Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,743 members, 7,806,036 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:31 AM

The Entire Internet May Crash On June 30 And Google Wants To Stop It - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Entire Internet May Crash On June 30 And Google Wants To Stop It (1762 Views)

The Look Of The Entire Universe In One Picture -awesome! / Pictures That Will Make You Re-evaluate Your Entire Existence - Yahoo / June 30 Will Contain 61 Seconds Instead Of The Usual 60. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Entire Internet May Crash On June 30 And Google Wants To Stop It by Tallesty1(m): 3:52pm On Jan 08, 2015
So here’s something interesting, 2015 is going to be a little longer than other years, quite literally, and we do mean little. In order to account for the slowing down of the Earth’s rotation, scientists have added one measly second to the calendar.

Doesn’t make a difference right? Google thinks it does.

Apparently, the addition of a second can break the Internet. So, Google is reportedly taking preemptive action for the same.

The extra second will be added to the calendar on June 30, precisely at 11.59.60.

How ? Well, clocks will stand still for an entire second in order to add the time. Even though hardly anyone will realise it, the day will have 86,401 seconds instead of 86,400 seconds.

This will have consequences for the Internet and computers at large.

This had happened back in 2012, when websites like LinkedIn, Reddit and Yelp had gone down. The reason for the same is that the extra second cause computers to malfunction as more and more computers sync with atomic clocks today, because of which, even the difference of one second could cause them to malfunction.

Further, Google has reportedly figured out how to prevent websites from crashing during this time. The search giant will be adding a millisecond to its system clocks gradually, instead of pausing for a second on the day.

As a result, the computers will be corrected over time and won’t have to count the same second twice.

Let's hope it works.

SOURCE

2 Likes

Re: The Entire Internet May Crash On June 30 And Google Wants To Stop It by MizMyColi(f): 3:56pm On Jan 08, 2015
Huh?
So you mean human beings have been controlling our time?

I thought it was remote controlled by a supernatural being.

O ga o.

1 Like

Re: The Entire Internet May Crash On June 30 And Google Wants To Stop It by alienvirus: 3:58pm On Jan 08, 2015
MizMyColi:
Huh?
O ga o.
Madam, you will understand it better if you read from the source.

@topic, Wonders of global village.
Re: The Entire Internet May Crash On June 30 And Google Wants To Stop It by Elparaiso(m): 4:11pm On Jan 08, 2015
ehen.......
some people will cone here now and say Buhari is the reason the earth is slowing down.....

#SaiBuhari
Re: The Entire Internet May Crash On June 30 And Google Wants To Stop It by Tallesty1(m): 4:11pm On Jan 08, 2015
MizMyColi:
Huh?

O ga o.
Day and Night abi Minutes and Seconds?

Sha, me sef no fit explain am that's why I included the source.
Re: The Entire Internet May Crash On June 30 And Google Wants To Stop It by Tallesty1(m): 4:13pm On Jan 08, 2015
Elparaiso:
ehen.......
some people will cone here now and say Buhari is the reason the earth is slowing down.....

#SaiBuhari
Oga na polifight section be this?

No carry ur campaign enter my thread abeg
Re: The Entire Internet May Crash On June 30 And Google Wants To Stop It by Elparaiso(m): 4:18pm On Jan 08, 2015
Tallesty1:
Oga na polifight section be this?

No carry ur campaign enter my thread abeg
sorry bro.
I just finished arguing with one PDP fanatic.....
na the vexation I carry reach here.

To the topic.....
why them ni tell us for news na.....

And for those of you celebrating you bdays July 1....
This is a sign from God
Re: The Entire Internet May Crash On June 30 And Google Wants To Stop It by herald9: 4:49pm On Jan 08, 2015
I'm sure we won't even notice...
With my airtel, it takes me like 5seconds to load a single page,so if we have one second of internet malfunction... I'll just blame it on network....
Re: The Entire Internet May Crash On June 30 And Google Wants To Stop It by KidProgrammer(m): 6:19pm On Jan 08, 2015
This post is Smh
Re: The Entire Internet May Crash On June 30 And Google Wants To Stop It by decode55(m): 6:21pm On Jan 08, 2015
hmm. Interesting
Re: The Entire Internet May Crash On June 30 And Google Wants To Stop It by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jan 08, 2015
man and science, the theories never stops.
Re: The Entire Internet May Crash On June 30 And Google Wants To Stop It by Nmeri17: 10:20pm On Jan 08, 2015
decode55:
hmm. Interesting

