Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,383 members, 7,781,087 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:38 AM

Blogging Advice For Beginners - Webmasters (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Blogging Advice For Beginners (18388 Views)

Blogging Advice Needed / A Brother In Need Of Blogging Advice / The Best Blogging Advice You’ve Ever Received (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Blogging Advice For Beginners by Neldrizzy(m): 8:59pm On Jan 10, 2015
AgapeCharis:
wow! Thanks smiley I'm grateful. Will work on it
nice blog bro... Am impressed.. Though Чou still need to work on it.
Re: Blogging Advice For Beginners by pxjosh(m): 9:00pm On Jan 10, 2015
thank you UjSizzle. this came at the right time. I want to open a blog using WordPress, but I don't want it to end with a I prefer just .com and..I don't have shishi to pay right now. is there how I can get my blog just with .com on WordPress for free?
Re: Blogging Advice For Beginners by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jan 10, 2015
Neldrizzy:
nice blog bro... Am impressed.. Though Чou still need to work on it.
Yeea. Will effect some recommendations I got here tomorrow or tonight smiley
And...........Thanks
Re: Blogging Advice For Beginners by Neyopro(m): 9:47pm On Jan 10, 2015
Would appreciate any little help a blogger can render about blogging. You can add me on bbm to communicate better pin265647FB. Thanks
Re: Blogging Advice For Beginners by Cypost: 9:52pm On Jan 10, 2015
cool
Re: Blogging Advice For Beginners by UjSizzle(f): 10:36pm On Jan 10, 2015
pxjosh:
thank you UjSizzle. this came at the right time. I want to open a blog using WordPress, but I don't want it to end with a I prefer just .com and..I don't have shishi to pay right now. is there how I can get my blog just with .com on WordPress for free?
Nah. Domain names don't come for free...sorry.

You might want to start it anyway with the , and when you have money, you can upgrade to a private domain name. Just work on building your community for now.
Re: Blogging Advice For Beginners by CoachDX: 10:47pm On Jan 10, 2015
Hey Uju, having read your post, i would ask any beginner to bookmark this thread.

Let me add few points.

1) Your subdomain /domain must NOT necessary be your name.
I see this as a trend but it's really not working for so new blogger. I believe if you had built your first name and last name or sobriquet as a brand somehow on the public space that's when it would ring at every eyecontact. So many new bloggers using their name would have done better with a domain or subdomain that gives people a clue about what your blog is all about.

2) You could be blogging on the popular but the wrong niche.
I've also seen alot of bloggers doing entertainment now with no real content. Regardless of who you model after, you should have an identity. Your blog must be known for something different. I actually started blogging in 09 which i later sold in 012. Yes, you can be successful doing the wrong thing. Infact, i knew entertainment wasn't for me even though it could give quick fame and the niche was young and growing on the blogsphere. Now, it's fully grown, find your voice as said by Uju.

3) Work your content.
The newbreed of blogger are just plainly lazy and even the supposed old folks. Until now, I've an article on the eagles online (i think they have a newspaper brand) that was never credited to my blog and another on Pastor Bisi Adewale's Blog that has not been duly credited. That's was just a mention amongst hundreds of blogs and websites that i've their links as evidence. This may look strange, i surf the web for my articles, i write some established webmasters if credit is not found on the article but spare the ..com/ . hungry bloggers.

You see, in Nigeria, we have too many lazy bloggers. Most of them don't have passion for what niche they are running, hence, they adopt the widely used but shameful "copy and paste" system, and that wouldn't have been really shameful if they would give you credit and not claim ownership. The real writers are so few.

4) There's NO money in blogging.
That may sound strange, but it's true. For those young bloggers that thinks they could start bidding 1 million for a dress within a year of blogging are jokers. Though i blog part-time, what keeps me going until now is not my niche but natural inspiration i get to write under the niche. I could remember the first advert space i sold was almost to a year i renewed my blogging side. After then, i waited some months before another.

5) How to get traffic.
This' why so many bloggers misbehave. They would lie, post their link anywhere even irrelevant places, display links claiming that someone just releases a nude picture of his girlfriend, all for traffic.

