Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,515 members, 7,808,880 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:33 PM

My Experience With An Unarmed Robber In A Banking Hall - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / My Experience With An Unarmed Robber In A Banking Hall (40125 Views)

Funny PHCN Photos (share Your Experience With Them) / My Near Death Experience With The Nigerian Police - DIARY Of A Jobless Youth / The Story Of OYENUSI, THE Notorious Nigerian Arm Robber [pics] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience With An Unarmed Robber In A Banking Hall by otokx(m): 7:56pm On Jan 09, 2015
Most Nigerian banks are crowded; some people there are just looking for who to scam. The bankers are few and most times overwhelmed by the commotion.

it is good they even had CCTV inside the banking hall. How many banks can boast of that?

1 Like

Re: My Experience With An Unarmed Robber In A Banking Hall by loomer: 7:58pm On Jan 09, 2015
if that was the third time, then the bank manager must know something abt it and needs to be arrested.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With An Unarmed Robber In A Banking Hall by Barthx(m): 7:59pm On Jan 09, 2015
dicefrost:
Almost happened to me too. Just last week thursday, i went to the bank to pay in 50k. A well dressed gentle walked up to me, and asked if i was paying up to 50k. He asked if i had 1k notes, which i had. He told me that he just withdrew 50k with the atm outside, and the machine paid him with 200naira notes. The money was too plenty for him to carry about . He wanted me to change the money for him, and pay in the 200naira notes, while i give him the 50 pieces of 1k notes. Helooked genuine so i obliged. He counted his money before giving it to me. About 10minutes later, it got to my turn. The counting machine rejected the 200naira notes. The cashier said they were fake. Chai i nearly craze. Me was so fortunate the guy was still waiting for a bike few kilometers from the bank. The rest is history.
Oga easy with your gist.
Counting machiine would count your money whether fake or not #atleast the type the teller would be using# and secondly when was the last time you used a Diamond Bank ATM and was paid in #200 denomination?

@topic people should be careful, not everyone on suit or tie works in the bank, ensure you see the staff IDcard
Re: My Experience With An Unarmed Robber In A Banking Hall by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jan 09, 2015
So these guys were watching as the man walked out through the door with their money?
Re: My Experience With An Unarmed Robber In A Banking Hall by Chibokgame: 8:01pm On Jan 09, 2015
wao!

New year's trick or abi I should say scam.

I know PDP has a hand in this.
or ,
is this the way the other party is raising funds for its Campaign .
Re: My Experience With An Unarmed Robber In A Banking Hall by RoyalPriesthuud(m): 8:02pm On Jan 09, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

Nope.
The bank doesn't have to have a hand in it.
work pressure; when a banker/teller is under work pressure...they wouldn't even see their mother standing in front of them, let alone who talked to who.

You are not supposed to give anyone, other than the teller your money, they keep singing this to Nigerians but their jumping queue syndrome - wouldn't let them reason well.

The security men on their part are not omnipresence( It could have been an oversight; their not seeing the fraudster)) or probably they lack good internal control....

When a fraud triangle is complete, it happens so fast...leaving people wondering and playing cop grin
[pardon 4 digressing] And GEJ was criticising the WAI initiative yesterday. Nw am nt campaigning....
Re: My Experience With An Unarmed Robber In A Banking Hall by annibro(f): 8:02pm On Jan 09, 2015
Is CCtv camera only meant 4 a flash back to traceback an incident? I thought it is someone's duty 2 monitor d screen showing different views of d camera in case of a suspicious move or act. Anyway, dats naija 4 u.
Hard luck 2 dose involved.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With An Unarmed Robber In A Banking Hall by IFELEKE(m): 8:03pm On Jan 09, 2015
That particular branch's security needs a conplete overhaul, normally, all banks are mandated to have security officials on constant surveilance to forestall issues like this, it's appaling that same is happening repeatedly in the same location!

1 Like

Re: My Experience With An Unarmed Robber In A Banking Hall by iamord(m): 8:04pm On Jan 09, 2015
holluwai:
No ruling out the 100% possibility that the guy could have jazzed them up but I want to believe there is an insider working with the guy because it requires balls and I mean balls of steel to do that type of scam in a bank without having allied(s).
oga no be jazz!! Na bloody insider

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With An Unarmed Robber In A Banking Hall by Austin4lif: 8:05pm On Jan 09, 2015
I smell conspiracy but were d pple watchn CNN wen d guy left d bank?

1 Like

Re: My Experience With An Unarmed Robber In A Banking Hall by darisgod(m): 8:13pm On Jan 09, 2015
It also happened in UBA Ogba branch on the 19th of Dec,sum one collected 250k from a woman who tot he was Working in the same bank.

She didn't want to queue
Re: My Experience With An Unarmed Robber In A Banking Hall by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jan 09, 2015
Someone or some people in that branch are conniving with that guy. Isn't it obvious? There is a Judas working in hand with the thief.
Re: My Experience With An Unarmed Robber In A Banking Hall by jackyraw09: 8:16pm On Jan 09, 2015
MrTeymee:
Some people can be quite dumb sha...just a teeny bit dumb

Heres one of those ppl who think they re just too smart and perfect to find demselves in such a situtation.
While i agree that all it takes to avoid this is common sense and due diligence.

