Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,104 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:12 PM

The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) - Travel (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) (119687 Views)

The Humans Of Ogun State (street Photography) / 5 People You Will Find On Any Lagos Street / Monday Morning Inspiration From The Humans Of Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by sholay2011(m): 11:27am On Aug 04, 2015
timifakay:
Great thread boss TochiPhotos *thumbs up*

Found this early today and was glued to my phone all day, sent your links to friends and invited some to like the Facebook page... Been so captivating. Congrats on the Vivian account breakthrough, though she lost the battle, God knows best.... I could go on.

I don't know if you can post some in Pidgin English then the British English translation will follow (I guess some people respond in pidgin), I think it may increase the 'Nigerian flavour/ feel'. Thanks for your time, energy and resources. God bless you plenty.
Nice suggestion.

3 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Ezemust: 4:42pm On Aug 04, 2015
tochi dalu
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 8:45pm On Aug 04, 2015
timifakay:
Great thread boss TochiPhotos *thumbs up*

Found this early today and was glued to my phone all day, sent your links to friends and invited some to like the Facebook page... Been so captivating. Congrats on the Vivian account breakthrough, though she lost the battle, God knows best.... I could go on.

I don't know if you can post some in Pidgin English then the British English translation will follow (I guess some people respond in pidgin), I think it may increase the 'Nigerian flavour/ feel'. Thanks for your time, energy and resources. God bless you plenty.
Nice suggestion bro... Will do that. Thanks for the kind words, really appreciate.
Ezemust:
tochi dalu
Ndewo grin
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 8:49pm On Aug 04, 2015
"My nickname is Eko Oni Baje, if you go to Mushin, ask of Eko Oni Baje or Kazeem my house is opposite ile ogogoro.
I love Lagos, I love Fashola, he is the best governor Nigeria has ever had. If he contests for president, I will happily vote for him but there is something he did that still pains me, he destroyed our shops because of road expansion and he did not settle us. I know a lot of people that became touts because of that, some have giving up and are doing all sort of things to feed their family.
You see that tall building over there? You can't jump from first floor to the 10th, you will climb it one step at a time. I'm living my life jeje and I know when my time comes, God will bless me."

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 8:29pm On Aug 05, 2015
"I'm on scholarship from the kaduna state Govt. I'm studying Marine Management and I'm in Lagos on assignment to study the Sea.
I'm enjoying the whole experience and opportunity to gain more knowledge but I'm seeing so many graduates without jobs and some doing the kind of work I thought people that went to school are not supposed to do and it scares me."

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 9:35pm On Aug 06, 2015
"I built a 4 bedroom flat for my mum through my corn proceeds. I lost my father when I was young and even tho he was not there to guide and advise me, I knew where I came from and I did not need anyone to sit me down before I did the right thing.
I've been doing this business since my teenage years, I'm also a caterer and a fashion designer but once it's corn season, I leave it and face corn. It hasn't been easy tho, I have to back my baby while standing and I only go home to see my husband on weekends. Nobody that knows me will believe I sell corn here.

21 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Pukka36(f): 11:59am On Aug 07, 2015
Wow,God bless Ur business Ma'am.

I hope to build a bigger house for my mum one day alsocheesy

Keep up the good works Mr Tochiphotos.

1 Like

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 9:34pm On Aug 07, 2015
Pukka36:
Wow,God bless Ur business Ma'am.

I hope to build a bigger house for my mum one day alsocheesy

Keep up the good works Mr Tochiphotos.
Amen to that cheesy
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 9:35pm On Aug 07, 2015
"As a child, I trained Rams for the annual Ram fights during Ileya and I was good at taking care of them so years later I moved into the more profitable Cow rearing business.
I've been doing this for close to 20 years.
Cows are quiet and easily obey commands but when they get jealous which they do easily, they become very aggressive and might fight each other to death. The last time they fought it was because one finished its food before the other and after staring at the other cow in anger for a long time, she attacked her."

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by RealAlfranco: 8:40pm On Aug 08, 2015
"she attacked her."

