Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,715 members, 7,802,162 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:11 AM

Why Is It That Nigerian Students Abroad Usually Have Higher Grades? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is It That Nigerian Students Abroad Usually Have Higher Grades? (2099 Views)

Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate / Grades For Sex: Nekede Polytechnic Student Begs Lecturer For Help / Nigerian Students Abroad Are On Their Own - Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is It That Nigerian Students Abroad Usually Have Higher Grades? by mesoade(m): 1:51pm On Jan 08, 2015
I've noticed that Nigerian students abroad mostly have first class or atleast a second class upper,most of which can't get more than a 2.2 if they were to study in Nigeria.
In Niperia here,reverse is the case,we hardly have first class for reasons unknown to me, is it because of the lack of quality infrastructures?,is it because of lecturers? Or because of the irrelavant courses introduced in ones line of study(e.g. A medicine student reading philosophy and logic,e.t.c), or because of our educational system?,i just want to know why.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerian Students Abroad Usually Have Higher Grades? by Melahou(m): 2:23pm On Jan 08, 2015
sorting is the other of the day...
most graduates with even second class upper cant even defend it...
quality of education is poor in Nigeria
Re: Why Is It That Nigerian Students Abroad Usually Have Higher Grades? by Skillz02(m): 2:44pm On Jan 08, 2015
Wonderful thread, I've thought of that as well
Re: Why Is It That Nigerian Students Abroad Usually Have Higher Grades? by thrizzle(m): 3:06pm On Jan 08, 2015
Well most lecturers here want to frustrate students because they believe they were also frustrated when they were students, so now it has become a circle.

Another reason is that our Universities aren't very conducive for learning, the libraries aren't equipped/safe, students that go to study at night end up getting robbed or raped.

In Nigerian universities you can't have a proper conversation with your lecturer let alone your course adviser, In my university we don't get to see our results on time so how does a student who doesn't know where he stands plan effectively for an exam, when a student finds out he has a carryover three days to the exam how does he study to pass. In fact in my uni you virtually have to pay an amount of money to see your result. Imagine a class of 90 paying 500 each to one man just to see their results. The educational system in Nigeria is pathetic and in a sorry state.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerian Students Abroad Usually Have Higher Grades? by mesoade(m): 3:10pm On Jan 08, 2015
Melahou:
sorting is the other of the day...
most graduates with even second class upper cant even defend it...
quality of education is poor in Nigeria
graduates that have 2nd class upper in Nigeria,has a higher chance of having a first class abroad
Re: Why Is It That Nigerian Students Abroad Usually Have Higher Grades? by mesoade(m): 3:11pm On Jan 08, 2015
thrizzle:
Well most lecturers here want to frustrate students because they believe they were also frustrated when they were students, so now it has become a circle.

Another reason is that our Universities aren't very conducive for learning, the libraries aren't equipped/safe, students that go to study at night end up getting robbed or raped.

In Nigerian universities you can't have a proper conversation with your lecturer let alone your course adviser, In my university we don't get to see our results on time so how does a student who doesn't know where he stands plan effectively for an exam, when a student finds out he has a carryover three days to the exam how does he study to pass. In fact in my uni you virtually have to pay an amount of money to see your result. Imagine a class of 90 paying 500 each to one man just to see their results. The educational system in Nigeria is pathetic and in a sorry state.
very insightful . . And which university are you talking about?
Re: Why Is It That Nigerian Students Abroad Usually Have Higher Grades? by thrizzle(m): 3:27pm On Jan 08, 2015
mesoade:
very insightful . . And which university are you talking about?
Uniport
Re: Why Is It That Nigerian Students Abroad Usually Have Higher Grades? by Chinks(m): 4:02pm On Jan 08, 2015
thrizzle:

Uniport
I thought UNIPORT to be a federal university. Why should students pay to see their results...that's abnormal!
Re: Why Is It That Nigerian Students Abroad Usually Have Higher Grades? by OnyeEgo1(m): 8:03pm On Jan 08, 2015
I had a lecture some few days ago where my lecturer said n i quote ''when ur marks are much we are meant to reduce it for proper moderation'', i was like why sir??, he kudnt give me a tangible answer and i felt bad terribly dat day.....

We live in a SADISTIC clime, where everyone is hurting d oda 4 no just cause, datz wot makes us stronger n determine, such dat when we get to an enabling environment, we get overwhelm by d ease n tend to perform above per

my take
Re: Why Is It That Nigerian Students Abroad Usually Have Higher Grades? by mesoade(m): 7:10am On Jan 09, 2015
OnyeEgo1:
I had a lecture some few days ago where my lecturer said n i quote ''when ur marks are much we are meant to reduce it for proper moderation'', i was like why sir??, he kudnt give me a tangible answer and i felt bad terribly dat day.....

