Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,828 members, 7,802,649 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:15 PM

Noah And Exodus, A Dismal Effort In Story Telling. - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Noah And Exodus, A Dismal Effort In Story Telling. (1171 Views)

Breaking News: See What ‘killed’ Ramsey Noah / Moses And Exodus Via Hollywood / Exodus: Why The Film Shouldn't Be Regarded More Than Its Entertainment Value (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Noah And Exodus, A Dismal Effort In Story Telling. by chriswopet(m): 5:37pm On Jan 07, 2015
We all love a good story, and it is safe to say that Hollywood represents the biggest collection of elite storytellers that we have around. Last year Darren Aronofsky and Ridley Scott decided to tell two powerful bible stories and it got a lot of theatre enthusiasts wagging their tongues (myself inclusive). However, it also awakened a certain part of the population, dormant for a reason. This group of people have been left disappointed many times by Hollywood's apparent ignorance and nonchalance, the Evangelical Christians. It was a precarious marriage, but if both parties could play their part, it could work. From a commercial standpoint, more eyes meant more money and the people of faith would not mind that relaxing break at the theatre, watching some of their favorite stories on the big screen. I wanted the movies to be good, this world needed a reminder that divine intervention is irreplaceable, maybe we can cut back on some aimless pursuits if we agree that the solution to our problems will come from a divine source. Ladies and gentlemen, it is 2015, and some of us can't yet wrap our heads around what we saw at the cinemas last year. It was a show of shame, an apparent disregard for history and the Bible, a catastrophe in storytelling ( unless it's an alternative version and not the original bible stories). They were inaccurate and boring, the original story had spark, talented directors could see and harness such spark. Here are some of the bizarre variations:

NOAH: Noah taking drugs( or whatever that was) to communicate with God, Noah's sons left without wives, the bad guy on board, fallen stonelike angels( Bible record shows that they slept with our women, I'm not sure they did it looking like that). etc

Exodus: Moses is a sword-wielding general who later becomes a renegade leading a group of insurgents, Pharaoh lives!, God depicted as an ill tempered boy. etc

We have learnt our lessons, we have been reminded of the reason Hollywood should stick to their cleverly contrived fantasies and artfully concocted adventures. It is true that the bible is not a story book,it does not have a blue eyed Christian Bale or even a deranged Russell Crowe, but when it comes to telling Bible stories nobody does it better. So, the next time you feel like seeing a biblical story, read the Bible.

Re: Noah And Exodus, A Dismal Effort In Story Telling. by Mynd44: 7:40pm On Jan 07, 2015
I saw Exodus today and well it was not even a good movie sef. And if going by the events in the bible, it was a fail....

Come in, that amount of water fell in Pharaoh and he lived please.

And what's with showing God as some mass murderer who does not really care?

Smh

1 Like

Re: Noah And Exodus, A Dismal Effort In Story Telling. by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jan 07, 2015
That stupid Noah was not even biblical
Re: Noah And Exodus, A Dismal Effort In Story Telling. by prof800(m): 9:54pm On Jan 07, 2015
Biblical explorations are coming up.

...and like I said before, the movie NOAH and the movie EXODUS have nothing to do with the Bible story. The scripts were written separately inspired by biblical, historical and islamic tales. So we shouldn't expect any particular accuracy but the writers' fiction.... straight from imagination.

Later the audience will understand and realise that these are not Bible adaptations but rather explorations.
When we have more like these being produced...

Noah was still better than Exodus but after I heard Ridley Scots side of the story, I forgive him for throwing such crap into the market.

2 Likes

Re: Noah And Exodus, A Dismal Effort In Story Telling. by toluxe0075: 11:47pm On Jan 07, 2015
prof800:

...and like I said before, the movie NOAH and the movie EXODUS have nothing to do with the Bible story. The scripts were written separately inspired by biblical, historical and islamic tales. So we shouldn't expect any particular accuracy but the writers fiction.... straight from imagination.

Later the audience will understand and realise that these are not Bible adaptations but rather explorations.

Noah was still better than Exodus but after I heard Ridley Scots side of the story, I forgive him for throwing such crap into the market.
Thumbs up bro!! You really got the point behind all this bible exploration!!

1 Like

Re: Noah And Exodus, A Dismal Effort In Story Telling. by chriswopet(m): 7:21am On Jan 08, 2015
prof800:
...and like I said before, the movie NOAH and the movie EXODUS have nothing to do with the Bible story. The scripts were written separately inspired by biblical, historical and islamic tales. So we shouldn't expect any particular accuracy but the writers' fiction.... straight from imagination.
toluxe0075:

Thumbs up bro!! You really got the point behind all this bible exploration!!
i highlighted that point too " unless it's an alternative version and not theoriginal bible stories)", however i feel some of these variations were unnecessary and convoluted. Rather than add to the fun they ended up sapping the flavor.
Re: Noah And Exodus, A Dismal Effort In Story Telling. by Nobody: 9:41am On Jan 08, 2015
As in ehh, I even regretted why I downloaded and watched Noah.. thinking also that this Exodus will be better was still a mistake. But I don't understand why they will derail from the main story to add theirs. Sic
Re: Noah And Exodus, A Dismal Effort In Story Telling. by Phiniter(m): 3:00am On Jan 09, 2015
prof800:

I agree they are not bible adaptations, mayhaps because the so called adaptations are not accurate to begin with in the first place
Re: Noah And Exodus, A Dismal Effort In Story Telling. by tpiander: 6:20pm On Aug 04, 2015
chriswopet:
i highlighted that point too " unless it's an alternative version and not theoriginal bible stories)", however i feel some of these variations were unnecessary and convoluted. Rather than add to the fun they ended up sapping the flavor.

the movies were meant for a wider audience than just Christians alone.

with Exodus, the main characters didn't look so African, that was rather distracting actually because you keep expecting to see African looking folks in the movie.

(1) (Reply)

Common Storylines In Nollywood Movies / Swiss Army Man (TBA) / #bbnaija: Video Of Miracle And Nina Kissing In The Bathroom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.