Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,378 members, 7,781,062 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:14 AM

Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. (29754 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi Performs Ritual Rites Before Entering Ado-Ekiti (Photos) / Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) / Eheneden Erediauwa Begins Rites To Be Crowned New Oba Of Benin (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by Gboliwe: 6:07pm On Mar 05, 2015
opiaoku:

That name Mbaise (country 5) dey send fear down to my spine

You don't have to be and I mean it. Maybe in time past, they did evil, but tell me, what people didn't commit atrocities too?
Keep an open mind if you meet a good woman and deal with her as an individual. Don't punish her for the sins of her ancestors she knows nothing about.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by cirmuell(m): 6:08pm On Mar 05, 2015
simplemach:
In case she is the first daughter, dont forget to go with plenty and plenty of money because the father might have drawn a building plan, waiting for the victim that will pay fully for the project.
Lmao grin
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by Gboliwe: 6:09pm On Mar 05, 2015
Adaezeagu:
it is just jealousy,hatred and envy

No, I think its misinformation. Your people should rebrand. A lot of people don't know that you people are about as nice as others. With threads like these, a positive image is created
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by agabaI23(m): 6:15pm On Mar 05, 2015
DesChyko:
This is a general summary of how brides are had in the Igbo traditional setting of Mbaise. It will be exposed step by step and with time.

Note: The groom is not necessarily active in these proceedings. He may or may not be present but the rites are undertaken by his kinsmen.

The first rite is the 'introduction'. The date is fixed by the groom's party and announced to the prospective bride's family. If the date is conducive for both parties, preparations are made for the visit. The male members of the family are notified so they can be present. The only females that can be in such meetings are those that came with the groom's kinsmen.

The groom may or may not arrive with his kinsmen. They are welcomed by the bride's people, given kola and asked to state their mission, which the spokesman does directly or indirectly. After stating their mission, the following items are presented for assessment by the bride's kinsmen:

a. 1 big jar of palmwine.

b. 1 carton of beer (Star preferrably).

c. 8 kolanuts (4 two lobed kolanuts (Gworo Hausa) 4 Four-lobed kolanuts (Oji Igbo)).

d. 1 hot drink.

e. A certain amount of money for 'enquiry' (ajuju).

Depending on how far the groom's location is, the cash varies greatly. This money is to enable the bride's people journey down to the groom's location to inquire after the groom's family for there are certain qualities that are frowned at by different families.

Precautions:

1. Get the palmwine from a good trusted tapper.

2. Make sure the kolanuts are good and not dried out.

3. To be on the easy side, have more than 1 bottle of hot drink and extra cash for fines.

Any fault found with the items presented results in a fine depending on the item. Note that this is hardly a peaceful proceeding as both parties dig out faults in either side as a norm in the negotiations. The groom should stay out of it. Any communications with the groom should be made in private

The prospective bride is then called in and asked if she knows the visitors. She is then told of their mission and asked if they should proceed to accept the gifts they brought. Should she reply 'Yes', the proceedings moves on and she is asked to leave.

They then settle to eat and drink as prepared by the bride's family. Mostly served here are oil bean (ugba), rice and fufu. The palmwine and drinks presented by the groom's kinsmen are used as refreshment.

After a successful introduction and enquiry, both parties moves on to the next stage.
Tell us about the listtongue
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by chrisdstar: 6:19pm On Mar 05, 2015
Justdulla:
The thread should have been titled how to Buy a Bride in Mbaise,,No wonder most of their ladies are into runz and many are old cargoes still single,because culture put price tag on their hand like Cristiano Ronaldo transfer feez
what is costly about what d op said,where you expecting dem 2 hand in their daughters 2 strangers or do u just wanna show ur emptiness?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by Koolking(m): 6:28pm On Mar 05, 2015
Steps to acquire wealth in a single transaction. Watch the vid and see the effect sometimes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TaQu-0IvDs
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by Aystarz: 6:32pm On Mar 05, 2015
B69U:
YORUBAS HAVE UR MOTHER PAID HER BRIDE PRICE TO UR FATHER PARENTS?

NDI ARA!
Another Daftie on the loose!
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by stinggy(m): 6:46pm On Mar 05, 2015
chimkaire:
Forget the Edo woman treat.....ama lover not a fighter undecided
Come first, we won't mercy tear your pocket grin grin grin grin

You choose trado wedding or not abi, you not the man nii sad
Nne i swear me nor undstnd dt bolded part, truss me sad kiss kiss
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by InvertedHammer: 6:54pm On Mar 05, 2015
/
So what's all the fuss about?

It is either the list is incomplete or people are embellishing the cost of marrying from Mbaise.

I even heard that a suitor must distribute motorcycles and grinding machines to every woman of the bride's kindred.
Mbaise people need to take some actions to counter the negative impressions people have about marriage in that zone.
/
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by Ndukings92(m): 7:06pm On Mar 05, 2015
Justdulla:
The thread should have been titled how to Buy a Bride in Mbaise,,No wonder most of their ladies are into runz and many are old cargoes still single,because culture put price tag on their hand like Cristiano Ronaldo transfer feez
thunder fire u

1 Like

Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by vivalavida(m): 7:07pm On Mar 05, 2015
chimkaire:
OP Bro, you are right. But, I have in-laws who came same day, did the whole thingy same day and zoom off with my ladies cool grin
There's no fast rule to it being done in parts in my family and a few others I know.

