Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,136 members, 7,780,044 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:55 AM

Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. (29753 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi Performs Ritual Rites Before Entering Ado-Ekiti (Photos) / Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) / Eheneden Erediauwa Begins Rites To Be Crowned New Oba Of Benin (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by oluezekiel(m): 10:49pm On Mar 05, 2015
I need someone that can help with the Ikwerres.
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by Edusouls(m): 10:50pm On Mar 05, 2015
simplemach:
In case she is the first daughter, dont forget to go with plenty and plenty of money because the father might have drawn a building plan, waiting for the victim that will pay fully for the project.
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by Henricarter(m): 10:53pm On Mar 05, 2015
This is to show u are properly married ndi igob I greet Oo proudly IGBO

1 Like

Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by nkkystel(f): 11:07pm On Mar 05, 2015
That list of yours isn't comprehensive and yet it's bargainable. There are people from other states whose traditional marriage rites are far far more than Mbaise's.
DesChyko:
This is a general summary of how brides are had in the Igbo traditional setting of Mbaise. It will be exposed step by step and with time.

Note: The groom is not necessarily active in these proceedings. He may or may not be present but the rites are undertaken by his kinsmen.

The first rite is the 'introduction'. The date is fixed by the groom's party and announced to the prospective bride's family. If the date is conducive for both parties, preparations are made for the visit. The male members of the family are notified so they can be present. The only females that can be in such meetings are those that came with the groom's kinsmen.

The groom may or may not arrive with his kinsmen. They are welcomed by the bride's people, given kola and asked to state their mission, which the spokesman does directly or indirectly. After stating their mission, the following items are presented for assessment by the bride's kinsmen:

a. 1 big jar of palmwine.

b. 1 carton of beer (Star preferrably).

c. 8 kolanuts (4 two lobed kolanuts (Gworo Hausa) 4 Four-lobed kolanuts (Oji Igbo)).

d. 1 hot drink.

e. A certain amount of money for 'enquiry' (ajuju).

Depending on how far the groom's location is, the cash varies greatly. This money is to enable the bride's people journey down to the groom's location to inquire after the groom's family for there are certain qualities that are frowned at by different families.

Precautions:

1. Get the palmwine from a good trusted tapper.

2. Make sure the kolanuts are good and not dried out.

3. To be on the easy side, have more than 1 bottle of hot drink and extra cash for fines.

Any fault found with the items presented results in a fine depending on the item. Note that this is hardly a peaceful proceeding as both parties dig out faults in either side as a norm in the negotiations. The groom should stay out of it. Any communications with the groom should be made in private

The prospective bride is then called in and asked if she knows the visitors. She is then told of their mission and asked if they should proceed to accept the gifts they brought. Should she reply 'Yes', the proceedings moves on and she is asked to leave.

They then settle to eat and drink as prepared by the bride's family. Mostly served here are oil bean (ugba), rice and fufu. The palmwine and drinks presented by the groom's kinsmen are used as refreshment.

After a successful introduction and enquiry, both parties moves on to the next stage.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by koyyess: 1:03am On Mar 06, 2015
Gboliwe:
I used to think that marrying from Mbaise requires one breaking a bank's vault until my cousin took a bride there in December.
I saw the list and I was shocked! Shocked because it was just normal compared to the stories I've heard.

Point is, if you find a good woman in Mbaise, go for her. You don't have to be related to Dangote or even in the middle class to have her. I wonder where all the bad and high bride price stories came out from
The high bride price stories comes from broke negroes with pockets full of holes, frustrated enough to consider homosexuality. Like the ones ranting on this thread.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by prettyblaqy(f): 1:39am On Mar 06, 2015
Gboliwe:
I used to think that marrying from Mbaise requires one breaking a bank's vault until my cousin took a bride there in December.
I saw the list and I was shocked! Shocked because it was just normal compared to the stories I've heard.

Point is, if you find a good woman in Mbaise, go for her. You don't have to be related to Dangote or even in the middle class to have her. I wonder where all the bad and high bride price stories came out from
you are the only person that made a valid statement here though i can see some more, i wonder where & who cooked up that story about high bride price,
Let me ask those thomas here, are there no okada riders marrying from mbaise, are there no people doing minial jobs that got married to Mbaise ladies, why not look else where if you can't afford a priceless gift, point to remeber no Mbaise lady is a dollard, they are always hard working, they are assets to their husband, thats why you see that They inter marry themselve. they believe that no man wants a liability, bend down look round where ever you can see any Mbaise lady, you will notice one unique thing about her, i don't write cos am one, a proud one @ that, but i write cos i know who i am, & what i stand for,
lastly i believe in one proverb my granpa will always say, '' onye rere ugwu ya otu shilly, ego juru ulo a agaghi i zutara ya hi'' what do i mean; if u sell ur prestige/dignity for 1 shilly, money that fills a house can't get it back for you... mind what you say with ur mouth or what you write or what you think about potential (wives). There is power in ur words, doesn't matter how is been presented, now is the best time to design the next 10 to 15 years plan of your life not speak or write cos you can write.
Lastly, for the ladies ( every woman)what you call ur dog is what it will answer, i didn't mean women are Dog. Every tribe has its culture & traditions, u don't sit back & point accusing fingers on ancestors that know notting about d dangers some traditions are causing 'we' the youth. Get up be courageous & fight for yourselves (i inclusive).don't throw yourself on a man who doesn'y deserve you, a woman is more respected& valued when she has some thing good doing, then he (the man) will come & Beg to be part of your family & your life. Its a collective call wether you are from Mbaise, Ngwa, ohuhu, Ananbra, Owerre, etc always stand out, don't be intimidated by any thing or get distracted by wat fun can offer. anyone who loves & values you will locate you.distance is never a barrier neither is culture & tradition . For more admonishing words contact me on Sisters circle Nigeria Ezinihtte local govt branch or chat on whatsapp 07068961324, or mail me chukwugeraldine4@gmail.com

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by Nobody: 7:58am On Mar 06, 2015
ejikeme:

lwkmfh!!!! Nnafather!!! ololo, easy with the blasting. i get certain kolombi from that area.

