Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,415 members, 7,808,481 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:36 PM

The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) - Travel (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) (119683 Views)

The Humans Of Ogun State (street Photography) / 5 People You Will Find On Any Lagos Street / Monday Morning Inspiration From The Humans Of Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 5:10pm On Mar 31, 2015
"I have a company in Turkey with 8 staff. I tell them see, in 2-3 years I want you to have learnt enough from me to go out there and succeed on your own. Some people secretly hold back their employees from been successful cos they don't want to lose their services. A leader should strive to make sure those under him become better than he or she is. I want all my employees to excel, to reach greater heights, to be better than me"

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Nobody: 6:43pm On Mar 31, 2015
TochiPhotos:

We weren't able to set that up then.

And is there a reason why it can't be an option now?
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 9:21pm On Apr 01, 2015
naijababe:

And is there a reason why it can't be an option now?
Maybe when the ongoing one is over. Starting it now might not bring the desired results.

1 Like

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 9:21pm On Apr 01, 2015
"I didn't work yesterday but I don't regret it. Yesterday was filled with so much happiness that no amount of money I could have gotten from work would have made me that happy. At a point during the announcements I felt tears coming out from my eyes. I thought people only cry when they are sad but yesterday I cried and it was of joy. I remember looking around in the place we gathered to watch and I wasn't the only one crying, I saw one old man he just knelt down tears in his eyes and praising Allah for giving us this day. Yesterday was the happiest day of my life and I will remember it as the day everything changed for good. My wife is pregnant and will soon put to bed. If it's a boy, I will name him Muhammadu, if it's a girl I will name her Aisha.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by sholay2011(m): 9:46pm On Apr 01, 2015
TochiPhotos:
"I didn't work yesterday but I don't regret it. Yesterday was filled with so much happiness that no amount of money I could have gotten from work would have made me that happy. At a point during the announcements I felt tears coming out from my eyes. I thought people only cry when they are sad but yesterday I cried and it was of joy. I remember looking around in the place we gathered to watch and I wasn't the only one crying, I saw one old man he just knelt down tears in his eyes and praising Allah for giving us this day. Yesterday was the happiest day of my life and I will remember it as the day everything changed for good. My wife is pregnant and will soon put to bed. If it's a boy, I will name him Muhammadu, if it's a girl I will name her Aisha.
Awww...lool.

1 Like

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 4:41pm On Apr 02, 2015
"I wanted to be a reverend father, I was in sacred Heart Seminary when the war started and one morning some biafran soldiers came to our school and selected some of us to fight in the war. I was among those selected but because of my age, I was assigned to the boys camp unit. Our mission was to go to enemy camp, pretend as children who lost there parents then gather Intel about the enemy and sneak out after a few days to lead our soldiers in an ambush. After the war, I couldn't go back to the Seminary and I learnt a trade instead. My son, war is a terrible thing and I pray we never experience such in our country again."

31 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Nobody: 4:44pm On Apr 02, 2015
TochiPhotos:
My son, war is a terrible thing and I pray we never experience such in our country again."

[size=14pt]
AMEN....

#OneNigeria
[/size]

9 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Nobody: 4:46pm On Apr 02, 2015
Kudos TochiPhotos...this is laudable.

2 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 7:05pm On Apr 03, 2015
"During the war, I did well in the boys camp Intel unit and was later assigned to the commander of the infantry. He liked me so much and treated me like a son. One day I had measles and told him I needed to go home for treatment and to also check how my people are doing. The day I left, he was assainated. I was always with him everyday but for that day and I was accused of killing him and a manhunt began to get me. I didn't understand how I could kill him, he was like a father to me I knew he had enemies in the camp but I didn't know they would kill him and the person planned it so it will fall on me. I was arrested and taken to PH to be executed the priest even came and after praying for me and confession I said my final prayer and awaited my death. As a soldier fighting a war, you know death would come one day but this one was different. It was people I ate and drank with that are pulling the trigger and you can't duck or anything you'll just stand helplessly and wait for your death. But luckily for me a high ranked officer who was a friend to my late boss and had seen him that day came and verified my story of been giving a leave that day and I was freed and put in the war front instead and I survived."

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 6:16pm On Apr 04, 2015
"My mummy said she will buy me a new school bag if I don't disturb her in the shop."

