Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,863 members, 7,806,441 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:38 PM

Amnesty International Releases Satellite Images Of Boko Haram Wreckage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amnesty International Releases Satellite Images Of Boko Haram Wreckage (33603 Views)

Amnesty International Releases More Report Against Nigeria / Satellite Images Of The Bombing Of Rann IDP Camp / Dasuki Releases Images Of Sophisticated Weapons Acquired Under Jonathan [PHOTOS] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Amnesty International Releases Satellite Images Of Boko Haram Wreckage by Jidefido(m): 5:32am On Jan 15, 2015
Shocking satellite images of destroyed towns and razed houses have confirmed eyewitness accounts that Boko Haram slaughtered hundreds of people this month in its worst-ever massacre in Nigeria, human rights groups say.

The wave of savage attacks continued relentlessly for several days after Boko Haram captured the Baga military base on Jan. 3. The Nigerian military has insisted that only 150 people died, including militants, but the newly released satellite images suggest a far more horrifying toll.

Satellite pictures obtained by Amnesty International show the towns of Baga and Doron Baga on January 2 – before the attack – and five days later, 3700 structures have been damaged or destroyed.
According to Daniel Eyre, researcher for Amnesty International, who has spent the last week compiling eye-witness accounts, gunmen went house to house, pulling people out and shooting them. Residents of the town fled into the bush, but Boko Haram men were waiting for them there, hiding in the trees, and shooting anyone who passed.

Eye-witnesses talk of hundreds of bodies in the streets, but they were fleeing too fast to stop and count. Government officials at first were silent and then came out with contradictory numbers.

“But it’s important to note that Boko Haram kill all civilians, not just the militia,” he said.

Alexis Okeowo, one of the best and bravest journalists in Nigeria, has also reflected on the impossibility of getting reliable death tolls from a place where journalists risk being killed or kidnapped

She is, however, sure that this situation is not inevitable.

‘The sad fact is that Boko Haram could have been defeated by now, by a more competent and more determined Nigerian government,’ she writes.

The images show more than 3,700 damaged or destroyed houses in just two of the estimated 16 towns and fishing villages that the Islamist extremist militia attacked around Baga in northeastern Nigeria on the shores of Lake Chad, according to Amnesty International, one of the groups that released the satellite images.

See more details http://www.theheraldng.com/amnesty-international-releases-satellite-images-boko-haram-wreckage/

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Amnesty International Releases Satellite Images Of Boko Haram Wreckage by PassingShot(m): 5:36am On Jan 15, 2015
We don't yet have a C-in-C in Nigeria. What we have now is a Comedian in Chief.

Not until that changes, we will not have peace in NE as well as Nigeria as a whole.

The Nigerian Army (and GEJ of course) have failed to protect the integrity and sovereignty of the country. This is enough reason for GEJ to be kicked out for if he is not sent home, we all might as well be in the same shoe as the NE/NW in the next one year.

In GMB I trust to end this terrorism.

124 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Amnesty International Releases Satellite Images Of Boko Haram Wreckage by temitemi1(m): 5:42am On Jan 15, 2015
Sitting down in d comfort of their offices n giving us lies... I can only believe only the news comin out from d trouble zones n nt from some paid international body!!! Dem for cover the whOle nation wit blood na!! God bless Nigeria!!!

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Amnesty International Releases Satellite Images Of Boko Haram Wreckage by Jidefido(m): 5:47am On Jan 15, 2015
PassingShot:
We don't yet have a C-in-C in Nigeria. What we have now is a Comedian in Chief.

Not until that changes we will have peace in NE as well as Nigeria as a whole.

your presido is of the belief that by not talking about it, it will be swept under the carpet. he condoled with France over 17 deaths, though unfortunate but here with tens of thousands gone, nothing to say rather he is accusing MEND of planning to assasinate him, Buhari should showhis certificates. what a shame

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Amnesty International Releases Satellite Images Of Boko Haram Wreckage by PassingShot(m): 6:02am On Jan 15, 2015
Jidefido:

your presido is of the belief that by not talking about it, it will be swept under the carpet. he condoled with France over 17 deaths, though unfortunate but here with tens of thousands gone, nothing to say rather he is accusing MEND of planning to assasinate him, Buhari should showhis certificates. what a shame

You are as confused as your post!

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Amnesty International Releases Satellite Images Of Boko Haram Wreckage by Disclaimer: 6:05am On Jan 15, 2015
Anyone who thinks fighting boko harm is easy should forward march to sambisa forest. Ask US how long it took to reduce al queeda to it present state, yet just yesterday same group claim responsibility of France attack. E-warriors, save yourselves of needless talk, go try your skills in sambisa forest.

