Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,880 members, 7,806,531 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:56 PM

Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) As The New Information Minister - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) As The New Information Minister (10315 Views)

President Buhari To Drop Lai Mohammad As Information Minister - TheImpulseNG / I Use 5, Not 6 Vehicles In My Convoy – Information Minister / LIVE REPORT: Grand Requiem Mass For Prof. Dora Nkem Akunyili in Anambra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) As The New Information Minister by DExplorer1: 4:29pm On Dec 17, 2008
Really , I got this news about past 3 today and i was thinking why Information? Why not  Health Minister and whould she be able to be the "needed saviour" right about now. Though she has got lots of abilities but much more related to health not information. How far do you think she can go in this game.
Re: Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) As The New Information Minister by Moves: 4:36pm On Dec 17, 2008
Is this a confirmed news; if it so; the present FG has lost its marbles;;; Wont be surprised if this is a sponspored plot by importers to get her out nafdac, The Clear Indication would be Health Ministry; of Even Education; worst still EFCC
Re: Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) As The New Information Minister by azorjiu(m): 4:44pm On Dec 17, 2008
I have been checking nigeria dailies from work to see if they have published the portfolios as Reuters have done so.
If it's true Akunyili is now the information minister, poor nigeria! Why waste our human resources?

http://africa.reuters.com/country/NG/news/usnLH696724.html

Nigerian president appoints new cabinet ministers
Wed 17 Dec 2008, 14:27 GMT

[-] Text [+] (Adds byline, quote, background)

By Felix Onuah

ABUJA, Dec 17 (Reuters) - Nigerian President Umaru Yar'Adua on Wednesday swore in 16 cabinet ministers, including heads of energy and the Niger Delta, filling a political void that has hindered government projects in Africa's most populous nation.

Former OPEC Secretary-General Rilwanu Lukman was appointed senior energy minister in the world's eighth biggest oil exporter, a post the president had kept for himself during the first 19 months of his administration.

Odein Ajumogobia remains the junior petroleum minister for Africa's top oil producer, the presidency said.

The appointments, already approved by the Senate, come nearly two months after Yar'Adua fired 20 cabinet members to begin his long-awaited reshuffle.

The drawn-out reshuffle has heightened uncertainty for foreign investors and brought government business to a virtual standstill.

"In this period of stark economic realities at home and unprecedented global economic challenges, we all must begin to think out of the box," Yar'Adua told the new ministers after a swearing in ceremony.

Godswill Orubebe, previously the minister of special duties, was picked to head the newly created Niger Delta ministry.

He will be in charge of improving security in the oil-rich delta, the heartland of the country's oil and gas sector.

Attacks by militants and criminal gangs in the region have cut a fifth of Nigeria's oil output since early 2006. Piracy and kidnappings for ransom are also common. (For full Reuters Africa coverage and to have your say on the top issues, visit: http://africa.reuters.com/ ) (writing by Randy Fabi; editing by Andrew Roche)

© Reuters 2008. All Rights Reserved. | Learn more about Reuters
Re: Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) As The New Information Minister by jesuseun1(m): 4:49pm On Dec 17, 2008
i agree wit u moves,education or health would hav been the right portfolio for her,what will sombody like dora akunyili be doing in the ministry of information,just to inform the nation what the presidency and the executive are doing.i think the FG has miss it,what will just happen is that she will be frustrated out of the ministry like they did for okonjo and ezekwesili ,until world bank hijack okonjo  and put her where she belong.i forsee the same thing happening to akunyili,she might resign and at the end of the day ,a body like WHO will give her appointment.sombody like akunyili need a place where she will naturally perform and take actions that will stop some bad vices.

it is well o ,my ppple.
Re: Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) As The New Information Minister by jesuseun1(m): 5:00pm On Dec 17, 2008
its a pity,our president got it wrong again,he did d same thing at efcc and now its NAFDAC, round peg in the square hole.i believe one of the ability of a leader is to recognize pple with proven records in a particular field and fix them in a related areas with a more challenging task ,like NAFDAC TO HEALTH OR EDUCATION ,where she need to display her strong discipline character she is known for.a portfolio like information ,a fresh graduate can perform very well in that office,d person just need to speak to good english and compose himself well.

i believe bad advisers who are against akunyili crusade fight fake drug must have advise Mr president wrongly,

it is well o,my pple,lets keep on praying for Nigeria,we should not be discourage ooo.
Re: Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) As The New Information Minister by earTHMama: 5:10pm On Dec 17, 2008
What a waste? Why are we allowing quotasystem to destroy Nigeria?. I don't even think she needs to be a minister because so far, she is doing a good job in her portfolio. Why recycle her to where she will not be relevant.

