Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,373 members, 7,808,306 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:08 AM

Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? (28703 Views)

My Sister Is Married To The Most Chronic Cheat Ever. Please I Need Advice / 7 Reasons Why Married Men Cheat / Why We Cheat On Our Husbands - Nigerian Women Open Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? by raumdeuter: 3:37pm On Jan 15, 2015
Did you lie or steal when you were a child? Did your parents throw you out to show your new parent the new behavior

ANy misdeed of your partner, he/she must be thrown out.

if he/she abuses or insult you, then throw her out to show her next partner that she has changed, even if she forgot to cook your food or he forgot to leave money, throw them out till they learn how to behave

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jan 15, 2015
Some people are being touchy over Mynd44's post.

cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? by crackhaus: 3:46pm On Jan 15, 2015
5minsmadness:
Lmao...
You actually had to go bring my comment in response? grin

Lol, a lot of these folks on here can't read...
Or did you in any part of your OP state that the act of cheating is a mistake?

Na oga Mynd44 use him own hand type mistake enter this thread oo, and trust every subsequent poster to roll with it... mob mentality! gringrin

2 Likes

Re: Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? by pickabeau1: 3:54pm On Jan 15, 2015
Mynd44.. old school warrior
Once bitten always shy grin grin grin grin
Re: Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? by 5minsmadness: 4:09pm On Jan 15, 2015
crackhaus:

Lmao...
You actually had to go bring my comment in response? grin

Lol, a lot of these folks on here can't read...
Or did you in any part of your OP state that the act of cheating is a mistake?

Na oga Mynd44 use him own hand type mistake enter this thread oo, and trust every subsequent poster to roll with it... mob mentality! gringrin
Bros de thing tire me no be small oh.
Half the questions he has raised has been addressed yet he keeps raising them again and again.

And to be honest...my fingers hurt from all the typing sad
So na to copy and paste for any repeat question tongue
Re: Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? by Mynd44: 4:11pm On Jan 15, 2015
pickabeau1:
Mynd44.. old school warrior
Once bitten always shy grin grin grin grin
No mind these people. They say you can cheat by mistake

7 Likes

Re: Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jan 15, 2015
raumdeuter:
Would a sinner always be a sinner?

If Yes then whats the point of seeking forgiveness and whats the point of God forgiving us.

Maybe God should have killed everyone who commits one sin without giving him another chance

Lol, this cracked me up, and you're on the money. And these folks will start thumping the bible, and label themselves as Christians. Like seriously, who's perfect on this planet? Imperfection is what makes us all human.

In as much as I'm not a cheat, and I've never technically cheated on any chic I'm with (I don't just go into relationships with just anyone cos I want to be in one, it has to be someone I'm attracted to, and with qualities that will negate the lure of certain vices which might compromise loyalty - I take my time), I know there are serial cheaters and passive cheaters. And sometimes, you can be a victim of circumstance. Yes, you can make argument for serial cheaters not being able to change (to an extent) cos it might be more of an addiction for them, or their second nature. But a passive cheater can be salvaged - the person just needs a catalyst.

Anyway, not saying folks should stay with whoever cheats on them (that's an individual decision for the stakeholder to make). However, when folks start crucifying people for being a victim of circumstance, or making one wrong decision - then it's problematic. How about tell us how you have been perfect all ya life, without any blemish? I despise sanctimonious folks. grin

3 Likes

Re: Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? by pickabeau1: 4:24pm On Jan 15, 2015
Mynd44:

No mind these people. They say you can cheat by mistake

I feel your righteous anger and vengeance on this issue

But as a literary maestro you surely know that not all that happens is black or white

The act of fornication is rarely unpremeditated however there are more nuances than just a simple a cheat is always a cheat or a sinner a sinner forever

Surely you know that.... grin

2 Likes

Re: Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? by Mynd44: 4:32pm On Jan 15, 2015
pickabeau1:

I feel your righteous anger and vengeance on this issue

But as a literary maestro you surely know that not all that happens is black or white

The act of fornication is rarely unpremeditated however there are more nuances than just a simple a cheat is always a cheat or a sinner a sinner forever

Surely you know that.... grin
I accept that things happen and people do things but to call it a mistake is just an excuse.

In my opinion (my diary) I cant accept a cheat.

4 Likes

Re: Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? by pickabeau1: 4:38pm On Jan 15, 2015
Fair enough

However in some cases even the strictest of people have had to chill

I know a friend who accepted his wife who cheated on him

Im sure he will have said similar things to your POV a while earlier

Mynd44:

I accept that things happen and people do things but to call it a mistake is just an excuse.