I salute your courage mr president.

Ride on GEJ

37 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Releases Satellite Images Of Boko Haram Wreckage by CyberWolf: 6:10am On Jan 15, 2015
To hell with them..

3 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Releases Satellite Images Of Boko Haram Wreckage by seunlayi(m): 6:10am On Jan 15, 2015

Oga Amnesty, can't you use this tech to search and locate BH bases or the whereabout of the Chibok girls?

77 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amnesty International Releases Satellite Images Of Boko Haram Wreckage by ba7man(m): 6:10am On Jan 15, 2015
PassingShot:

You are the confused one.

Highlight any lie he has told if you aren't.

I dare you to.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amnesty International Releases Satellite Images Of Boko Haram Wreckage by ba7man(m): 6:13am On Jan 15, 2015
Disclaimer:
Anyone who thinks fighting boko harm is easy should forward march to sambisa forest.
That will be far easier if they have Billions of Dollars at their disposal and they command the Army, Navy, Airforce and countless Para-millitary outfits.

But GEJ has all this but more concerned about deploying them for elections.

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amnesty International Releases Satellite Images Of Boko Haram Wreckage by Nobody: 6:17am On Jan 15, 2015
very confused fellow!!!
Re: Amnesty International Releases Satellite Images Of Boko Haram Wreckage by menesheh(m): 6:19am On Jan 15, 2015
Destroying the economy of already vulnerable north.

God come to the help of this desert people which they know not themselves

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amnesty International Releases Satellite Images Of Boko Haram Wreckage by fitzmayowa: 6:21am On Jan 15, 2015
The satellite does not show anything, or maybe the OP didn't post the actual picture, but if indeed this is the picture amnesty can come up with then am disappointed...

The picture is more like someone drawing with red paint...IMO

18 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Releases Satellite Images Of Boko Haram Wreckage by Jidefido(m): 6:21am On Jan 15, 2015
ba7man:

I dare you to.

God bless you bruv! i just cant see myself replyin him. he is the confused one actually. souls are lost daily and we are not doing anything about it. Nigerians are not known to be this callous without any human feelings. we have taken deaths especially gruesome deaths as way of life. we dont regard human life as it should be regarded normally. God help us.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amnesty International Releases Satellite Images Of Boko Haram Wreckage by ba7man(m): 6:24am On Jan 15, 2015
Jidefido:

God bless you bruv! i just cant see myself replyin him. he is the confused one actually. souls are lost daily and we are not doing anything about it. Nigerians are not known to be this callous without any human feelings. we have taken deaths especially gruesome deaths as way of life. we dont regard human life as it should be regarded normally. God help us.
They are as daft as they come.

The truth stares them in the eyes and they still can't recognize it.

That's another reason I'll vote against GEJ. So that he'll take his clueless followers with him.

26 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Releases Satellite Images Of Boko Haram Wreckage by Jidefido(m): 6:25am On Jan 15, 2015
fitzmayowa:
The satellite does not show anything, or maybe the OP didn't post the actual picture, but if indeed this is the picture amnesty can come up with then am disappointed...

The picture is more like someone drawing with red paint...IMO

I get your point! the pix is confusing but i suggest you click on the link and see more pixs. i believe you will understand better. the red patches show before and the black patches show the burnt places and people. couldnt upload all the pixs. sorry about that pls

2 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Releases Satellite Images Of Boko Haram Wreckage by Nobody: 6:28am On Jan 15, 2015
PassingShot:

he is neutral

2 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Releases Satellite Images Of Boko Haram Wreckage by Jidefido(m): 6:28am On Jan 15, 2015
ba7man:

That's another reason I'll vote against GEJ. So that he'll take his clueless followers with him.

its a shame unto us cos he is our leader and we voted him in. he is a reflection of the people he leads. so we are all clueless so to say. if the head is rotten, then the whole body is finished too. sadly it applies to us and we have the opportunity to 'right' the 'wrongs'. i am so saddened at these deaths. just imagine he military telling us just 150 deaths. are the dead chickens that they are just 150. God save us

9 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Releases Satellite Images Of Boko Haram Wreckage by thewarrior72: 6:31am On Jan 15, 2015
Jidefido:

Hey are u under the influence of alcohol while writing this jargon kiss

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amnesty International Releases Satellite Images Of Boko Haram Wreckage by PassingShot(m): 6:31am On Jan 15, 2015
ba7man:

I dare you to.

