Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,290 members, 7,780,669 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:06 PM

Chrysler 300 Owners And Mechanics Please I Need Your Help - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Chrysler 300 Owners And Mechanics Please I Need Your Help (6656 Views)

5 Ways To Avoid Getting Overcharged By Mechanics / 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners / If Nigerian Mechanics Were Medical Doctors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chrysler 300 Owners And Mechanics Please I Need Your Help by yvy1(f): 12:29pm On Jan 09, 2015
I just inherited a 2005 Chrysler 300 Touring that I'm trying to fix. Took it to my friend's mechanic who gave me a bill that I would like the experts in the house to weigh in on.

stabilizer linkage N18,000

lower arm double bushing N50,000

lower arm with joint N50,000

ball joint N50,000

Complete tie rod N30,000

stabilizer rubber N10,000

set of front and back brake pad N50,000

total #208,000

This bill sounds very outrageous and I would like for people with more experience and expertise to weigh in on this matter. Thank you very much.
Re: Chrysler 300 Owners And Mechanics Please I Need Your Help by chillex8(m): 2:42pm On Jan 09, 2015
The price for luxury

3 Likes

Re: Chrysler 300 Owners And Mechanics Please I Need Your Help by icemann(m): 3:38pm On Jan 09, 2015
yvy1:
I just inherited a 2005 Chrysler 300 Touring that I'm trying to fix. Took it to my friend's mechanic who gave me a bill that I would like the experts in the house to weigh in on.

ball joint N50,000

Complete tie rod N30,000

total #208,000

This bill sounds very outrageous and I would like for people with more experience and expertise to weigh in on this matter. Thank you very much.

Jesus are you serious.You are been ripped off cos you are a woman, And you are sure its the right part?
My dear i can help you get them here in the US. $50 X2X190(plus tax)= 21,000 Naira approx, The only problem is the time for shipping which is normally like 2 to 3 weeks.

Re: Chrysler 300 Owners And Mechanics Please I Need Your Help by abatically(m): 5:01pm On Jan 09, 2015
yvy1:

ball joint N50,000

Complete tie rod N30,000

total #208,000

1. U paying the price for luxury
2. Paying the price of using a car that the parts are not well sought after.
3. I'm sure u took ur car to a reputable garage. Its a good thing to do but u also have to pay the price.
4. Time to start appreciating baba kazeem lol.

Bottom line, pay the price or look for a roadside Mech with good reputation . since there are no electrical problems involved, it won't be a very difficult task. I'm sure u can get most if not all those parts for half the quoted price in Lagos. If lower arm set is sold for $52 on eBay, how on earth would ur Mech tell u they are 50,000 naira?

1 Like

Re: Chrysler 300 Owners And Mechanics Please I Need Your Help by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:48pm On Jan 09, 2015
Y do you have to change all those parts? Was it used as a tractor b4?

8 Likes

Re: Chrysler 300 Owners And Mechanics Please I Need Your Help by FlyboyZee: 6:25pm On Jan 09, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
You got me ROTFLOL...
Re: Chrysler 300 Owners And Mechanics Please I Need Your Help by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:39pm On Jan 09, 2015
On a more serious note where's sultan? He loves american vehicles, I'm sure he can help you with the prices of all these parts, I have a feeling you are better off shipping in the parts.

Meanwhile the last 2 people I know personally that used this car (in the north) were politicians, and they got tired of ordering for parts whenever the need arose, so they fled.

1 Like

Re: Chrysler 300 Owners And Mechanics Please I Need Your Help by DECOtech(m): 12:03am On Jan 10, 2015
You go fear rip-off nah.

That mech wants to sledge HAMMER
Re: Chrysler 300 Owners And Mechanics Please I Need Your Help by Nobody: 7:19am On Jan 10, 2015
The mecho wan fabricate and install BREMBO brakes for 50K

1 Like

Re: Chrysler 300 Owners And Mechanics Please I Need Your Help by sultaan(m): 8:12am On Jan 10, 2015
You left it open and your mechanic took a shot

yvy1:
ball joint N50,000
Complete tie rod N30,000
total #208,000

You didn't mention anything wrong with the car all you said was you took it to a mechanic to find something wrong with it and he gave you that list
Any mechanic will do that to anybody they know has money and no idea about cars they will give you the same quote for a Camry if given the chance but I guarantee you Camry parts are way more expensive than 300c parts

All the parts he gave are suspension parts that do wear out and are suppose to be replaced by now to get they brand new car feel again. Those are parts that came with the car from the factory and all have rubber cushion to make ride soft, rubber soften and crack over time which is why these are the only things he mentioned nothing is mechanical or indicates the car is bad don't be scared.