In my opinion (my diary) I cant accept a cheat.
Re: Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jan 15, 2015
Mynd44, I like your reasoning.

Here's an opinion piece I found OL that might help shed light on the phrase "once a cheat, always a cheat". You'll notice that the meaning behind the phrase itself goes beyond the relationship, and touches a bit on social perception.

Once a cheater always a cheater doesn’t mean the cheater is going to run out and have an affair tomorrow just because they were forgiven, though they very well may. What it does mean is these people have been exposed for having a horrible set of character defects which allow them to murder love, find easy answers, repel decency, and ignore their responsibilities. When someone cheats we change our perception of them forever.

If they take so little care in their daily lives to be committed, to be honest. If they embrace deceit with abandon, then they are likely to apply this mentality to other things they do as well. How many cheaters, once discovered, hang onto jobs long term, build long term relationships easily, create a dynamic life centered on ethics and commitment? These are horribly broken people, and it’s shocking to spouses, friends, family, coworkers, and acquaintances, because these broken people were so effective at self deception and deceiving others that people bought off on what they perceived, and not the reality. Once that deficiency is revealed, people start to wake up to the true nature of the person and realize the massive amounts of self deception have impacted everything in their lives, including their spirituality, their work ethic, even their politics. Suddenly, non-judgmental, relativistic, and soft sell religions are the answer. Why?? Because the cheater doesn’t want what they’ve earned…like judgment? The awakening of their faults to the world? Or the scorn of people who now realize they propped up a fake? Why do you think so many people move after an affair?? To escape the now pervasive and overwhelming perception that everyone has of them, now that their secret is in the open.

Once a cheater always a cheater means the world’s perception of you has changed and will not change just because you want it to. You steal and do time, you’ve paid the price, right? But it’s not going to stop someone from making you the first suspect when their wallet disappears. Once a cheater, always a cheater means you can spend the rest of your life being a good and faithful person, and no one will ever fully believe you are capable of it…and guess what? You asked for that judgment! No one likes or trusts a cheater, once they know. Not even their spouse. Which is why it might be fun to sell the “marriage can be better than ever” crap, but decades later, spouses won’t ever truly trust their cheater partner again.

The other convenient truth left out in all these articles, which I’ve seen first hand in many of the couples I’ve talked to, is the infidelity, not the mutual love and admiration, trust, belief, or even partnership, becomes the centerpiece to the marriage. Is that anecdotal? Sure, and I’d like to see a long range study on that as well. 4 couples I’ve spoken to in the last 14 months, where I knew about the infidelity, and all of them tell me the same thing, their marriage, what’s left of it, is built on the infidelity. Not love. The betrayed take literally years to overcome the pain, and if they stick with their spouse the infidelity is the defining moment of their marriage forever. I’m a huge proponent of divorce after infidelity. It appears almost impossible for betrayed spouses to ever truly get past what has happened. If it’s not resentment they carry forever against their wayward spouse, then it’s lack of trust, belief, love, in some cases, the betrayed go to the same well, and have revenge affairs, inflicting more damage to the relationship. The cheaters rarely commit to the hard work not for weeks and months, but for years, to not only fix their marriage but honestly work through their own disturbed behavior issues. The damage becomes even more glaring when the level of lying, the lack of engagement post affair (due to fog), and refusal to do uncomfortable things to fix the relationship further hinder the progress couples can make. The obstacles are almost too many to count. The wayward thinks the affair ending is the end of the hurt and doesn’t freely give the details the betrayed so deeply need. The betrayed look for lies in everything and usually find it.

When it becomes clear to both parties that cheating is a form of severe emotional abuse by the wayward spouse, the anger, regret, hurt, and so forth almost invariably eat away at any real progress both parties make. Cruelty from the wayward is in every act, every word, every breath. They become monsters in the eyes of the betrayed. Better to spend that time as a betrayed spouse healing, getting better, and finding someone who has values and ethics, and let the wayward spouse do what they so desperately want to do, which is wallow in their own filth. So one a cheat, always a cheat? Yes. That’s what they want, and that’s what they become.

2 Likes

Re: Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? by pickabeau1: 4:59pm On Jan 15, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:
Mynd44, I like your reasoning.

Here's an opinion piece I found OL that might help shed light on the phrase "once a cheat, always a cheat". You'll notice that the meaning behind the phrase itself goes beyond the relationship, and touches a bit on social perception.

