Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,875 members, 7,802,810 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:18 PM

80-year-old Retired Principal Wins $326 Million (N62bn) Lotto Jackpot - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / 80-year-old Retired Principal Wins $326 Million (N62bn) Lotto Jackpot (1611 Views)

80-year-old Grandma Asks Her Granddaughter For A Makeup, Went Viral(unbelievable / Olamide Wants A Collabo With Retired Eldee; Gets An Epic Response From Him / Sweet Death; 76-yr-old Retired School Principal Dies On Top 18-yr-old Girl (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

80-year-old Retired Principal Wins $326 Million (N62bn) Lotto Jackpot by jideflash(m): 12:18am On Jan 14, 2015
A New York couple who spent a combined 75 years as educators were announced today as the winners of a $326 million Mega Millions jackpot, the largest in New York Lottery history.

Harold Diamond, 80, of Wurtsboro, and his wife, Carol, accepted a $130,676,438 check – the amount the couple received after taxes and a lump-sum payment – at the same Valero gas station in Middletown, New York, where Diamond purchased the ticket in November.

“My wife and I were driving to Middletown for dinner after voting on Election Day but the weather made us rethink our plans,” Diamond, a school principal who retired in 1995, said in a statement released by lottery officials.

“My wife insisted we stop here to eat and wait for the weather to clear, and I reluctantly agreed,” he said of Carol, a 36-year teaching veteran who retired in 1994.

While the couple ate at a Subway shop inside the service station, Diamond says he saw the Mega Millions jackpot signs and decided to buy decided to buy 10 sets of Quick Pick numbers for $10.

That $10 would turn the Diamonds into multimillionaires, but Diamond says he did not realize it until he was out golfing the next day with friends.

“I put the ticket in my wallet and forgot about it,” he said. “I went to play golf the next day and the guys in the clubhouse were talking about the jackpot-winning ticket someone bought at a Valero on Route 302 and I thought, wait a minute – I bought a ticket there last night!”

When Diamond saw the six winning numbers matched the second set of Quick Pick numbers on his ticket, he went into a “real daze.”

“I was in a dither,” Diamond told lottery officials.

The Diamonds’ decision to take their money in a one-time, lump sum amount means they are now trying to figure out what to do with $130 million.

“I simply can’t envision that kind of money,” he said. “It’s very hard to fathom. We feel very blessed.”

Diamond, who has two adult sons with Carol, told lottery officials his first plans are giving to family and "giving back to the community."

https://gma.yahoo.com/80-old-retired-york-principal-wins-326-million-172230307--abc-news-personal-finance.html

Re: 80-year-old Retired Principal Wins $326 Million (N62bn) Lotto Jackpot by braine(m): 12:20am On Jan 14, 2015
Whao! shocked The way nature works is just funny.
Re: 80-year-old Retired Principal Wins $326 Million (N62bn) Lotto Jackpot by teemanbastos(m): 12:30am On Jan 14, 2015
chai.... Thunder file ill luck.
Re: 80-year-old Retired Principal Wins $326 Million (N62bn) Lotto Jackpot by jideflash(m): 3:43pm On Jan 23, 2015
chei, why not my papa grin
Re: 80-year-old Retired Principal Wins $326 Million (N62bn) Lotto Jackpot by tellwisdom: 6:00pm On Jan 23, 2015
jideflash:
chei, why not my papa grin

Ur papa dey U.S??

1 Like

Re: 80-year-old Retired Principal Wins $326 Million (N62bn) Lotto Jackpot by Airforce1(m): 6:03pm On Jan 23, 2015
80yrs old already

Wetin remain?
Re: 80-year-old Retired Principal Wins $326 Million (N62bn) Lotto Jackpot by dapsoneh: 11:21pm On Jan 23, 2015
Well, d man doesn't look 80. And d woman doesnt look 36.
Re: 80-year-old Retired Principal Wins $326 Million (N62bn) Lotto Jackpot by jideflash(m): 8:32pm On Jan 25, 2015
36 years of teaching
dapsoneh:
Well, d man doesn't look 80. And d woman doesnt look 36.

(1) (Reply)

Neighbour Takes Woman To Court For Having Sex Soo Loudly / It Took Caitlyn Jenner 6 Surgeries And $70k To Get New Look-surgeon / Power Bank Sets Owner On Fire (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.