this the type of threads yo account should be restricted to cheesy
Re: The Entire Internet May Crash On June 30 And Google Wants To Stop It by decode55(m): 11:06pm On Jan 08, 2015
Nmeri17:

this the type of threads yo account should be restricted to cheesy

LoL. Roving man cheesy cheesy
Re: The Entire Internet May Crash On June 30 And Google Wants To Stop It by juianne95(f): 7:06am On Jan 09, 2015
As long as it dsnt affect our fones..dey shld continue
Re: The Entire Internet May Crash On June 30 And Google Wants To Stop It by Tallesty1(m): 8:42pm On Jan 09, 2015
juianne95:
As long as it dsnt affect our fones..dey shld continue
If it affect ur phone nko?
Re: The Entire Internet May Crash On June 30 And Google Wants To Stop It by juianne95(f): 11:14pm On Jan 09, 2015
Tallesty1:
If it affect ur phone nko?
dey will buy me new one
Re: The Entire Internet May Crash On June 30 And Google Wants To Stop It by Tallesty1(m): 6:30am On Jan 10, 2015
juianne95:
dey will buy me new one
Lmao............

You are not serious.
Re: The Entire Internet May Crash On June 30 And Google Wants To Stop It by Nobody: 7:10am On Jan 10, 2015
Elparaiso:
ehen.......
l

#SaiBuhari
 will you please stop all
this buhari nonsense
is this the political
section?
Re: The Entire Internet May Crash On June 30 And Google Wants To Stop It by juianne95(f): 8:32am On Jan 10, 2015
Tallesty1:
Lmao............

You are not serious.
u can decide to buy for me on ur own sha
Re: The Entire Internet May Crash On June 30 And Google Wants To Stop It by Tallesty1(m): 11:29am On Jan 10, 2015
juianne95:
u can decide to buy for me on ur own sha
I don buy already
Re: The Entire Internet May Crash On June 30 And Google Wants To Stop It by mesoade(m): 11:57am On Jan 10, 2015
MizMyColi:
Huh?

O ga o.
they'll only control time of the clocks and not how the earth rotates
Re: The Entire Internet May Crash On June 30 And Google Wants To Stop It by juianne95(f): 3:43pm On Jan 10, 2015
Tallesty1:
I don buy already
which one did u buy?..cos I cnt see it
Re: The Entire Internet May Crash On June 30 And Google Wants To Stop It by Tallesty1(m): 6:01am On Jan 11, 2015
juianne95:
which one did u buy?..cos I cnt see it
Wait till June 30
Re: The Entire Internet May Crash On June 30 And Google Wants To Stop It by juianne95(f): 7:48am On Jan 11, 2015
Tallesty1:
Wait till June 30
y

I want it now
Re: The Entire Internet May Crash On June 30 And Google Wants To Stop It by okotv(m): 9:18am On Jan 13, 2015
lalasticlala front page please
Re: The Entire Internet May Crash On June 30 And Google Wants To Stop It by TacoROM: 10:51am On Jan 14, 2015
Don't think that something will happen. We've survived the Maya's Calendar in 2012 grin
Re: The Entire Internet May Crash On June 30 And Google Wants To Stop It by Positivist: 9:50pm On Jan 14, 2015
Let's see then.
Re: The Entire Internet May Crash On June 30 And Google Wants To Stop It by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jun 30, 2015
and it's happening today
Re: The Entire Internet May Crash On June 30 And Google Wants To Stop It by tpiander: 4:52am On Aug 28, 2015
I dont think it did although I could be wrong.
Re: The Entire Internet May Crash On June 30 And Google Wants To Stop It by tpiander: 4:55am On Aug 28, 2015
alienvirus:
Madam, you will understand it better if you read from the source.

@topic, Wonders of global village.

true.
Re: The Entire Internet May Crash On June 30 And Google Wants To Stop It by luthorcorp: 7:50am On Aug 28, 2015
Elparaiso:
ehen.......

#SaiBuhari
yes ohh,snaiBaba in action

(1) (Reply)

Laptop Dell XPS M1710 Plugged In But Not Charging The Battery / Top 10 World Largest Telescopes - Factsbyjosh / The Cheapest Form Of Electricity In Nigeria Today Is.......

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.