In that case there is no need for redemption or confession since you also do not believe in the psychopap
NO second chances in ANYTHING for you

Kudos
Re: Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jan 15, 2015
pickabeau1:

In that case there is no need for redemption or confession since you also do not believe in the psychopap
NO second chances in ANYTHING for you

Kudos

If I ever hurt or offend him in either word or action to the point that he can't forgive me, what can I do other than accept the consequence of my action(s)?
Re: Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? by pickabeau1: 5:40pm On Jan 15, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

If I ever hurt or offend him in either word or action to the point that he can't forgive me, what can I do other than accept the consequence of my action(s)?

Interesting my reference was not about cheating
Your OL article infers once a thief always a thief
Henct my point

No redemption where u are concerned
Re: Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? by Fkforyou(m): 6:11pm On Jan 15, 2015
It depends on the individual..... but most people who cheat are weak willed and are easily swayed by emotion,they can make the most terrible decision only to regret it the next moment,its like its part of their DNA....so yes they can change,but only for the main time until another opportunity presents itself. The best thing to do is to forgive them but cut them lose.
The most important attributes of cheat is that they are very selfish,narcissistic and possessive and won't like to be cheated on.
But on the far end of the spectrum are individuals who are very principled,they are also very rare,them cheating may be as a result of circumstances, like blackmail, poverty... e.t.c. so for them its a one time thing..

1 Like

Re: Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jan 15, 2015
It annoys me when I hear this phrase " mistakenly cheated", genitals are not banana peels ,people don't trip on it and mistakenly fall on another's. I don't know if cheaters ever change but they are better off left in their lane , it is safer that way.

5 Likes

Re: Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? by Mynd44: 7:20pm On Jan 15, 2015
byvan:
It annoys me when I hear this phrase " mistakenly cheated", genitals are not banana peels ,people don't trip on it and mistakenly fall on another's. I don't know if cheaters ever change but they are better off left in their lane , it is safer that way.
cheesy
Re: Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jan 15, 2015
Re: Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? by lolababe331e: 8:06pm On Jan 15, 2015
A few cheats change but that is generally the minority. Most people who cheat will always come up with excuses for doing so and they keep repeating the cycle.

As for me you get one chance, I can forgive and move on if you cheat once but if it happens again it means the person has refused to learn and I won't put my life in danger by staying with such a person
Re: Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? by Nobody: 9:04pm On Jan 15, 2015
Fkforyou:
It depends on the individual..... but most people who cheat are weak willed and are easily swayed by emotion,they can make the most terrible decision only to regret it the next moment,its like its part of their DNA....so yes they can change,but only for the main time until another opportunity presents itself. The best thing to do is to forgive them but cut them lose.
The most important attributes of cheat is that they are very selfish,narcissistic and possessive and won't like to be cheated on.
But on the far end of the spectrum are individuals who are very principled,they are also very rare,them cheating may be as a result of circumstances, like blackmail, poverty... e.t.c. so for them its a one time thing..

Err, I'll speak from a male perspective, since you're also a male.

Personally, I wouldn't attribute any form of cheating to being "weak willed and being easily swayed by emotions." It's deeper than that. Yes, the allure is always there. However, what you failed to acknowledge is the fact that the society sees it as a norm, in the male context. So, you can't use weakness as a premise, when it's viewed as the norm/strength albeit ridiculous morally.

You can even correlate cheating (in the male context cos I'm speaking from the perspective I understand and can relate to) with drinking alcohol - since, from a moral stand-point, both can be adjudged to be wrong. But both are normal things people do. With alcohol: you have alcoholics/drunkards, social drinkers, folks who drink cos they need to get away from something (victim of circumstance), and those who will just try it a few times for whatever reason. Once you take the different levels of drinking alcohol I alluded to, and relate it to cheating - using serial cheaters, social cheaters (passive), victim of circumstance, and those who will try it - you'll see the convergence.

So, saying a cheat can't change is akin to saying anyone who has ever tasted alcohol can never change. Even serial cheaters with habitual urge to cheat, like alcoholics, can be salvaged to an extent. It just depends on if they're either early or late bloomers.

2 Likes

Re: Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? by Nobody: 9:14pm On Jan 15, 2015
SirShymex:
However, what you failed to acknowledge is the fact that the society sees it as a norm, in the male context. So, you can't use weakness as a premise, when it's viewed as the norm/strength albeit ridiculous morally.
I would rather prefer that you use "family".
The bolded is so annoying- what concerns society with an unfaithful man?

*Grabs my popcorn*

3 Likes

Re: Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jan 15, 2015
FrancisTony:

I would rather prefer that you use "family".
The bolded is so annoying- what concerns society with an unfaithful man?

*Grabs my popcorn*

Lol, you probably live in Nibiru with the green men - not planet earth.

