Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,948 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:49 AM

Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo (26004 Views)

Sick Leave: Buhari Could Remain In London For 4 More Months - Sahara Reporters / N2.1bn Arms Money Scandal: What I Know About EFCC Probe Of Dokpesi — Lawyer / Buhari Could Not Fill His Presidency Form . PHOTO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo by ShowYourCertificate: 3:34pm On Jan 08, 2015
It is a pure understatement to say that Nigeria's 2015 election is going to be a defining one. Whatever the outcome is, in more ways than one, it will define what becomes of Nigeria tomorrow. The stakes, as they say, have never been higher.

These same statements must have been made about past elections in Nigeria. But anyone with an eagle's eye will tell you that it has never been as true as it is this time around.

We have transitioned from a military rule to a civilian rule. We have also transitioned from one civilian rule to another civilian rule. What we have never done is to transition from one civilian political party rule to another. In fact, Nigeria has technically been under the rule of one party since independence – the center right party that has been called different names under different Republics, NPC, NPN, NRC and PDP. No opposition party has ever wrestled power from this mammoth. By all indications, this is the closest that the opposition has come to accomplishing that. Some may even say that the opposition is at the verge of dethroning the ruling party.

Which is why it is disheartening that less than 40 days to the 2015 presidential election, the presidential candidates are not yet involved in vigorous debates on very serious issues facing Nigeria. Most troubling is that Nigerians whose future will be in the hands of the eventual winner are not relentlessly demanding that these candidates appear before them and answer questions about their plans for the country and practical ways they hope to accomplish their goals.

The danger in this oversight is that the nation risks electing or re - electing a president based on promises and projections that have no basis in reality. Doing so will put Nigerians in a position where four years from now, they will regret not doing more to scrutinize these candidates before handing over the future of 170 million people to either of them.

The urgency of this is so glaring and it is demoralizing to note that the only debate going on seems to be about the academic qualification of the candidate of the opposition party, the All Progressive Congress (APC), Gen. Muhammadu Buhari.

In the past, issues of this nature have been handled with some degree of unseriousness. Two instances that quickly come to mind were the Bola Tinubu certificate scandal and the James Ibori phantom criminal records both in Nigeria and in Britain. They both came back to bite us in many ways.

Part of the credibility gap the opposition party faces in Nigeria today stems from unfinished businesses surrounding Bola Tinubu’s ascension to power, academic certificates and wealth accumulation while in power. In the case of James Ibori, Nigeria’s unwillingness to get to the bottom of his criminal records before he assumed office ended up biting Nigeria in the butt.

The excitement over Buhari’s academic certificate is understandable. It is important. It is especially important for a candidate advocating change.

Therefore, it is imperative that Buhari not only finds his certificates or their equivalents, but also presents them for the people to see. That’s all that Buhari needs to do to extinguish this distraction.

Here is what the constitution says: To run for president, a candidate must have a school leaving certificate or its equivalent.

Buhari should not have any difficulty finding an equivalent of a school certificate. And he should find it.

Some Nigerians born after the Civil War do not know that there was a time when there was no West African Examination Council (WAEC). Buhari, born in 1942 and joined the army in 1962, probably had none of those traditional certificates that we hold today. He should come out and state his path clearly. Did he finish primary school? Did he finish secondary school? What primary school? What secondary school? Even if he didn't, whatever certificates he received in military training should fulfill the minimum requirement.

What is not acceptable is to let this linger. With less than 40 days to an election, the distraction is damaging to the candidacy of Buhari. More importantly, if he becomes the eventual winner, it will be damaging to the legitimacy of his presidency. And Nigeria, as delicate as it is now, should be spared such dilemma, especially when it can be done easily.

Perhaps, Nigeria’s political landscape needs its own glasnost and perestroika. It needs openness and restructuring. In this age of connectivity, when people in remote parts of Africa are aware of standards in other parts of the world, the people’s expectations are increasing. The politicians need to be aware of that and rise to the occasion. Those who seize the opportunity will rise to the top while those who wallow in the old and discredited models will ultimately be discarded in that dreaded dustbin of history.