We live in a SADISTIC clime, where everyone is hurting d oda 4 no just cause, datz wot makes us stronger n determine, such dat when we get to an enabling environment, we get overwhelm by d ease n tend to perform above per

my take
exactly! ,Now i guess an average Nigerian is brilliant and can scale through university education successfully
Re: Why Is It That Nigerian Students Abroad Usually Have Higher Grades? by OnyeEgo1(m): 7:27am On Jan 09, 2015
mesoade:
exactly! ,Now i guess an average Nigerian is brilliant and can scale through university education successfully

when u know how to drive in a bad road, n per adventure u find urself in Europe wia dia is bad road, won't u drive like someone who is under d influence of alcohol, 4 esp mikel obi of CFC

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That Nigerian Students Abroad Usually Have Higher Grades? by osenidvdg(m): 7:46am On Jan 09, 2015
Don't let us shy away from the truth that our leaders right from political leaders to academic leaders,class rep ,parents all contribute to poor educational system in our country.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerian Students Abroad Usually Have Higher Grades? by mesoade(m): 7:48am On Jan 09, 2015
OnyeEgo1:

when u know how to drive in a bad road, n per adventure u find urself in Europe wia dia is bad road, won't u drive like someone who is under d influence of alcohol, 4 esp mikel obi of CFC
lol,i think you meant where there is no bad road
Re: Why Is It That Nigerian Students Abroad Usually Have Higher Grades? by AreaFada2: 7:17am On Sep 20, 2015
Many reasons: the learning environment is conducive. Those admitted are there on merit. Lecturers are excellent. The drive to succeed when away from home is big. Many of us did menial jobs, suffered to fund our studies. You just have to do well. I was at university with rich Western kids, despite entering with top grades and been through £20,000 a year private boarding secondary schools, those without motivation ended up with 3rd class and lucky ones with a 2.2. The 5 to 10% who got first class were very bright ones, many on national scholarship from India, China, South Korea, Argentina etc. Others were very motivated white middle class or Africans getting first or 2.1. These are top schools I'm talking about. As for the average ranked schools most Africans come to attend, I can assume that there might be less competition since the very brightest go to Ivy league/Red Brick/ Russell Group elite universities.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerian Students Abroad Usually Have Higher Grades? by Sessyjee(m): 8:41am On Sep 20, 2015
AreaFada2:
Many reasons: the learning environment is conducive. Those admitted are there on merit. Lecturers are excellent. The drive to succeed when away from home is big. Many of us did menial jobs, suffered to fund our studies. You just have to do well. I was at university with rich Western kids, despite entering with top grades and been through £20,000 a year private boarding secondary schools, those without motivation ended up with 3rd class and lucky ones with a 2.2. The 5 to 10% who got first class were very bright ones, many on national scholarship from India, China, South Korea, Argentina etc. Others were very motivated white middle class or Africans getting first or 2.1. These are top schools I'm talking about. As for the average ranked schools most Africans come to attend, I can assume that there might be less competition since the very brightest go to Ivy league/Red Brick/ Russell Group elite universities.
Yeah true that, The drive to succeed when away from home is big...
In my opinion, Major challenges facing students over here in Nigeria are no longer there wen you are studying abroad e.g:
Lack of textbooks, Limited Access to the internet for research, Unmotivated, Undedicated Lecturers, Lack of food stuff and provisions (An hungry stomach hinders concentration during study. Mind you, that is a major reason why Africa is way behind in research and development too: Before a young lad sits down to think about inventing something new, 'Mr hunger' reminds him he needs to go hustle for food first...lolz)
While when you get to Yankee(USA) everything is just 'perfect'... Motivating Hod, your Dean is accessible (you can walk up to him and discuss just anything that has to do with academics with him) your Lecturer can monitor everyone in class easily.. The grading sytem also helps over there... Down here most schools grade: 70% - exam 10% - attendance 20% - CA tests
Over there it is more of Exams/Research so your study isn't just abstract...
Re: Why Is It That Nigerian Students Abroad Usually Have Higher Grades? by AreaFada2: 9:38am On Sep 20, 2015
Sessyjee:

Yeah true that, The drive to succeed when away from home is big...
In my opinion, Major challenges facing students over here in Nigeria are no longer there wen you are studying abroad e.g:
Lack of textbooks, Limited Access to the internet for research, Unmotivated, Undedicated Lecturers, Lack of food stuff and provisions (An hungry stomach hinders concentration during study. Mind you, that is a major reason why Africa is way behind in research and development too: Before a young lad sits down to think about inventing something new, 'Mr hunger' reminds him he needs to go hustle for food first...lolz)
While when you get to Yankee(USA) everything is just 'perfect'... Motivating Hod, your Dean is accessible (you can walk up to him and discuss just anything that has to do with academics with him) your Lecturer can monitor everyone in class easily.. The grading sytem also helps over there... Down here most schools grade: 70% - exam 10% - attendance 20% - CA tests
Over there it is more of Exams/Research so your study isn't just abstract...
Well it depends on school & course. But exam is 65% to 90%. Certainly in science, engineering, medical/dental etc. We had first test on first Friday of first term of first year. Totally unscheduled. grin Many foreign students were still abroad sorting visa!

In clinical disciplines, without a complete log book and passed assessment in your clinical placement, no chance to even sit end of year exam. Automatic fail. Because facilities and course delivery are impeccable, expectations are high too. Just to pass a clinical paper can be 87 to 95%. To whom much is given, much is expected.

No sorting lecturer to upgrade marks. Since the thread is talking about 9ja abroad, most are not politicians' kids. Most have to work to earn money.

How many Law/engineering/medical students in 9ja do cleaning from 9pm to 6am before going to school in the morning? All that available food, light, housing, good transport have to be paid for. If you cannot pay, you don't get them. Not to mention expensive school fees.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Waec!!! Biology And Agric Pratical Specimen / Pls Which Nigerian University Accept MBA Degree For Phd / How A School Timetable Is Formed In Benue State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.