Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,585 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:48 PM

Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp (3671 Views)

Staying on my job or Further Training? / Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) / Msc After Service Or Medicine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp by xtrix: 7:43pm On Jan 13, 2015
I am bsc graduate from babcock uni, currently enrolled acca, in my stage 2 tho.. I'm having second thought on doing masters in University of Kent or essex in United Kingdom but my friends advised me to get experience first before going for masters, although there is no time already cuz I'm doing my youth corp programme and what is the probability I'm going to secure a job if i'm through wit nysc, my first discipline is banking and finance. I want to do my masters in finance, investment and Risk management because that opens doors to become an investment banker, dat was what i have always dreamed bout since my teenage age and with what i heard, i m going to get a CISI when I'm through with msc. My friend that just got back got a job offer from one of the banks in Nigeria for 700k monthly and to me its really high but most people said dat is so low with his grades and his qualification.

Also want to be an accountant as a side job.. smiley

Please advise me on what to do and what doors do MSC open and University of kent ranked 22 in UK
Re: Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp by kilokeys(m): 7:56pm On Jan 13, 2015
u speak in Pounds and u expect advice from Nairaland?

u hv got it figured out.. so why ask?

1 Like

Re: Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp by dhameelolar(m): 9:36pm On Jan 13, 2015
What stage in acca is stage 2, do u mean the skills module
Re: Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp by Nobody: 9:46pm On Jan 13, 2015
kilokeys:
u speak in Pounds and u expect advice from Nairaland?

u hv got it figured out.. so why ask?

Stop Hating grin grin

As for you MR OP grin grin grin

I will let my Boss and Boss Ladies to come and give their advice(s).
But OP, when I grow up, I will want to be like you grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp by dhameelolar(m): 10:03pm On Jan 13, 2015
xtrix:
I am bsc graduate from babcock uni, currently enrolled acca, in my stage 2 tho.. I'm having second thought on doing masters in University of Kent in United Kingdom but my friends advised me to get experience first before going for masters, although there is no time already cuz I'm doing my youth corp programme and what is the probability I'm going to secure a job if i'm through wit nysc, my first discipline is banking and finance. I want to do my masters in finance, investment and Risk management because that opens doors to become an investment banker, dat was what i have always dreamed bout since my teenage age and with what i heard, i m going to get a CISI when I'm through with msc. My friend that just got back got a job offer from one of the banks in Nigeria for 700k monthly and to me its really high but most people said dat is so low with his grades and his qualification.
Also want to be a n accountant as a side job.. smiley

Instead of going through CISI I would advice you go for the tougher exam CFA
Please advise me on what to do?
Re: Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp by xtrix: 11:24pm On Jan 13, 2015
dhameelolar:
What stage in acca is stage 2, do u mean the skills module

yh i am in stage 2, doing self study & receiving lectures from open tuition and have videos of london business school, don't have time to attend lessons although most people say it makes things easier
Re: Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp by xtrix: 11:26pm On Jan 13, 2015
taiwolusol:

Stop Hating grin grin

As for you MR OP grin grin grin

I will let my Boss and Boss Ladies to come and give their advice(s).
But OP, when I grow up, I will want to be like you grin grin

Thanks very much, hard work pays may be not now but in d future yh

Just try and work to achieve your goals and put God first in all u do
Re: Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp by xtrix: 11:35pm On Jan 13, 2015
[quote author=dhameelolar post=29768825][/quote]

University of Kent told me, on completion of the masters programme, i'm given the CISI certificate along with the masters certificate. CFA can also be taken there and i get exempted on so many papers, age is ONE important factor,i dey old as days go by, i want to return to work & get experience. I'm 22 and be done with nysc @ 23 and masters @ 24. So i'm counting down slowly to the 26 yrs age limit Nigerian coys want. i neva wan be lecturer so early. grin . i can take CFA anytime
Re: Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp by dhameelolar(m): 1:51am On Jan 14, 2015
xtrix:

University of Kent told me, on completion of the masters programme, i'm given the CISI certificate along with the masters certificate. CFA can also be taken there and i get exempted on so many papers, age is ONE important factor,i dey old as days go by, i want to return to work & get experience. I'm 22 and be done with nysc @ 23 and masters @ 24. So i'm counting down slowly to the 26 yrs age limit Nigerian coys want. i neva wan be lecturer so early. grin . i can take CFA anytime