The surest way to get a good and lasting traffic is via search engine. That's the simple truth and so many copy and paste blogger will never survive this. So, to the real writers, even if alexa says you're so backward, your steady traffic is sure from search engines. The number one rule for SEO is quality contents. The search engine robots/crawlers have their minds, they pick most genuine contents, rank them before finding the keyword density of your title and whether you also have it on your first line or use it more on your article. That's to say, no matter the high competition for your chosen keyword, if your article was made by you, you have a chance.

Let me stop here. I'm not an aclaimed pro-blogger but, i've experimented with blogs even my new blog is an experiment of how social media and seo helps blog traffic and so far it has moved from 10m to 7m and now at 4m. Even at that adverts (not majorly from Nigerians) will come if you're a real writer. Well, I believe anyone that likes experimenting from nothing like me would try it. It's fun not magic. cheesy
Re: Blogging Advice For Beginners by 90sgirl(f): 4:54am On Jan 11, 2015
@UjSizzle thanks for the post. Two things

1. Please how can i copy the Ad codes given after applying for adsense to my wordpress blog? www.firstadvancebusiness.com and

2. How do i make some few dollars with this? i have downloaded so many youtube videos and they are not really helpful. can we talk one on one my email is brendasimon82@yahoo.com

thanks
Re: Blogging Advice For Beginners by misterh(m): 6:55am On Jan 11, 2015
After reading through all the comments, I have learnt a thing or two from inputs from other people. UjSizzle and others, can I get a review on my blog, www.misterhakeem. ? I know I've been lazy as regards updates as I post just once in a while.

Thanks.
Re: Blogging Advice For Beginners by Chiclara: 10:19am On Jan 11, 2015
@Ujsizzle mizmycoli please can I get Ur bbm pin. I really love ur advice and I have lots of questions to ask cos I just started. Please bbm pin pls
Re: Blogging Advice For Beginners by UjSizzle(f): 11:00am On Jan 11, 2015
90sgirl:

1. Please how can i copy the Ad codes given after applying for adsense to my wordpress blog? www.firstadvancebusiness.com and

2. How do i make some few dollars with this? i have downloaded so many youtube videos and they are not really helpful. can we talk one on one my email is brendasimon82@yahoo.com

thanks
You'll need someone with a bit more technical knowledge to answer this.
@Kidprogrammer, help please?
Re: Blogging Advice For Beginners by UjSizzle(f): 11:00am On Jan 11, 2015
Chiclara:
@Ujsizzle mizmycoli please can I get Ur bbm pin. I really love ur advice and I have lots of questions to ask cos I just started. Please bbm pin pls
I'm not on BBM, but you cab send me a mail.
Re: Blogging Advice For Beginners by UjSizzle(f): 11:08am On Jan 11, 2015
@CoachDX thanks so much for your input smiley
Re: Blogging Advice For Beginners by Chiclara: 11:21am On Jan 11, 2015
@ujsizzle pls what is your email
Re: Blogging Advice For Beginners by LarrySun(m): 11:29am On Jan 11, 2015
Thanks for this post, UJSizzle. I have a blog but it doesn't seem to attract followers, and because of that, I've been skeptical about posting thereon. I'm wondering how I can boost up the blog and create a wider awareness. Even the Facebook page I recently created has attracted more (although not much) followers.

This is the blog address:

www.larrysunwrites.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Blogging Advice For Beginners by UjSizzle(f): 12:44pm On Jan 11, 2015
@Larrysun

Well you don't have followers because you've neither been posting, nor interacting with bloggers of the niche.
May I make suggestions?

Rather than make your blog a place for your stories alone, how about you talk about your writing process too? People like to know about the lives of their favourite bloggers/writers coz like I said, emotions is a universal language.

So diversify. Leave your stories for a certain day of the week. Talk about writing, how people can become better writers. Talk about books you've read etc.

I'll recommend you take a look at Itunu's blog at www.glowingscenes.com
You must have seen her story in the Lit section at some point. Or visit www.ericjbaker.

These are brilliant writers whose blogs I've come to love.

Writing is an art. Share the art and what it means to you.

P.S I love the layout of your blog smiley

Hope this helps.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Blogging Advice For Beginners by misterh(m): 12:48pm On Jan 11, 2015
UjSizzle:
@Larrysun

Well you don't have followers because you've neither been posting, nor interacting with bloggers of the niche.
May I make suggestions?

