Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,317 members, 7,808,068 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:34 AM

Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. (6355 Views)

A Family Of 11 With, 4 Sets Of Identical Twins And A Son / Can I Start A Family With 70k? / Dear Family, A Depressed Soul Needs Your Advice. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Nobody: 8:13am On Jan 08, 2015
I never thought much about him before. All I knew was that there is this dude we employed who won't stop trying to compete with me to see who would get to the gate first to open it.

Just the other day (two days ago actually) I went downstairs in the early hours to wash my vehicle and voila he came out from nowhere to help out cause he knew there would be some form of reward at the end.

I saw that he was very hardworking and industrious. Not depending on just the salary we pay him at the end of the month but also making his day very productive while we are away. He has a small business he does which is an alternative income stream.

He earns enough to put a smile on each member of his family. His salary is no more than 15k and I am quite sure his other stream of income doesn't fetch him very much but still he, his wife and four children are ALWAYS cheerful.

In the evening when I come back, I meet them all gathered in front of their one room security post (which he has made a wonderful home) either praying together or enjoying some quality family time together.

I don't know how he, his wife and children can manage on a monthly income stream that is barely enough to take me through the month on feeding alone and manage to laugh and make the most out of life.

Truly we fret about so many things when only very few things matter in life.

The question that readily comes to my mind is: Despite earning more than this security guard, am I as happy as he is??

40 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by dkronicle(m): 8:18am On Jan 08, 2015
Just Ask him
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by undercat: 8:26am On Jan 08, 2015
That's for you to answer. Some people claim money cannot buy happiness anyway.
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by thorpido(m): 8:28am On Jan 08, 2015
If he meets up with basic needs like feeding and a place to sleep,I guess he can always make himself happy.Happiness to a great extent depends on the state of the mind.Having people you love and who love you around you also does a lot to your state of happiness.

8 Likes

Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Rich4god(m): 8:31am On Jan 08, 2015
It varies among pple and probably culture, then responsibilty... There are pple who will be in his financial level, but arent happy with the situation even though they dont spend much. There are others whose responsibilities have put a sad eyes in their faces, to the extent that even if they rich, the responsilities they have wont wide away the sad eyes.

Then, in terms of culture, there are probably a very high percentage of pple that fall under this category frm the northern part of this country than the south. Mostly because there culture/way of life is kinda easy on them. Therefore, they live a happy life even when having little or no income.

1 Like

Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Mynd44: 8:33am On Jan 08, 2015
The home makes one happy but a home is not measured by how much you have but how much you mean to one another.

Happiness is not a money thing but it is a sense of internal security and you know that although this person does not meet up to a certain financial standard, he gives his/her all for you.

Not everyone feels this way though and I don't blame em. It is just the way life is. Blame it on the earth's revolution or rotation if you like

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Nobody: 8:38am On Jan 08, 2015
undercat:
That's for you to answer. Some people claim money cannot buy happiness anyway.

I tend to agree with that thought process.

If money can buy happiness, Jonathan would have been one of the happiest men in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Nobody: 8:39am On Jan 08, 2015
thorpido:
If he meets up with basic needs like feeding and a place to sleep,I guess he can always make himself happy.Happiness to a great extent depends on the state of the mind.Having people you love and who love you around you also does a lot to your state of happiness.

You made a lot of sense brah!
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Nobody: 8:44am On Jan 08, 2015
Rich4god:
It varies among pple and probably culture, then responsibilty... There are pple who will be in his financial level, but arent happy with the situation even though they dont spend much. There are others whose responsibilities have put a sad eyes in their faces, to the extent that even if they rich, the responsilities they have wont wide away the sad eyes.

Then, in terms of culture, there are probably a very high percentage of pple that fall under this category frm the northern part of this country than the south. Mostly because there culture/way of life is kinda easy on them. Therefore, they live a happy life even when having little or no income.

Hmmm...

You just gave me a completely different perspective to this.

I agree with you that culture, especially as it relates to societal pressures, has a lot to do with my observations but going by your thoughts on the matter, it is still possible for someone with a similar cultural background as he to be unhappy if given the same opportunities as he has.
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by elantraceey(f): 8:44am On Jan 08, 2015
Money is not a source of happiness.

1 Like

Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Nobody: 8:49am On Jan 08, 2015
Mynd44:
The home makes one happy but a home is not measured by how much you have but how much you mean to one another.

Happiness is not a money thing but it is a sense of internal security and you know that although this person does not meet up to a certain financial standard, he gives his/her all for you.

