Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,361 members, 7,808,260 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:30 AM

How Often Do You Say "I Love You" In The Family?? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Often Do You Say "I Love You" In The Family?? (11894 Views)

My Wife’s Mother Would Say I Should Not Kill Her Daughter With Sex / Husband Complains That His Wife Always Purchase Food Outside For The Family / Why Male Education Is Better Than Female Education In The Family? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Often Do You Say "I Love You" In The Family?? by Ezevajina: 2:17pm On Jan 10, 2015
The day we stop thinking of western civilisation is universal civilisation, dis kind tinz will die undecided

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Say "I Love You" In The Family?? by eazisky(m): 2:17pm On Jan 10, 2015
striktlymi:
I am sure if I call my parents this minute and just say: "I love you folks", they would be very worried and probably call on their parish priest to say a prayer for me because I may just be going nuts.

I was shocked to the realization that since I was born I have never for once thought of saying the "L" word to my folks and siblings, let alone putting the thought to words. This is not saying that I do not love them nor does it imply that they do not see that I do.

Far from it, I do love them and they see it in my actions but the challenge comes when I am asked to voice it to them. I believe firmly that saying "I love you" to them is the right thing to do but it is just so difficult.

I am quite sure that the difficulty has a lot to do with the way I and my siblings were brought up. We never got around saying "I love you" to each other. The closest we got to using the "L" word in the family was when we pray and recite the "Jesus I love you..." prayer etc.

As a grown man, I find it strange that an individual would bring up his family devoid of a phrase so simple. It matters not if they show each other love....I believe that phrase should be used in the family multiple times daily as it helps with the bonding process.
once in a day, before going to bed

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Say "I Love You" In The Family?? by Jiouras(m): 2:18pm On Jan 10, 2015
I've never for once heard "I LOVE YOU" in my family though it shows through our reactions sometimes tongue

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Say "I Love You" In The Family?? by veraiyke(m): 2:20pm On Jan 10, 2015
For my papa notin lyk love cox na only God go fit show love so him no dey talk am. Bt my mama na sure bank. Wen eva she calls m it 'I love u my baby boy'

2 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Say "I Love You" In The Family?? by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jan 10, 2015
eazisky:

once in a day, before going to bed

Great!

Your case is a whole lot better than mine.
Re: How Often Do You Say "I Love You" In The Family?? by Ajibel(m): 2:21pm On Jan 10, 2015
Lol so true. I cant remember if Ive ever said it buh Ive told my GF countless of times.
Buh,
I love my family mur than gf wink

3 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Say "I Love You" In The Family?? by SilentCrescendo: 2:21pm On Jan 10, 2015
Lol
Can't remember. .. been a really long time
Re: How Often Do You Say "I Love You" In The Family?? by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jan 10, 2015
veraiyke:
For my papa notin lyk love cox na only God go fit show love so him no dey talk am. Bt my mama na sure bank. Wen eva she calls m it 'I love u my baby boy'

Lol!

Do you tell her how much you love her too?
Re: How Often Do You Say "I Love You" In The Family?? by kennynelcon(m): 2:22pm On Jan 10, 2015
I most no say it to them... I know. they know.
Re: How Often Do You Say "I Love You" In The Family?? by gistmelove(m): 2:22pm On Jan 10, 2015
Everyday...

But do u know i love you is jus a slag now...

So i prefer i cherish you my wife"

said: Abu zaman

oko Rahma

4 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Say "I Love You" In The Family?? by tolutweety(m): 2:22pm On Jan 10, 2015
I was only taught the expression of LOVE, no one deemed it necessary to teach me how to say the 'L' word in my family.

But in my university days, i made conscious effort to say these words: 'please', 'i love you' & 'thank you' unconditionally.

@first, It felt weird when i started using the 'L' word with my friends n my folks...but funnily, they've all caught the disease.My lil cousin calls me and tells me 'she loves me'. It is a part of me now.

I consciously hold myself from saying it to new friends tho' cos of whatever wrong impression that it might portray initially to them.
One of the very first thing i tell you when i get personal (a guy or a lady) is to get use to the fact that i use the 'L' word regularly 'cos i have been wired to love anyone unconditionally...AND I MEAN IT WHEN I SAY IT.

#SHALOM#

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Often Do You Say "I Love You" In The Family?? by UjSizzle(f): 2:23pm On Jan 10, 2015
First time my dad said the L word, I was 6. It was so weird, i had a frown on my forehead and stared at him like something had gone wrong grin

I say it to my siblings though, but they just laugh and say I've lost my mind. Basically it's just something we say for the sake of it (more like 'Ah roff you').

Hopefully my kids will be hearing lots of it.

