Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,738 members, 7,806,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:17 AM

Albert Einstein's Answer On The Existence Of God - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Albert Einstein's Answer On The Existence Of God (2099 Views)

How Did Demons Come Into Existence? Who Created Them? / Atheists Come And See: The Most Powerful Argument For The Existence Of God / Do You Actually Believe In The Existence Of Witches And Wizards? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Albert Einstein's Answer On The Existence Of God by sweetguy10(m): 4:30pm On Jan 11, 2015
A college student wrote Einstein and asked him if he thinks there is a supreme being , after so many letters he was finally moved to reply the girl :

"Scientists believe that every occurrence, including the affairs of human beings, is due to the laws of nature. Therefore a scientist cannot be inclined to believe that the course of events can be influenced by prayer, that is, by a supernaturally manifested wish.

However, we must concede that our actual knowledge of these forces is imperfect, so that in the end the belief in the existence of a final, ultimate spirit rests on a kind of faith. Such belief remains widespread even with the current achievements in science.

But also, everyone who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that some spirit is manifest in the laws of the universe, one that is vastly superior to that of man. In this way the pursuit of science leads to a religious feeling of a special sort, which is surely quite different from the religiosity of someone more naive.

With cordial greetings,

your A. Einstein"
Re: Albert Einstein's Answer On The Existence Of God by Elegbede205(m): 4:40pm On Jan 11, 2015
His answer? *sips malt* Non of my business.

And hey thanks for that mass-energy conversion formula.
Re: Albert Einstein's Answer On The Existence Of God by davien(m): 5:43pm On Jan 11, 2015
sweetguy10:

A college student wrote Einstein and asked him if he thinks there is a supreme being , after so many letters he was finally moved to reply the girl :

"Scientists believe that every occurrence, including the affairs of human beings, is due to the laws of nature. Therefore a scientist cannot be inclined to believe that the course of events can be influenced by prayer, that is, by a supernaturally manifested wish.

However, we must concede that our actual knowledge of these forces is imperfect, so that in the end the belief in the existence of a final, ultimate spirit rests on a kind of faith. Such belief remains widespread even with the current achievements in science.

But also, everyone who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that some spirit is manifest in the laws of the universe, one that is vastly superior to that of man. In this way the pursuit of science leads to a religious feeling of a special sort, which is surely quite different from the religiosity of someone more naive.

With cordial greetings,

your A. Einstein"
http://www.lettersofnote.com/2012/05/dear-einstein-do-scientists-pray.html?m=1
It was actually about prayer,not belief in "god"

My dear Dr. Einstein,
We have brought up the question: Do scientists pray? in our Sunday
school class. It began by asking whether we could believe in both
science and religion. We are writing to scientists and other
important men, to try and have our own question answered.
We will feel greatly honored if you will answer our question: Do
scientists pray, and what do they pray for?
We are in the sixth grade, Miss Ellis's class.
Respectfully yours,
Phyllis
----------------------
January 24, 1936
Dear Phyllis,
I will attempt to reply to your question as simply as I can. Here is
my answer:
Scientists believe that every occurrence, including the affairs of
human beings, is due to the laws of nature. Therefore a scientist
cannot be inclined to believe that the course of events can be
influenced by prayer, that is, by a supernaturally manifested wish.

However, we must concede that our actual knowledge of these forces
is imperfect, so that in the end the belief in the existence of a final,
ultimate spirit rests on a kind of faith. Such belief remains
widespread even with the current achievements in science.
But also, everyone who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science
becomes convinced that some spirit is manifest in the laws of the
universe, one that is vastly superior to that of man. In this way the
pursuit of science leads to a religious feeling of a special sort, which
is surely quite different from the religiosity of someone more naive.

With cordial greetings,
your A. Einstein

A pantheistic feeling...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Albert Einstein's Answer On The Existence Of God by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jan 11, 2015
Why should I waste my time kneeling down and making noises to something or somebody who is not there? Religious people are pathetic though!

3 Likes

Re: Albert Einstein's Answer On The Existence Of God by davien(m): 6:19pm On Jan 11, 2015
all4naija:
Why should I waste my time kneeling down and making noises to something or somebody who is not there? Religious people are pathetic though!
They aren't entirely because they are as much a victim of the ideology,as they shove it on people...
I.e those who believe were also indoctrinated and are victims and culprits at the same time...
Re: Albert Einstein's Answer On The Existence Of God by plaetton: 6:50pm On Jan 11, 2015
There is hardly anyone who studies Biology, Chemistry , Physics, Astronomy etc, who does not , at one time or another, marvel at the grand tapestry of nature and the universe. In this way, every student of science experiences a religious or spiritual moment in their quest to unravel the mysteries of the universe.
But it is like a short growth phase for which the sooner the student grows out of it, the better and clearer his scientific persuits.

