Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,380 members, 7,808,353 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:45 AM

The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) (70219 Views)

Rio2016 Olympics: Nigeria Vs Germany - 0 - 2 On 19th August 2016 / The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 – 99) / The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 – 99) [see Photo] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by slimpoppa(m): 12:51am On Jan 15, 2015
lie of the century.
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Nobody: 12:51am On Jan 15, 2015
ednut1:
the same way black man will neva win Olympics swimming, or white man bcom usian bolt. indians Pakistani dnt know how to play soccer. they r very good in cricket
haaaa!!!!......so u no dey watch indian premier league......dey sabi play well well sef
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by adewasco2k(m): 12:53am On Jan 15, 2015
@OP go and sit down somewhere... That match happened.....I watch am sef
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by emiye(m): 12:54am On Jan 15, 2015
Many Nigerians have been "indoctrinated" with the fiction for so long a time at a tender age that they probably still believe the fable at old age.
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Nobody: 12:54am On Jan 15, 2015
smartfellow2080:
Virtually everybody born before the invention of the internet must have heard the tale of a nonexistent football match between Nigeria and India grin that obviously took place in a parallel universe and somehow we got to hear the gory stories of that match.

Though there are many variations of the story, every prevaricator seems to agree on a couple of facts about this fictional football match. Each storyteller agrees that;

1. This match ended with India scoring 99 goals and Nigeria scoring just one goal.

2. Nigerians where unable to kick the ball because the football kept turning to a lion (or something scary) to prevent them from playing the soccer ball.

3. The Indians later agreed that if Nigeria could score a goal, they would concede defeat

4. Samuel Okwaraji scored the winning goal and lost his life in the process.

5. FIFA banned India from soccer because they used black magic in that very game

With the help of common sense (not that it was absent back then), quick access to information and the internet, every right thinking Nigerian has come to realise that such a story should be filled under “Blatant Lies”.

Why Did This Story Thrive For So Long?

Most people like to pass off this story as true with the fact that no one has ever seen India in an International Football Match. Since no one actually saw India participate in most international soccer games, this gave a little credence to the story.

Another reason this lie could thrive for long was the fact that credible information was not readily available at our finger tips. It not like every Emeka, Audu and Ojo could visit Google in a matter of minutes and tell our ominous fabricators that they should stop spreading toxic lies.

And to be honest we have a tingling feeling that this lie was concocted by an elder of a community because, let’s be honest who questions the words of the elders in Nigeria. Remember, what an adult sees sitting down a child will never see even if he consults Google, Siri or Cortana.

The Element of Truth In This Story

On the 12th of August 1989, Nigeria lost Sam Okwaraji.

Sam Okwaraji was the player rumored to have lost his life in that game when in truth he died during a FIFA World Cup qualifying game against Angola in the 77th minute.

He collapsed and died of cognitive heart failure. May his soul rest in Perfect Peace. AMEN

So that is the only truthful thing about that story, the fact that a Nigerian player died during a football match. That’s it. The match was not against India, we did not lose the match and as you must have guessed, and there were no lions either.

Nairlanders, what do you think?

The story was making rounds before Sam Okwaraji died , the Okwaraji angle was added after he died. Even as a kid I knew it was false just like the Thunder Balogun story as well
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Nobody: 12:55am On Jan 15, 2015
cbrass:

Mr lecturer am all ears undecided
u are ryt nw....am talkin to d pesiin u corrected
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Nobody: 12:56am On Jan 15, 2015
neoapocalypse:

The story was making rounds before Sam Okwaraji died , the Okwaraji angle was added after he died. Even as a kid I knew it was false just like the Thunder Balogun story as well
tell me thunder balogun own nah
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by cbrass(m): 12:59am On Jan 15, 2015
duduhemit36:

abi oo....wat if i tell nairalanders that justin bieber is going to be 59years this year will any of u blive....d evidence was once on Google (link)nd youtube.bt today u cant find a single one.....one of the reasons i dnt trust google.....thank GOD i have d video......

Can you send me the video?
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Nobody: 12:59am On Jan 15, 2015
Oh my, I jst dey laff my belle 4 here, even heard the ball turned in2 stone that the nigerian players couldn't kick it. Hyperboles upon hyperboles kilode, nigerian's and the way they can exaggerate tinz ehn, naso dem say na wen okparaji wan kick the ball d tin turn stone, say as hin kick am naso hin slump. Even dey hear say the ball dey turn to lion say keeper dey run 4rm the ball lol.
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by cbrass(m): 12:59am On Jan 15, 2015
duduhemit36:

u are ryt nw....am talkin to d pesiin u corrected

Ok
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Nobody: 1:00am On Jan 15, 2015
cbrass:

Can you send me the video?
am still planin on destroyin it $10million worth......so i cant am sori
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by cbrass(m): 1:01am On Jan 15, 2015
adewasco2k:
@OP go and sit down somewhere... That match happened.....I watch am sef