Proudly Mbaise grin grin cool

Ummmmm... where's the Odogwu in-law-to-be, come in here, @Stinggy. Make you no fall ya hand that day, I no go help you plead with her Papa undecided grin grin grin cheesy

So this chic is ma mbaise sister?
Proudly Ezinihitte Mbaise

3 Likes

Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by menix(m): 7:20pm On Mar 05, 2015
Jacob in d bible married frm an Mbaise family, its only an mbaise man u will serve 7yrs nd additional 7yrs jst to get ur wife.

Its unfortunate that their tide ve turned to worst, for a prophet saying 'If u see an mbaise woman nd a snake, dont hesitate to kill d woman'
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by Nobody: 7:22pm On Mar 05, 2015
vivalavida:

So this chic is ma mbaise sister?
Proudly Ezinihitte Mbaise
Ahiazu Mbaise; I rep yo! cool
Nwanne mmadu, udo oooo grin

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by Nobody: 7:24pm On Mar 05, 2015
stinggy:

Nne i swear me nor undstnd dt bolded part, truss me sad kiss kiss
You choose to have a big ceremony or not naa. You the man naa.
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by Nobody: 7:28pm On Mar 05, 2015
Just chilling and reading comments. When una bash una selves finish mek una comot mek I pass for road.
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by deltateam: 7:32pm On Mar 05, 2015
AmakaDNB:
Not anything too high jor.

The process checks to be sure the groom is prepared. When marriage is made too easy, ppl can easily move in and out of it.

Meanwhile read my story - Juliana And The Big Proposal- on DNB Stories. www.dnbstories.com

Celebrity weddings run into milliions of naira yet it doesn't guarantee the longevity of the marriage.
Celebrity marriages have high divorce rates. Go figure.
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by Whizzcute(m): 7:53pm On Mar 05, 2015
teufelein:

methinks you're mistaken my person for your imbecilic president, mallam jonathan of greatest zoo nigeria on the earth, not true, ab.oki whizzcute aka dark creature?
i knew it frm the very beginning that you are one of the descendants of Aboki GMB,well we dnt make noise,Aftermath 28th,The noise will make for itself...

But wait o...my fellow NLers make una see me see trouble o

HAUSA DEY CALL IGBO BUSHMAN.lol,its quite ridiculous...

3 Likes

Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by VellyG(m): 8:07pm On Mar 05, 2015
Expensive or not I'm still proud of our culture.
Ise wu Otu..

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by YoungDaNaval(m): 8:13pm On Mar 05, 2015
Whizzcute:
i knew it frm the very beginning that you are one of the descendants of Aboki GMB,well we dnt make noise,Aftermath 28th,The noise will make for itself...

But wait o...my fellow NLers make una see me see trouble o

HAUSA DEY CALL IGBO BUSHMAN.lol,its quite ridiculous...
Lwkmd
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by B69U: 8:13pm On Mar 05, 2015
YORUBAS HAVE UR MOTHER PAID HER BRIDE PRICE TO UR FATHER PARENTS?

NDI ARA!

1 Like

Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by Tedman: 8:25pm On Mar 05, 2015
OP, it is well over a month now since u promised us the tailpiece of ur article to feature in the next page. What happened, or is happening that has stayed ur hands in providing us the concluding piece to ur article?
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by isaacjohn82(m): 8:31pm On Mar 05, 2015
dats just intro wat of d detail procedures for others??
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by Whizzcute(m): 8:32pm On Mar 05, 2015
YoungDaNaval:
Lwkmd
Oga,you dey see wetn dey happn?
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by Pearl321(f): 9:39pm On Mar 05, 2015
Am just laughing at the kids here who have fish brains and talk rubbish about Mbaise people. You don't know nothing about them and when a topic is raised you run your mouth like You are better than them. To all the people saying mbaise brides are sold. Shame on you. I am a lady from mbaise. I am married to another state and am beautiful, tall and gap toothed wit dimples and of course a masters degree holder.
Yes my hubby is well to do but when he came. There was nothing like list given to him and his people and their coming was only once. My dad just told him to come as he is. That he should save the money to use and train his own kids.
When they came and presented what they brought. They were accepted wholly and I would have mentioned the bride price given here but won't. From the bride price my dad took 1k and gave hubby the rest to use take care of me.
Till moro my hubby doesn't joke with my father and since after my wedding girls from my side have become married bc the news spread everywhere.

Get your facts right before you talk nonsense about others.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by Edusouls(m): 10:43pm On Mar 05, 2015
fool, other igbo girls are not into runs and there are no old cargoes from other igbo tribes except from mbaise, you see, when people talk they show their level of intelligence and deep stupidy, as for you, you are very dumb...
Justdulla:
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by Edusouls(m): 10:45pm On Mar 05, 2015
ezi, maybe that's what your father does to people that come to marry your ugly sisters...
simplemach:
In case she is the first daughter, dont forget to go with plenty and plenty of money because the father might have drawn a building plan, waiting for the victim that will pay fully for the project.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Is Odogwu; Why Do Igbo Guys Call Themselves That / Ovie Richard Ogbon Celebrates 105th Birthday (Photos) / Kids Cartoon In Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Languages(Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.