Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,867 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:15 AM

Flight Boarding: Need Help As A First Time Traveller. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Flight Boarding: Need Help As A First Time Traveller. (3652 Views)

Kaduna State Launches Traveller Information Website – Travelthrukaduna / Woman Dies In A Kano Park While Boarding Bus To Katsina State. Graphic Photos / Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Flight Boarding: Need Help As A First Time Traveller. by kinfuny3: 2:27pm On Jan 12, 2015
I need advice on d process of boarding in the airport.
Question: do i really need the help of my travel agent to go through the bording process. Bc he told me i need him to see me tru d process which i think he is looking for another way to exploit me.
Any1 here who has travelled once/frequent should let me know if i really need his service to pass tru d boarding process. Ur comments n advice is wholly welcomed.
Re: Flight Boarding: Need Help As A First Time Traveller. by Nobody: 2:32pm On Jan 12, 2015
So long you have your valid visa and passport i don't think you will require your agent's assistance at the airport. There should be people at the airport who are paid to assist you with checking in and boarding the flight.

1 Like

Re: Flight Boarding: Need Help As A First Time Traveller. by kinfuny3: 2:55pm On Jan 12, 2015
Ok, he was mentioning about problem with immigration officers. dat they might want to prey on me bc i am a first timer
Re: Flight Boarding: Need Help As A First Time Traveller. by zeezahbee(f): 3:05pm On Jan 12, 2015
kinfuny3:
Ok, he was mentioning about problem with immigration officers. dat they might want to prey on me bc i am a first timer
He's a freaking liar. Don't pay any agent any money ok. Good luck , you will land safe jawe
Re: Flight Boarding: Need Help As A First Time Traveller. by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jan 12, 2015
kinfuny3:
Your agent is just looking for a way to squeeze more money out of you
Re: Flight Boarding: Need Help As A First Time Traveller. by kinfuny3: 3:46pm On Jan 12, 2015
Thanks to u all. I so much appreciate ur effort
Re: Flight Boarding: Need Help As A First Time Traveller. by nannymcphee(f): 7:54am On Jan 13, 2015
Just a piece of advice

during take off or landing, If you are experiencing pains in your ear, kindly do ANY of the following

1.pinch your nose(block ur nostrils) & blow out breath with ur mouth closed:this is known as Valsalva maneuver
2. chew gum
3. Swallow your saliva repeatedly

If you are with a child or toddler, give them gum to chew or a sucker to suck.

When my plane was descending, my ears almost popped out, I didn't know any of the above then, I firmly closed my ears all to no avail
Re: Flight Boarding: Need Help As A First Time Traveller. by jukeblam(m): 11:43am On Jan 13, 2015
As per immigration/customs, you need to get to the airport on time for check-in; cos if you are running late they can attempt to whip up a random scam- any thing can come out of those guys mouth. Have enough time on your hands so you can't be threatened with a flight miss.

Never give anyone of them money even if you're migrating never to come back; take the leftover naira in your pocket with you and remember naija with it wink

Also, if you are making use of a hotel reservation, ensure your check-in date(for the hotel) is same as your arrival date at your destination. Someone once got scammed because his hotel reservation started a day after his arrival. In short, don't give them any loophole to harass you.

And no, you don't need your agent. He has made enough money off you already.

1 Like

Re: Flight Boarding: Need Help As A First Time Traveller. by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jan 13, 2015
jukeblam:
As per immigration/customs, you need to get to the airport on time for check-in; cos if you are running late they can attempt to whip up a random scam- any thing can come out of those guys mouth. Have enough time on your hands so you can't be threatened with a flight miss.

Never give anyone of them money even if you're migrating never to come back; take the leftover naira in your pocket with you and remember naija with it wink

Also, if you are making use of a hotel reservation, ensure your check-in date(for the hotel) is same as your arrival date at your destination. Someone once got scammed because his hotel reservation started a day after his arrival. In short, don't give them any loophole to harass you.

And no, you don't need your agent. He has made enough money off you already.

What about for those migrating legally i.e have residency....any tips or potential 'scams' customs/immigration officials might spring up?
Re: Flight Boarding: Need Help As A First Time Traveller. by justi4jesu(f): 1:00pm On Jan 13, 2015
bossladyMo:

What about for those migrating legally i.e have residency....any tips or potential 'scams' customs/immigration officials might spring up?

No cause for alarm with residency, when they see it, they will cross you over sharply, you don't need to should them any hotel booking/reservation,it only applies to those going with tourist/visit visa......The only words you might hear are Madam/Oga find us something or do New year for us, don't buy their bullshit, just bone up and get your passport stamped. datz it.