Lol....there's no exemption in CFA oo, if u hv ACCA it doesn't matter, you'll do level 1-3, I finished nysc @ 22, by the grace of God I should write my final acca papers this year, if you have a study center it makes learning easier
Re: Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp by tanimola22: 1:58pm On Jan 14, 2015
xtrix:
I am bsc graduate from babcock uni, currently enrolled acca, in my stage 2 tho.. I'm having second thought on doing masters in University of Kent in United Kingdom but my friends advised me to get experience first before going for masters, although there is no time already cuz I'm doing my youth corp programme and what is the probability I'm going to secure a job if i'm through wit nysc, my first discipline is banking and finance. I want to do my masters in finance, investment and Risk management because that opens doors to become an investment banker, dat was what i have always dreamed bout since my teenage age and with what i heard, i m going to get a CISI when I'm through with msc. My friend that just got back got a job offer from one of the banks in Nigeria for 700k monthly and to me its really high but most people said dat is so low with his grades and his qualification.

Also want to be an accountant as a side job.. smiley

Please advise me on what to do and what doors do MSC open and University of kent ranked 22 in UK

Hello, thank you for your question and congrats on your achievement thus far. First, no first or second degree course will guarantee you a career in investment banking. Investment banks value diversity and all courses are welcome. The employee body in investment banks is well diverse, with people from Arts, Social Sciences, Business, Biological Sciences and Physical Sciences well represented. In fact, in some instances, people with previous training in the Medical or Biological Sciences are better preferred because they have insight into technical things that other people will take years to acquire. Sure, this will sound strange to you, but that is the way it is. Notwithstanding, a degree in Finance, Economics, Business, etc will always be relevant in the financial services industry.

To your question, not sure where you want to work in investment banking, whether in Nigeria or the UK. I will assume it's in the UK and proceed with my take on your issue. If in Nigeria, let me know so that I can provide you a view on how the industry works in Nigeria. Meanwhile, have you ever done an internship at a firm within the financial services industry? If yes, then I would say take the offer from Kent. If you do take the offer from Kent, you will then have to familiarize yourself with investment banking hiring rules/strategies for interns and graduates since this is the industry you want to be. But do note that hundreds or thousands of other young people in the UK are looking for the same opportunities in the UK, so this is the area where your previous internship may serve to distinguish you. Apart from an MBA from a celebrated business school, investment banks very much value previous internships in the financial services industry and actually have an unspoken bias for internships or graduate programmes applicants who have had some sort of professional exposure to the world of financial services.

If you've never had an internship or experience in the financial services industry, then my take is that you should try and work your service to one of the small or big investment banks/asset management firms in Nigeria. There are many of them in Lagos and Abuja. If you do this and succeed, you can get the required experience and then come to the UK. The advice in the preceding paragraph follows. There are many organizations that support young women who want to enter investment banking in the UK, especially when these women know some things about the industry. Organizations like SEO, winning women and others love to support brilliant, young and ambitious ladies who seek a career in investment banking.

If you don't get to intern in the industry by the end of your service year, then my advice will be a little different. Particularly, if you fail to work your service to a place within the industry where you can intern, then I would spend the service year contacting all the investment banks, asset management, venture capital and private equity firms in Nigeria. I would also spend my time gathering names of people from Linkedin and sending them messages and even cold calling them and visiting them at their offices to ask that they help me get either a graduate role or an internship with a suitable department in their financial services firms. I would also be searching for every possible firm that hire fresh graduates within the industry. They exist, but you need to search vigorously for them.. I would do all these throughout my service year and throughout the following year after service year, just so I would know that I have exhausted my options. If I get a suitable role, I would do it for some time before going abroad for studies..But this time, my destination may be Kent or a much more renowned school - think in the top 10 globally.

However, if after doing all these things you still can't get a suitable role that will provide you some experience, but you are still interested in investment banking, then wear your coat of faith and go and study at Kent. Just as you are beginning your programme, start connecting with organizations such as SEO, winning women and many others and start applying to the banks you want to work for. Don't wait till when you are almost finishing your studies. Most UK banks accept applications in August, September. In fact, you can start applying from Nigeria, while using the address of where you will be resident in the UK as your place of contact. Things may just work out well for you, having faith produces results. This is a time tested statement. Meanwhile, add some relevant professional exams to your to-do list and do these exams. Kent graduates only get some exemptions from actuarial professional exams, not CFA or ACCA

I wish you the best, but make sure you remain focused on your goal whichever decision you decide to make.

