in the zoo longing for banana with your type. I'm sure you will be crying your ass out whenever you look at the mirror.
Ok... Compare this two pictures below

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by ejikeme(m): 5:14pm On Mar 05, 2015
nnafather:
Women for sale...later they claim that slavery has been abolished. Akpa amu ndi mba ise there.

lwkmfh!!!! Nnafather!!! ololo, easy with the blasting. i get certain kolombi from that area.
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by bisi16(m): 5:16pm On Mar 05, 2015
nnafather:
Women for sale...later they claim that slavery has been abolished. Akpa amu ndi mba ise there.
Nnaa u dey vex o!

1 Like

Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by IleIfe2(m): 5:21pm On Mar 05, 2015
"Acquiring" Slave traders grin grin grin
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by Whizzcute(m): 5:21pm On Mar 05, 2015
DesChyko:
This is a general summary of how brides are had in the Igbo traditional setting of Mbaise. It will be exposed step by step and with time.

Note: The groom is not necessarily active in these proceedings. He may or may not be present but the rites are undertaken by his kinsmen.

The first rite is the 'introduction'. The date is fixed by the groom's party and announced to the prospective bride's family. If the date is conducive for both parties, preparations are made for the visit. The male members of the family are notified so they can be present. The only females that can be in such meetings are those that came with the groom's kinsmen.

The groom may or may not arrive with his kinsmen. They are welcomed by the bride's people, given kola and asked to state their mission, which the spokesman does directly or indirectly. After stating their mission, the following items are presented for assessment by the bride's kinsmen:

a. 1 big jar of palmwine.

b. 1 carton of beer (Star preferrably).

c. 8 kolanuts (4 two lobed kolanuts (Gworo Hausa) 4 Four-lobed kolanuts (Oji Igbo)).

d. 1 hot drink.

e. A certain amount of money for 'enquiry' (ajuju).

Depending on how far the groom's location is, the cash varies greatly. This money is to enable the bride's people journey down to the groom's location to inquire after the groom's family for there are certain qualities that are frowned at by different families.

Precautions:

1. Get the palmwine from a good trusted tapper.

2. Make sure the kolanuts are good and not dried out.

3. To be on the easy side, have more than 1 bottle of hot drink and extra cash for fines.

Any fault found with the items presented results in a fine depending on the item. Note that this is hardly a peaceful proceeding as both parties dig out faults in either side as a norm in the negotiations. The groom should stay out of it. Any communications with the groom should be made in private

The prospective bride is then called in and asked if she knows the visitors. She is then told of their mission and asked if they should proceed to accept the gifts they brought. Should she reply 'Yes', the proceedings moves on and she is asked to leave.

They then settle to eat and drink as prepared by the bride's family. Mostly served here are oil bean (ugba), rice and fufu. The palmwine and drinks presented by the groom's kinsmen are used as refreshment.

After a successful introduction and enquiry, both parties moves on to the next stage.
which part of mbaise re you frm?
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by Adaezeagu(f): 5:21pm On Mar 05, 2015
Gboliwe:
I used to think that marrying from Mbaise requires one breaking a bank's vault until my cousin took a bride there in December.
I saw the list and I was shocked! Shocked because it was just normal compared to the stories I've heard.

Point is, if you find a good woman in Mbaise, go for her. You don't have to be related to Dangote or even in the middle class to have her. I wonder where all the bad and high bride price stories came out from
it is just jealousy,hatred and envy

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by holatin(m): 5:29pm On Mar 05, 2015
100Cents:

Why did it take you so long ?
are you the only one I ve to answer ?
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by opiaoku: 5:37pm On Mar 05, 2015
Me sef dey fear Mbaise more than bokoharam

Cannibal things grin
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by opiaoku: 5:39pm On Mar 05, 2015
Gboliwe:

That name Mbaise (country 5) dey send fear down to my spine
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by DesChyko: 5:41pm On Mar 05, 2015
Whizzcute:
which part of mbaise re you frm?
Ahiazu Mbaise but I married from Aboh Mbaise.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by DesChyko: 5:43pm On Mar 05, 2015
mcchaka:
No wonder....Bros i married from Owerri, ihiagwa the list dey gave me was THREE ANGRY LOOKING PAGE...forget o...

Lol.. You know most of those things are fabricated to be bargained upon. Meanwhile, this is just introductiongrin
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by Whizzcute(m): 5:45pm On Mar 05, 2015
DesChyko:
Ahiazu Mbaise but I married from Aboh Mbaise.
i'm frm Ahiazu too

1 Like

Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by Nobody: 5:58pm On Mar 05, 2015
Justdulla:
. 'I'm not a igbo indeed'... U seem like a secondary school dropout or better still a secondary school rascal...when humans were laying comments, I didn't expect an ape to chip in...hmmmn Planets of the Apes

omo werey, my nigga, you are a tribal bigot.
Too dull to be a homo sapien

1 Like

Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by Nobody: 6:00pm On Mar 05, 2015
I guess u just displayed ur animal side properly. Now u bombard grammar with a dictionary by your side just to prove your mettle, trying to stir storm in a kettle..buh am not touched,u just disclosed that you reason low...and I think you shud put that ape beside your pix cos am way to cute to compare with it..
Logicalmind:

grin grin This fool want to take a swipe at me, but I'm gonna make you regret ever taking that decision. Silly douchebag, your head is only filled with tribal fùckeries. Useless and smelly dimwit
Just so you don't know, that was a typographical error and I don't care however you wish to translate it.
Talk more of a school drop out, your sentence construction and words usage are inchorent and lacks vigour. I laughed hysterically reading this half-baked comeback from anancephalic imp creature - your head is filled with spiteful remarks that's why you couldn't comment constructively. Fool

Now, talking about an ape, you are an orangutan look-alike who should be in the zoo longing for banana with your type. I'm sure you will be crying your ass out whenever you look at the mirror.
Ok... Compare this two pictures below
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by Nobody: 6:04pm On Mar 05, 2015
adeitoro:

omo werey, my nigga, you are a tribal bigot.
Too dull to be a homo sapien
. So PDP have taught yall a new terminology 'bigot' without knowing the actual meaning. Am baffled even an area tout like you can now come online to yarn thrash....Internet wasn't meant for everone Donkey,common hit the zoo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Onishe Ahaba: Why Asaba People Forbid Ogbono Soup / Ovie Richard Ogbon Celebrates 105th Birthday (Photos) / Kids Cartoon In Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Languages(Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.