Rather than make your blog a place for your stories alone, how about you talk about your writing process too? People like to know about the lives of their favourite bloggers/writers coz like I said, emotions is a universal language.

So diversify. Leave your stories for a certain day of the week. Talk about writing, how people can become better writers. Talk about books you've read etc.

I'll recommend you take a look at Itunu's blog at www.glowingscenes.com
You must have seen her story in the Lit section at some point. Or visit www.ericjbaker.

These are brilliant writers whose blogs I've come to love.

Writing is an art. Share the art and what it means to you.

P.S I love the layout of your blog smiley

Hope this helps.
Good review. Can I get a review on mine too? www.misterhakeem. .
Thanks. smiley
Re: Blogging Advice For Beginners by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jan 11, 2015
portable86:
Guys nice writeup, i've learnt alot, especially the patience part, my blog just got rejected by adsense, said it lacks content and some other things mentioned, so this year am going to dedicate more time to it.
Please visit and tell me what you think www.nenyville..com
Let me act like an AdSense Rep - what they might think:

Your blog is just like many of those blogs from Nigeria we receive on a minute basis
It does not look professional and not well structured
No Disclaimer/Disclosure page
Your blog doesn't look like what Adwords Advertisers will want to advertise on
and so much more....

What you should do:
Give your blog a professional touch
Get a simple logo and get rid of the background image
I'll advice you to move to WordPress (not ) and get a custom domain
Pictures are scattered and not original - you might be infringing some copyrights
Add an about page
and most importantly:

Get decent traffic before you apply for adsense. Even if you have adsense, you can't make money if you don't have traffic. You'd be lucky to make $10 in a year with this blog.

As i leave, it's not about installing adsense - it's about improving your blog. I actually would take Private Ads than get paid in pennies by Google.
Re: Blogging Advice For Beginners by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jan 11, 2015
90sgirl:

thanks
1. If you have an AdSense account, you can use it on as many blogs as you can. You just login to your Adsense dashboard and get the codes

2. To make money with Adsense, you need a lot of traffic and traffic doesn't come with the wave of a finger. Even if you watch all the videos on youtube, your blog might not make an extra penny. Why? Your focus is to make money and not the real purpose of blogging itself - To reach out to internet users/readers.

I can see many Nigerian bloggers only focus on Adsense. This is just one way out of the hundreds of ways to monetize a blog. The money i make from Affiliate Marketing in one day is more than what some bloggers earn in a month. Adsense will only pay if and only you have Lots of Traffic!
Re: Blogging Advice For Beginners by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jan 11, 2015
LarrySun:
Thanks for this post, UJSizzle. I have a blog but it doesn't seem to attract followers, and because of that, I've been skeptical about posting thereon. I'm wondering how I can boost up the blog and create a wider awareness. Even the Facebook page I recently created has attracted more (although not much) followers.

This is the blog address:

www..

Thanks.
Hi Larry
I know you quite well on Nairaland(Lit section) but didn't know you have a blog. Why's that?

I was able to connect with you on a popular forum but not on your blog. What you should do:

1. Take your blog with you wherever you go. People appreciate your work here on NL and it is an easier avenue to remind them a better work awaits them on your blog.

2. Spend some time on your blog and Behind it up! It should appeal to both mobile and desktop viewers

3. If you want traffic, there are thousands of ways to generate them (Paid is usually faster) but for a writer like you, i suggest you find connection instead of traffic. The best way to get readers you can connect to is through Forums, email and Social media. Search engine traffic will do you no good.

If i think of more, i will add...

Writers should make the best bloggers but the business guys have hijacked it from them because they drew up a plan for their blog and follow it. You should follow it.
Re: Blogging Advice For Beginners by LarrySun(m): 3:12pm On Jan 11, 2015
@UjSizzle,

Thanks you so much, ma'am. I'll take to your advice. I checked Glowingscene's website, it's nice. The other one did not display.

I'll try my best to write beyond a narrative scope and see where it leads. Once again, thank you.
Re: Blogging Advice For Beginners by LarrySun(m): 3:17pm On Jan 11, 2015
sMayor:

Hi Larry
I know you quite well on Nairaland(Lit section) but didn't know you have a blog. Why's that?

I was able to connect with you on a popular forum but not on your blog. What you should do:

1. Take your blog with you wherever you go. People appreciate your work here on NL and it is an easier avenue to remind them a better work awaits them on your blog.