Shooo!!! So females getting jealous of each other also affects lesser animals...

Before the feminazis attack me,I apologise in advance

Good one,Tochi!!!

4 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 9:53pm On Aug 08, 2015
"I was sent to a normal public school instead of a school for the deaf, I wasn't learning anything so I stopped going.
My parents told me to go to Lagos and make money. I've been here for a while now, I carry load for people in the market and I'm saving my money."

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 1:21pm On Aug 09, 2015
Mubarak1:

Wow! Great job TochiPhotos I'm a silent follow
keep the great job moving dude, Pls can u
recommend for me a Digital Camera for my own
personal use? And the price with some features
pls. Thanks!
You are good to go with a Canon 600d(t3i) the kit 18-55mm lens will be enough to serve your needs but I will recommend you get a fast prime lens. If you still have money left, buy the 50mm f1.8 lens, it's good in low light, very sharp and fast.
Aspireahead:
please, Tochiphotos do answer the question about camera recommendation... i am planning on going into nature photography(odd right?) and will love some suggestions and advice. gracias
Get Nikon D610 or canon 5d mark ii. They are both full frame but I personally think you should go with D610 it has more features than mark ii and it's less expensive. 5d mark ii just has that name and the only advantage it has is manual aperture control when shooting videos. For the lens, buy a wide angle lens from 16-35mm will fine and then get the 70-200mm f2.8 or 55-200mm f5.6. The wide angle for taking beautiful landscapes and the zoom for close ups.

Mubarak1
Aspireahead

I'm so sorry for my late reply, wanted to go to Okey Japan in Idumota and Shoprite to compare the prices then include it in my reply but I've not had time to do so. You guys can easily get the price online from konga or Jumia. Instead of listing the features, I recommend you guys make out time and go to Nikon office in Ikeja or Okey Japan in Idumota they will let you guys test shoot and compare the cameras. You can also order from Ebay or Dubizzle it's cheaper that way... check out justi4jesu 's thread on buying from Dubai and USA.

3 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Mubarak1(m): 3:51pm On Aug 09, 2015
TochiPhotos:

You are good to go with a Canon 600d(t3i) the kit 18-55mm lens will be enough to serve your needs but I will recommend you get a fast prime lens. If you still have money left, buy the 50mm f1.8 lens, it's good in low light, very sharp and fast.

Get Nikon D610 or canon 5d mark ii. They are both full frame but I personally think you should go with D610 it has more features than mark ii and it's less expensive. 5d mark ii just has that name and the only advantage it has is manual aperture control when shooting videos. For the lens, buy a wide angle lens from 16-35mm will fine and then get the 70-200mm f2.8 or 55-200mm f5.6. The wide angle for taking beautiful landscapes and the zoom for close ups.

Mubarak1
Aspireahead

I'm so sorry for my late reply, wanted to go to Okey Japan in Idumota and Shoprite to compare the prices then include it in my reply but I've not had time to do so. You guys can easily get the price online from konga or Jumia. Instead of listing the features, I recommend you guys make out time and go to Nikon office in Ikeja or Okey Japan in Idumota they will let you guys test shoot and compare the cameras. You can also order from Ebay or Dubizzle it's cheaper that way... check out justi4jesu 's thread on buying from Dubai and USA.
Thanks man..
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 9:56pm On Aug 10, 2015
"My uncle flogged me with hose yesterday because I mistakenly collected a fake N1000, he said he will keep flogging me every night till I replace the money.
He also flogged me last week with the same hose because I did not return in time from an errand he sent me, that's where I got these marks on my body from.
He brought me from the village September last year and he told my parents he will send me to school when I get to Lagos, but the last time I asked him about it, he said he doesn't have money for that yet."

*HOL replaced the fake naira note and offered to follow him home and talk to his uncle but he said no, he was afraid it would lead to more punishment after.