Following due process is one virtue that has been undermined by Nigeria’s elite. But it is one that when followed protects the society. If this election does not accomplish anything else, let it nudge Nigeria towards best practices.

In other parts of the world, a man like Buhari, or even Bola Tinubu, who have been in public life for years would have their story well known by the people. In fact, people like them would have written their memoirs and autobiographies that there would not be doubts at this point about who they are, where they come from, what school they attended and what they did while in office. These may be petty matters in the scale of things but, if we don’t get the little things right, we cannot get the big ones right.

Buhari’s certificate saga is beginning to look more like Obama’s birth certificate saga. In Obama’s case it was steeped in a conspiracy theory that Barack Obama was born in Kenya. The ultimate goal was to delegitimize the Obama’s presidency. Obama allowed the so-called birth certificate scandal to linger because he had the time before his re-election campaign. Buhari has no such time. And as a candidate pushing for change, he needs to epitomize that change in every sphere.

Buhari should end the certificate scandal the same way Obama ended his birth certificate matter.

And for the rest of us, we need to move on to the real debate about the real issues facing the nation and that should be the candidates’ goals- especially Buhari.
http://saharareporters.com/2015/01/07/certificate-scandal-what-buhari-could-learn-obama-rudolf-ogoo-okonkwo

68 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo by ShowYourCertificate: 3:35pm On Jan 08, 2015
This excerpt below is the part I love the most in that article :

What is not acceptable is to let this linger. With less than 40 days to an election, the distraction is damaging to the candidacy of Buhari. More importantly, if he becomes the eventual winner, it will be damaging to the legitimacy of his presidency. And Nigeria, as delicate as it is now, should be spared such dilemma, especially when it can be done easily.

#BuhariShowYourCertificate

144 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo by Montaque(m): 3:39pm On Jan 08, 2015
hasn't it been found since then?

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo by Gboliwe: 3:47pm On Jan 08, 2015
Montaque:

You can only find something that is missing not something that doesn't exist!
Buhari is a stark illiterate fulani man who just managed to get a gun and join the rank of the military.

101 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo by ShowYourCertificate: 3:52pm On Jan 08, 2015
Montaque:
My bother it hasn't been found o. This certificate controversy still lingers and its a major blow to Buhari.

#BuhariShowUsYourCertificate abeg grin grin grin

83 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo by SOUNDKING: 4:41pm On Jan 08, 2015
Buhari abeg naija don mature pass that rubish when people are made Generals without F.S.L.CERT. And people who has Msc are not promoted because he is not from the ''NUTS''.

74 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo by tit(f): 5:05pm On Jan 08, 2015
Buhari has sent in an affidavit.
He has Masters degree.
Why are you people still disturbing us?

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo by ElFenomeno1: 5:06pm On Jan 08, 2015
tit:
Buhari has sent in an affidavit.
He has Masters degree.
Why are you people still disturbing us?

I wonder!

3 Likes

Re: Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo by Bawss1(m): 5:10pm On Jan 08, 2015
So I don't need to go to school, all I need is an affidavit? Why didn't anybody tell me this years ago grin grin

129 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo by rozayx5(m): 5:13pm On Jan 08, 2015
so my dad was right afterall , Buhari is truly an illiterate sad

84 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo by ShowYourCertificate: 5:30pm On Jan 08, 2015
ElFenomeno1:

I wonder!
She was only being sarcastic grin.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo by Nobody: 5:35pm On Jan 08, 2015
Maybe what we call Primary School Leaving Certificate is what was called Standard 6 Certificate back then, I'm not too sure though but whatever the case is Buhari should just present the one he has. My father who was born in 1943 has his own which he proudly displayed in his living room.

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo by anonimi: 6:36pm On Jan 08, 2015
And Nigeria, as delicate as it is now, should be spared such dilemma, especially when it can be done easily.

