Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,798 members, 7,798,699 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:45 AM

Lagos Housemaid Elopes With Boyfriend, Steals Madam's Money, Underwear - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Lagos Housemaid Elopes With Boyfriend, Steals Madam's Money, Underwear (22335 Views)

Married Kenyan Woman Stuck With Boyfriend While Having Sex (Photos, Video) / Pregnant Wife Dumps Hubby , Elopes With Lover To USA (Pictured) / When your maid becomes the madam. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Housemaid Elopes With Boyfriend, Steals Madam's Money, Underwear by lalasticlala(m): 11:11am On Jan 10, 2015
Ijeoma Ugwumba’s euphoric mood over the date she had just shattered when she waltzed into her Lekki apartment one sultry Sunday evening.

Speaking with Naij.com, the mid-level federal civil servant says: “I saw a note from my house help, Oluchi (Muoghalu), saying that she had left. Her (mobile phone) number was not going, I called her parents (in Anambara State) and they said they did not see her. I was rushing to keep an appointment with my date, so I gave her N30,000 to pay into the bank for me. When I came back, Oluchi had disappeared with her bags and my money.”

“Not only that; she left with my DVD (player), my manicure kit, and even had the audacity to take some of my underwear,” she added.

Ms Ugwumba’s four days of an extensive manhunt eventually unearthed Ms Muoghalu in the far away Delta State. She had aborted a pregnancy, unknown to her employee, and eloped with a boyfriend to Asaba. She had also, to Ms Ugwumba’s chagrin, borrowed N10,000 from a neighbour on her employer’s behalf.

Ms Ugwumba’s plight represents what a growing number of Lagos residents pass through at the hands of domestic servants. The rapidly growing number of working women and the demands of living in an over populated mega city like Lagos have necessitated the need for hired help to take care of homes and children, in some cases.

In downtown Surulere, another resident, Bernadene Ihekweme, got a recent scare when she got home from work, around10pm one night, to find her maid and three children missing.

“Apart from my first son, (Jude), the rest are normally in bed by that time. I nearly had a heart attack. I panicked and started calling every neighbour to know where they were,” she said.

Her fears were assuaged when it turned out her husband, who works and resides in Abuja, had paid a surprise visit and played a prank on her by whisking the family away.

“Normally I shouldn’t have panicked like that, but in this era of maids and houseboys conniving with kidnappers, my brother do you blame me?” added Ms Ihekweme.

Her suspicions are equally mirrored by majority of respondents; even in cases where domestic servants have been with their employers for long periods.

A few bad eggs spoil the whole basket.

Having served her employer for a “loyal” eight years, Kikelomo Olarenwaju, is indignant at the suggestion that her trustworthiness could be suspect.

“That one can never happen,” she declared. “My madam (Abisola John-Martins) can never try to suspect me for anything. I have been here for so long that I can’t mess up. In short, I am now a part of the family. My madam has already registered for my JAMB; that is because she now wants me to go to university just like her children.”

Emilia Ike is an Economics graduate, and manages a cyber cafe at Aguda, Surulere. She has served as a house help to Cyprain and Geraldine Okwara since 2006.

“There was a time I had a problem with madam, but since then I have a very good relationship with them,” she said. “I am very grateful to them; oga sponsored my education from secondary to polytechnic, and even opened this cyber cafe for me to manage. I will stay with them until I marry.”

The experts’ advice.

Dave Uko, a legal practitioner, believes that some of these house helps that misbehave do so as a reaction to the unfair conditions of labour they might be subjected to.

“Some of these people that complain about their maid or house boy did this and that are the cause of their woes,” he said. “What do you expect from a maid who is over laboured and under paid? There are bound to be feelings of resentment in such cases. How many people know that their domestic servants, who are not relatives, are entitled to workmen’s compensation insurance under the Workmen Compensation Act? Domestic servants are human, and should be treated with the utmost respect.”

Ms Ugwumba is adamant that she treated her erstwhile maid well, and believes she has been unfairly rewarded.

“Now, her ungrateful parents are accusing me of all sorts of rubbish and even threatened my father when he went to their house to explain what happened,” she said.

Vox pop: House maid or house boy?

Anthony Okoye, businessman in Lawanson, Surulere. – “Definitely a housegirl because they are more respectful and unlikely to connive with criminals to rob you. I know a lot of friends that went for house boys and the kind of things they went through.”

Dave Uko, legal practitioner in Umuahia, Abia State. – “Interestingly my wife and I are currently debating this. I am tilting towards a girl, because of the house chores and market. But I think I will allow my wife to make the decision; after all she is the CEO of the home.”