12 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by lancee(m): 10:05pm On Aug 10, 2015
TochiPhotos:
"My uncle flogged me with hose yesterday because I mistakenly collected a fake N1000, he said he will keep flogging me every night till I replace the money.
He also flogged me last week with the same hose because I did not return in time from an errand he sent me, that's where I got these marks on my body from.
He brought me from the village September last year and he told my parents he will send me to school when I get to Lagos, but the last time I asked him about it, he said he doesn't have money for that yet."

*HOL replaced the fake naira note and offered to follow him home and talk to his uncle but he said no, he was afraid it would lead to more punishment after.

If what you said is TRUE ...then your Uncle is abusive/wicked , i hope will be able to fulfil what he promised ur parents

1 Like

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by donsmall94(m): 10:45pm On Aug 10, 2015
TochiPhotos:

cry cry

1 Like

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by ChubbyRomeo(m): 2:00pm On Aug 11, 2015
TochiPhotos:

I don't have a criteria for selecting the quotes I use, I talk to them and pick an interesting quote from my conversation with them. about posting your pictures, I'm not entirely sure about that now, it could still evolve into that but for now no. But you could join me on the streets one day, I'm sure you'd find it interesting and I'm looking forward to shooting with you.
Glad you like the pictures. Thanks.
bro i will like to join you in the streets,,, how do i contact you?
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by justi4jesu(f): 2:18pm On Aug 11, 2015
TochiPhotos:

Mubarak1
Aspireahead

Thanks Tochi.
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Nobody: 2:39pm On Aug 11, 2015
TochiPhotos:

Good work, God bless you for replacing the naira note..

People are really suffering oo.. can't his case be taken to any organisation in charge of child abuse or human rights activists?
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 10:23pm On Aug 11, 2015
ChubbyRomeo:
bro i will like to join you in the streets,,, how do i contact you?
Thehumansoflagos@gmaildotcom
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 10:23pm On Aug 11, 2015
Yesterday we shared the story of a boy who suffers physical abuse from his Uncle.
After his story was shared, many NGOs and individuals reached out and wanted to help him.
Today I went back to the place we met and was lucky to run into him, but again, he refused to accept our help, he still wants to stay with his Uncle.
He does not want anything that will take him back to the village and he is afraid if people intervene, it would only lead to his Uncle sending him back and he does not want to go back. I tried to make him understand he doesn't have to go back to the village and there are people willing to help him all the way but he still insisted.
He told me about other boys his Uncle brought to Lagos and even tho they suffered when they were with him, they've become rich now and that's what he wants. He believes his Uncle will change and he will just have to endure. I gave him my number and contacts of people to reach out to incase things get out of hand or he changes his mind. Wish there was more we can do.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Pukka36(f): 10:56pm On Aug 11, 2015
Hmmm,I just pray His Uncle eventually changes and also,I hope He'll be wise enough to contact U and reach out for help if He doesn't.

More grace Mr Tochiphotos,God bless U!

2 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by deegnity22: 10:30am On Aug 12, 2015
TochiPhotos:
"My classmates always look for my trouble and if I beat them they will report me to our Aunty(Teacher) and she will flog me even after I tell her I wasn't the one that started it, she will tell me I'm stubborn. I don't even like fighting but my classmates are the ones 'finding' my trouble all the time."

Hi Tochi, I'm an ardent follower of this thread, I must say you are a real inspiration. I'd just like to point out that I saw this particular image on the etisalat lagosphoto competition. My first thought was that the person stole the picture from HOL (or did you know about it), I'd just like to confirm if it's so. If it is, I think you should start putting your watermark on your images to avoid such. Thanks

1 Like

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Nobody: 2:09pm On Aug 12, 2015
deegnity22:

Hi Tochi, I'm an ardent follower of this thread, I must say you are a real inspiration. I'd just like to point out that I saw this particular image on the etisalat lagosphoto competition. My first thought was that the person stole the picture from HOL (or did you know about it), I'd just like to confirm if it's so. If it is, I think you should start putting your watermark on your images to avoid such. Thanks

Please Tochi say this was you. Or else it means them don dey thief your foto oh.
Mba
Please report and watermark your images everywhere. I mean everywhere!!
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Nobody: 2:12pm On Aug 12, 2015
I have been viewing this thread, liking and sharing every posts.

