Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,899 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:31 AM

10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria - Culture (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria (82971 Views)

The 10 Most Expensive Cultures/tribes In Nigeria To Marry From / If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) / Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:51am On Jan 11, 2015
laudate:

So in your opinion paying a huge bride price directly translates into getting a good wife. So character, humility, honesty, love, loyalty etc do not count anymore. The best way a man can know he is getting a good wife is by looking at the amount he paid as 'bride price.' As if paying a huge bride price, is a guarantee of future happiness! Hehehehe...wonders shall never cease!

That's Igbo thinking for you grin
At least that's the thinking they try to project on you....before they scam you.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria by laudate: 2:58am On Jan 11, 2015
funkiebully:
The money a yoruba spends on owambe party and ashebi will mar. 5 igbo girls.

Quote me, I will show u evidence, enough of these misconceptions.

What are d things in igbo traditional list that people shout is expensive ? Goat, hen, kolanut, palmwine, beers, malts, hot drink, in some cases wrapper.

With 100k to 200k u can get all those items, compare to yoruba owambe wia u kill cow, cook rice, amala, ewedu, drinks, canopy, fuji musician, dj etc box full of gifts from Which she picks one, plus other marriage items.

What owambe party are you talking about? My Yoruba neighbours told me that the owambe party is paid for by the bride's family as they see it as a way to send off the daughter in style. It is only in recent times that the groom and his family might decide to chip in and sponsor part of the expenses, but it is not compulsory. The box of gifts used for the traditional wedding is usually coordinated solely by the bride and her friends. The gifts do not have to be expensive but they must look good and should be new.

In some cases, the bride just puts her old clothes at the bottom of the box and covers it up with new ones to give the impression that the entire box is filled with new stuff. Nobody checks it, they just point at it and say the gift is from the groom's family.

As for the rest, nobody asks for hen or cow. If they want to cook such things for the owambe, it is the headache of the bride's family. Not the groom. It is only if the bride's family cannot afford it or if the groom's guest list is double that of the bride, that the groom steps in out of a sense of honour to offer assistance, by bearing part of the expenses.

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria by laudate: 3:04am On Jan 11, 2015
praise010:

And you think that the reason why the 80 years old man married late is because of bride price? Your reasoning is really poor!
There are many reason for that brother. i will tell you if you ask. Moreover, Yorubas dont marry. They co-habit.

I have lived in Asipa (Osun) and Ibadan, I am sure you know what I am talking about. Only few Lagos Yorubas marry. Others mainly impragnate a girl and take her in- without any marriage whatsoever. Worst still, the men hardly cater for the wife (particularly in Ibadan)

For an Ibo man, it is their duty to take care of their wife (The degree of the woman doesnt matter). So when an ibo man tarries to marry, it is not becouse of bride price but because he is not ready for marriage responsibilities which only few "wise yorubas" takes up after marriage.

Bros, you lie! I have attended plenty Yoruba weddings, oh! If you doubt, just watch Channels TV on Sunday and you will see many Yoruba weddings. Cohabitation is seriously frowned upon. Those who do it move far away from family and friends into other towns to do so and they get little or no support from family, when things go wrong! grin

I have seen Igbo couples co-habiting very well in Lagos. Go to A papa, Ajegunle, Okokomaiko, Ogudu, Amuwo Odofin if you doubt me.. cheesywink

2 Likes

Re: 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria by Themandator: 7:32pm On Jan 11, 2015
faqman:

chai...
marrying ndigbo is too expensive...

My wife is from Aboh Mbaise... Whenever I mention this people tends to give me a serious handshake and for good reason... The list is just silly..... Imagine adding 8 loaves of bread to their list

3 Likes

Re: 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria by Themandator: 8:37pm On Jan 11, 2015
Fantacy1:
Dis list is a mere fabrication of lies. I'll help d forumn by digging into dis clans, gather dia marital rites list n post 2 d forumn 4 clarity. D Mbaise pple 4 example collect:
1) #20 as bride price,
2) yan ranging 4rm 10-40 tubers depending of d village,
3) 4-10cartons of beer, n 2-4cartons of malt
4) 1 or 2 stanless basin,
5) 2 piece of Wrapper (preferably Honlandis) 4 d woman n a piece of George wrapper 4 d man
etc. I bet wit a #120,000 u ar dia. Am talking 4rm experience dou stands 2 be corrected cux it varies depending on village.

My wife is from Mbaise... Your list is far from being the truth.... I bought eight wrappers.. Hollandaise.... Don't want to go into details

2 Likes

Re: 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria by Googleus(m): 6:23am On Jan 12, 2015
VickyyB:

lol. Are u also igbo?