Good luck wink

T22

3 Likes

Re: Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp by xtrix: 8:59pm On Jan 14, 2015
tanimola22:

Hello, thank you for your question and congrats on your achievement thus far. First, no first or second degree course will guarantee you a career in investment banking. Investment banks value diversity and all courses are welcome. The employee body in investment banks is well diverse, with people from Arts, Social Sciences, Business, Biological Sciences and Physical Sciences well represented. In fact, in some instances, people with previous training in the Medical or Biological Sciences are better preferred because they have insight into technical things that other people will take years to acquire. Sure, this will sound strange to you, but that is the way it is. Notwithstanding, a degree in Finance, Economics, Business, etc will always be relevant in the financial services industry.

To your question, not sure where you want to work in investment banking, whether in Nigeria or the UK. I will assume it's in the UK and proceed with my take on your issue. If in Nigeria, let me know so that I can provide you a view on how the industry works in Nigeria. Meanwhile, have you ever done an internship at a firm within the financial services industry? If yes, then I would say take the offer from Kent. If you do take the offer from Kent, you will then have to familiarize yourself with investment banking hiring rules/strategies for interns and graduates since this is the industry you want to be. But do note that hundreds or thousands of other young people in the UK are looking for the same opportunities in the UK, so this is the area where your previous internship may serve to distinguish you. Apart from an MBA from a celebrated business school, investment banks very much value previous internships in the financial services industry and actually have an unspoken bias for internships or graduate programmes applicants who have had some sort of professional exposure to the world of financial services.

If you've never had an internship or experience in the financial services industry, then my take is that you should try and work your service to one of the small or big investment banks/asset management firms in Nigeria. There are many of them in Lagos and Abuja. If you do this and succeed, you can get the required experience and then come to the UK. The advice in the preceding paragraph follows. There are many organizations that support young women who want to enter investment banking in the UK, especially when these women know some things about the industry. Organizations like SEO, winning women and others love to support brilliant, young and ambitious ladies who seek a career in investment banking.

If you don't get to intern in the industry by the end of your service year, then my advice will be a little different. Particularly, if you fail to work your service to a place within the industry where you can intern, then I would spend the service year contacting all the investment banks, asset management, venture capital and private equity firms in Nigeria. I would also spend my time gathering names of people from Linkedin and sending them messages and even cold calling them and visiting them at their offices to ask that they help me get either a graduate role or an internship with a suitable department in their financial services firms. I would also be searching for every possible firm that hire fresh graduates within the industry. They exist, but you need to search vigorously for them.. I would do all these throughout my service year and throughout the following year after service year, just so I would know that I have exhausted my options. If I get a suitable role, I would do it for some time before going abroad for studies..But this time, my destination may be Kent or a much more renowned school - think in the top 10 globally.

However, if after doing all these things you still can't get a suitable role that will provide you some experience, but you are still interested in investment banking, then wear your coat of faith and go and study at Kent. Just as you are beginning your programme, start connecting with organizations such as SEO, winning women and many others and start applying to the banks you want to work for. Don't wait till when you are almost finishing your studies. Most UK banks accept applications in August, September. In fact, you can start applying from Nigeria, while using the address of where you will be resident in the UK as your place of contact. Things may just work out well for you, having faith produces results. This is a time tested statement. Meanwhile, add some relevant professional exams to your to-do list and do these exams. Kent graduates only get some exemptions from actuarial professional exams, not CFA or ACCA

I wish you the best, but make sure you remain focused on your goal whichever decision you decide to make.

Good luck wink

T22

Thanks very much for the best reasonable advice i have gotten on this forum
In service year in Nigeria, its only local govt, schools or parents coys they post youth corpers to and it really frustrating bcuz i can't get to practice what i learnt in university

i guess i would have to go with the third paragraph but it really difficult getting all those links, guess i would sign up on linkeldn and try and make some prospective friends who can be of benefit to me through that site

Pls do u know anywebsite i can see investment banks in Nigeria, i don't care relocating out of my comfort city to another city just to gain d experience.