Am i surprised, Nigeria being a male dominated society will come up with such plan to stop her because they are afraid of her new found international recognition which may threaten their govt in due course.
Re: Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) As The New Information Minister by Kobojunkie: 5:13pm On Dec 17, 2008
What Qualifies her for Education Or even Health? I am not exactly sure why she was picked for Communication and information (I think it is definitely a bad move) but I don't see why she should be removed from where she is now.
Re: Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) As The New Information Minister by goodass(m): 5:15pm On Dec 17, 2008
i'll b surprised if FG gets it ryt in anyth at all
Re: Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) As The New Information Minister by romeo(m): 5:22pm On Dec 17, 2008
Kobojunkie:

What Qualifies her for Education Or even Health ?

Did you just ask that question? LMAO!! Please tell us what qualifies one to head those ministries!!
Re: Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) As The New Information Minister by earTHMama: 5:27pm On Dec 17, 2008
What Qualifies her for Education Or even Health ?

She has a bachelors degree in pharmacy and a doctorate degree in pharmacology in UK. What else do you need?
Re: Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) As The New Information Minister by ChiefS(m): 5:38pm On Dec 17, 2008
This is worst government in the history of this country.I doubt if Akunyili will resign.She is now a politician.Don't expect much from her.
Re: Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) As The New Information Minister by noetic(m): 5:49pm On Dec 17, 2008
This is a very unfortunate appointment.

The apparent aim of this appointment is to use her hard earned credibility and nation wide acceptability to enable yaradua spread his propagandas,including
y he has refused to declare an emergency in d power sector i still dont know wat that will achieve
the new found zeal to rob the country blind and paralyse the efcc
and the new acceleration towards economic downturn and incessant underdevelopment.

I hope she has the wisdom to reject the posting and request for either education or health, where she can possibly make an effective difference. an alternative is to resign and not tarnish her image.

but in a nation where people are celebrated for the wrong reasons, i dont c her towing the path of honour.
Re: Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) As The New Information Minister by ScanLess: 6:18pm On Dec 17, 2008
so up till now you guys have not learnt the language of the abuja tribe, moving Dora from NAFDAC to information is simply saying she has been dumped, in a glorified manner . thats what Obj did to Ngozi Okonjo Iweala
Re: Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) As The New Information Minister by bluehorizo(m): 6:23pm On Dec 17, 2008
Yar'adua id sick! I expect Dora to turn down this appointment with effect. Now Health sector have to follow the way of EFCC. Mourning for this great country.
Re: Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) As The New Information Minister by scottN(m): 6:25pm On Dec 17, 2008
They have finally succeeded in going back to their old corrupt ways; 1st it was Waziri for Ribadu, then Dora. Now I ask myself this question what are the likes of Iwu still doing there?
Re: Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) As The New Information Minister by jesuseun1(m): 6:34pm On Dec 17, 2008
i foresee her resigning.i learnt efot ekeate and former kebbi governor has been given a ministerial portfolio,what are they coming back to look for in govt,are there no capable hands again.

mr president need to go abroad and shop for Nigerians doin great work all over d world.obasanjo did dat and he discover pple like okonjo,ezekwesili and others.He need to do that too.or better still he can do thru his ambassadors to reach out to exceptional Nigerians abroad to come back home wit a promise to give them appointments. instead of recying old wagons.

it is well oooooooooooo.
Re: Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) As The New Information Minister by Naijex: 6:39pm On Dec 17, 2008
What a waste of human resources
Re: Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) As The New Information Minister by scottN(m): 6:48pm On Dec 17, 2008
jesu seun:

i foresee her resigning.i learnt efot ekeate and former kebbi governor has been given a ministerial portfolio,what are they coming back to look for in govt,are there no capable hands again.

mr president need to go abroad and shop for Nigerians doin great work all over d world.obasanjo did that and he discover people like okonjo,ezekwesili and others.He need to do that too.or better still he can do through his ambassadors to reach out to exceptional Nigerians abroad to come back home wit a promise to give them appointments. instead of recying old wagons.

it is well oooooooooooo.
With the likes of Dora on ground, do we really need 2 shop abroad for her contemporary? Anyway asides from FG politics I think the brouhaha btw the Doctors and Pharmacist's bodies in this country also contributed to this scenario. But b that as it may She should still hv been left alone at the helms of NAFDAC. It's a pity!
Re: Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) As The New Information Minister by BecomeRich: 8:24pm On Dec 17, 2008
stop it. what as she done.  she was crying to get the post.  there are still fake drug everywhere in nigeria. she was just a person that would anything to be in the news. even when the story was not true. she is a backslide born again ,   

she does have a good command of english. she speak like an igbo woman. you need someone like nwoke,  with international exposure,  someone with exposure,  in international media, funmi iyanda would have been better a minister of information,
Re: Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) As The New Information Minister by cescky(m): 9:21pm On Dec 17, 2008
@becomerich
make some sense please angry angry