I will go over the list again and give to the mid grade price on all the items I[b] assumed[/b] he mentioned and those I don't know are the one he called by the nigerian mechanic names not the real name. Price difference between grades is usually about 20% example for based, mid and premium brakes will be $22,$27,and $35

There are around 3 grades(based on materials used) to parts in the US the base parts will last about 3 years before showing any age
Mid grades will last about 5 years , and
Premium grade will last 7 years or more all with normal use or multiply each year by 10k miles

stabilizer linkage N18,000 stabilizers bar link $20
lower arm double bushing N50,000 Rear control arm $48
lower arm with joint N50,000 front lower control arm (LCA)$55
ball joint N50,000 front upper contrl arm with ball joint (UCA) $90
Complete tie rod N30,000 tie-rod ends (TRE) 3 @$27-53
stabilizer rubber N10,000 Stabilizer bar bushings $13
set of front and back brake pad N50,000 both $90 ceramic $55 semi-metallic
total #208,000

Like Gazzuzz already implied when they joked about tractor that list is like changing half of the parts between the tires and body frame probably need just the, brakes, bushing, shocks, stabilizer bar links and TRE those are the ones that will go first.

Rule # for your car before anyone touch any part on your car with any tool they will have to show/prove to you a bad part; you have to see with your eyes the bushings are cracked, brake pads are low, ball joints are loose.Like I said earlier all the parts listed have a rubber bushing on it, unless he can show the bushing is damaged don't touch it

Get a second opinion the mechanic is not an expert or he would have gone by service schedule but he stayed away from the engine, filter, fluids these are suppose to last 5 years before changing they don't have to be bad manufacturer just like to keep things fresh.

Get a second opinion, take your time to stock up on service items like the brake pads, belt,shocks and bushings atf+4, filters, fluids for differential some folks here will tell you how to shop amazon and when you ship parts in it will still be cheaper than Toyota parts and guaranteed original.

My brother drives a 300 in Ibadan and he is actually flying back this sunday(don't think about excess luggage wink) some folks here are offering to bring small items in if you need them

4 Likes

Re: Chrysler 300 Owners And Mechanics Please I Need Your Help by yvy1(f): 4:51pm On Jan 10, 2015
@ Sultan thank you very much. Now I have a better idea of the prices and will be looking for who will be able to bring the parts in for me
Re: Chrysler 300 Owners And Mechanics Please I Need Your Help by yvy1(f): 4:58pm On Jan 10, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

ROTFLMAO

Me sef fear the bill and car.

The problem with inherited cars is that they are badly maintained and not 'sale-worthy' because the previous owner has lost interest in the car. Hence the numerous problems and plenty bills.

Thanks guys for your input.

p.s abeg who go fit help me bring these parts come.
Re: Chrysler 300 Owners And Mechanics Please I Need Your Help by yvy1(f): 4:59pm On Jan 10, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

ROTFLMAO

The problem with inherited cars is that they are badly maintained and not 'sale-worthy' because the previous owner has lost interest in the car. Hence the numerous problems and plenty bills.

p.s abeg who go fit help me bring these parts come?
Re: Chrysler 300 Owners And Mechanics Please I Need Your Help by yvy1(f): 5:04pm On Jan 10, 2015
Please, another bill came up:

NEW HEADLAMP 40K,TOKUNBO 30K,REPAIRING OF BUMBER AND
PANEL BEATING 12K,SPREYING 10K, LABOUR 5k

Please guys help me out.... God bless you all.
Re: Chrysler 300 Owners And Mechanics Please I Need Your Help by sultaan(m): 10:11pm On Jan 10, 2015
yvy1:
Please, another bill came up:

NEW HEADLAMP 40K,TOKUNBO 30K,REPAIRING OF BUMBER AND
PANEL BEATING 12K,SPREYING 10K, LABOUR 5k

Please guys help me out.... God bless you all.