That we are convince ourselves that t there must be an invisible hand that arranged these electrons into these atoms does not in any way make it true.
A good student must separate facts from fantasies.

To conclude that nature is grand, therefore something grander must have designed it a lazy and premature conclusion that can be an impediment for the student while asking and exploring much tougher questions ahead.

If we pause to consider that what we know about the universe is still less than what we don't know about the universe, then reaching a premature conclusion is dangerous to the persuit of knowledge.
Therefore, we do not ever have to invoke god, or super spirit, or super mind to account for things that we are yet to explore or know.

The common saying is that god is beyond the reach or understanding of the scientific system.
This is bullshyte, and a grand copout, .. and of course, says much more about the mentality of the people who believe in god than whether god exists or not.

If through the rational process of scientific discovery( the same processes that we use in discovering everything we know so far) , we cannot see or define an invisible hand , then upon what do we base our belief in god?

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Albert Einstein's Answer On The Existence Of God by sweetguy10(m): 7:06pm On Jan 11, 2015
Davien , belief (in a supernatural being) begots prayer . Einstein did not deny the existence of that force .........." everyone who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that some spirit is manifest in the laws of the universe". He agreed that the belief in a supernatural being exists on "a kind of faith" and nailed it by saying that burrowing deep into science will give you that "religious feeling quite different from that of someone more naive ( who is not a experienced , informed,.....)

Note that he only differentiate the beliefs of a naive person from that of a scientist but it all came to that "religious feeling" conclusion that did not deny that existence of that supernatural "force"

Capisce ?

2 Likes

Re: Albert Einstein's Answer On The Existence Of God by sweetguy10(m): 7:11pm On Jan 11, 2015
Then it all depends on what you think the "Force" is . To the Christian it is a God , the Muslims , Buddhist and all other religions have their own definition of that "Force".

Biblical genesis told us about the creation of the earth and the scientists likened that "force" to the energy in an anti-matter - a force so strong it can wipe things off with no residues ( like total dosappearance )
Re: Albert Einstein's Answer On The Existence Of God by davien(m): 7:24pm On Jan 11, 2015
sweetguy10:
Davien , belief (in a supernatural being) begots prayer . Einstein did not deny the existence of that force .........." everyone who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that some spirit is manifest in the laws of the universe". He agreed that the belief in a supernatural being exists on "a kind of faith" and nailed it by saying that burrowing deep into science will give you that "religious feeling quite different from that of someone more naive ( who is not a experienced , informed,.....)

Note that he only differentiate the beliefs of a naive person from that of a scientist but it all came to that "religious feeling" conclusion that did not deny that existence of that supernatural "force"

Capisce ?
you christians like twisting terms "naive" means gullible and in case you didn't know einstein didn't believe in a "god" and he has long stated that the belief in such a "god" is childish
"The word god is for me nothing more
than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the
Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends
which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no
matter how subtle can (for me) change this."

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2008/may/12/peopleinscience.religion

1 Like

Re: Albert Einstein's Answer On The Existence Of God by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jan 11, 2015
davien:
They aren't entirely because they are as much a victim of the ideology,as they shove it on people...
I.e those who believe were also indoctrinated and are victims and culprits at the same time...
Many are just fanatics, even when you try to explain the reality of life to them they would want to prove they know better and have interacted with the supernatural God. That is the reason why I think they are miserable people.
Re: Albert Einstein's Answer On The Existence Of God by davien(m): 10:48pm On Jan 11, 2015
all4naija:
Many are just fanatics, even when you try to explain the reality of life to them they would want to prove they know better and have interacted with the supernatural God. That is the reason why I think they are miserable people.
Well I was once among that lot and its a pompous and emotionally rooted feeling....it felt humbling then but to review it now....I was pretty deluded,I even told an atheist that "god could regrow limbs"...
Re: Albert Einstein's Answer On The Existence Of God by wordcat(m): 11:48pm On Jan 11, 2015
davien:
you christians like twisting terms "naive" means gullible and in case you didn't know einstein doesn't believe in a "god" and he has long stated that the belief in such a "god" is childish
"The word god is for me nothing more
than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the
Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends
which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no
matter how subtle can (for me) change this."

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2008/may/12/peopleinscience.religion

You're too much my guy

U always know how to beat them in their own games.
I will neva regret knowing u.

1 Like

Re: Albert Einstein's Answer On The Existence Of God by davien(m): 12:05am On Jan 12, 2015
wordcat:

You're too much my guy

U always know how to beat them in their own games.
I will neva regret knowing u.
What if I turn into a christian theist tomorrow? grin
Re: Albert Einstein's Answer On The Existence Of God by wordcat(m): 12:21am On Jan 12, 2015
davien:
What if I turn into a christian theist tomorrow? grin

I've been questioning religion right from my primary school days when I don't even know that there's something called ATHEIST. So if u become a theist tomorrow like alfa stated on this forum sometime last year that he has seen the light, I won't be surprise. I will just conclude that some( physically) must be involve cos I know that what have been seen cannot be unseen.