Thank u & God bless u. Hoping to hear from people like u on this thread
Re: Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp by tanimola22: 12:12pm On Jan 15, 2015
xtrix:

Thanks very much for the best reasonable advice i have gotten on this forum
In service year in Nigeria, its only local govt, schools or parents coys they post youth corpers to and it really frustrating bcuz i can't get to practice what i learnt in university

i guess i would have to go with the third paragraph but it really difficult getting all those links, guess i would sign up on linkeldn and try and make some prospective friends who can be of benefit to me through that site

Pls do u know anywebsite i can see investment banks in Nigeria, i don't care relocating out of my comfort city to another city just to gain d experience.

Thank u & God bless u. Hoping to hear from people like u on this thread

Cool.

Start from here, http://jobtipsng..co.uk/2014/10/top-20-investment-banks-in-nigeria.html. Then go here, http://www.nigeriagalleria.com/Banking_and_Finance/Investment_Houses_Asset_Managers.html

Search for their HR managers or someone on Linkedin, go to their websites or visit them, anyone you want. I know people who have gotten jobs in the industry using one of these methods.

T22
Re: Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp by Mayosky15754: 8:09pm On Jan 15, 2015
tanimola22:

Cool.

Start from here, http://jobtipsng..co.uk/2014/10/top-20-investment-banks-in-nigeria.html. Then go here, http://www.nigeriagalleria.com/Banking_and_Finance/Investment_Houses_Asset_Managers.html

Search for their HR managers or someone on Linkedin, go to their websites or visit them, anyone you want. I know people who have gotten jobs in the industry using one of these methods.

T22

tanimola22:

Cool.

T22

[url][/url]

Permit me to ask this question, how do you tend to visit them without them asking you to come around. One cannot easily visit them without an invite due to the tight security at the entrance of virtually all the multinational coys.
Re: Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp by xtrix: 8:58pm On Jan 15, 2015
Mayosky15754:
[url][/url]

Permit me to ask this question, how do you tend to visit them without them asking you to come around. One cannot easily visit them without an invite due to the tight security at the entrance of virtually all the multinational coys.

it better to try and be rejected than not to try at all and then assume... Sometimes we just need to try, try and try and God helps and crown our effort

1 Like

Re: Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp by xtrix: 9:02pm On Jan 15, 2015
tanimola22:

Cool.

T22

Tanks for helping me out, signed up on linkedin, would try my best to connect with them... I know people have gotten jobs like dat, it jst about determination & God's intervention.
God bless u
Re: Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp by ednut1(m): 9:57pm On Jan 15, 2015
Which bank pays 700k for entry Story. If u lik hv all qualifications. U must pass test nd interviews or else nting for u unless u hv connect. For entry level bsc msc acca ican cfa dey d same level. In my training skul der were many Uk masters, cfa,ican bsc. Dey got der by passing test nd interview. Lots of pple who hv uk/usa masters still dey hustle job wit ordinary 9ja Bsc. Dos qualifications will only help u wen u hv experience nd u will be promoted easily. I passed ican thru self study nd cramming. Dat does nt make me a good accountant tho. Be wise bro grin

1 Like

Re: Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp by tanimola22: 10:15pm On Jan 15, 2015
ednut1:
Which bank pays 700k for entry Story. If u lik hv all qualifications. U must pass test nd interviews or else nting for u unless u hv connect. For entry level bsc msc acca ican cfa dey d same level. In my training skul der were many Uk masters, cfa,ican bsc. Dey got der by passing test nd interview. Lots of pple who hv uk/usa masters still dey hustle job wit ordinary 9ja Bsc. Dos qualifications will only help u wen u hv experience nd u will be promoted easily. I passed ican thru self study nd cramming. Dat does nt make me a good accountant tho. Be wise bro grin

Hi bro, let's not restrict possibilities. It could be an investment bank in Naija, the person might have come with some years of quality experience from the UK, the person might promised the bank a deal worth billions and asked to be paid that much before they bring in the deals..There are many combinations of events. He friend might well be someone with some experience even in Naija before heading to UK. Not sure if the OP mentioned her friend is entry level.

Between, congrats on your ICAN. People are still getting great jobs with that.