4 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Say "I Love You" In The Family?? by AreaFada2: 2:23pm On Jan 10, 2015
kristina1:

Am scared of my dad....he's a strict disciplinarian/

Awwww.......you shouldn't be dear.

He just wants you to be the best you can be. You can be sure he smiles within his heart when he sees you growing into a wonderful young lady.

@OP,

The "L" word did not exist in family Lexicon growing up.

One cousin "stole" alcohol from Dad's gin bottle and was crying and saying "I luv u" to everyone. His first time drinking alcohol, he was like 17!

That phrase got us very scared indeed. Hahahahaha grin cheesy

I still use it to pull his leg till tomorrow.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Often Do You Say "I Love You" In The Family?? by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jan 10, 2015
There are many different ways of expressing or showing love, and this does not always involve using the rather trite or overused words of "I love you."

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Say "I Love You" In The Family?? by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jan 10, 2015
Damn its a no no for me, the L word. You knw i do, sayin it mks no difference. The whites who say it often are d first to tro dia kids under d bus,divorce or hurt dia family. Sayin sometin a million times isnt same as showin it, as for me i prefer our culture,at least d meanin of d word doesnt lose its potency.

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Say "I Love You" In The Family?? by 1stola: 2:27pm On Jan 10, 2015
kristina1:

He knows you can be a VERY bad girl.
see ya eyes na grin
Re: How Often Do You Say "I Love You" In The Family?? by owolawitola(f): 2:27pm On Jan 10, 2015
Never. I totally understand this post. I can relate to it. I feel the exact sane way. And its not hard for me to tell my bf i love him o.

2 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Say "I Love You" In The Family?? by freezyprinzy(m): 2:27pm On Jan 10, 2015
if u even do work 2 tell u tank u sef na wahala na luf lohun lohun na I'm u dy talk not even by mistake it sounds strange telling em

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Say "I Love You" In The Family?? by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jan 10, 2015
Hahahaha I swear I never thought of this. It think ive kinda added it in birthday text to my dad n mom sha. I can't remember opening my mouth to say it. I love my family but I can only show it. Lol I wish we said it once in a while.

2 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Say "I Love You" In The Family?? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jan 10, 2015
UjSizzle:
First time my dad said the L word, I was 6. It was so weird, i had a frown on my forehead and stared at him like something had gone wrong grin

I say it to my siblings though, but they just laugh and say I've lost my mind. Basically it's just something we say for the sake of it (more like 'Ah roff you').

I feel you...

Sounds quite odd.

I know I will laugh so hard and step back a bit if my mum would call and say that to me.

By God's grace, my home will be different.

3 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Say "I Love You" In The Family?? by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:28pm On Jan 10, 2015
We dont need this fake oyinbo way of expressing love

fake smiles. Fake words.

We Africans express our love through respect and our actions.

4 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Say "I Love You" In The Family?? by 1stola: 2:29pm On Jan 10, 2015
morzook:
when we are not oyinbo. love can be shown without being said.

GET YOUR SELFIES STICKS HERE
what da yuuum!
selfish stick abi wetin u call am?
una get work so?
Re: How Often Do You Say "I Love You" In The Family?? by Francon(f): 2:29pm On Jan 10, 2015
We say it at all times. After prayers, calls, or even when they grant you a favor.

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Say "I Love You" In The Family?? by Fhemmmy: 2:29pm On Jan 10, 2015
Almost every hour

2 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Say "I Love You" In The Family?? by killercute16(m): 2:30pm On Jan 10, 2015
I do say it to my mum most times without any favour b4 it buh until dad and others gives me something i cherish,then the [b]L[/b]word comes in....buh i still love them equally tho

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Say "I Love You" In The Family?? by freezyprinzy(m): 2:31pm On Jan 10, 2015
UjSizzle:

abeg waats d name of dat bird in ur d.p its face is scary ma dog go get helper
Re: How Often Do You Say "I Love You" In The Family?? by owolawitola(f): 2:31pm On Jan 10, 2015
Never. I totally understand this post. I can relate to it. I feel the exact same way. And its not hard for me to tell my bf i love him o.

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Say "I Love You" In The Family?? by Brooke98(f): 2:31pm On Jan 10, 2015
My mum could o buh mostly over the phone when Ur not home buh my dad iya u would grow beards if Ur waiting for that one
Re: How Often Do You Say "I Love You" In The Family?? by biggeorge700(m): 2:32pm On Jan 10, 2015
kristina1:

work on it pls. And make your mind up to instill it into your children even from birth

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Husband Has Just Had A Baby With Another Woman - I Am Hurting / Husband Not Maid! - By Dipor Exzie / Why Am I So Unemotional?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.