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by cococandy(f): 6:59pm On Apr 04, 2015
Wow embarassed
TochiPhotos:
"During the war, I did well in the boys camp Intel unit and was later assigned to the commander of the infantry. He liked me so much and treated me like a son. One day I had measles and told him I needed to go home for treatment and to also check how my people are doing. The day I left, he was assainated. I was always with him everyday but for that day and I was accused of killing him and a manhunt began to get me. I didn't understand how I could kill him, he was like a father to me I knew he had enemies in the camp but I didn't know they would kill him and the person planned it so it will fall on me. I was arrested and taken to PH to be executed the priest even came and after praying for me and confession I said my final prayer and awaited my death. As a soldier fighting a war, you know death would come one day but this one was different. It was people I ate and drank with that are pulling the trigger and you can't duck or anything you'll just stand helplessly and wait for your death. But luckily for me a high ranked officer who was a friend to my late boss and had seen him that day came and verified my story of been giving a leave that day and I was freed and put in the war front instead and I survived."
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 6:17pm On Apr 06, 2015
"I came back from work one evening and received a call that my village in Adamawa was attacked by boko haram and my brother and his family are missing and feared dead. Before that incident he was making arrangements to bring his family to Lagos. During the first few days I was hopeful, each day I will come home hoping to receive a call from him that they are safe but the call never came. Days turned to weeks, weeks to months and now it's almost a year. Sometimes I dream about them only to wake up feeling sad wishing I could bring them from the dream to real life. Now I'm slowly making peace with the fact that they might be gone forever. I'm just focused on my work now and I'll leave everything to God."

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by sholay2011(m): 6:49pm On Apr 06, 2015
TochiPhotos:
"I came back from work one evening and received a call that my village in Adamawa was attacked by boko haram and my brother and his family are missing and feared dead. Before that incident he was making arrangements to bring his family to Lagos. During the first few days I was hopeful, each day I will come home hoping to receive a call from him that they are safe but the call never came. Days turned to weeks, weeks to months and now it's almost a year. Sometimes I dream about them only to wake up feeling sad wishing I could bring them from the dream to real life. Now I'm slowly making peace with the fact that they might be gone forever. I'm just focused on my work now and I'll leave everything to God."
Chai! It's well o. This is haunting.

2 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Ksslib(m): 7:31pm On Apr 06, 2015
TochiPhotos:
Wow. This is so sad. So sad sleeping everyday and waking up, still not knowing if they are either dead or alive.

2 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Glamrock(f): 10:24pm On Apr 06, 2015
TochiPhotos:

Heartbreaking

2 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Originalsly: 3:41pm On Apr 07, 2015
TochiPhotos:
Hmmm.... no closure ..not knowing if your loved ones are dead or alive is the worst feelings one can have. We see people everyday ....like him on his shiny motorcycle and think they are lucky and happy ...not knowing the burden in their heart. Love this thread...keeps me grounded.

6 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 6:49pm On Apr 07, 2015
*Update on Vivian* So far, we've raised $8,839 thanks to all the amazing people that have donated and to each and everyone of you sharing this on your page and various social media platforms. Met with United for kids foundation and Vivian's parents today to update them about the funds raised and to know know far UKF has gone with the Hospital arrangements. So far, only one hospital out of all those reached out to has gotten back to them. The funds we've raised so far won't be enough. We've come a long way and can't stand down now. We can do this people. Please keep sharing this and tag friends you think might help. Also, if you have any information that can help or know any Hospital that can carry out the surgery with the available funds please send an email to Thehumansoflagos@gmail.com Thanks and God bless you all. To donate visit http://www.gofundme.com/ojv9zs

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 8:02pm On Apr 08, 2015
"I'm part of a team at United for kids foundation that help train pupils in some select public schools. UKF has libraries in those schools where we provide the best learning materials and a conducive environment for the kids.
We make learning fun and interactive for them. Most of these kids don't know a classroom could be like this. They haven't been in such a conducive learning environment before and it's all new to them and totally different from what they are used to with leaking roofs, broken desks etc and often over crowded with as much as over 40 pupils in a classroom making it hard for the teachers to teach or control the class. Our public schools are nothing to write home about.
We have limited time to spend with the children and each day the kids look forward to the 30 minutes and once it's time they all run to the library hugging us and telling us how much they missed been here.
These are the same kids that teachers complain are stubborn or don't pay attention in class. But when they are here they become really interested in learning and the kids you see in the classroom making noise and been stubborn all of sudden change, become quiet and willing to learn. It's just like it brings out a different part of them. Some of these students were made to believe they won't be anything in life, they often tell us how some of their teachers curse them and all that. They feel abandoned and most times it makes them stubborn and lose interest in studying. We try and make them understand they can be whoever they want to be.
Some of them really have it tough at home, when you talk to them you understand they are going through a lot at home which also affects their behavior but their teachers don't take out time to get to know them or try to understand them. Some of them are really intelligent but you won't know till you take time to get really close to them and help them discover themselves.
At the end of the term we give out scholarships to the best students and send them to the best private schools and those we've sent so far are excelling in their various schools. This Library here in Ojudu primary school is one of the 4 we have so far." #HumansOfLagos

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 6:27pm On Apr 09, 2015
"It's hard for me to pick which is the best thing one of the kids has said to me. When they are here, they are always happy and smiling and it could get emotional sometimes and they'd say all these sweet things but there is one moment I won't forget in a hurry, it wasn't even what was said.
There was this kid, he wasn't doing well in his class and could barely read and write till he started coming to the library. He didn't have a good foundation so we went all the way back to the roots, we were patient with him and soon enough he picked up. Even his parents came to the school one day to know what changed and see the special library he always told them about.
Then one day in the library he just came and hugged me and didn't want to let go. He didn't say anything he just held me."