I must say nice job, Tochi. smiley
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Nobody: 2:13pm On Aug 12, 2015
TochiPhotos:
Yesterday we shared the story of a boy who suffers physical abuse from his Uncle.
After his story was shared, many NGOs and individuals reached out and wanted to help him.
Today I went back to the place we met and was lucky to run into him, but again, he refused to accept our help, he still wants to stay with his Uncle.
He does not want anything that will take him back to the village and he is afraid if people intervene, it would only lead to his Uncle sending him back and he does not want to go back. I tried to make him understand he doesn't have to go back to the village and there are people willing to help him all the way but he still insisted.
He told me about other boys his Uncle brought to Lagos and even tho they suffered when they were with him, they've become rich now and that's what he wants. He believes his Uncle will change and he will just have to endure. I gave him my number and contacts of people to reach out to incase things get out of hand or he changes his mind. Wish there was more we can do.

Slave trade in living colour just adding to chaos in Lagos.

The uncle is all he knows that's why he's afraid. Classic abuse.
Keep checking up on him periodically don't push for hin to leave his uncle anymore. When he's ready and he trusts you more he'll reach out to you.

He needs education and a vocation.
Lagos streets hawking us not the best place for any child.
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 11:46pm On Aug 12, 2015
deegnity22:

Thanks a lot bro. About this picture, there is a slight mix up somewhere. I tried to upload this picture to the people category of the competition but got an error message that my entry was not successful so I just forgot about the whole thing. Maybe it went through and they mixed it up with someone's or the reason mine failed to go through was because this person already used the same image.
Will send them an Email asap and let them know about this.
Thanks once again bro, I really appreciate that you took your time to notify me about this. Feels good to know that we always look out for our own.
salsera:

Please Tochi say this was you. Or else it means them don dey thief your foto oh.
Mba
Please report and watermark your images everywhere. I mean everywhere!!

Lol thanks Sis... I'm still trying to understand what happened. I think it was a slight mix up.
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 11:53pm On Aug 12, 2015
Pukka36:
Hmmm,I just pray His Uncle eventually changes and also,I hope He'll be wise enough to contact U and reach out for help if He doesn't.
More grace Mr Tochiphotos,God bless U!
I hope so too... He said I can always find him around that place in the evening so I'll keep checking on him from time to time.

FrancisTony:
I have been viewing this thread, liking and sharing every posts.

I must say nice job, Tochi. smiley
cheesy Thanks Tony.

1 Like

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by TochiPhotos(m): 11:53pm On Aug 12, 2015
"I finished primary school when I was 6 years old, I'm 10 now and I will enter SS1 when school resumes next month.
*HOL* how old were you when you entered primary school?
I was 3 but I was promoted many times.
*HOL* what do you want to be when you grow up?
I don't know yet."

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Nobody: 12:25am On Aug 13, 2015
TochiPhotos:
"I finished primary school when I was 6 years old, I'm 10 now and I will enter SS1 when school resumes next month.
I don't know yet."
I don't believe this story going by his outfit/dress. grin
Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by donsmall94(m): 7:00am On Aug 13, 2015
TochiPhotos:
I don't know yet."
Genius

FrancisTony:

I don't believe this story going by his outfit/dress. grin
No be by dressing bros.

5 Likes

Re: The Humans Of Lagos (Street Photography Project) by Originalsly: 7:16am On Aug 13, 2015
TochiPhotos:
The boy can't make that decision.... he is under the care of his uncle. If he goes off with the NGO or someone...then what when the uncle files a missing person report? From the above.....the boy will not leave. The uncle sold him a dream.... the boys before him are all rich now.... are you asking him to leave and not become rich? .... he needs to be first freed from mental slavery before he would be willing to leave his uncle.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (31) (Reply)

I Just Got A 3-Month Visa To Dubai, I Need Your Suggestions Please!!! / Lions Nap On Road In South Africa During Lockdown (Photos) / Beautiful Calabar In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.