VickyyB:

lol. Are u also igbo?

nope.....na yoruba boy i be,

i once date an igbo lady (ngo) wen i was in FUT minna, i lost her to them say ( she is on master in Europe ......to late ).
because graduated ahead her...

now am searching...

Still fantazzzzizining 4 another igbo xperince..

hmmmmmm(sobing)

vickybabby (in flavour voice)
Re: 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria by DeeBoiyy: 11:24pm On Jan 12, 2015
Googleus:

nope.....na yoruba boy i be,

i once date an igbo lady (ngo) wen i was in FUT minna, i lost her to them say ( she is on master in Europe ......to late ).
because graduated ahead her...

now am searching...

Still fantazzzzizining 4 another igbo xperince..

hmmmmmm(sobing)

vickybabby (in flavour voice)
guy, are you ok?
Re: 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria by PureLife22: 5:32am On Jan 13, 2015
Re: 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:55am On Jan 13, 2015
I can spend Billions marrying an Igbowoman but I can't accept a yolobawoman for free.

They lack economic and cultural values, they have poor personal and communal hygiene, the bleach a lot, they shed tats like Zebra, they fix eyelashes anyhow, anything about a yolobawoman is fake I don't know why and they don't even know how to cOok aswell.

Well I might manage a yolobagirl that grew up in East but generally yolobawomen are poor wife materials.
They won't aff any value to you but they always incur expenses behind your back like hiring somebody to wash her cloth, fetch water, take n return the kids to school...infact sorry any phoolish Igboman that dabble into a yolobawoma.

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:09am On Jan 13, 2015
Your lying because Igbos don't cohabitate, yolobas don't know what marriage is all about that is why a 32years old man in yolobaland have divorced 3wives in less than 5years.

In Igboland marriage is like a cult, before you will dabble into marriage you will first of all check your self to know if you have sustainable source of income, the bride's family will love to know what your doing so that they will be sure their daughter didn't die of hunger, the groom family will evaluate the purse of their son trying to marriage evaluating what he had achieved as sinngle before dabbling into marriage.

In Igboland, marriage is not something you start today and conclude tomorrow, the families of the bride and groom will be doing their own consultations and they will be discusing the possibilities of a succesful marriage behind their wards.
Marriage in Igboland is totally different from that of the yolobas where 2sachets of Indomie and a bottle of Pepsi can easily fetch you a babymama, a yolobawife can have uncountable uncles who Bleep her from the backdoor while the hubby is allowed to go around fucking his uncle concubines.

Yolobas are yet to build an institution around marriage, to yolobas marriage is all comers affairs, come as you.

laudate:

Bros, you lie! I have attended plenty Yoruba weddings, oh! If you doubt, just watch Channels TV on Sunday and you will see many Yoruba weddings. Cohabitation is seriously frowned upon. Those who do it move far away from family and friends into other towns to do so and they get little or no support from family, when things go wrong! grin

I have seen Igbo couples co-habiting very well in Lagos. Go to A papa, Ajegunle, Okokomaiko, Ogudu, Amuwo Odofin if you doubt me.. cheesywink

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria by laudate: 9:15pm On Jan 17, 2015
BuddahMonk:
Your lying because Igbos don't cohabitate, yolobas don't know what marriage is all about that is why a 32years old man in yolobaland have divorced 3wives in less than 5years.

In Igboland marriage is like a cult, before you will dabble into marriage you will first of all check your self to know if you have sustainable source of income, the bride's family will love to know what your doing so that they will be sure their daughter didn't die of hunger, the groom family will evaluate the purse of their son trying to marriage evaluating what he had achieved as sinngle before dabbling into marriage.

In Igboland, marriage is not something you start today and conclude tomorrow, the families of the bride and groom will be doing their own consultations and they will be discusing the possibilities of a succesful marriage behind their wards.
Marriage in Igboland is totally different from that of the yolobas where 2sachets of Indomie and a bottle of Pepsi can easily fetch you a babymama, a yolobawife can have uncountable uncles who Bleep her from the backdoor while the hubby is allowed to go around fucking his uncle concubines.

Yolobas are yet to build an institution around marriage, to yolobas marriage is all comers affairs, come as you.

Hahaha...! I will leave the Yoruba people to give you a response. Obviously, you have been going around the Yoruba towns with a blindfold round your eyes. Marriage is a big deal among them. I have lost count of how much I spent on aso-ebi for Yoruba weddings last year, including the aso-oke for all my friend's weddings,

As for the lie you recycled here that Igbo do not co-habit, go to church and ask for forgiveness. My cashier Ngozi has been living with her boyfriend for the past 3 years, because her father says until the guy builds a house in their village for him, he cannot marry Ngozi.