You wrecked it within 2 days?

Can you drive really good or you are still learning.

check here on how you can buy things on Amazon PM Piyke
Re: Chrysler 300 Owners And Mechanics Please I Need Your Help by yvy1(f): 11:33pm On Jan 10, 2015
@ Sultaan about the wrecking..... I inherited the body damage too. Lol

Thanks for the hook up tho
Re: Chrysler 300 Owners And Mechanics Please I Need Your Help by Lexusgs430: 12:42am On Jan 11, 2015
This benefactor giving you this car, has used,bruised and abused this car.
And wants you to fix their mess. Hopefully, you would have funds for other expenditures, once this car has dealt with your bank balance !!!
Re: Chrysler 300 Owners And Mechanics Please I Need Your Help by sultaan(m): 12:57am On Jan 11, 2015
post a pic of the front grill to access damage

And is your check engine light on?
Re: Chrysler 300 Owners And Mechanics Please I Need Your Help by yvy1(f): 2:17pm On Jan 12, 2015
sultaan:
post a pic of the front grill to access damage
And is your check engine light on?

The check engine light is not on

Re: Chrysler 300 Owners And Mechanics Please I Need Your Help by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jan 14, 2015
[size=32pt]Anybody that gave this lady this Heavy load to bear, should have known that owing a Chrysler 300 is quite cheap but maintaining it is another topic for a Cartalk thread of another day.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Chrysler 300 Owners And Mechanics Please I Need Your Help by mayor2013: 3:24pm On Jan 14, 2015
yvy1:

ROTFLMAO

p.s abeg who go fit help me bring these parts come?

If you want those parts in naija, reach me on 08165520837. I hope you are in Lagos
Re: Chrysler 300 Owners And Mechanics Please I Need Your Help by yvy1(f): 5:41am On Jan 15, 2015
Thanks Mayor, I am in Lagos. Will give you a call later in the day.
Re: Chrysler 300 Owners And Mechanics Please I Need Your Help by Theophinio(m): 2:23am On Dec 11, 2016
yvy1:

ball joint N50,000

Complete tie rod N30,000

total #208,000

Just sent you a mail
Re: Chrysler 300 Owners And Mechanics Please I Need Your Help by Crixie(m): 6:45am On Dec 11, 2016
Re: Chrysler 300 Owners And Mechanics Please I Need Your Help by ePrive(m): 11:19am On Jan 15, 2019
Hi, how far with this car? ......Did you repair all successfully ?

........How well did it serve you ?...... Are you currently using it ?
Re: Chrysler 300 Owners And Mechanics Please I Need Your Help by minasota(f): 4:54am On Jun 15, 2019
yvy1:
@ Sultan thank you very much. Now I have a better idea of the prices and will be looking for who will be able to bring the parts in for me
Hi yvy1 how is your Chrysler 300 ,I intend buying one for myself. Did you enjoy yours?
Should i go ahead.please your advice is highly needed thanks
Re: Chrysler 300 Owners And Mechanics Please I Need Your Help by Nobody: 8:43am On Jun 15, 2019
Sold mine fee weeks back after usage for about 3 years (bought in 2016).

A decent car although water in my area did not allow me to enjoy it well (I have switched back to SUV).

The problems I had were:

- Had an intractable issue that I dont know whether it was an electrical issue or battery terminal issue. After like 3 hours of parking, you get there and the car will refuse to start (like a weak battery) despite buying new powerfull 100 amps battery twice. I didn't know what was killing the battery. Different rewires couldn't resolve it. I had to be removing battery terminal anytime I wanted to park it for long. After many trial and error solutions, one rewire was able to fix it. The problem lasted for almost a year.

2, The car "drowned" in water in the first few days of using it (my area is Ajah). Unfortunately, the fuel filter was damaged. But my mechanic, a roadside mechanic, did not know where the fuel filter was. Anytime it started problem of not moving, which is symptomatic of poor fuel supply, the mechanic was changing fuel pump which solved the problem temporarily. So we were chaving fuel pump almost every 3 weeks for more than 1 year. t was later that he realized that the problem was fuel filter. That was changed and the issue stopped.

3, There is another issue that usually arose anytime the underbelly of the car hit a hard surface (anytime I drove it to a rough area - I can be a rough driver too).