T22

1 Like

Re: Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp by tanimola22: 10:18pm On Jan 15, 2015
xtrix:

Tanks for helping me out, signed up on linkedin, would try my best to connect with them... I know people have gotten jobs like dat, it jst about determination & God's intervention.
God bless u

Amen, thanks. Yes, you've to be determined. Fortunately (or unfortunately sef smiley), many people love to favour determined ladies who are brilliant. Don't forget to package very well your CV.
Re: Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp by tanimola22: 10:26pm On Jan 15, 2015
Mayosky15754:
[url][/url]

Hi, good question.

Most banks in the investment banking industry in Naija are not multinational, yet many of them pay good salaries. At least a 24 year old girl (with only a BSc) earning 5.5 per annum is not doing badly by naija standards.

So you can very easily visit them using the strategy I highlighted above. In most cases, no such tight security exists, even at the heavy weights Rencap, FBN Capital and Stanbic. In fact, I recently pushed someone to implement this strategy. The guy just showed from no where and said he wanted to see the HR manager of a certain firm in the industry...Long story short, the guy has been interviewed and asked to resume. Someone had just resigned at about the time the guy went to see the lady. See what we call divine intersection..Haha. The guy stopped the lady from advertising the vacancy..He simply presented himself.

A caveat though, the guy has experience for the job..But he didn't wait to be invited by the HR..In fact, they might not have invited him because he is a 2:2/third class/pass degree holder - I don't want to be specific. My full respect to the guy.
Re: Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp by ednut1(m): 10:27pm On Jan 15, 2015
tanimola22:

Hi bro, let's not restrict possibilities. It could be an investment bank in Naija, the person might have come with some years of quality experience from the UK, the person might promised the bank a deal worth billions and asked to be paid that much before they bring in the deals..There are many combinations of events. He friend might well be someone with some experience even in Naija before heading to UK. Not sure if the OP mentioned her friend is entry level.

T22
forget ican in entry level, i wrote tests nd interview for all d big 4 audit firms. Was nt chosen. Only those who performed well in d interviews got in. No regard was given to qualifications o
Re: Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp by tanimola22: 10:32pm On Jan 15, 2015
ednut1:
forget ican in entry level, i wrote tests nd interview for all d big 4 audit firms. Was nt chosen. Only those who performed well in d interviews got in. No regard was given to qualifications o

So it's bad congratulating you on your ICAN and trying to make you feel a sense of accomplishment to urge you on. Nice.
Re: Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp by ednut1(m): 10:46pm On Jan 15, 2015
tanimola22:

So it's bad congratulating you on your ICAN and trying to make you feel a sense of accomplishment to urge you on. Nice.
grin nt like dat bros
Re: Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp by xtrix: 4:18am On Jan 16, 2015
tanimola22:

Hi, good question.

Most banks in the investment banking industry in Naija are not multinational, yet many of them pay good salaries. At least a 24 year old girl (with only a BSc) earning 5.5 per annum is not doing badly by naija standards.

So you can very easily visit them using the strategy I highlighted above. In most cases, no such tight security exists, even at the heavy weights Rencap, FBN Capital and Stanbic. In fact, I recently pushed someone to implement this strategy. The guy just showed from no where and said he wanted to see the HR manager of a certain firm in the industry...Long story short, the guy has been interviewed and asked to resume. Someone had just resigned at about the time the guy went to see the lady. See what we call divine intersection..Haha. The guy stopped the lady from advertising the vacancy..He simply presented himself.

A caveat though, the guy has experience for the job..But he didn't wait to be invited by the HR..In fact, they might not have invited him because he is a 2:2/third class/pass degree holder - I don't want to be specific. My full respect to the guy.

dats a good start, she's doing so well
tanimola22:

T22

he had experience in nigeria for a year and experience in uk for a year also before he chose to come back
Re: Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp by xtrix: 4:21am On Jan 16, 2015
ednut1:

whao dats so nice.. congrats once more, ur Ican would take u places. my bruv acca kinda hard, guess u just have to know it, i don't think anyone can cram and pass like dat
Re: Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp by ednut1(m): 5:30am On Jan 16, 2015
xtrix:

whao dats so nice.. congrats once more, ur Ican would take u places. my bruv acca kinda hard, guess u just have to know it, i don't think anyone can cram and pass like dat
its good to do ur masters nd oda exams tho. Bt at entry level ur d same wit bsc. Nd like i said u must pass test. Nd forget rank of university. Was once like u sha. 'Hv 2.1 hv ican i wud be hotcake' but no be so. U wud be suprised d number of peeps wit masters from top 15 uk skuls nd still hustling for job grin