Shout me when the space-craft drops you on this planet lool.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jan 15, 2015
SirShymex:

Lol, you probably live in Nibiru with the green men - not planet earth.

Shout me when the space-craft drops you on this planet lool.
Sorry! Only Village and uncivilised men think that way. tongue

It will never be my business if any man or women cheat. I beg to differ on that society aspect.

5 Likes

Re: Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? by babygirlfl: 9:41pm On Jan 15, 2015
Very few cheat change most don't.
Re: Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jan 15, 2015
FrancisTony:

Sorry! Only Village and uncivilised men think that way. tongue

It will never be my business if any man or women cheat. I beg to differ on that society aspect.

Lol, the irony of a primeval illiterate village turd, stuck in some desolate part of the planet, talking about folks being uncivilised.

What won't I read on this forum.

Better leave ya village and get with the real world. grin

4 Likes

Re: Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jan 15, 2015
SirShymex:

Lol, the irony of a primeval illiterate village turd, stuck in some desolate part of the planet, talking about folks being uncivilised.

What won't I read on this forum.

Better leave ya village and get with the real world. grin
*Sigh* Okay

You just proved me right..

8 Likes

Re: Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? by Dheartless: 9:50pm On Jan 15, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Change is hardly constant.

I think you need understanding. I never agreed with that comparison, but then again that wasn't what I addressed now was it? It appears you forgot to include yourself in your prayer.
o well prayer for intercession didn't work
it seems god also thinks once an enlightenfool always an enlightenfool

i will just stick to the advice " silence is the best answer to fool"

i meant no insult grin

1 Like

Re: Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? by Nobody: 11:12pm On Jan 15, 2015
Dheartless:

o well prayer for intercession didn't work
it seems god also thinks once an enlightenfool always an enlightenfool

i will just stick to the advice " silence is the best answer to fool"

i meant no insult grin

All that's left now is to stick to your 'advice'. Oh, and no more prayers of intercession, thanks. No offense.

Ta.
Re: Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? by Nobody: 11:54pm On Jan 15, 2015
pickabeau1:

Interesting my reference was not about cheating
Your OL article infers once a thief always a thief
Henct my point

No redemption where u are concerned

Neither was mine. If you re-read my comment, you'll realize that I was speaking in general terms. There's absolutely no point in carrying out such deception - I know my way to the exit.

What I meant to convey is that I deserve all the judgement placed on me regarding my action towards the wronged individual based on their own perception, and values. Everyone has their palate. There's no 'redemption' in cheating for me, but that's not to say you won't get your 'redemption' elsewhere.

And yes, if you steal from me I will know you for the thief that you are. Even if you somehow get help with the problem, my image of you has been marred in that respect, and as a result, I will not leave my nice things around you. That's just good sense on my part.

4 Likes

Re: Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? by LordReed(m): 12:11am On Jan 16, 2015
5minsmadness:

Anybody can make a mistake, not all people are saints.
A person can cheat willingly on his/her partner and realise later on it was a mistake i.e be sorry for what he/she has done.

One cannot cheat by mistake. Realising that your cheating is bad is not the same as making a mistake. Except the person was used against their will, anyone who cheats had a hand in it and was fully conscious of their actions.

8 Likes

Re: Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? by 5minsmadness: 12:32am On Jan 16, 2015
LordReed:

One cannot cheat by mistake. Realising that your cheating is bad is not the same as making a mistake. Except the person was used against their will, anyone who cheats had a hand in it and was fully conscious of their actions.

Mistake: (noun:mîstæké) an action or judgement that is misguided or wrong.
@OxfordDictionary

Now lordreed, mynd44 et al; is cheating on a partner a wrong/misguided action?

A simple Yes/No will suffice.
It will be fun to see how you guys wriggle out of this. smiley
Re: Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? by pickabeau1: 4:51am On Jan 16, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Neither was mine. If you re-read my comment, you'll realize that I was speaking in general terms. There's absolutely no point in carrying out such a deception - I know my way to the exit.

What I meant to convey is that I deserve all the judgement placed on me regarding my actions towards the wronged individual based on their own perception, and values. And everyone has their palate. There's no 'redemption' in cheating for me, that's not to say you won't get your 'redemption' elsewhere.

And yes, if you steal from me, I will know you for the thief that you are. Even if you somehow get help with the problem, my image of you has been marred in that respect, and as a result, I will not leave my nice things around you. That's just good sense on my part.

OK...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Help! This Boy Is Missing / Pregnant Women And Weird Cravings! Share Your Story About Anyone!! / What Is The Benefit Of Marriage To A Man in this present time?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.