Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,090 members, 7,807,257 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:39 AM

The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State (36842 Views)

9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) / Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People / East African Coast | Culture And People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State by ICHINONYE(m): 7:16pm On Jan 10, 2015
Earlier this week Nkpa in bende LGA of Abia state where i come from was listed as one of the 10 most expensive cultures to marry 4rm, while we where arguing i found out that i have so many brothers and sisters here on Nairaland, but goggling the history of bende was no where to be found,that was y i had 2 come up with this piece of our history and people enjoy grin

Today am writing about Bende LGA of Abia State Nigeria, but before i go on i need to tell you alittle about my state in which Bende is located.

Abia State was carved out of the former Imo State in 1991.The name "Abia" is an abbreviation of four of the state's densely populated regions Aba, Bende, Isuikwuato, and Afikpo of which Afikpo later waz carved out to form the present day Ebonyi State.

The present day Bende LGA was formally caled Old Bende which administrative and geo-political area stretched At that time,from Arochukwu to Umuahia and included such towns as Ututu, Ihechiowa, Ohafia, Abiriba, Nkporo, Abam, Umuhu, Bende, Igbere, Item,Alayi,Ozu-item, Isiukwu-ato, Uzuakoli, Nkpa, Umuahia, and Ikwuano with a population of 3 million people.

Citizens from the Old Bende LGA area are simply referred to as "Bende People".The term Bende is in honor of a town called "Bende" which was the seat of Local Government under the Old Bende LGA era of governance. Even today, the Bende town is still the administrative seat of Bende in the present day Abia state local government areas structure.

BACK TO BENDE LOCAL GOVT AREA.

According to my source BENDE today has many towns namely; Nkpa, Nkpokpa, Amaohoro, Eluama, Agbaiyi, Umuede, Umuewu, Ugwu, Obilaji, Okpobia , Alayi, Item ,Okporoenyi, Ugwueke , Eziukwu, Igbere and Odua with the toatal population of about 128.227 based on 2006 population census. Bende is predominantly farmers and local traders.

Bende is blessed with so many natural resources like Salt, Gold, Phosphate, Laterite Gravel and Lime Stone.It is also one of the three agricultural backbone of Abia state.The people cultivate yam, cassava, coco yam and harvest Large Palm oil plantation for commercial and personal consumption which waz formerly the heavy earner for the people in the LGA before the Oil boom and has now been neglected.

Bende people are known for their bravery and self-reliance.They showed a lot of these great traits in the wars of survival during the Nigeria Bifran War. so also in those days and still being practiced total in some selected towns Victories over enemies were copiously celebrated with our trademark and famous Bende War Dance which is very unique and very popular, The War Dance is a constant staple in our cultural diet. Through their bravery, Bende people were able to survive during the era when Might was Power.

Bende today despite producing top men like ace actor, Mr. James Iroha, aka Giringory Akabuogu of new Masquerade cast, Chinedu Ikedieze A.K.A Aki,Okechukwu Edward Ukeje also known as Mr. Raw, DR Orji Uzor Kalu former govnor of Abia state 1999/2006 plus other top Educationalist, intellectual clans and heavy weights of Abia politic,is still suffering from mismanagement.

Please when next you visit Abia state try pay a visit to bende,kindly forget the bad roads that paint the town red and blue and tap into the hospitality of our good people,so also the abundant but neglected resources most especially the Oil Palm plantation within "money dey dier ooh " .

You are all welcome.
Bende kwenu ,Nigeria kwenu oo
Thanks.

This post is writen by me Ifeanyi I. Chinonyerem of @iichinonyerem with help from http://www.abiastate.gov.ng/state-profile/history-of-abia-state/

5 Likes

Re: The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State by ICHINONYE(m): 7:59pm On Jan 10, 2015
Plss if ure 4rm Bende lets meet here n build our self
Re: The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State by Nobody: 8:47pm On Jan 10, 2015
When you said Bende has a population of 3 million, I'm sure you meant the entire population of Abia State. Right?
Re: The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State by LaurelP(m): 8:57pm On Jan 10, 2015
Wow nice one nwanne ukwu
I enjoyed every bit of it
Bende boasts of many prominent ppl in dis country like Orji Uzor Kalu, Nnenna Ukeje, J-Martins, Nigga Raw, Chinedu ikedieze, 2shots, Uche Jombo and many more

1 Like

Re: The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State by Beesluv: 4:29am On Jan 11, 2015
Mr Akin grin looks cool
Re: The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State by ICHINONYE(m): 6:39pm On Jan 11, 2015
YEA
Beesluv:
Mr Akin grin looks cool
Re: The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State by Abiagirl777(f): 12:08am On Jan 13, 2015
You have tried but your research is half baked.
1. To start with the new bende LGA comprises of villages lyk Alayi,item,bende,nkpa,okporoenyi,ugwueke ,eziukwu,igbere and some more not the communities in your nkpa u listed which i've never heard or came across.
2.They are not 3million in no.
3. God will punish the incumbent Governor,tell him.
Btw,iam frm Alayi by birth,but marriage no.