But bro we dey africa, juju aka africa voodoo is real!!
Re: My Experience With An Unarmed Robber In A Banking Hall by Homguy(m): 8:22pm On Jan 09, 2015
ayodijex:
cooperate robber...his liver is very strong i must admit.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With An Unarmed Robber In A Banking Hall by mytime24(f): 8:23pm On Jan 09, 2015
prettyboi1989:
So these guys were watching as the man walked out through the door with their money?
very questionable, hw cme dey watch him leave d bankin hall or did he used d exit meant for their staff @d back of d hall
Re: My Experience With An Unarmed Robber In A Banking Hall by ciwi: 8:24pm On Jan 09, 2015
Y'all asking how he did it, it is very possible. If the bank is crowded, there definitely will be noise and the tellers wouldn't be able to hear what is going on. And he doesn't necessarily have to announce loudly. Nigerians like short cut so convincing them to collect their money won't be an issue.

For those asking what the security man was doing, he could have easily sent the security guy on a wild goose chase, so he can approach the customers

For those asking if he passed the front door to escape, it's easy. If there's a rest room, all he needs to do is lose his suit. Probably change to jeans Tshirt and a face cap and no one wud recognise him.

Y'all calling the victims dumb, anyone can be a victim of this crime.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With An Unarmed Robber In A Banking Hall by MrTeymee(m): 8:25pm On Jan 09, 2015
jackyraw09:

Heres one of those ppl who think they re just too smart and perfect to find demselves in such a situtation.
While i agree that all it takes to avoid this is common sense and due diligence.

But bro we dey africa, juju aka africa voodoo is real!!

Baba I don't think am too smart. I'm heavily suspicious and skeptical.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With An Unarmed Robber In A Banking Hall by iamord(m): 8:28pm On Jan 09, 2015
otokx:
Most Nigerian banks are crowded; some people there are just looking for who to scam. The bankers are few and most times overwhelmed by the commotion.

it is good they even had CCTV inside the banking hall. How many banks can boast of that?
99 percent of banks have cctv, this is a inside job and head must roll, first ,he would have come to the line to call the customers , which will be glaring for all to see, how come he was not noticed, or they were deaf.. I believe that for him not to create suspicion after he collected the money and teller he will try enter through one of the doors serving for the staff, how come no one saw him,you an average customer try and just enter through one of the doors and see if you will not be spotted ,secondly there are about 2 or more guards inside a banking hall standing in positions that they can see all angles, how come none of them noticed him They know the protocol by the back of their hands, how come they did not notice some irregular operation by the man As the man passed through the bank security door to the exit, how come the guards that are known for asking for tips did not ask him this time, the money will be chunky so he will put it in a bag, so none of them noticed it What of the people in the cctv room, are they there for shooting video clips or to be monitored Cm on , this is an inside job
Re: My Experience With An Unarmed Robber In A Banking Hall by mancheeutd(m): 8:29pm On Jan 09, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

Have you ever sat on that their desk under work pressure? You would know you can stay a day without looking up. Even though I very much doubt the person was on the queue.

Fraud happens everyday...we don't have to keep counting it. As long as there is motivation/rationalisation and opportunity- fraud would keep happening.

how many security men do you see on a good day inside your bank?
Even the ones you see, do Nigerians obey??
Yes, it's actually a lapse on their part, but then they are humans not spirits/robots.

Once again, a staff mustn't be involved. The story is real...it happens in banks...crowd + grey areas in internal control makes it easy.

Good Analysis I want you to have a pictute of this incidence and answer this questions
1 After the donation from the customers where did the robber follow definitely not the exit door
2 If he went through the back door does it mean non staffs too can come in n leave through the back door
3 No matter how hectic the day was theres not a single staff that recognizes the voice is strange knowing fully well that they must have recognised themselves one way or the other
4 lets say he followed the normal exit door none of the customers could say where are u going with cash
5 How do u convince me the bank did not know about this knowing fully well that such incidence has happened before
Re: My Experience With An Unarmed Robber In A Banking Hall by espn(m): 8:32pm On Jan 09, 2015
PRIXPAL:
I suspect the bank manager has a hand in this robbery
Or all the staff are involve
And the security men
And the people who installed the cctv

I trust nobody. Nigeria is full of scammers
definitely der is an insider involved.. no science involved ere..just well planned and coordinated robbery.. if dis is d 3rd time dis will be happening den d manager and all bankers in d banking hall should be sacked. Negligence of th highest order.
Re: My Experience With An Unarmed Robber In A Banking Hall by mancheeutd(m): 8:34pm On Jan 09, 2015
iamord:
99 percent of banks have cctv, this is a inside job and head must roll, first ,he would have come to the line to call the customers , which will be glaring for all to see, how come he was not noticed, or they were deaf.. I believe that for him not to create suspicion after he collected the money and teller he will try enter through one of the doors serving for the staff, how come no one saw him,you an average customer try and just enter through one of the doors and see if you will not be spotted ,secondly there are about 2 or more guards inside a banking hall standing in positions that they can see all angles, how come none of them noticed him They know the protocol by the back of their hands, how come they did not notice some irregular operation by the man As the man passed through the bank security door to the exit, how come the guards that are known for asking for tips did not ask him this time, the money will be chunky so he will put it in a bag, so none of them noticed it What of the people in the cctv room, are they there for shooting video clips or to be monitored Cm on , this is an inside job