Maybe, u want to make money from gullible Nigerians like Oyedepos and co.

1 Like

Re: Albert Einstein's Answer On The Existence Of God by wiegraf: 8:20am On Jan 12, 2015
op, stop f-ing lying. it doesn't help your cause; it only works on m.orons

unless, of course, your intention was to appeal to moro......

ah, my bahdt

1 Like

Re: Albert Einstein's Answer On The Existence Of God by sweetguy10(m): 7:56am On Jan 13, 2015
wiegraf:
op, stop f-ing lying. it doesn't help your cause; it only works on m.orons
unless, of course, your intention was to appeal to moro......
ah, my bahdt

What lies am i peddling here or is something wrong with your brain ?
Re: Albert Einstein's Answer On The Existence Of God by wiegraf: 11:47am On Jan 13, 2015
sweetguy10:

What lies am i peddling here or is something wrong with your brain ?

Err, I should be the one asking that, good ser. Even your first statement is a blatant lie;you say after so many letters when it was just the one. And the question wasn't even directly about god per say, as already pointed out, whilst his response certainly wasn't. It was about religiosity. You do realise believing in GOD!? is not a prerequisite to being religious, yes?

And all the talk of the man being moved; no. He was well-known for responding to just about as many letters as he could manage. He even replied a ten year old about her math skills! These exercises where more or less a hobby to him, just as it is to many introverts of his flavor. Though he could be garrulous with friends, he was not so much with strangers. In his ias days he was even notorious for claiming he had travelled in order to escape having to deal with visitors. Writing, on the other hand, he was prolific at. So again no, not necessarily moved like you imply, just a textbook response from him. One of myriad

Your whole tone, your ignoring context, twisting of events to make it look like he somehow identifies with your version of god, no doubt a personal sky daddy, is blatantly dubious. You even ignore his last statement where he makes it clear he speaks of religiosity. As already noted he found sky daddies childish, and that's just beginning. He's gone as far as saying people who break away from the shackles of personal gods are special. Implying, of course, he didn't think much of your ilk.

So yes, you are lying and twisting the mans words to fit your agenda. That's disgusting, bros, and desperate. Only ways you get a pass is if you were ignorant of these (and (mind, to a lesser degree) or you don't believe in personal gods. Otherwise, well, its all been said

1 Like

Re: Albert Einstein's Answer On The Existence Of God by lastmessenger: 3:09pm On Jan 13, 2015
A Close observation shows that people want to hold on to what they want to hold on to.
To some God exist and they an give a thousand reasons and to some others there is no God.
But the mistake that some have made is the belief that what they know is better than what others know. This has made them see others as fools when in reality you can't say with certainty that you are not the real fool.
Don't ask me what I mean. You can ask me if God exist or not.
Re: Albert Einstein's Answer On The Existence Of God by davien(m): 4:20pm On Jan 13, 2015
lastmessenger:
A Close observation shows that people want to hold on to what they want to hold on to.
To some God exist and they an give a thousand reasons and to some others there is no God.
But the mistake that some have made is the belief that what they know is better than what others know. This has made them see others as fools when in reality you can't say with certainty that you are not the real fool.
Don't ask me what I mean. You can ask me if God exist or not.
Did you realise that he lied in the op...
For a christian to bear false witness(violate his 9th commandment), just to make it seem like einstein believed in his idea of "god"
Re: Albert Einstein's Answer On The Existence Of God by DieeDiee: 4:43pm On Jan 13, 2015
davien:
Did you realise that he lied in the op...
For a christian to bear false witness(violate his 9th commandment), just to make it seem like einstein believed in his idea of "god"

It was probably unintentional. Christians tend parrot what their pastor/brother/sister in the faith said. Often what they are parroting is faulty but they don't realise it because they are just looking for ways to confirm their beliefs no matter how absurd or faulty.
Re: Albert Einstein's Answer On The Existence Of God by davien(m): 4:47pm On Jan 13, 2015
DieeDiee:

It was probably unintentional. Christians tend parrot what their pastor/brother/sister in the faith said. Often what they are parroting is faulty but they don't realise it because they are just looking for ways to confirm their beliefs no matter how absurd or faulty.
I initially thought he was mistaken but he tried to formulate things to account for it by changing what "naive" meant...

(1) (Reply)

Survey: Do You Believe In Evolution Or Creationism? Why? / Breaking: COZA Pastor, Biodun Fatoyinbo Steps Down / Why Steve Wonder Is Still Blind

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.