1 Like

Re: Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp by Nobody: 7:25am On Jan 16, 2015
ednut1:
its good to do ur masters nd oda exams tho. Bt at entry level ur d same wit bsc. Nd like i said u must pass test. Nd forget rank of university. Was once like u sha. 'Hv 2.1 hv ican i wud be hotcake' but no be so. U wud be suprised d number of peeps wit masters from top 15 uk skuls nd still hustling for job grin

I dont grab u sir .
Do u mean dat if u av 2.1 and ican , u are better off anyone dat has Masters
Re: Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp by xtrix: 7:27am On Jan 16, 2015
ednut1:

omg, dat so deep bt with masters or professional exams when its time for promotion, u would be ontop of d list.. hence i googled some investment firms, i would check them out today to see if i can get a placement with them for at least a year, don't want pay just experience. then i can go for masters when done
Re: Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp by xtrix: 7:34am On Jan 16, 2015
Goodboy2012:

I dont grab u sir .

he meant @ entry level when u all are taking aptitude test, they don't value all those degrees, it only comes handy & useful when its time for promotion.
this another factor because when u ave bsc accounting and do masters in accounting without belonging to any known professional body, dat masters is as good as just having a Bsc only, u need belong to a professional body
Re: Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp by ednut1(m): 8:26am On Jan 16, 2015
Goodboy2012:

I dont grab u sir .
what i was trying to say was dat. if u like have all dose qualifications at entry level . ur d same wit some 1 wit only bsc. u must pass test nd d series of interviews. or else ntin for u . note- dats by applyin thru official channels nt thru connection or recommendation
Re: Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp by Nobody: 8:27am On Jan 16, 2015
ednut1:
what i was trying to say was dat. if u like have all dose qualifications at entry level . ur d same wit some 1 wit only bsc. u must pass test nd d series of interviews. or else ntin for u . note- dats by applyin thru official channels nt thru connection or recommendation

Okay .... thanks bro
Re: Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp by Nobody: 8:28am On Jan 16, 2015
xtrix:

he meant @ entry level when u all are taking aptitude test, they don't value all those degrees, it only comes handy & useful when its time for promotion.
this another factor because when u ave bsc accounting and do masters in accounting without belonging to any known professional body, dat masters is as good as just having a Bsc only, u need belong to a professional body

THANKs ....
Re: Look For Job Or Get A Msc After Youth Corp by tanimola22: 10:42am On Jan 16, 2015
xtrix:

omg, dat so deep bt with masters or professional exams when its time for promotion, u would be ontop of d list.. hence i googled some investment firms, i would check them out today to see if i can get a placement with them for at least a year, don't want pay just experience. then i can go for masters when done

Your strategy is good. You've to be careful what you hear. What is obtainable in Nigeria's investment banks is not exactly same as what you find in other places. If you were talking about big 4 or commercial banks, then that could be a whole different dynamics altogether. I particularly know people - my former students and others, who got entry level accounting jobs KPMG, PWc etc, with BSc. However, for investment banks, things are rapidly changing in the industry as of recently and we are talking about investment banks here.

At entry level, someone with a BSc + Master's and or no professional qualifications is much more likely to get an interview, and hence a job, than someone with a BSc alone. This is a recent development due to the massive growth of second degree/professional degree holders in Nigeria. The paper qualification standards are now high and these companies now have the power to cherry pick. This is not the same when the BSc holder has some nice experience. You've to know specific things about any industry you are considering and try to speak with people who are in that industry.

I got my first job in the industry in 2008 and I must confess that if it was now, I might not have gotten a chance..Because there are now equally smart people or even better, much younger than I was, who not only have a combination of CFA and ICAN/ACCA, but also a foreign master's degree. Things have changed in the industry! I usually stylishly tell people who entered the industry many years ago to always count their blessings. It is much competitive now, but it is still very possible. Don't worry, things will work out for you..

When you're ready, do me an email. Some people 'may' be happy to hire any smart person who wants to work for free, to gather some experience.

T22.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Differences Between Pyramid Schemes & Referral Or Network Marketing Or MLM / Diary Of An SAP Implementation Team Member / Career Prospects Of An Hnd Mechanical Engineering Graduate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.