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by WhyNa: 9:26pm On Apr 09, 2015
Awwww
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by simiolu1(m): 7:10am On Apr 10, 2015
TochiPhotos:
"It's hard for me to pick which is the best thing one of the kids has said to me. When they are here, they are always happy and smiling and it could get emotional sometimes and they'd say all these sweet things but there is one moment I won't forget in a hurry, it wasn't even what was said.
There was this kid, he wasn't doing well in his class and could barely read and write till he started coming to the library. He didn't have a good foundation so we went all the way back to the roots, we were patient with him and soon enough he picked up. Even his parents came to the school one day to know what changed and see the special library he always told them about.
Then one day in the library he just came and hugged me and didn't want to let go. He didn't say anything he just held me."
I read this more than once & each time, it almost made me cry...

6 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 7:26pm On Apr 10, 2015
"I'm not happy with our government officials at all. Look at Dubai of yesterday, see how beautiful it is. Is it not the same oil money. why is our own different?
I keep hearing about the mansions some government officials are building abroad and the money they squander. It breaks my heart. I don't want to suffer and my child will still grow up and still suffer. I just want things to be better."

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by DzTzl(f): 10:44am On Apr 12, 2015
This brought tears!!!

1 Like

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 5:19pm On Apr 13, 2015
"Few years ago on my birthday, my girlfriend(now wife) bought me a small diary with a scientific calculator and a little note. 'I will always be there for you' it was an inexpensive gift but it's the best I've ever received. I was in my final year studying Engineering and you know how hard and stressful the course is. Knowing she was on my side meant everything to me.
HOL: what's the best gift you've given her?
Making her my wife.
Marrying her is the best decision I've made in my life. Can't imagine my life without her."

11 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 7:43pm On Apr 14, 2015
"I had this lecturer during my undergrad, he had the last class on Fridays. Here is the thing, everybody including me hated mr Akingboye. Whenever he enters the class first thing he will say is I'm here to ruin your weekend and he will say it with some kind of mischievous smile.
He will proceed and give us real world assignments that will take us out of our comfort zones and the thing is you can't copy, you must go out to sites and research the assignment yourself. We hated him for always spoiling our weekend. But fast forward to now, years after graduating I've realized his assignments were the best thing to happen to us in Fed Poly Ilaro. I've been able to overcome so many challenges at work because I've experienced it in his assignments back then. I'm a better Engineer today because of Mr Akingboye ."

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by IFELEKE(m): 7:50pm On Apr 14, 2015
Tochi,
God Bless U!...
That's all I can say for now, I'll be back!

1 Like

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by hitleraldof(m): 9:50am On Apr 15, 2015
i'd love to see this project on a wider platform.....it should go beyound nairaland........HOL--Capturing the common mans dreams

1 Like

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by GIYAZZ(m): 10:36am On Apr 15, 2015
Popowaa wow! You're still on Nairaland. Wow wow wow! It's been a long time girl. Long time for real. cheesy
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Popowaa: 1:46pm On Apr 15, 2015
GIYAZZ:
Popowaa wow! You're still on Nairaland. Wow wow wow! It's been a long time girl. Long time for real. cheesy
cheesy just a silent reader now
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 6:32pm On Apr 15, 2015
"We are mami water people from Osun Oshogbo, we came to Lagos to look for festival donations.
HOL: Do you have super powers?
Yes.
HOL: Which one of you is more powerful?
Ah! We are just messengers the most powerful one is in Oshogbo."

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by GIYAZZ(m): 7:20pm On Apr 15, 2015
Popowaa:
cheesy just a silent reader now
Cool cool. But uhm, do you still remember me? cheesy
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by GIYAZZ(m): 7:24pm On Apr 15, 2015
TochiPhotos:
"We are mami water people from Osun Oshogbo, we came to Lagos to look for festival donations.
HOL: Do you have super powers?
Yes.
HOL: Which one of you is more powerful?
Ah! We are just messengers the most powerful one is in Oshogbo."
Buhahahahahahaha! @ Ah! The most powerful one is in Oshogbo!" gringrin

Like seriously? I don't believe Mami water exists. I don't.

CC Sholay2011 angry

Demelza cheesy

Glamrock shocked

Pagan9ja grin

Odumchi undecided

Airforce1 (Your people cheesy)

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (31) (Reply)

I Just Got A 3-Month Visa To Dubai, I Need Your Suggestions Please!!! / Lions Nap On Road In South Africa During Lockdown (Photos) / Beautiful Calabar In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.