@post
in directly yaraDULL, is beginning to show his true self(after the supreme court validated his fraudulent election)
the man has lost it if he ever had it, (its obvious he doesnt have any thing good to offer this nation)
remeber a few days ago his house boy i meant his vice (jonathan) came out to praise iwu on the the election conducted(God help us)

imagine afterall ribadu did, hez being hunted by the federal govt aka yaradua, aka pdp.

imagine making sam egwu education minister
bringing back acchike udenwa as minister  lipsrsealed
making dora information minister(2 thins are at play here its either yaradua wants to frustrate her out of government service or his lost some grey matter)
personnally i think hes lost some grey matter and this nation is doomed
Re: Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) As The New Information Minister by Baro(m): 9:38pm On Dec 17, 2008
Dora Akunyili is Minister of Information and Communication, so much emphasis is being laid on information. Methinks she can apply her "Nafdac spirit" in the communication sector, so its not a complete waste of human resources afterall.

I congratulate her and her colleagues and wish them goodluck cool
Re: Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) As The New Information Minister by cescky(m): 9:52pm On Dec 17, 2008
Baro:

Dora Akunyili is Minister of Information and Communication, so much emphasis is being laid on information. Methinks she can apply her "Nafdac spirit" in the communication sector, so its not a complete waste of human resources afterall.

I congratulate her and her colleagues and wish them goodluck cool

W T  lipsrsealed IS U talking about? shocked  wont u rather see her nafdac spirit being implemented in the health sector , education or some thing more sensitive?

mr man go and acquire a little knowledge , biko!!!

@post
am sure with this her new post 2 things are bound to happen
1 she resigns or
2 she will be a clog in the wheel of our evil and decpetive president yaraDULL
Re: Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) As The New Information Minister by RibaduFan(m): 10:01pm On Dec 17, 2008
This simply stupid.

This is indicative of the fact the current gvt is not sincere in its fight against corruption.

They've put her in a place where she won't disturb anybody's flow of national cake. It is pathetic. Left to me, she shd reject the offer.

Can't the president see thru the schemes of his advisers or is he deliberately turning a blind eye on all these.
Re: Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) As The New Information Minister by diggler(m): 10:05pm On Dec 17, 2008
@ScanLess has said it all.

Akunyili is being given the flip side of the Ribadu treatment.

I cried, Laughed, froze up & went berserk all at the same time when i heard of  the ministerial list.

We are reaping Obasanjo's punishment for foiling his 3rd term agenda.
Re: Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) As The New Information Minister by RibaduFan(m): 10:26pm On Dec 17, 2008
Nigeria needs prayers. The country has been hijacked by highway,
Re: Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) As The New Information Minister by bawomolo(m): 12:10am On Dec 18, 2008
i believe bola ige went from AG to minister of power during OBJ's rein. are nigerian minsters selected using a raffle draw
Re: Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) As The New Information Minister by Muza(m): 12:22am On Dec 18, 2008
bawomolo:

i believe bola ige went from AG to minister of power during OBJ's rein. are nigerian minsters selected using a raffle draw

cheesy grin cheesy grin RFLMFAO grin cheesy
yeah,it must be a raffle draw grin
Re: Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) As The New Information Minister by tboy1(m): 12:24am On Dec 18, 2008
bawomolo:

LOL . . . cheesy grin cheesy
with this new list, looks like it
Re: Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) As The New Information Minister by mustafar1: 2:48am On Dec 18, 2008
ini mini mani mo, dora akunyili goes to info ministry
ini mini mani mo, Mike Aondoakaa stays in justice
ini mini mani mo, Olasunkanmi to youth development

etc etc etc ati be be lo
Re: Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) As The New Information Minister by jamace(m): 3:39am On Dec 18, 2008
cryWhat an appointment for my action madam? Well, Akunyili is an action person by all standards. I see no reason why she should be politicised now. Note that "Great talkers and great doers are never friends". Oh my dear president, i would have appreciated madam being at the helm of affairs at the health ministry to sanitise the rot there. Hmnn,what else can i say but to give a vote of thanks to my madam for her rare gallantry at the NAFDAC. Madam, though i don't like this your appointment, i still believe in you. I am praying for you. Good luck sad.
Re: Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) As The New Information Minister by jesuseun1(m): 8:43am On Dec 18, 2008
LETS GIVE mr president the benefit of doubt.lets not be too pesimistic,he might have a reason 4 makin akunyili information minister.but i will still emphasise he need to invite Nigerians doing well abroad to come home instead of appointing politicians as ministers.infact the idea of changing ministers all the tyme,does not give room for continuity which will give birth to growth.

it is well o my pple.
Re: Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR) As The New Information Minister by victor2008(m): 8:47am On Dec 18, 2008
D adviser's 2d FG should advice d govt wisely so as 2move d country forward

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

APC Members Undermining My Administration-Abubakar / Christmas: Full Text Of Buhari’s Message To Nigerians / Osinbajo Inaugurates The National Council Of MSME (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.