I don hear you bro.
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by nkkystel(f): 7:58am On Mar 06, 2015
prettyblaqy:

lastly i believe in one proverb my granpa will always say, '' onye rere ugwu ya otu shilly, ego juru ulo a agaghi i zutara ya hi'' what do i mean; if u sell ur prestige/dignity for 1 shilly, money that fills a house can't get it back for you.
Lastly, for the ladies ( every woman)what you call ur dog is what it will answer, i didn't mean women are Dog. Every tribe has its culture & traditions, u don't sit back & point accusing fingers on ancestors that know notting about d dangers some traditions are causing 'we' the youth. Get up be courageous & fight for yourselves (i inclusive).don't throw yourself on a man who doesn't deserve you, a woman is more respected& valued when she has some thing good doing, then he (the man) will come & Beg to be part of your family & your life. Its a collective call wether you are from Mbaise, Ngwa, ohuhu, Anambra, Owerre, etc always stand out, don't be intimidated by any thing or get distracted by wat fun can offer. anyone who loves & values you will locate you.distance is never a barrier neither is culture & tradition . For more admonishing words contact me on Sisters circle Nigeria Ezinihtte local govt branch or chat on whatsapp 07068961324, or mail me chukwugeraldine4@gmail.com

Thanks my Sis! Dunno why pple can't allow Mbaise's to have peace.
During my trad, all my hubby did was to complete the Omenala thing and yet it was bargainable cos all what the kinsmen wanted was theirs as in (chopchop/settlement) which is a normal thing. As for the bride price my father never collected a dime from my hubby, all he gat was the money that was fixed into the cup of drink.
I am representing Eziudo Ezinihitte Mbaise.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by Nobody: 7:59am On Mar 06, 2015
bisi16:

Nnaa u dey vex o!

My brother, this thing don too much walahi.
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by socialwritter: 9:51am On Mar 06, 2015
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by cupidFlint(m): 10:34am On Mar 06, 2015
omonnakoda:
Your mother should go and die
Dude, I thought you had a brain in that cranium, never knew you were a ret.arded bastard.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by vivalavida(m): 11:09am On Mar 06, 2015
prettyblaqy:
you are the only person that made a valid statement here though i can see some more, i wonder where & who cooked up that story about high bride price,
Let me ask those thomas here, are there no okada riders marrying from mbaise, are there no people doing minial jobs that got married to Mbaise ladies, why not look else where if you can't afford a priceless gift, point to remeber no Mbaise lady is a dollard, they are always hard working, they are assets to their husband, thats why you see that They inter marry themselve. they believe that no man wants a liability, bend down look round where ever you can see any Mbaise lady, you will notice one unique thing about her, i don't write cos am one, a proud one @ that, but i write cos i know who i am, & what i stand for,
lastly i believe in one proverb my granpa will always say, '' onye rere ugwu ya otu shilly, ego juru ulo a agaghi i zutara ya hi'' what do i mean; if u sell ur prestige/dignity for 1 shilly, money that fills a house can't get it back for you... mind what you say with ur mouth or what you write or what you think about potential (wives). There is power in ur words, doesn't matter how is been presented, now is the best time to design the next 10 to 15 years plan of your life not speak or write cos you can write.
Lastly, for the ladies ( every woman)what you call ur dog is what it will answer, i didn't mean women are Dog. Every tribe has its culture & traditions, u don't sit back & point accusing fingers on ancestors that know notting about d dangers some traditions are causing 'we' the youth. Get up be courageous & fight for yourselves (i inclusive).don't throw yourself on a man who doesn'y deserve you, a woman is more respected& valued when she has some thing good doing, then he (the man) will come & Beg to be part of your family & your life. Its a collective call wether you are from Mbaise, Ngwa, ohuhu, Ananbra, Owerre, etc always stand out, don't be intimidated by any thing or get distracted by wat fun can offer. anyone who loves & values you will locate you.distance is never a barrier neither is culture & tradition . For more admonishing words contact me on Sisters circle Nigeria Ezinihtte local govt branch or chat on whatsapp 07068961324, or mail me chukwugeraldine4@gmail.com
Nwannem nwanyi,you have spoken well.
Awum onye amumara ezinihitte mbaise

1 Like

Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by bobkezel(m): 4:17pm On Mar 06, 2015
Where are umu ada mbaise. I love them mbaise ladies, so caring but no provoke them oo. Umu ada mabise biko where una dey oooo.
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by bobkezel(m): 4:29pm On Mar 06, 2015
Umu ada mbaise where una dey. I love them mbaise ladies, very caring. Kedu ebe unu no umu ada mbaise?
Re: Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. by Nobody: 10:44pm On Jun 01, 2019
It's nice not just appealing! wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ovie Richard Ogbon Celebrates 105th Birthday (Photos) / Kids Cartoon In Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Languages(Video) / The True Identity Of The Yoruba People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.