God bless you even if it is jazz(which I dnt believe it is) since its captured on cctv that bank is in trouble they will pay times 2 of what ever its stolen from me

1 Like

Re: My Experience With An Unarmed Robber In A Banking Hall by lonelydora: 8:35pm On Jan 09, 2015
And if they catch and kill him, people will be shouting "Nigerians and jungle justice"
Re: My Experience With An Unarmed Robber In A Banking Hall by iamphilips(m): 8:44pm On Jan 09, 2015
aspirebig:
Are u for real?

The guy use jazz on them?
I THINK SO
Re: My Experience With An Unarmed Robber In A Banking Hall by mancheeutd(m): 8:44pm On Jan 09, 2015
ciwi:

For those asking if he passed the front door to escape, it's easy. If there's a rest room, all he needs to do is lose his suit. Probably change to jeans Tshirt and a face cap and no one wud recognise him.

Y'all calling the victims dumb, anyone can be a victim of this crime.

so u meant theres already a face cap and jeans in the rest room knowing fully well that these days of bokoharam u cant carry anything inside the banking hall u keep it outside so if he did change as u tot hw did the dress got to the rest room yet its not an insiders job
Re: My Experience With An Unarmed Robber In A Banking Hall by xctvhz(m): 8:44pm On Jan 09, 2015
e be like TV series
Lagos, the land of opportunities.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With An Unarmed Robber In A Banking Hall by dearie(m): 8:44pm On Jan 09, 2015
iamphilips:
Hello nairalanders, good day. Came here to share my experience today being 8/1/15.

I have this neighbour who sells foodstuffs. She travelled for new year so she instructed her relation who sells for her to pay in the money(about 130k) she made since monday into her Diamond bank account...

I was in the banking hall- Diamond Bank warehouse branch, Apapa- when she walked in with the money in her bag. When filling her teller, someone asked her if she was paying in and she said yes. She later joined the long queue.

After thirty seconds, a young man dressed in corporate suit (pretending to be a cashier) came close to her and asked for people who are paying above 100k. About five people stepped out and followed him a few meters away.

He collected their money and teller and asked them to wait on the line so he can go in and stamp their teller.....

Like play like play, the man left. They were waiting not knowing that he had left the banking hall with their over 650,000 naira.

It was later that they reported, the bank manager even came down.......he checked the cctv footage and behold, the gentle man in suit was neither a cashier nor a worker in the bank.

Just like that, he stole over 650k. The security guard said it was the third time it was happening in that branch...my fellow nairalanders, BEWARE!!!

Need ya'll contribution and thoughts on this. Pls our Mods should share this story so as to avoid others falling victims. Thanks.

People should be more vigilant and alert in banking halls. I must state here that this has always been happening and it is not new at all. Ensure you deal only with staff behind the counter or at least a staff on ID card except if you have been seeing them in the branch before.

Branch Management also has to be vigilant to protect unsuspecting customers

1 Like

Re: My Experience With An Unarmed Robber In A Banking Hall by iamphilips(m): 8:46pm On Jan 09, 2015
Adex097:
or even the OP lipsrsealed
WTF
Re: My Experience With An Unarmed Robber In A Banking Hall by skondo(m): 8:47pm On Jan 09, 2015
Let d bank pay d victims involves dia money,since they are so negligence that they culdnt set up a gud security measures.
Re: My Experience With An Unarmed Robber In A Banking Hall by iamord(m): 8:48pm On Jan 09, 2015
mancheeutd:

God bless you even if it is jazz(which I dnt believe it is) since its captured on cctv that bank is in trouble they will pay times 2 of what ever its stolen from me
for sure na, I will use them and build my house, let me just talk with my lawyer and drop a few charges, e no go plenty, grin well I must say the guy get mind, but whosoever the insider is , he is 4kd up cos, when the heat comes in, if he Tries to leave work,everyone will know its him, and if he stays, he will definitely be found out, it was a smart job and well taken, but in the long run their foolishness will cause them a lot

1 Like

Re: My Experience With An Unarmed Robber In A Banking Hall by andyzoga: 8:48pm On Jan 09, 2015
Give cash to someone to pay on your behalf right inside the banking hall? Thought GEJ is the only clueless...now am beginning to see more clueless Nigerians... lol.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What Broke Your Trust With Friends? Share Your Experience / 2 Brothers Came Out Without Any Injury After This Ghastly Accident In Abuja.PICS / Tribute To Firstking01 A Nairalander ( Gone So Soon)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.