2. Spend some time on your blog and Behind it up! It should appeal to both mobile and desktop viewers

3. If you want traffic, there are thousands of ways to generate them (Paid is usually faster) but for a writer like you, i suggest you find connection instead of traffic. The best way to get readers you can connect to is through Forums, email and Social media. Search engine traffic will do you no good.

If i think of more, i will add...

Writers should make the best bloggers but the business guys have hijacked it from them because they drew up a plan for their blog and follow it. You should follow it.
Thank you, sir.

I'll try to push traffic there with my next story. I will post some parts of the story and divert the readers to read them on my blog.

Thanks a lot.
Re: Blogging Advice For Beginners by KidProgrammer(m): 3:50pm On Jan 11, 2015
UjSizzle:

You'll need someone with a bit more technical knowledge to answer this.
@Kidprogrammer, help please?
[b]yea, 90sgirl here is how you can add your adsense code to your wordpress blog and make money from it. 1.to add adsense code,firstly login to your wordpress admin panel(www.yourblog.domain/wp-admin),after logging in,goto appearance-widgets menu,then select to drag and drop a "text" widget onto your sidebar,then add a title(put Ads By Google or just write Advertisement) and right under it put your actual google adsense code,then scroll down and click the save button.Datz all you have successful add your adsense code to your wordpress blog.. 2.to make money with google adsense on your blog-make sure you put the adcode @ a suitable place on your blog,either in header or sidebar but commonly ads are displayed in the bar,also make sure you have good,real and targeted traffic,traffic determines how much you will earn with your blog,if you have traffic that are n0t targeted:visitors will land on your blog and bounce bak in seconds,make sure you target real visitors,visitors that will click your ads,that will buy your products,that will share your posts on social media and refer friends to your blog..hope you get me.in a nutshell paste your adsense codes to the right place,send good and real targeted traffics,and see your adsence act flooded..hope i ve answered your questions..[/b]

1 Like

Re: Blogging Advice For Beginners by Danyl(m): 6:20pm On Jan 11, 2015
blogging is a career only if people will care enough to see it that way. this blog post is quite wonderful...
Re: Blogging Advice For Beginners by CoachDX: 10:47pm On Jan 11, 2015
UjSizzle:
@CoachDX thanks so much for your input smiley

You're welcome!
Re: Blogging Advice For Beginners by portable86(f): 10:31am On Jan 12, 2015
sMayor:

Your blog is just like many of those blogs from Nigeria we receive on a minute basis
and so much more....

What you should do:
Pictures are scattered and not original - you might be infringing some copyrights
Add an about page
and most importantly:

Get decent traffic before you apply for adsense. Even if you have adsense, you can't make money if you don't have traffic. You'd be lucky to make $10 in a year with this blog.

As i leave, it's not about installing adsense - it's about improving your blog. I actually would take Private Ads than get paid in pennies by Google.
Thanks alot i know i've not been doing much but will work on it this year. I actually started it with my mobile phone

1 Like

Re: Blogging Advice For Beginners by portable86(f): 8:26pm On Jan 12, 2015
sMayor:

and so much more....

What you should do:
Add an about page
and most importantly:

So i took your advice and some work on my blog, what do you think please? Thanks anyway for your construstive criticsm
Re: Blogging Advice For Beginners by olurayshy: 9:38pm On Jan 13, 2015
UjSizzle pls bros help i really want to be a blogger but dnt know anything to go about it
Re: Blogging Advice For Beginners by 9jaBloke: 3:28am On Jan 17, 2015
This is epic @ujsizzle...& to think it's original. You sure have a way with words. I visit your blog & i can't get enough of your writing.
Re: Blogging Advice For Beginners by UjSizzle(f): 5:55am On Jan 17, 2015
olurayshy:
UjSizzle pls bros help i really want to be a blogger but dnt know anything to go about it
Funny. That's the point of this thread. You should go read it again if you haven't.
9jaBloke:
This is epic @ujsizzle...& to think it's original. You sure have a way with words. I visit your blog & i can't get enough of your writing.
smiley Thanks hun kiss

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Airtel Security Flaw Led To Epic Hacking / Twitter Bans Free Promotion Of Facebook And Other Social Media Sites / How Can I Embed Google Ads In My Smf Forum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.