Ifisade Omoruyi, banker in Ojuelegba. – “We have had three house helps; two girls and a boy (in six years). I think the boy performed better than the two girls. He could do all those chores that the girls will do, and even cook at times. Then he helps wash the cars, and some other things. When I decided that my children were old enough I recommended him to a friend, and she has not regretted hiring him.”

Jumoke Hassan, private school teacher, Costain, Ijora. – “I personally don’t subscribe to the use of house helps but I think female ones are more advisable if you must employ one.”

Amarachi Okwueze, beautician in Surulere. – “I think the main thing that matters is for one to look out for character instead of s*x. Both female and male house helps have their disadvantages if you employ the wrong one. The issue is to look for a trusted relative that might need your assistance in schooling or something, and double as your house help.”

No doubt, these people questioned have a lot of basis for their argument. Terrifying situations where househelps have turned on their employers can be found everywhere. Just a month ago, on December 16th, a housemaid and the driver connived to kill their boss in Lagos. In a related incident, some children were also kidnapped by their househelp a few weeks ago.

http://www.informationng.com/2015/01/see-what-these-housemaids-did-will-completely-blow-your-mind.html
Re: Lagos Housemaid Elopes With Boyfriend, Steals Madam's Money, Underwear by Nobody: 11:14am On Jan 10, 2015
Housemaids again? undecided

Emm...for now my younger sisters are helpful to me...but I prefer a house-boy, all he would do is house chores.

If not for the harsh economic conditions(a family can't survive properly on one income), fear of the unknown and the quest for individual financial independence - which mother would actually wanna leave her child for anyone, let alone some random househelp.

It's ideal to go for family e.g an extended cousin from the villa.

Ohhh, the househelp disappeared like a willy-willy with her underwears - that would definitely make the young lady so uncomfortable.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Housemaid Elopes With Boyfriend, Steals Madam's Money, Underwear by Nobody: 11:15am On Jan 10, 2015
So terrible. undecided
Re: Lagos Housemaid Elopes With Boyfriend, Steals Madam's Money, Underwear by Nobody: 11:19am On Jan 10, 2015
“Not only that; she left with my
DVD (player), my manicure kit, and
even had the audacity to take some
of my underwear,”

Overlook everything. The fact that her underwear got stolen is what's actually driving her nuts. grin

7 Likes

Re: Lagos Housemaid Elopes With Boyfriend, Steals Madam's Money, Underwear by zizazizu: 11:23am On Jan 10, 2015
Tah!
Re: Lagos Housemaid Elopes With Boyfriend, Steals Madam's Money, Underwear by lilmax(m): 11:23am On Jan 10, 2015
Chai
Re: Lagos Housemaid Elopes With Boyfriend, Steals Madam's Money, Underwear by Kylekent59: 11:26am On Jan 10, 2015
30k i even think say na 1million.
Any way sha if d money finishes she is gona b back

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Housemaid Elopes With Boyfriend, Steals Madam's Money, Underwear by Mintayo(m): 11:29am On Jan 10, 2015
Lol, it's not new, it happens all the time. One need to be careful with housemaids.
Re: Lagos Housemaid Elopes With Boyfriend, Steals Madam's Money, Underwear by erasergozy: 11:30am On Jan 10, 2015
It kinda hurts esp when you treat people well, if she's sure as she said dat she did her well make she free the rest for posterity to judge her.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Housemaid Elopes With Boyfriend, Steals Madam's Money, Underwear by Tallesty1(m): 11:35am On Jan 10, 2015
Aprime:

Overlook everything. The fact that her underwear got stolen is what is actually driving her nuts. grin
Maybe she doesn't buy good ones for the girl.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Housemaid Elopes With Boyfriend, Steals Madam's Money, Underwear by yungryce: 11:43am On Jan 10, 2015
Chai, there is God o

Na Im one single boy say im dey find house gehl. Boya na ur p.enis u want make she cm steal. grin grin grin grin
Na joke o

1 Like

Re: Lagos Housemaid Elopes With Boyfriend, Steals Madam's Money, Underwear by AbuMikey(m): 11:46am On Jan 10, 2015
Alàyé trust no one, not even the Naive Household gringringrin
Re: Lagos Housemaid Elopes With Boyfriend, Steals Madam's Money, Underwear by elantraceey(f): 11:48am On Jan 10, 2015
i don't know sha but i i don't think i'll ever have a househelp at least not one that stays in my house .
Re: Lagos Housemaid Elopes With Boyfriend, Steals Madam's Money, Underwear by AbuMikey(m): 11:53am On Jan 10, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

Emm...for now my younger sisters are helpful to me...but I prefer a house-boy, all he would do is house chores.