Not everyone feels this way though and I don't blame em. It is just the way life is. Blame it on the earth's revolution or rotation if you like

Hmmm...

Really at a loss on who or what to blame here. I agree that happiness is not measured by a guy's financial prowess. More to it than that.

If only a happy home is subject to the control of the individual. A lot of factors go into this like you opined.

It starts from the individual but does not end there as other members of the family have to contribute their quota to make it a success story.

1 Like

Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by undercat: 8:54am On Jan 08, 2015
striktlymi:

If money can buy happiness, Jonathan would have been one of the happiest men in Nigeria.

Lol. You don't know that he isn't. Same for many of the other rich folk, the Dangote's, Gate's etc. You don't know that they aren't very happy. I think humans tend to be happy naturally, whether they have money or not. I've seen disabled roadside beggars having a fun family moment by the roadside in rush hour traffic. On the other end of the scale, if you've seen the antics of billionaire Richard Branson, you'd conclude that he's also very happy. People just strive towards happiness, in wealth or in poverty.
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Mynd44: 8:55am On Jan 08, 2015
striktlymi:

Hmmm...

Really at a loss on who or what to blame here. I agree that happiness is not measured by a guy's financial prowess. More to it than that.

If only a happy home is subject to the control of the individual. A lot of factors go into this like you opined.

It starts from the individual but does not end there as other members of the family have to contribute their quota to make it a success story.
True.

It is not enough that the family knows that the man is doing his best but he also needs to know he is appreciated for the little ( which means a lot) he is doing.

It has to be a two way street. Only then can they be happy.

1 Like

Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Nobody: 8:56am On Jan 08, 2015
Mynd44:

True.

It is not enough that the family knows that the man is doing his best but he also needs to know he is appreciated for the little ( which means a lot) he is doing.

It has to be a two way street. Only then can they be happy.

I agree totally!
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by FKBZ: 8:57am On Jan 08, 2015
striktlymi:

The wife has a huge part to play in his fullifilment in terms of management ,taking care of the kids,someone to always lean on etc.
If u get my point,a wife is what u need to bring that fullfillment.going home everyday to ur lonely house no matter how much u make wouldnt make u happy.
So ogbeni u need a woman .......lol

1 Like

Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Nobody: 8:59am On Jan 08, 2015
undercat:

Lol. You don't know that he isn't. Same for many of the other rich folk, the Dangote's, Gate's etc. You don't know that they aren't very happy. I think humans tend to be happy naturally, whether they have money or not. I've seen disabled roadside beggars having a fun family moment by the roadside in rush hour traffic. On the other end of the scale, if you've seen the antics of billionaire Richard Branson, you'd conclude that he's also very happy. People just strive towards happiness, in wealth or in poverty.

I agree!
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Nobody: 9:07am On Jan 08, 2015
FKBZ:

The wife has a huge part to play in his fullifilment in terms of management ,taking care of the kids,someone to always lean on etc.
If u get my point,a wife is what u need to bring that fullfillment.going home everyday to ur lonely house no matter how much u make wouldnt make u happy.
So ogbeni u need a woman .......lol

Not sure if I need a lady to go home to. I do want a lady but the thought of having someone who would be a major heartache in the short or long run is more than enough to make being single a safe haven.

I believe the duty of bringing up the kids is not just in the woman's exclusive list. That is an area where both parties should truly work together to ensure that the child or children imbibe family values as against imbibing all sought from school or from friends.
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Nobody: 9:15am On Jan 08, 2015
Is it the fact that he has a family or that he is happy that intrigues you? Cos I don't get the picture. One can be perfectly happy alone, all by himself, without a family.
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Nobody: 9:23am On Jan 08, 2015
goofyone:
Is it the fact that he has a family or that he is happy that intrigues you? Cos I don't get the picture. One can be perfectly happy alone, all by himself, without a family.

It intrigues me to see him and his family family happy without throwing chairs at each other in the midst of a very low income. They actually live below the poverty line and seem happy.

One can be single and happy...I agree!
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by FKBZ: 9:32am On Jan 08, 2015
striktlymi:

Not sure if I need a lady to go home to. I do want a lady but the thought of having someone who would be a major heartache in the short or long run is more than enough to make being single a safe haven.