Do you GEJites know more than Mr. Clueless on this matter? Should you even know half of what he knows?

That is the lie I highlight.

1 Like

Re: Amnesty International Releases Satellite Images Of Boko Haram Wreckage by Nobody: 6:31am On Jan 15, 2015
ba7man:

if you don't politicize this issue will you die? you think terrorism ends by electing different president? ask somalia, iraq, afghan etc how many president they have elected

8 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Releases Satellite Images Of Boko Haram Wreckage by ba7man(m): 6:32am On Jan 15, 2015
Jidefido:

its a shame unto us cos he is our leader and we voted him in. he is a reflection of the people he leads. so we are all clueless so to say. if the head is rotten, then the whole body is finished too. sadly it applies to us and we have the opportunity to 'right' the 'wrongs'. i am so saddened at these deaths. just imagine he military telling us just 150 deaths. are the dead chickens that they are just 150. God save us
I read a tweet that says "Directly and indirectly, we've exempted this Govt of their responsibilities".

Rather, these Tanoids support the Govts ineptitude.

2 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Releases Satellite Images Of Boko Haram Wreckage by PassingShot(m): 6:34am On Jan 15, 2015
Jidefido:

What has the bolded got to do with the topic of discus? That is the confusion you brought in that I refer to.

2 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Releases Satellite Images Of Boko Haram Wreckage by Nobody: 6:36am On Jan 15, 2015
PassingShot:

What has the bolded got to do with the topic of discus? That is the confusion you brought in that I refer to.

This is to show he is a neutral, he doesn't want to support any criminal

1 Like

Re: Amnesty International Releases Satellite Images Of Boko Haram Wreckage by ba7man(m): 6:37am On Jan 15, 2015
donnypool:

if you don't politicize this issue will you die? you think terrorism ends by electing different president? ask somalia, iraq, afghan etc how many president they have elected
Since the Man in power seems unable to curb the menace, do you continue with him or try someone else??

Its obvious he's nore concerned about smear campaigns to aid his re-election than the terrorist threat.

Boko Haram's territories keep growing daily under his watch but he's more concerned about Buhari's certificate.

7 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Releases Satellite Images Of Boko Haram Wreckage by PassingShot(m): 6:40am On Jan 15, 2015
donnypool:

Answer my question straight. Does the statement have any relevance with the topic? A "yes" or a "no" is all I need.

1 Like

Re: Amnesty International Releases Satellite Images Of Boko Haram Wreckage by Jidefido(m): 6:42am On Jan 15, 2015
PassingShot:

why did you not highlight the MEND part? Why Buhari alone? that shows how shallow your mind is. your brain is short sighted and needs to be checked asap

3 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Releases Satellite Images Of Boko Haram Wreckage by Jidefido(m): 6:44am On Jan 15, 2015
donnypool:

Oshe!!!!!!!!!! Feeble minded he is
Re: Amnesty International Releases Satellite Images Of Boko Haram Wreckage by Nobody: 6:45am On Jan 15, 2015
PassingShot:

Answer my question straight. Does the statement have any relevance with the topic? A "yes" or a "no" is all I need.

You dey ask me? i get anything to do with GEJ or Buhari? A "yes" or a "no" is all i need

1 Like

Re: Amnesty International Releases Satellite Images Of Boko Haram Wreckage by blym4real: 6:45am On Jan 15, 2015
Nigeria shall be free
Re: Amnesty International Releases Satellite Images Of Boko Haram Wreckage by Welrez(m): 6:46am On Jan 15, 2015
This is really saddening, we've to stop this carnage by all means. We seem to have been invaded by Nigeriens and Chadians.

2 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Releases Satellite Images Of Boko Haram Wreckage by PassingShot(m): 6:49am On Jan 15, 2015
Jidefido:

why did you not highlight the MEND part? Why Buhari alone? that shows how shallow your mind is. your brain is short sighted and needs to be checked asap

To say that you're clever by half will be an overstatement. You are dumb and you think everyone is as dumb as you.

The MEND part perfectly relates to the topic because it's still an insurgency act which you used to support GEJ's poor handling of the situation at hand.

You want to appear as apolitical but a disguised mole can always be fished out by sharp brains which you call shallow minds.

I can school you in many aspects of life. You wanna try me?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari Raises Alarm, Says Terrorists Returning To Embarrass Govt / Tinubu Pulls FCT Out Of TSA / Collation Officer In Igalama-Odolu Presents N50,000 Bribe Offered By Politicians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.