If not for the harsh economic conditions(a family can't survive properly on one income), fear of the unknown and the quest for individual financial independence - which mother would actually wanna leave her child for anyone, let alone some random househelp.

Ohhh, the househelp disappeared like a willy-willy with her underwears - that would definitely make the young lady so uncomfortable.

House Boys?

They are worse!!
Except maybe na one mumu boy from Ikot-Ekpene You wan carry as House boy gringringrin

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Housemaid Elopes With Boyfriend, Steals Madam's Money, Underwear by trisha01(f): 12:02pm On Jan 10, 2015
good 4 d madam! shey na housegirl she want angry
Re: Lagos Housemaid Elopes With Boyfriend, Steals Madam's Money, Underwear by Nobody: 12:06pm On Jan 10, 2015
Aprime:

Overlook everything. The fact that her underwear got stolen is what is actually driving her nuts. grin
Going by Nigerians/Africans superstitious belief, she's not safe. grin

You know there's two things involved? Either she use it for ritual or wear it. If it's latter, she's safe, the former, there's two things involved.

lipsrsealed

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Housemaid Elopes With Boyfriend, Steals Madam's Money, Underwear by dre11(m): 12:16pm On Jan 10, 2015
This is serious oooo

The menace of this house helps is getting more and more.

Hope this will.make our ladies to sit tight and do their home duties by themselves while the husband lend a hand of help.
Re: Lagos Housemaid Elopes With Boyfriend, Steals Madam's Money, Underwear by DeeBoiyy: 1:13pm On Jan 10, 2015
AbuMikey:

House Boys?

They are worse!!
Except maybe na one mumu boy from Ikot-Ekpene You wan carry as House boy gringringrin
idiot grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos Housemaid Elopes With Boyfriend, Steals Madam's Money, Underwear by AbuMikey(m): 1:44pm On Jan 10, 2015
DeeBoiyy:
idiot grin grin grin

Ya know!
Re: Lagos Housemaid Elopes With Boyfriend, Steals Madam's Money, Underwear by PerfumeRepublik: 1:48pm On Jan 10, 2015
All Join
Re: Lagos Housemaid Elopes With Boyfriend, Steals Madam's Money, Underwear by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jan 10, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

Families and houseboys can fúck up too..
Isn't better to just do your things yourself..
Re: Lagos Housemaid Elopes With Boyfriend, Steals Madam's Money, Underwear by gistmelove(m): 2:51pm On Jan 10, 2015
grin grin grin

GBAM LOBATAN OOOOO

GMB TILL 2019

Re: Lagos Housemaid Elopes With Boyfriend, Steals Madam's Money, Underwear by datguru: 2:52pm On Jan 10, 2015
Hmmmm
Re: Lagos Housemaid Elopes With Boyfriend, Steals Madam's Money, Underwear by KenSaroWiwa: 2:52pm On Jan 10, 2015
when the president of her country is a thief and a lier, why won't she engage in such. Show me your leader and I'll tell you the kind of person you aregrin

Sai Buhari
Re: Lagos Housemaid Elopes With Boyfriend, Steals Madam's Money, Underwear by SMREXY(m): 2:52pm On Jan 10, 2015
Wonders shall never end... Running away with 30k! I wonder if that can keep her and the so called bf for just a month
Re: Lagos Housemaid Elopes With Boyfriend, Steals Madam's Money, Underwear by freezyprinzy(m): 2:53pm On Jan 10, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

yea houseboy y am I thinking of another tin
Re: Lagos Housemaid Elopes With Boyfriend, Steals Madam's Money, Underwear by nefertiitii: 2:54pm On Jan 10, 2015
Bahahaha wonders
Re: Lagos Housemaid Elopes With Boyfriend, Steals Madam's Money, Underwear by Ahmed4002(m): 2:54pm On Jan 10, 2015
this is Nigeria.
Re: Lagos Housemaid Elopes With Boyfriend, Steals Madam's Money, Underwear by onoshenry(m): 2:54pm On Jan 10, 2015
If you must have a house boy or girl treat him or her like your child else you be on the news like this.
Re: Lagos Housemaid Elopes With Boyfriend, Steals Madam's Money, Underwear by LMAyedun(m): 2:55pm On Jan 10, 2015
Na normal thing nau!
Sorry to the madam sha

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Men That Want Their Women Pregnant Before They Can Marry / That Childish Behavior You Still Do As An Adult. / The Reason You Should Smile All The Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.