I believe the duty of bringing up the kids is not just in the woman's exclusive list. That is an area where both parties should truly work together to ensure that the child or children imbibe family values as against imbibing all sought from school or from friends.
Lol u are a case,who tells u having a wife causes a major heartache in either short or long run.
Ur second point true,but u being a career person,the wife plays the major role in training of the child.
So I say again ogbeni go and get a wife.... tongue
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Nobody: 9:36am On Jan 08, 2015
FKBZ:

Lol u are a case,who tells u having a wife causes a major heartache in either short or long run.
Ur second point true,but u being a career person,the wife plays the major role in training of the child.
So I say again ogbeni go and get a wife.... tongue

I am not just a case but a major case grin

Who says the wife can't have a career of her own too? Matter of fact I think I am drawn to career women. tongue
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Melahou(m): 9:37am On Jan 08, 2015
You curtail your responsiblies and spending based on you income...
Am sure if you earn 5million a mouth you'll send you kids abroad for studies.
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Nobody: 9:38am On Jan 08, 2015
Melahou:
You curtail your responsiblies and spending based on you income...
Am sure if you earn 5million a mouth you'll send you kids abroad for studies.

Hmmm...

Maybe!
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Nobody: 9:42am On Jan 08, 2015
Broda when I read ur post,i became tired!wat are we fighting for sef?just stay happy!

1 Like

Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by mutter(f): 10:07am On Jan 08, 2015
A HOUSE IS NOT A HOME!

You may live in a mansion and not have a home. This man has a home and that with his trust in God makes him contented.

Just a suggestion, please maybe you can think of increasing his income or occasional assistance to motivate him further.

4 Likes

Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by jnrbayano(m): 10:09am On Jan 08, 2015
The wife must be such a superwoman, a real helper God made her to be, not forgetting that the man must have stiffened his resolve to be happy no matter what.

1 Like

Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Nobody: 10:29am On Jan 08, 2015
elantraceey:
Money is not a source of happiness.
Yeah, this is somewhat true, money can buy bed but not sleep..it can buy you material things........Happiness is a state of the mind, it's all about being content, grateful and satisfied with what you've whether big or small while still struggling to make things better. ...

5 Likes

Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Nobody: 10:39am On Jan 08, 2015
Happiness is a state of the mind..

We tend to think only people around us will make us happy,happiness outside radiates the happiness inside..

We live our lives to impress people,who don't even give a damn about our existence,or well-being..

Self contentment should be our watchword.

3 Likes

Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Nobody: 10:54am On Jan 08, 2015
If they are from the north its probably how they were brought up.
They are raised to believe everything is in Gods hands and one should accept his lot in life be content and not complain.

Hence a Hausa man will leave his wares and follow you several kilometres if you forget your change or you over pay him.

This belief system has both advantage and disadvantages. Advantage being contentment and honesty. Disadvantages being that most will lack ambition especially those coming from the humble background. They dont speak up against bad leadership because they reason God put the person there hence Northern leaders have for years gotten away witg crass stealing. An emir once resisted nornadic education because he reasoned that if all kids went to school there will be no one to feed his horses.

Money however doesn't guarantee happiness, Dangote for instance has married serially thrice and all the wives will stay a bit and leave, he is currently single and not ready to marry

3 Likes

Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by sweetbaby22(f): 11:01am On Jan 08, 2015
I find you and your story interesting wink

I feel happiness and money are two different things.

Money can NOT buy happiness neither can happiness bring money.

You have to learn how to be happy despite you condition, whether rich or poor.

There are quite a lot of things that can make us happy, like the security guard is got a loving wife and FOUR kids.

That's enough for him to ne happy and thankful to God

There are so many rich people both rich and poor looking for such.

Now your question "am I as happy as he is"

First, you need to think of WHAT makes you happy?

And to know that you need to search deep within you.

Options: Family, Relationship, Career, Business and so on.....

You don’t want to be rich, you want to be happy.

Many people mistakenly believe that the former leads to the latter.

While it’s certainly true that money can help you achieve your goals, provide for your future, and make life more enjoyable, merely having money doesn’t guarantee happiness.

Personally, I feel happiness is worth more than having riches.
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by 53cur3m0d3(m): 11:04am On Jan 08, 2015
Happiness is a revelation of your inner workings. It happens on the inside of you and reflects on the outside...
Re: Having A Family...a Lesson From My Security Guard. by Nobody: 11:25am On Jan 08, 2015
mutter:
A HOUSE IS NOT A HOME!

You may live in a mansion and not have a home. This man has a home and that with his trust in God makes him contented.

Just a suggestion, please maybe you can think of increasing his income or occasional assistance to motivate him further.

Good suggestion!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Your Shoe Size Can Tell Your Age / Still Bearing Your Maiden Name After Marriage? / I Met A Man!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.