When you are ready, I will take you to Ajegunle, Okokomaiko, Amuwo-Odofin and Ijora to see the cohabiting Igbo couples with your korokoro eyes!
Re: 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria by kcstyle40(m): 12:03am On Jan 28, 2015
TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN.
IF YOU COME ACROSS A KOGI GIRL EXPECIALLY THE ONES FROM OLAMABORO L.G.A PLS RUN FOR YOUR LIFE.
THEY WILL GIVE YOU THEIR DAUGHTER IN EXCHANGE FOR YOUR HAPPINESS.
I RATHER HAVE A LADY STEAL MY CAR THAN TO STEAL MY SOURCE OF HAPPINESS AND JOY. SMH. ONLY GOD CAN SAVE MEN FROM SUCH WOMEN.
Re: 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria by laudate: 6:49pm On Jan 29, 2015
BuddahMonk:
I can spend Billions marrying an Igbowoman but I can't accept a yolobawoman for free.

They lack economic and cultural values, they have poor personal and communal hygiene, the bleach a lot, they shed tats like Zebra, they fix eyelashes anyhow, anything about a yolobawoman is fake I don't know why and they don't even know how to cOok aswell.

Well I might manage a yolobagirl that grew up in East but generally yolobawomen are poor wife materials.
They won't aff any value to you but they always incur expenses behind your back like hiring somebody to wash her cloth, fetch water, take n return the kids to school...infact sorry any phoolish Igboman that dabble into a yolobawoma.

Where are the Yoruba people to give you a befitting answer?? Kai, see how much bile is stuck in your throat..... Only little, shallow minds like yours' have the capacity to spew such tribalistic drivel.

Wetin concern me, sef ? Let the Yoruba folks reply you in kind....... Hehehehe! grin wink
Re: 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:11pm On Mar 09, 2015
Swiftlee:
You have a bias research! What about the Ogugu People in Igalaland. Kogi State. They have marriage cultural practices related to mbaise people. An intending groom is billed as high is 2M or more depending on the lady's academic qualies
It's a lie. I am from that area and I am married to an ogugu person with a pgd cert and I didn't pay more than 1000 Naira for bride price.
Re: 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria by Swiftlee(m): 7:34pm On Mar 09, 2015
EMMAACHILE:

It's a lie. I am from that area and I am married to an ogugu person with a pgd cert and I didn't pay more than 1000 Naira for bride price.
Dont cover the truth! You are not the only one from there,besides; tell me where I said its a must an intended groom must pay. Some cases the bills are waved but the groom will still be the soul sponsor of the wedding. Its a matter of the family, but the culture still without doubt support extortion from the groom. Tell Nairalanders the truth.
Re: 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:24pm On Mar 09, 2015
Swiftlee:

Dont cover the truth! You are not the only one from there,besides; tell me where I said its a must an intended groom must pay. Some cases the bills are waved but the groom will still be the soul sponsor of the wedding. Its a matter of the family, but the culture still without doubt support extortion from the groom. Tell Nairalanders the truth.
Lol. Support of wedding cost whether from the groom or brides' side depends on the family and this applies to most Nigerian cultures. Extortion according to you is a Nigerian thing especially poor rural dwellers and not an Ogugu thing.

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria by Pedro369(m): 11:35am On Jan 20, 2016
Too much talk... Just lash d girl ass... Wathin u get dick 4 guyz?
Re: 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria by vickydevoka(m): 4:53am On Sep 26, 2020
davdandam:
Igbo people and money chai at the end of the payments they tell you nna we 're not selling out our daughter o grin that's when you realize you've been scammed lol. Ndigbo kwenu
U head de dere
Re: 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria by vickydevoka(m): 4:55am On Sep 26, 2020
And yet I have seen Palm Wine Tappers, Okada Riders, Brick Layers, Mechanics, Shoe Makers and Hawkers got married from all these cultural groups.
They marry from their place. With n uneducated gal
Re: 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria by Xavie(m): 6:42am On Jan 05, 2023
ireneony:
hmmm.....since my dad is ibo....which means no nigeria man will marry me,? cry hmmmm...maybe i will marry a whiteman
but thank God am not from the list mentioned grin
if your dad is Ibo, you are definitely Ibo smiley wink
Re: 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria by Iykoto86(m): 8:56am On Jan 05, 2023
ireneony:
hmmm.....since my dad is ibo....which means no nigeria man will marry me,? cry hmmmm...maybe i will marry a whiteman
but thank God am not from the list mentioned grin
You are igbo and like you mentioned,not every part igbo is expensive.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos / The Koma People Of Adamawa State In Pictures / The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.