1 Like

Re: The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State by Redoil: 2:48pm On Jan 13, 2015
Radoillo:
When you said Bende has a population of 3 million, I'm sure you meant the entire population of Abia State. Right?
you dey mind them.
That was how a clown claim that igbo people are the largest ethnic group in nigeria
Re: The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State by Redoil: 2:49pm On Jan 13, 2015
Abiagirl777:
1. To start with the new bende LGA comprises of villages lyk Alayi,item,bende,nkpa,okporoenyi,ugwueke ,eziukwu,igbere and some more not the communities in your nkpa u listed which i've never heard or came across.
correct. But why you come dey vex
Re: The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State by ICHINONYE(m): 9:55pm On Jan 13, 2015
Abiagirl777:

sory Old Bende is 3million that waz a mistake , the present Bende s 128.227 sory for the mix up .

on d villages its been corrected we re all learning here
Re: The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State by pazienza(m): 7:55am On Jan 14, 2015
Add Umuhu Ezechi, and Loghum imenyi, to the list of Bende towns.

Nice thread, by the way.
Re: The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State by ICHINONYE(m): 8:25am On Apr 29, 2015
My felow Bende pple I great oo
Re: The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State by Ihuomadinihu: 11:46am On Apr 29, 2015
ICHINONYE:
My felow Bende pple I great oo
I greet you too.
Re: The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State by Ihuomadinihu: 11:47am On Apr 29, 2015
Redoil:
you dey mind them.
That was how a clown claim that igbo people are the largest ethnic group in nigeria
Is igbo not the largest ethnic group?

2 Likes

Re: The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State by Redoil: 1:26pm On Apr 29, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Is igbo not the largest ethnic group?
i like this ur name can you tell me the meaning of the name.
Re: The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State by Eke40seven(m): 8:42am On Apr 30, 2015
Abiagirl777:

Sister, I'm from Alayi too, Amankalu...
Re: The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State by Eke40seven(m): 9:03am On Apr 30, 2015
ICHINONYE:
Earlier this week Nkpa in bende LGA of Abia state where i come from was listed as one of the 10 most expensive cultures to marry 4rm, while we where arguing i found out that i have so many brothers and sisters here on Nairaland, but goggling the history of bende was no where to be found,that was y i had 2 come up with this piece of our history and people enjoy grin

Recently during service, I met a female Corper from Nkpa and we relished our "shared ancestry". I however thought the dialect would be similar to what is obtainable in Umunnato (Alayi, Igbere and Item) but I was shocked that what she spoke was closer to what is obtainable in lets say Umuahia while ours is closer to what is spoken in Abiriba and Nkporo (I don't think they are both in Bende LGA). I thought, she couldn't really speak the dialect until I went further to ask my parents questions about this hidden Nkpa community.
That event really exposed how so little I know about my place.
Re: The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State by Ihuomadinihu: 10:28am On Apr 30, 2015
Eke40seven:

Recently during service, I met a female Corper from Nkpa and we relished our "shared ancestry". I however thought the dialect would be similar to what is obtainable in Umunnato (Alayi, Igbere and Item) but I was shocked that what she spoke was closer to what is obtainable in lets say Umuahia while ours is closer to what is spoken in Abiriba and Nkporo (I don't think they are both in Bende LGA). I thought, she couldn't really speak the dialect until I went further to ask my parents questions about this hidden Nkpa community.
Because Nkpa and some other surronding villages migrated from Isuikwuato. Their dialects would be close to what is spoken in Isuikwuato and Umuahia communities.
Re: The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State by Eke40seven(m): 11:30am On Apr 30, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Because Nkpa and some other surronding villages migrated from Isuikwuato. Their dialects would be close to what is spoken in Isuikwuato and Umuahia communities.
Hmmmm! Guess I knew too little after all. Isuikwuato is bordered by Alayi too. The dialect differs too. I think the dialects from Alayi to Ohafia to Arochukwu have the Ibibio/Efik language influences from the way they sound.
Re: The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State by Abiagirl777(f): 12:51pm On Apr 30, 2015
Eke40seven:

Sister, I'm from Alayi too, Amankalu...

jokwa nwanne!
You are blessed,Igboji son.
Re: The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State by Nobody: 8:28am On May 01, 2015
Rep Umuimenyi
Re: The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State by Ihuomadinihu: 9:43pm On May 01, 2015
Danrizzle:
Am from Lodu.... that's opposite lohum(which is directly after uzuakoli), Nkpa, alkoli, are side neighbours. The aforementioned clans I believe, are closely and historically related.... including some clans in isuikwuato LGA like ahaba, ovim, ezere. I think an 'Imenyi' factor is the connection. Other bende peoples are those from Item, alayi, bende, igbere, etc.
Yeah,the first communities you mentioned came from isuikwuato.
Re: The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State by Ihuomadinihu: 9:46pm On May 01, 2015
Eke40seven:

Hmmmm! Guess I knew too little after all. Isuikwuato is bordered by Alayi too. The dialect differs too. I think the dialects from Alayi to Ohafia to Arochukwu have the Ibibio/Efik language influences from the way they sound.
Yeah,technically most communities south of Umuahia lie within the Cross River igbo culture while Alayi down to Arochukwu are linguistically connected to Cross river igbo dialect.

1 Like

Re: The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State by ICHINONYE(m): 11:00pm On May 04, 2015
yeaa we are hitting it foward love dis, Ndi Bende Ndewo nu
Re: The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State by Eke40seven(m): 7:28am On May 06, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Yeah,technically most communities south of Umuahia lie within the Cross River igbo culture while Alayi down to Arochukwu are linguistically connected to Cross river igbo dialect.
It seems you are from this region.
Re: The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State by Ihuomadinihu: 9:01am On May 06, 2015
Eke40seven:
It seems you are from this region.
Not really,just interested in all Igbo people.
Re: The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State by Eke40seven(m): 10:14am On May 07, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Not really,just interested in all Igbo people.
Then that interest must be really deep. Its high time though these local governments started stacking the libraries with good history books one can go and inform oneself.
Re: The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State by Eke40seven(m): 10:29am On May 07, 2015
Abiagirl777:

jokwa nwanne!,Amautazi Amankalu to be precise.
You are blessed,Igboji son.
Jokwa! Amaigwu to be precise. That place brings back memories during December periods when we were still kids, we (me, brother and cousins) along with all our childish shenanigans would trek through Amaoji and through Amautazi on our way to the school at Methodist (I think they call it Amarugboghor) to grace the annual Nkalu day and the football match after the cultural proceedings. Days of our innocence, young, wild and free.
Re: The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State by Ihuomadinihu: 2:15pm On May 07, 2015
Eke40seven:

Then that interest must be really deep. Its high time though these local governments started stacking the libraries with good history books one can go and inform oneself.
Yes,i think the interest lies in being more aware of Igbo culture and searching for the origin of igbo people. I was able to trace these communities as descendants of Isuikwuato people. I have asked questions and natives of Isuikwuato say they have no history/memory of migration.Haha.
I believe they are one of the igbo clans that migrated from Nsukka,Udi and Okigwe area,considering the discovery of Ugwuele artifacts. Little researches here and there go a long way.
The more you search,the more it points to a northern origin/migration.
Re: The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 2:35pm On May 07, 2015
Nwa afo Ohuhu umuahia na ekele unu

2 Likes

Re: The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State by Nobody: 11:48pm On Jun 06, 2015
Eke40seven:

Brother sorry to bug you but I sincerely plead that you give me a digit I can call you on . I need some good advice from you.

Or you could pls beep me on this whatsap : 07032035317

looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards.
Re: The History And People Of Bende Lga Of Abia State by Eke40seven(m): 2:49pm On Jun 09, 2015
Guitarlife:

Brother sorry to bug you but I sincerely plead that you give me a digit I can call you on . I need some good advice from you.

Or you could pls beep me on this whatsap : 07032035317

looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards.

I just saw this post now added you on Whatsapp but couldn't get through to you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight / 3 Cultural Activities That Need To Be Changed In Nigeria / Ooni Ogunwusi Visits Otunba Olasubomi Balogun, Founder Of FCMB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.