1 Like

Re: Flight Boarding: Need Help As A First Time Traveller. by jukeblam(m): 1:08pm On Jan 13, 2015
bossladyMo:

For migrants, I think they give themselves brain; but nevertheless, have all relevant docs handy. However, they go pray for you tire....make offering fit drop grin grin

For any traveller too, don't bother carrying foodstuffs you are unsure of; and don't let anybody offer to sell you ghana-must-go to put your foodstuffs separately grin Na higher purchase....lolz

1 Like

Re: Flight Boarding: Need Help As A First Time Traveller. by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jan 13, 2015
jukeblam:

For migrants, I think they give themselves brain; but nevertheless, have all relevant docs handy. However, they go pray for you tire....make offering fit drop grin grin

For any traveller too, don't bother carrying foodstuffs you are unsure of; and don't let anybody offer to sell you ghana-must-go to put your foodstuffs separately grin Na higher purchase....lolz

Cool!

Who checks the visa? The airline or customs/immigration?

To pack foodstuffs or not to pack foodstuffs as a migrant...which would you advise?
Re: Flight Boarding: Need Help As A First Time Traveller. by jukeblam(m): 6:34pm On Jan 13, 2015
bossladyMo:

Cool!

Who checks the visa? The airline or customs/immigration?

To pack foodstuffs or not to pack foodstuffs as a migrant...which would you advise?

Airline & Immigration for sure.

Left to me, if I am migrating, no time to pack foodstuff. I mean, when your nigerian stock finishes, won't you adapt to what the country offers as food?!
However, most people still do and will continue to.

My advice would be to check the country's prohibited items on their immigration website, so you don't buy stuff only to get them thrashed at your destination; worse still, pay a fine ontop. Try to pack only what is not identified as prohibited.

FYI, Oz has very strict border control. Very.

1 Like

Re: Flight Boarding: Need Help As A First Time Traveller. by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jan 13, 2015
jukeblam:

Airline & Immigration for sure.

Left to me, if I am migrating, no time to pack foodstuff. I mean, when your nigerian stock finishes, won't you adapt to what the country offers as food?!
However, most people still do and will continue to.

My advice would be to check the country's prohibited items on their immigration website, so you don't buy stuff only to get them thrashed at your destination; worse still, pay a fine ontop. Try to pack only what is not identified as prohibited.

FYI, Oz has very strict border control. Very.

Yeaaa....I watch a lot on Border Security.
Re: Flight Boarding: Need Help As A First Time Traveller. by dechandel(f): 2:56pm On Jan 14, 2015
Errmm
When departing from Nigeria,The pests at the airport will always ask for tips. Even when you tell them you've changed your naira,they will ask for the changed currency grin

Bottomline;Tell them you've got nothing or some other time undecided
Re: Flight Boarding: Need Help As A First Time Traveller. by 3rdeye1(m): 12:26am On Jan 15, 2015
Please does anyone have an idea of dubai ticket... Atleast three.. So I can compare , thanks! And please what if u have no hotel reservation I.e hooking up with a family member or friend.. Wat problem is likely to come up with NIS dudes.. Tnx!
Re: Flight Boarding: Need Help As A First Time Traveller. by hopy68(m): 12:39am On Jan 15, 2015
Got my invitation letter from my bro @ Brazil pls help on how to get the Brazilian visa at the embassy successfully
Re: Flight Boarding: Need Help As A First Time Traveller. by Nobody: 4:35am On Jan 15, 2015
kinfuny3:
I need advice on d process of boarding in the airport.
Question: do i really need the help of my travel agent to go through the bording process. Bc he told me i need him to see me tru d process which i think he is looking for another way to exploit me.
Any1 here who has travelled once/frequent should let me know if i really need his service to pass tru d boarding process. Ur comments n advice is wholly welcomed.

When you get to the departure lounge of the airport, go to your airline stand, t'will be visibly written, search for the queue to your destination (shouldn't be that difficult either) to get your boarding pass. Your luggages would be weighed at this point and if you have to pay for extra luggage, now is the time. I think some officers in Nigeria also check at this point undecided, after you get your boarding pass, proceed to immigration and customs- your hand luggage will be ransacked, same as you! Try and make sure you abide by the rules (no sharps, no liquids except in ziplocs-even though I think Naija is strictly no liquid etc). They'll try to tell you all sorts of nonsense about how you should drop something, that is strictly left to how you wanna handle it! You abaolutely need no agent for nothing! Not even booking a flight cool

Just use your brain and be smart, had my first lone trip @ 16 and I was just fine! Most airports have more than enough guide here and there, you just need to be smart enough!

Have a safe trip! smiley

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Admission Into North America University Cotonou / Travel To Babardos / Which Bus Company Is The Best From Lagos To Abuja?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.