Perhaps the real dilemma is that it can NOT be done easily sad

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo by meforyou1(m): 6:59pm On Jan 08, 2015
Buhari a cattle rearer was picked and pushed into the army by jihadist ahmadu bello to attain the northernization agenda. The man didn't attend secondary school

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo by tron23(m): 7:13pm On Jan 08, 2015
True talk

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo by VICTORCIZA(m): 8:12pm On Jan 08, 2015
BUHARI WE NIGERIA YOUTHS ARE WAITING!!!
SHOW US YOUR CERTS

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo by Whizpeter(m): 9:07pm On Jan 08, 2015
Can I borrow this land?
Would return it when Buhari wins the election

6 Likes

Re: Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo by Big4wig(m): 9:08pm On Jan 08, 2015
Buhari my grandfather is dead cry who was ur age mate.. Go rest and eat all d money u saved before death go come...

To d ladies once you friend zone me don't even attempt to hit me up anymore. go text the dude that's going to cheat on you. angry

3 Likes

Re: Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo by Innodon(m): 9:08pm On Jan 08, 2015
he has nothing to learn.

2 Likes

Re: Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo by simplibaba(m): 9:08pm On Jan 08, 2015
A
Re: Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo by Nobody: 9:08pm On Jan 08, 2015
Make una free Buhari abeg, afterall nobody asked Obj for certificates neither did anyone ask Late. Yaradua.

3 Likes

Re: Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo by natureblack(m): 9:09pm On Jan 08, 2015
Buhari is nothing but failure .....there ain't any other way to spell it .

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo by englishmart(m): 9:09pm On Jan 08, 2015
buhari needs to attend classes to learn those things.

Such things ain't cognitive

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo by Chuks16(m): 9:09pm On Jan 08, 2015
gej till i bhari recite psalm 23

34 Likes

Re: Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo by Chuks16(m): 9:10pm On Jan 08, 2015
gej till buhari recite psalm 23

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo by MaZterZ(m): 9:10pm On Jan 08, 2015
k
Re: Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo by decode55(m): 9:10pm On Jan 08, 2015
He will lose. He's a serial loser undecided

26 Likes

Re: Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo by seedorfg(m): 9:11pm On Jan 08, 2015
GMB Till gej get sense

5 Likes

Re: Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo by Bifwoli: 9:11pm On Jan 08, 2015
GMB was not afraid of guns, bombs, capture, torture, or death but he was clearly afraid of books,libraries and pens

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jan 08, 2015
Where he keep am since?

Those years he contest was he using fake result then?....

Abeg make he provide his result o.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Certificate Scandal: What Buhari Could Learn From Obama - Rudolf Ogoo Okonkwo by emeka94(m): 9:11pm On Jan 08, 2015
I've said in a different thread that I don't understand the kind of issueless politics, politicians and government we have in Nigeria. People support candidates based on sentiments and not facts.
Ok good and fine, GMB fought corruption as military head of state, how will he do it as a civilian president in a democratic dispensation? Remember the dude was in full control of the different arms of government (dictator!); but now we are in a democracy where power is equally shared between the arms of government. If par adventure, the good general wins the election, will he arrest ( work of the executive) and try and sentence corrupt elite (a function of the judiciary enabled by the legislations passed by NASS)?
I think it's time the good general comes out an state, concretely, how he will fight this hydra headed thing called corruption. Again what he's say on the economy. How will he build it and maintain and diversify it?
This are the questions we should be asking instead of shouting sai Buhari and GeJ 2019 up and down. Remember what happened after everyone jumped on the Jonah bandwagon in 2011. As someone said on NL that he doesn't like herd Abi Na crowd mentality, it's always wrong.
There are some voters, like me, that are still on the fence. Presenting issues like this will help sway us.

By the way wetin be sai and Kai

25 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Blackout: 19 Plants Shut As Militant Attacks Shrink Gas Supply / I’m Not Emir Of Lagos, Sarkin Fulani Clears Air / Dino Melaye Shares Prayer Points On Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.