4, I parked it for a long time (like 2 months) and attempted traveling with it after servicing it and returning it work. It started overheating, damaged gasket and engine oil was leaking. Engine knocked. Got another engine for over 300k. Engine was fixed but car started jerking after few kilometers of driving. Spent another 100k on fixing that.

Attempted selling the car but couldn't get a buyer for like 2 months (people usually afraid to buy such models of cars unlike Toyota, Honda etc) before finally selling through cars45 people.

Some of the issuee could be because of my area (waterlogged area).

It was a problematic car but it could be because of the area I used it. I enjoyed the respect it commanded sha.

1 Like

Re: Chrysler 300 Owners And Mechanics Please I Need Your Help by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jun 15, 2019
Jarus:

A decent car although water in my area did not allow me to enjoy it well (I have switched back to SUV).

The problems I had were:

- Had an intractable issue that I dont know whether it was an electrical issue or battery terminal issue. After like 3 hours of parking, you get there and the car will refuse to start (like a weak battery) despite buying new powerfull 100 amps battery twice. I didn't know what was killing the battery. Different rewires couldn't resolve it. I had to be removing battery terminal anytime I wanted to park it for long. After many trial and error solutions, one rewire was able to fix it. The problem lasted for almost a year.

2, The car "drowned" in water in the first few days of using it (my area is Ajah). Unfortunately, the fuel filter was damaged. But my mechanic, a roadside mechanic, did not know where the fuel filter was. Anytime it started problem of not moving, which is symptomatic of poor fuel supply, the mechanic was changing fuel pump which solved the problem temporarily. So we were chaving fuel pump almost every 3 weeks for more than 1 year. t was later that he realized that the problem was fuel filter. That was changed and the issue stopped.

3, There is another issue that usually arose anytime the underbelly of the car hit a hard surface (anytime I drove it to a rough area - I can be a rough driver too).

4, I parked it for a long time (like 2 months) and attempted traveling with it after servicing it and returning it work. It started overheating, damaged gasket and engine oil was leaking. Engine knocked. Got another engine for over 300k. Engine was fixed but car started jerking after few kilometers of driving. Spent another 100k on fixing that.

Attempted selling the car but couldn't get a buyer for like 2 months (people usually afraid to buy such models of cars unlike Toyota, Honda etc) before finally selling through cars45 people.

It was a problematic car but it could be because of the area I used it. I enjoyed the respect it commanded sha.

Heisenberg.if you know you know.
Re: Chrysler 300 Owners And Mechanics Please I Need Your Help by MobilityExpress: 12:05pm On Jun 16, 2019
Jarus:

The problems I had were:

Had nothing to do with your area. The V6 Chrysler 300 is problematic by design. The V8 hemi or srt8 (5.8L or 6.2L variants) are built better and stronger quality. The V6 is not so.
Re: Chrysler 300 Owners And Mechanics Please I Need Your Help by Nobody: 12:06pm On Jun 16, 2019
MobilityExpress:

Had nothing to do with your area. The V6 Chrysler 300 is problematic by design. The V8 hemi or srt8 (5.8L or 6.2L variants) are built better and stronger quality. The V6 is not so.

No wonder. Thought it was because of the rough area used it.
Re: Chrysler 300 Owners And Mechanics Please I Need Your Help by DeCanadian: 2:31pm On Jun 16, 2019
MobilityExpress:

. That's not true, there are two variants of the v6( 2.7L and the 3.5L) can you prove to us by giving a source on any recall it had or a major reoccurring problem on car reviews? I used the 2.7L carefully for 5years with out stories
Re: Chrysler 300 Owners And Mechanics Please I Need Your Help by Nobody: 2:49pm On Jun 16, 2019
DeCanadian:
. That's not true, there are two variants of the v6( 2.7L and the 3.5L) can you prove to us by giving a source on any recall it had or a major reoccurring problem on car reviews? I used the 2.7L carefully for 5years with out stories
With what they guy said, I believe it's his mechanic fault and his ignorance too.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

What's The Difference Between Camry 03,04, And 05 / American Spec Cars With HEADLAMPS Always On. / Share Your Stories Of Mechanics Who Tried To Scam/Rip You Off

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.