Bro like seriously? wink
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by cbrass(m): 1:02am On Jan 15, 2015
duduhemit36:
am still planin on destroyin it $10million worth......so i cant am sori

Why destroy it
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Adiwana: 1:04am On Jan 15, 2015
Yea,some folktales...actually India do not not participate in int.Games cos fifa banned them cos they no wan use shoe play ball
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Nobody: 1:05am On Jan 15, 2015
cbrass:

Why destroy it

at his comand.....if he will pay me $10million....if nt it will resurface....after i sell it #10 to bloggers website owners nd youtube channels
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by That9jaVine(m): 1:10am On Jan 15, 2015
Thx for the clarification jare
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Nobody: 1:14am On Jan 15, 2015
duduhemit36:

at his comand.....if he will pay me $10million....if nt it will resurface....after i sell it #10 to bloggers website owners nd youtube channels
U mean the video I just downloaded now?
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Nobody: 1:15am On Jan 15, 2015
prettyboi1989:

U mean the video I just downloaded now?
wait are u kidding me or wat
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by kccarew(f): 1:17am On Jan 15, 2015
I love history, although am no historian.. So pls search more on that, will carry out my own too, and my parents told me the exart story you told
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Nobody: 1:20am On Jan 15, 2015
duduhemit36:
wait are u kidding me or wat
Kidding u? Lemme tell u d tail part of d vid, he was singing without his mask on. B4 den they showd a 9 yrold girl talkn bout bein asked by beiber to pee on her. Internet is free man.
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by bokohalal(m): 1:26am On Jan 15, 2015
Even sef, it wasn't just from football that they banned India. During the 1940 Olympic games, in the midst of WW2, one Indian High Jumper jumped so high that they are still waiting for him to come down.

1 Like

Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by talktofemi: 1:28am On Jan 15, 2015
HzRF:

Lolz... Finish the story. . This fiction is captivating ah swear

He has already finish the story na.

Check the last statements.

Smh for present day Nigerian youths. Literary reasoning has been lost. When they no dey read.

1 Like

Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by HzRF(m): 1:40am On Jan 15, 2015
talktofemi:

He has already finish the story na.

Check the last statements.

Smh for present day Nigerian youths. Literary reasoning has been lost. When they no dey read.
That's. Only 1st half
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by GSKing: 1:48am On Jan 15, 2015
[size=22pt] Supa Strikers FC. I recognize all those names. LOL [/size]
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by heffem(m): 1:51am On Jan 15, 2015
99 goals in 90minutes.....that alone would tell U̶̲̥̅̊ it never happened. Naija mentality, ȋ̝̊̅ hail o
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by Donmichaelz(m): 2:00am On Jan 15, 2015
I go still tell my kids anyways..... all I know na 99-1,d story is more realistic than GEJ. government...

1 Like

Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by teeghurl(f): 2:01am On Jan 15, 2015
Nexxy007:
i have always wondered why India has never participated in any football tournament though
because FIFA can't afford d Indian to sing and dance for 2hrs if they eventually score a goal grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by teeghurl(f): 2:03am On Jan 15, 2015
bokohalal:
Even sef, it wasn't just from football that they banned India. During the 1940 Olympic games, in the midst of WW2, one Indian High Jumper jumped so high that they are still waiting for him to come down.
hahahahaa
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by olutunde12(m): 2:18am On Jan 15, 2015
30secs:
Nothing una talk fit convince me. That match happen live! Even my grandpapa confirm am.

o se. The Op never said the truth promised by the topic. what happened?
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by kobonaire(m): 2:31am On Jan 15, 2015
duduhemit36:

abi oo....wat if i tell nairalanders that justin bieber is going to be 59years this year will any of u blive....d evidence was once on Google (link)nd youtube.bt today u cant find a single one.....one of the reasons i dnt trust google.....thank GOD i have d video......
it is possible .... the same way obafemi martins is 29 years old but running like an old man grin
Re: The Truth About The Early 1900s Nigeria Vs India Match (1 - 99)!!! (photo) by USDRONE(m): 2:33am On Jan 15, 2015
eyesofgod:
This story predates Okwaraji era. The tale has it that the match was between Green Eagles of Odegbami, Chukwu, Okpala era. Okpala, as the goalkeeper, was always seeing seven balls whenever an India player shot at goal hence the high score.
Another fairy tale involves India absence from athletics at the Olympics. It was said that their feet never touch the ground while doing the track events. Also, another tale claims the javeline thrown by the Indian athlete in one of the Olympics in the 70's is yet to be found

Don't mind the OP, you are the real old man here. The OP is only a small boy, the tale has nothing to do with Sam Okparaji (May his gentle soul rest in peace) I am sure the OP came to this world after the death of Sam Okparaji, What a small boy he is.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Anthony Joshua Loses to Andy Ruiz Jr. Knocked Out In The 7th Round (Pics) / How To Predict And Win Virtual Football League (vfl) / U-17 Eaglets To Receive 20k Each (pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.